Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Admiralty Flag posted:

Sorry, I wasn't clear in what I meant. I meant that I learned how to play from a video that I could (with a review of the rules to catch any gaps) teach Dune:Imperium. Concordia's even easier to teach because 90% of the rules are on the cards you play in the game. (The game rules are literally the front & back of a page.)

However, I must have had a total brain fart because I'm a big 7 Wonders stan and don't know how I missed recommending it as a solution for both your problems! Azul is a lot of fun too. You should be happy with your choices.

Gotcha, I still think they're in reach but for a more dedicated group. Having just played 7 Wonders I think the group was intimidated by the rules at first but found them breezy by end of game one. My feeling is that games'll always seem more complicated than they are til you play.

Anyway, easily claimed my first and only victory so far with a 52 point Rhodos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Played It's A Wonderful World recently and kind of fell in love. It's a drafting game like 7 Wonders with a really quick four rounds, that's set up so the rounds are really meaty and let you build up a little engine quickly. Not a ton of player interaction but I was hate drafting and competing with players across the table way more than in 7W.

I was wondering if anyone here has put a lot of time into it, and if it has legs after a dozen plays or so.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Gotcha, I still think they're in reach but for a more dedicated group. Having just played 7 Wonders I think the group was intimidated by the rules at first but found them breezy by end of game one. My feeling is that games'll always seem more complicated than they are til you play.

Anyway, easily claimed my first and only victory so far with a 52 point Rhodos.

My LGS custom ordered a game for me (Tigris and Euphrates) back in the day. Had to pay MSRP though. If you’re dedicated to supporting then, though, ask them to order something. They should have a supplier they can get you the game from.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

an actual dog posted:

Played It's A Wonderful World recently and kind of fell in love. It's a drafting game like 7 Wonders with a really quick four rounds, that's set up so the rounds are really meaty and let you build up a little engine quickly. Not a ton of player interaction but I was hate drafting and competing with players across the table way more than in 7W.

I was wondering if anyone here has put a lot of time into it, and if it has legs after a dozen plays or so.

Yeah I’ve been playing it a bit recently too. About six plays and yes, holding up because the little sequencing puzzle in terms of production seems to give it just enough depth without slowing it down too much. Probably the other aspect of variety is it feels quite different to me at various player counts.

I have been thinking about the expansion but not sure it really needs it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

an actual dog posted:

I've played a dozen or so games on BGA now and still liking it. Being a drafting game the digital version is faster but the game itself holds up though I'm not convinced about the game balance in asymmetric mode. Aztecs win a lot of games.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

fr0id posted:

My LGS custom ordered a game for me (Tigris and Euphrates) back in the day. Had to pay MSRP though. If you’re dedicated to supporting then, though, ask them to order something. They should have a supplier they can get you the game from.

My sister went ahead and ordered Modern Art online before I saw this post! (She's super excited for it after we watched the How to Play together, thinks it's hilarious) The LGS is local to her but not me, I'd just rather give money to any LGS than Amazon. I'll let her know

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

fr0id posted:

I've done this a bunch too. Support your friendly local game store if you can afford to pay a little more to give your money to them instead of Jeff Bezos, and support them if if they provide a service to you such as hosting a public board game night. However, don't feel the need to support a local game store if they are not so friendly to you or others, as is unfortunately the case sometimes.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Downloaded the f2p Dominion and the two AI games I played both ended for reasons I don't understand? Provinces were not depleted nor three supply piles

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Two supply piles plus curses?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Or a game with the Properity expansion's Colonies?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Aramoro posted:

I've played a dozen or so games on BGA now and still liking it. Being a drafting game the digital version is faster but the game itself holds up though I'm not convinced about the game balance in asymmetric mode. Aztecs win a lot of games.

Yeah the manual says that the asymmetric mode is just for learning the game, it's not balanced at all. Honestly it probably shouldn't be there.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

silvergoose posted:

Two supply piles plus curses?

Magnetic North posted:

Or a game with the Properity expansion's Colonies?

No expansions. I figured it out though... I wasn't counting victory cards, treasures, or curses as part of the supply pile.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Downloaded the f2p Dominion and the two AI games I played both ended for reasons I don't understand? Provinces were not depleted nor three supply piles

I assume one of the depleted piles was Curses (as someone mentioned above).

