Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

eke out posted:

yeah to me they're similar to seeing some crazy flavored 12% abv beer, i kinda want to try it to see what it's like but i really want a sip not a whole bag

Honestly give them a shot, their flavors are strong but they still taste like Coffee, I ripped through the pound I got of it in record time for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So today my Gaggia classic pro came in, yay. My bottomless portafilter also came in but it's damaged... I have no idea what happened but the underside of it is marred in a way that I really don't think I happened to do by accident in the five minutes I was holding it. Will follow up tomorrow!

I'm still waiting on my Eureka Chrono to come in so I don't really have a grinder. With that in mind I still wanted to try the machine so I tried using preground lavazza in the bottomless portafilter and it was a little spray-y. Guess you need more than a tiny bit of coffee to provide the resistance needed for a bottomless?

bizwank posted:

You don't want to gently caress around with scale in the Gaggia; the boiler is very soft aluminum so it's prone to pitting as soon as any scale starts to build up, and the water passage through the solenoid to the group is about the diameter of a small paperclip so the tiniest piece of anything will block it and then no more espresso. I'd do it 3-4 times a year to be safe, and probably use the Gaggia product just in case it was formulated with that specific boiler in mind. Don't forget to backflush too.

The upside is that the boilers are ridiculously cheap (like $25 retail) so they're not cost-prohibitive to replace if it comes to that.

Thanks, I'll likely do that and descale more often than needed just out of caution. When are you supposed to backflush? After I pull shots I've been flushing it quickly and then wiping the shower screen with a clean cloth, then flushing it again. Not sure if that's needed or whatever but I just don't want old coffee on the screen.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

nwin posted:

Wow, isn’t Hoffmans only 15g?

Yeah. It was a little too weak for my taste, so 25g at 10 to 1 is where I settled.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

Thanks, I'll likely do that and descale more often than needed just out of caution. When are you supposed to backflush? After I pull shots I've been flushing it quickly and then wiping the shower screen with a clean cloth, then flushing it again. Not sure if that's needed or whatever but I just don't want old coffee on the screen.
I usually recommend once a month or so; you'll be able to see how much crud is coming out into the tray and adjust your intervals accordingly. It'll keep the group and backside of the screen clean, and is preferable to removing the screen to clean it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

RichterIX posted:

Honestly give them a shot, their flavors are strong but they still taste like Coffee, I ripped through the pound I got of it in record time for me.

lol no, that's my opinion as someone who has tried a shitload of anaerobics and experiments

eke out fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 14, 2022

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

eke out posted:

lol no, that's my opinion as someone who has tried a shitload of anaerobics and experiments

Sorry, I complete misread the meaning of your post!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

VelociBacon posted:

So today my Gaggia classic pro came in, yay. My bottomless portafilter also came in but it's damaged... I have no idea what happened but the underside of it is marred in a way that I really don't think I happened to do by accident in the five minutes I was holding it. Will follow up tomorrow!

I'm still waiting on my Eureka Chrono to come in so I don't really have a grinder. With that in mind I still wanted to try the machine so I tried using preground lavazza in the bottomless portafilter and it was a little spray-y. Guess you need more than a tiny bit of coffee to provide the resistance needed for a bottomless?

I exclusively use a bottomless portafilter and even with a perfect shot (time and weight) I might get the odd little squirt off so I don’t think it’s a major. WDT tool helped reduce them though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Anyone need Filtro Pro 50mm Eureka Mignon burrs? Took mine out immediately to swap espresso burrs in. SA-Mart thread here. I'm asking $30 CAD which I think is very reasonable!

Red_Fred posted:

I exclusively use a bottomless portafilter and even with a perfect shot (time and weight) I might get the odd little squirt off so I don’t think it’s a major. WDT tool helped reduce them though.

Yeah fair enough, I'm also having to be more disciplined with my tamping than I was with the pressurized basket.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Bandire posted:

Those seem like super fast draw times to me. Maybe grind finer?

I usually do 100g of water, then 25g coffee ground on the finer side, then 150g more water. Steep 2 minutes, stir and wait 30 seconds, then draw time of maybe a minute? It's a variation of Hoffman's recipe. I like it pretty strong.

