Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The good news is I got my new phone in the mail. The bad news is I think I messed up the restore and I hope one of you knows what I should do.

When I had the old and new phone close to each other and it was going to do the phone to phone transfer, out of curiosity I clicked the "see options" button. Apparently that made it so I didn't have the option to do the phone to phone transfer anymore and it restored from icloud. The problem is, my icloud backup seems to have been out of date. The wallpaper image is now one I haven't used since last year.

I was thinking maybe I could wipe the 14 and set it up as a new phone and start the process over again. But now I'm afraid the 13 won't be able to transfer phone data over correctly because the 14 is now connected to my Verizon service and the 13 has no service.

How hosed am I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just factory reset the 14 and set it up as a new phone. You don’t need any of that stuff anyway.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

You might want to force an iCloud backup on the old phone just to be safe.

Also reboot the old phone, mine got a bit fucky when I backed out of transferring over to the new phone once and wouldn't pop up the little setup box again until I rebooted it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

A year with my 13 Pro and there’s a small scuff on one corner of from falling off a streeterie table and a tiny shallow scratch on the screen from falling in a changing room onto some sand (?) on the floor, but you wouldn’t notice either if I didn’t point them out. Going naked is the best.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Snowy posted:

The good news is I got my new phone in the mail. The bad news is I think I messed up the restore and I hope one of you knows what I should do.

When I had the old and new phone close to each other and it was going to do the phone to phone transfer, out of curiosity I clicked the "see options" button. Apparently that made it so I didn't have the option to do the phone to phone transfer anymore and it restored from icloud. The problem is, my icloud backup seems to have been out of date. The wallpaper image is now one I haven't used since last year.

I was thinking maybe I could wipe the 14 and set it up as a new phone and start the process over again. But now I'm afraid the 13 won't be able to transfer phone data over correctly because the 14 is now connected to my Verizon service and the 13 has no service.

How hosed am I?

Is this what you’re experiencing?

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/09/15/apple-confirms-ios-16-device-activation-bug/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

American McGay posted:

Just factory reset the 14 and set it up as a new phone. You don’t need any of that stuff anyway.

I don't quite get this, you mean don't do a restore? Sorry, I'm not super phone savvy but I'm not sure what stuff you're saying I don't need.

Shifty Pony posted:

You might want to force an iCloud backup on the old phone just to be safe.

Also reboot the old phone, mine got a bit fucky when I backed out of transferring over to the new phone once and wouldn't pop up the little setup box again until I rebooted it.

I tried forcing an iCloud backup on the 13 but get an error message: "The last backup could not be completed. iCloud backup will occur later when connected to power, locked, and on Wi-Fi or cellular network."

The 13 is almost fully charged, connected to power, and it's on Wi-Fi. I don't know what else to do.

I'm still tempted to reset the 14 and try the phone to phone transfer but don't want to dig myself in deeper.

e-

I don't think so

Snowy fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 16, 2022

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

e - quote is not edit

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just factory reset the new phone. As soon as you put it near the old one again once it boots back up from that, it'll ask you to do the phone to phone setup.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Aphrodite posted:

Just factory reset the new phone. As soon as you put it near the old one again once it boots back up from that, it'll ask you to do the phone to phone setup.

Thanks I'll try it. I was able to get the iCloud backup going on the first phone after upping my iCloud storage, so fingers crossed on that. "About 1 hour remaining" then I'll try the reset.

Sorry about the dumb questions, thread :)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I wonder how widespread this is. It's the first time I've personally heard of it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Anker MagSafe ring thing came in. Needs suited except they don’t make it in alpine green :sad:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Still mad that I can’t have the music I want for my alarm :mad:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

101 posted:

Needs suiting. Animations are extremely clean and smooth. Works out of the box with all audio apps. Excited to see what third parties can do and to get some sports scores up there

I actually think the audio app in the island is a bit bizarre and probably just Apple reaching for day 1 functionality.
It takes up a lot of space (basically makes the island bigger than the notch ever was) and doesn't display anything useful.
Tapping the island to go to your audio app is slower than using the app switcher unless you have a 6" thumb.
Reachability doesn't move the island down either.

If the "graphic equalizer" part could be a skip button instead that would be a bit more functional.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Still mad that I can’t have the music I want for my alarm :mad:

If you have an mp3 you can make it into a ringtone with GarageBand, I dunno if this helps.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

~Coxy posted:

I actually think the audio app in the island is a bit bizarre and probably just Apple reaching for day 1 functionality.
It takes up a lot of space (basically makes the island bigger than the notch ever was) and doesn't display anything useful.
Tapping the island to go to your audio app is slower than using the app switcher unless you have a 6" thumb.
Reachability doesn't move the island down either.