I remember the Curse pile emptying being a shock for me when I first played the digital version. In paper we had messed up and always played with more than the rules specify. (To be fair to us, the correct Curse count is kind of awkward - "10 for each player beyond the first")

Edit: ah beaten several ways.

In new content... man I wish the expansions on Steam were cheaper by... a lot. They're like $15 CDN... it'd be hundreds of dollars ($213.28 CDN) to get them all. I like Dominion and all... but that's way too much.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Sep 17, 2022

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Getting one at a time still adds tons or replay value, especially some of the later ones with good mixes of cards and mechanics.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

jmzero posted:

I remember the Curse pile emptying being a shock for me when I first played the digital version. In paper we had messed up and always played with more than the rules specify. (To be fair to us, the correct Curse count is kind of awkward - "10 for each player beyond the first")

There's 10 Curses per opponent, such that a regular curser — like Witch's "Each other player gains a Curse." — will deplete the Curse pile after 10 plays total, regardless of the number of players in the game, and assuming no Reactions get in the way. It is worded slightly confusingly though!

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

So I got my copy of Twilight Inscription in the mail today and was excited for any discussion about it, so I made the inadvisable choice of checking out the BGG forum only to see poo poo like this.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2933844/colonialism-disclaimer/page/1

I guess it's nice to be reminded every once in a while that my hobby isn't immune to chud infiltration.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

It's really sad to see those responses.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

rydiafan posted:

So I got my copy of Twilight Inscription in the mail today and was excited for any discussion about it, so I made the inadvisable choice of checking out the BGG forum only to see poo poo like this.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2933844/colonialism-disclaimer/page/1

I guess it's nice to be reminded every once in a while that my hobby isn't immune to chud infiltration.

At least it's only one guy, and he's being shot down from all sides.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Jedit posted:

At least it's only one guy, and he's being shot down from all sides.

Uh I count at least four on the first page? Someone cancelling their pre-order (which is fair enough if you're a loving crybaby chud), someone calling it silly a waste of space, someone calling it 'virtue signalling' and someone dismissing it comparing it to Winnie the Pooh.

BGG's community really is a shithole.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
And yet somehow it used to be so much worse.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I’m sorry, a $65 roll and write? What’s in the box?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Magnetic North posted:

Uh I count at least four on the first page? Someone cancelling their pre-order (which is fair enough if you're a loving crybaby chud), someone calling it silly a waste of space, someone calling it 'virtue signalling' and someone dismissing it comparing it to Winnie the Pooh.

BGG's community really is a shithole.

I thought several of those were the same guy? Certainly it's just the one guy who keeps trying to fight his corner.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Infiltration? The grogs have been here all along!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

I’m sorry, a $65 roll and write? What’s in the box?

A 3.38 weight 2 hour distillation of a 4-12 hour game.

It’s excellent.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

A 3.38 weight 2 hour distillation of a 4-12 hour game.

It’s excellent.

This.

Also 32 double-sided laminated player boards, 8 markers, a bunch of cards, and dice.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Eh, the game is still just deciding where to check boxes that let you check more boxes. There’s just a lot more boxes. Just like Hadrians Wall, it doesn’t use the concept in a novel way it just made the process a lot longer.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
gamedescriber.txt

Bottom Liner posted:

Eh, the game is still just deciding where to ___ that let you ___ more ___. There’s just a lot more ___. Just like ___, it doesn’t use the concept in a novel way it just made the process a lot ___.

[Verb]
[Verb]
[Noun]
[Noun]
[Other game]
[Duration]

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Eh, the game is still just deciding where to place cubes that let you get more victory points. There’s just a lot more cubes. Just like lords of waterdeep, it doesn’t use the concept in a novel way it just made the process a lot more Mediterranean.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I got my copy of Star Trek: Super-Skill Pinball and I'm kinda enjoying it, even as a solo experience. I tried the Academy table which is very simple but still had some interesting timing implications in order to score the big points. Overall I really like the system: it's very simple but actually does simulate playing a pinball machine in a relatively interesting way, especially while using a roll and write package, which I'm not usually that fond of. Overall I would recommend it if you are interested in a solo experience (even if you play with more than solo, there's very little interaction, apart from specific rules on specific boards). Hadn't tried any of the Super Skill Pinball games, are the other two games good? How is Star Trek in comparison to them?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

PRADA SLUT posted:

gamedescriber.txt

[Verb]
[Verb]
[Noun]
[Noun]
[Other game]
[Duration]

Eh, the game is still just deciding where to poop that let you poop more toilets. There’s just a lot more toilets. Just like Poop Tracks, it doesn’t use the concept in a novel way it just made the process a lot more like the time it takes to poop.