This is pretty good. Reminds me of the Aeropresses I used to make. Draw time was like 10 seconds again, I'll have to revisit my grind setting and show you guys.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Generally, if you want to increase body/texture, you need to decrease yield (lower the ratio) or increase extraction (increase drawdown time at the same ratio.

What filters are you using? One thing that can gently caress with body is thick filters.

IMO, start with grinding finer (try like 17) and keeping the same ratio. 25 seconds drawdown sounds fast, and 10 is way too fast.

I will try this on my next run, I'm just using the papers which came with the Clever Dripper.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

FYI if anyone is in the market for an entry-level grinder (or thinking about Christmas gifts), just got notice that Oct 1st - Nov 30th the Encore will be on sale for like the first time ever. MAP will be $135 (normally $169.99).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

bizwank posted:

FYI if anyone is in the market for an entry-level grinder (or thinking about Christmas gifts), just got notice that Oct 1st - Nov 30th the Encore will be on sale for like the first time ever. MAP will be $135 (normally $169.99).

I assume because the ESP encore is launching soon.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I have a cold brew pitcher with the filter cylinder thing in the middle; what's the ratio of grinds to water I want? Like if it can be filled with 1 litre of water how much coffee in grams do I want?

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

obi_ant posted:

This is pretty good. Reminds me of the Aeropresses I used to make. Draw time was like 10 seconds again, I'll have to revisit my grind setting and show you guys.

I will try this on my next run, I'm just using the papers which came with the Clever Dripper.

I timed my draw this morning, and it was 75 seconds. I would think it would take more than 10 seconds to draw down if you just dumped whole beans in the Clever. That seems crazy fast.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

Raenir Salazar posted:

I have a cold brew pitcher with the filter cylinder thing in the middle; what's the ratio of grinds to water I want? Like if it can be filled with 1 litre of water how much coffee in grams do I want?

For cold brew I just load it up with leftover beans and fill it up with water, and play it as it lands.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

depends how strong you want your concentrate, but 1:5 ish is what i use. End strength will be 1:15 after diluting the concentrate 2:1. The cylinder should be pretty full but not tightly packed, since you want water to be able to circulate (convect? diffuse?) freely.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

If I'm getting a tiny amount of grinds in my espresso at the bottom of the shot, I'm grinding too fine aren't I? I'm using a precision basket (IMS Baristapro nanotech) so I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

I can't use time 20-30s etc right now because my unmodded gaggia is pushing 14bar.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 16, 2022

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

hypnophant posted:

depends how strong you want your concentrate, but 1:5 ish is what i use. End strength will be 1:15 after diluting the concentrate 2:1. The cylinder should be pretty full but not tightly packed, since you want water to be able to circulate (convect? diffuse?) freely.

I think I filled it about halfway with 60g, and about more or less full (50oz?) of water. Hopefully this works :ohdear:

I basically make Japanese style ice-coffee where its a pour over ice and is a bit involved but I can drink it black it turns out. But I also want to have coffee preprepared so some mornings I can have coffee right away.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

VelociBacon posted:

If I'm getting a tiny amount of grinds in my espresso at the bottom of the shot, I'm grinding too fine aren't I? I'm using a precision basket (IMS Baristapro nanotech) so I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

I can't use time 20-30s etc right now because my unmodded gaggia is pushing 14bar.

I don't use a machine so I'm out of my element here, but 14 bar probably means you have to grind that fine to have sufficient resistance.

Until you can moderate the pressure, what about adding filter paper?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

I don't use a machine so I'm out of my element here, but 14 bar probably means you have to grind that fine to have sufficient resistance.

Until you can moderate the pressure, what about adding filter paper?

Well I was making my grind finer when this started happening because I was trying to aim for a longer extraction time so I'll probably just step it back up to just enough that I don't have any fines in the cup. You're right though, filter paper cut down to a circle would probably fix that and some people do like the taste difference that makes also.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

Well I was making my grind finer when this started happening because I was trying to aim for a longer extraction time so I'll probably just step it back up to just enough that I don't have any fines in the cup. You're right though, filter paper cut down to a circle would probably fix that and some people do like the taste difference that makes also.

Fines are a reality of most grinders that are not high end commercial level (and even then you can still get some).