If the "graphic equalizer" part could be a skip button instead that would be a bit more functional.

I like it personally. I'm a sucker for seeing audio waves.

The Reachability thing is fixed in the 16.1 beta apparently

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mrking posted:

If you have an mp3 you can make it into a ringtone with GarageBand, I dunno if this helps.

Hopefully getting my new phone tomorrow* so posting to mark the idea.

It really does stink if that's the case and is kind of regressing back to the old days of buying ringtones from television frogs.

*I'm really just posting to say this because I'm so stoked, pro & max!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Installed iOS 16 today. Estimated download time - 12 minutes. An hour later was still going

Don’t like the bolded font for the time on the Lock Screen :argh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like that new design. I just hope it doesn’t take forever to not be on a huge phone. I’d prefer a mini size but I’d even take 5.8 again.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Cat Hassler posted:

Installed iOS 16 today. Estimated download time - 12 minutes. An hour later was still going

Don’t like the bolded font for the time on the Lock Screen :argh:

You can change the font in the customise bit

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

101 posted:

You can change the font in the customise bit

Tbqh I don't LOVE any of the like 6 fonts available. :smugdon:

e: Tim promised me that I would love my experience

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Sep 17, 2022

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Inner Light posted:

Tbqh I don't LOVE any of the like 6 fonts available. :smugdon:

Their serif font New York looks classy af imo :monocle:

Weedle
May 31, 2006

new lock screen is good

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Weedle posted:

new lock screen is good

That’s rad!

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

is there a way to just start with a totally blank home screen? or did i spend 45 minutes reorganizing like an idiot

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You need at least one icon in the top left.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Holy poo poo the rear cameras on this phone are huge. Is this how Apple finally gets us to use a case? I’d need a dad-tier otter box to make them flush.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
OTOH (re: Lock Screen), I had to go to the list view of notifications as everytime I swiped up to show my notifications I'd grab the scrubber on the audio player and advance my track to like 75% complete. Annoying

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
whats the best option for setting up my new phone? restore a fresh backup from my computer or use the bluetooth transfer?

last time i couldnt get my iphone to show up on itunes (PC) and i was stuck doing a restore from the cloud which required re-downloading a shitload of stuff

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

BraveUlysses posted:

whats the best option for setting up my new phone? restore a fresh backup from my computer or use the bluetooth transfer?

last time i couldnt get my iphone to show up on itunes (PC) and i was stuck doing a restore from the cloud which required re-downloading a shitload of stuff

My go to is still the encrypted computer backup. Need the devices to show up for that, though

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Set it up as new device and just use it. Download stuff when you decide you need it. Free yourself of these binds.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

It's pretty early for this type of post but can I ask if anyone has the Apple Leather Case for the iPhone 14 Pro, ideally in black which is the best color? Is it identical to the basic feel of the 13 Pro leather case I would assume?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

American McGay posted:

Set it up as new device and just use it. Download stuff when you decide you need it. Free yourself of these binds.
Actually don’t do this, use your precious time in better ways.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

American McGay posted:

:blastu::blastu::blastu:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Is the Apple clear case the best clear case to get? It doesn’t really protect the bottom of the phone but apparently it doesn’t yellow either?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

ThermoPhysical posted:

Is the Apple clear case the best clear case to get? It doesn’t really protect the bottom of the phone but apparently it doesn’t yellow either?

It’s historically bad and cracks easily, Spigen makes a couple of clear cases that you can buy multiple of if it yellows and still not pay as much as one Apple case.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

According to my Amazon invoice, I paid $10.99 for my Spigen Liquid Crystal clear case in November of 2020 which I'm still using and it still hasn't yellowed on me!

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse

ThermoPhysical posted:

I used one for a while with the 12 Pro and tbh I didn’t like it. Slippery and ugly.

Apollo has the best Dynamic Island feature so far. A tiny little pixelated buddy who lives up there while you’re scrolling through reddit. :)

Creature fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 17, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Weedle posted:

new lock screen is good

dude your wife is hot

American McGay posted:

This is a good scheme but it sucks with authenticators and other special edge cases.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Saw a video of dynamic island in action and it’s pretty cool. Not like oh my god I need it but I can see it sticking around and supplanting the notch.

Speaking of, anyone else remember all the spilled digital ink over the notch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I get the impulse behind clear cases but they’re never as good an idea as you think it is. The end product is not anything close to a naked iPhone.