Did my first grade mad libs skills do this right?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Not going to quote the talking toilet but :lol: at trying to be reductive and completely missing the point. Changing the words to not be all the same makes it an actual game and proves the entire point I was making. If a worker placement game only gave you more workers to place to get more workers it would be equally derided.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Tekopo posted:

I got my copy of Star Trek: Super-Skill Pinball and I'm kinda enjoying it, even as a solo experience. I tried the Academy table which is very simple but still had some interesting timing implications in order to score the big points. Overall I really like the system: it's very simple but actually does simulate playing a pinball machine in a relatively interesting way, especially while using a roll and write package, which I'm not usually that fond of. Overall I would recommend it if you are interested in a solo experience (even if you play with more than solo, there's very little interaction, apart from specific rules on specific boards). Hadn't tried any of the Super Skill Pinball games, are the other two games good? How is Star Trek in comparison to them?

4-Cade (the first one) is the only one I've played but it is definitely worth picking up if you're enjoying the Star Trek one.

e: I believe one of the tables from 4-Cade is available as a free PNP online too if you want to try it out

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 17, 2022

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Twilight Inscription looks really cool and I'd love to give it a shot. Anyone know if it has more player interaction than some of these other games? Like, I'm not looking for some super crazy deathmatch game, but I found playing multiplayer Railroad Ink and 4-Cade a bit boring just because there's nothing you can do to interact with your opponents in any way. Something like Cartographers, where you can (even just occasionally) draw them some monsters, or Ganz Schön Clever where your choice of dice influence what dice your opponents get at the end of the round, incentivizing you to look at their sheet and pick accordingly.

I'm usually fine with very low interaction games so long as that amount isn't zero.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

The only direct player interaction in Twilight Inscription is a "compare a number with each of your neighbors" war event ala Seven Wonders.

A game is either 23 or 25 rounds long, and 4 of those rounds are wars.

Edit: I lied. There are also three voting phases, if you consider those to be player interaction.

rydiafan fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 18, 2022

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I played Fleet: the Dice Game recently and it has dice drafting, so you can screw the players that follow you by taking away what they’re working on. I only played it solo so I’m not sure how fun or competitive that makes it but I enjoyed the game overall

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

PRADA SLUT posted:

Eh, the game is still just deciding where to place cubes that let you get more victory points. There’s just a lot more cubes. Just like lords of waterdeep, it doesn’t use the concept in a novel way it just made the process a lot more Mediterranean.

Ok I know a lot of you have various reasons you get upset at Prada but this is pretty good

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

If you also can’t read and misunderstand the entire point.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Tried the Lower Decks board for Super-Skill Pinball and I dig the gimmick, although I scored a huge amount of points in the first attempt on it. The gimmick is that you only have one round, and only have 8 total flipper spaces, but every block of 10 points has a different orientation for the board. Basically, you have 2 sets of flippers, and your aim is to constantly change the orientation of the board so that you don't actually have to use the flipper spaces at all: it's an interesting balancing act and I thought it was really neat.

I really like the variety in boards I've tried so far. Think I'm gonna order 4-cade and have a look at those boards as well.

Edit; Oh wow, guess I played it wrong, no wonder I scored so much. Multiball doesn't double score in Lower Decks, but there was a printing error on the board itself.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Viper915 posted:

Ok I know a lot of you have various reasons you get upset at Prada but this is pretty good

It's true, that one wasn't bad :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Played some Fangs in Spirit Island yesterday and I ended up gaining a card each turn (I usually don't gain one on the first turn).

Turn 1 : growth through sacrifice
Turn 2 : blood draws predators
Turn 3 : gift of constancy

Spirit Island ... is good