IIRC, the fines will reduce once you reduce the pressure. But they’re not an inherent issue. If you really want to get rid of them, the filter paper is the way. I just personally don’t like the taste the filter paper introduces (even washed).

I think he covers fines in this video?

https://youtu.be/er2voEn8ZDU

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop
Trying to find a spring lever machine is an exercise in frustration. The Microcasa is not my ~aesthetic~, the Cremina SL is $4k, the Argos is ugly plus I'm not convinced it's actually coming out, and almost all the other ones are massive, commercial grade machines. I've been saving for about a year for an upgrade but it's hard to hit the add to cart button on a Cremina, even with the buy-it-for-life reputation.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Spiggy posted:

Trying to find a spring lever machine is an exercise in frustration. The Microcasa is not my ~aesthetic~, the Cremina SL is $4k, the Argos is ugly plus I'm not convinced it's actually coming out, and almost all the other ones are massive, commercial grade machines. I've been saving for about a year for an upgrade but it's hard to hit the add to cart button on a Cremina, even with the buy-it-for-life reputation.

Fwiw argos just posted to lock in color options on the preorders to ensure no delays.

quote:

Hello all! A lot of busy days and late nights the past few weeks testing and working with suppliers.

Please lock in your color options and add-ons as soon as possible to avoid more delays! Do not wait until the last minute, decide now. William is working on compiling everyone’s orders and sending out a confirmation email. When you receive the email (give us time to get it all together) please only reply is there is an issue. Getting almost 600 emails back from everyone will slow us down significantly. If everything looks good then please do not reply.

I received a first pass back on the user manual with graphics which looks great. A few more iterations on that and it should be set for printing.
Hardware
We finally got the Molex auto crimper tuned and operational. Shop techs have started crimping wires this week and are knocking them out like it’s nothing!

Of course more shipment receiving issues but and initial batch of spouted portafilters and more bottomless portafilter just arrived at the shop yesterday.

We didn’t love some small hardware samples that we received previously so we’ve been ordering a few more samples of everything to get the exact fit and finish that we expect. Several more production batches of hardware have been ordered for the samples that have passed our inspection.

Last week we had our electronics designer out on site in Denver to dial in low fluid level sensing as well as ensuring boards are production ready. We tested on hard city water all the way up to pure distilled water to ensure functionality.

We’ve been working hard on getting our inventory tracking software set up with everything that we’ve currently got in the shop as well as parts still on the way. We should be able to use this software to keep track of QA throughout the build.

Testing the low fluid level sensor with various water qualities.
Crimping Thermocouple Wires.

Production Spouted Portafilters.
Software
Minor software updates for fluid level sensing and shot temp improvements.
Sincerely,

Ross Ainsworth

https://www.odysseyespresso.com

nwin fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 17, 2022

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Could a lay person distinguish the difference between glass ceramic and plastic v60?

I recently picked up a gooseneck Kettle and I'm curious to give the v60 a try.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

Could a lay person distinguish the difference between glass ceramic and plastic v60?

The reason to prefer the plastic v60 is that it doesn’t absorb much heat and insulates well, so the average temperature will usually stay a degree or two hotter over the brew. You can preheat the glass/ ceramic v60 to compensate, so it’s mostly a qol thing, but a couple degree difference is something you would definitely notice in side-by-side tasting even if you don’t have the palate to pick it out in a single cup.

The plastic v60 is also admirably cheap, if you’re just trying it out, but if you really love the ceramic and want to go for it, it’s not a wrong choice.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

nwin posted:

Fwiw argos just posted to lock in color options on the preorders to ensure no delays.

I hadn't heard of the Argos before and now I'm really curious. Have reviewers actually tried it? Seems like the logical next step from my flair 2 pro and having a steam wand would make my wife really happy for milk drinks. I wouldn't want to take too much of a hit on quality, though. Love my flair shots.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

hypnophant posted:

The reason to prefer the plastic v60 is that it doesn’t absorb much heat and insulates well, so the average temperature will usually stay a degree or two hotter over the brew. You can preheat the glass/ ceramic v60 to compensate, so it’s mostly a qol thing, but a couple degree difference is something you would definitely notice in side-by-side tasting even if you don’t have the palate to pick it out in a single cup.

The plastic v60 is also admirably cheap, if you’re just trying it out, but if you really love the ceramic and want to go for it, it’s not a wrong choice.
You can presumably work around this by preheating the ceramic one but that’s a bit wasteful. The ceramic one does look really nice though!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bruxism posted:

I hadn't heard of the Argos before and now I'm really curious. Have reviewers actually tried it? Seems like the logical next step from my flair 2 pro and having a steam wand would make my wife really happy for milk drinks. I wouldn't want to take too much of a hit on quality, though. Love my flair shots.

I haven’t seen Hoffman or any other reviewers talk about even receiving a unit yet. The manufacturer has been at a few expos and posts on instagram with videos of it being used, but that’s it so far.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Bioshuffle posted:

If you want to avoid plastic and are willing to spend a bit more, take a look at the Switch. You get a v60 and an immersion brewing method. Additionally, preheating the brewer is a lot easier than a standard glass/ceramic v60 since you can plug the hole and just fill it up with hot water vs having to do a bit of continuous pouring/steaming it.

nwin posted:

I haven’t seen Hoffman or any other reviewers talk about even receiving a unit yet. The manufacturer has been at a few expos and posts on instagram with videos of it being used, but that’s it so far.

There is an Argos thread in Espresso Aficionados' lever-machines channel that has a bit more content than what's on instagram. It's not much more, but it's something for anyone wanting to dig in a bit more.
https://discord.gg/espresso

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Help! I drank too many funky light roasts and now when I go to coffee shops espresso tastes burnt :argh:

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The crushing weight of knowing

Wanderless
Apr 30, 2009
I ended up getting a Hario Switch (rather than a clever dripper) and I'm very happy. Nicely avoids the coffee paradox and if I want to make a full-effort v60 it will do that as well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The cold brew I've been making since my last post has been pretty good! Very smooth.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Help! I drank too many funky light roasts and now when I go to coffee shops espresso tastes burnt :argh:

this summer I made the mistake of ordering a cup of V60 brewed coffee from what used to be one of my favourite cafes back in the day :negative:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I would still rather have a traditional italian-style espresso shot than chance getting a thimble of lemon juice at a hipster coffee place. Office drip coffee and auto/semi-auto machines have been completely ruined by getting into specialty v60s and the like though.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

thotsky posted:

I would still rather have a traditional italian-style espresso shot than chance getting a thimble of lemon juice at a hipster coffee place. Office drip coffee and auto/semi-auto machines have been completely ruined by getting into specialty v60s and the like though.

Have you ever been able to try a properly extracted light roast espresso? The first time I was able to try one from a friend's kitchen, who happens to own a very nice espresso setup, I was blown away. Rich, fruity, sweet. It was amazing. A far cry from the battery acid shots you get from local third-wave coffee shops. Those places, it would seem, are totally incapable of brewing coffee.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

thotsky posted:

I would say the espressos enjoyed traditionally in Italy were probably not great for the most part if you consider how involved modern espresso is (think of precision baskets, shower screens, temp control, dosing by weight, etc).

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

VelociBacon posted:

I would say the espressos enjoyed traditionally in Italy were probably not great for the most part if you consider how involved modern espresso is (think of precision baskets, shower screens, temp control, dosing by weight, etc).
I would say that's a pretty ridiculous (and borderline culturally-insensitive) statement; one of the best shots I've ever had was eyeball dosed and pulled on a dirty lever machine that had to be 60 years old. The nerds driving 3rd wave coffee and all it's technical minutiae did not save the world from bad espresso. They just turned it into a hobby.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

We’re also talking about something entirely subjective, taste.

I enjoy the hell out of fruity, funky third wave beans as espresso, but it’s not for everyone.

Also all the little bits and bobs and tools used with the hyper espresso nerds are just min-maxing. It removes variables and gets an extra 1% out to cover mistakes in the process, but that doesn’t mean a genuine expert can’t get the same or better without them.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

VelociBacon posted:

Well, whatever Carraro 1927 Crema Espresso is then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Every light roast espresso I've ever had from a local third wave shop has tasted overwhelmingly salty for some reason.