Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

android auto voice has always worked pretty well for me for navigation, but pretty much every other application of voice controls has been awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

phosdex posted:

I never talk to my car, and I disabled the bmw gesture control stuff.

Come to think of it, I have seen BMW drivers use gestures more often than other drivers.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The mic in my Fiesta is so close to me (like everything else) that voice stuff on Car Play works pretty flawlessly. You can’t talk to the car though, there’s no options for it to control.

I like just tapping a steering wheel button and telling it to map a route to someone’s house or find a place. It’s kinda neat.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
setting a timer via voice while cooking is pretty dope tbh

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Dealer demo with 230 miles!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

Come to think of it, I have seen BMW drivers use gestures more often than other drivers.

My partner forced me to turn it off on my profile because she's constantly talking with her hands and accidentally changing or pausing the music.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
The controls in my '14 Focus are so bad for infotainment stuff that I will use the voice controls for some operations instead of using the jank touchscreen while driving or trying to figure out how fast I can push the "change input" button before the system lags out and dumps me into the satellite radio I'm not paying for and splashes a pop-up on the screen telling me to pay for it

It works pretty well in this limited capacity even if it makes me feel like a stupid rear end in a top hat every time I do it

I can't imagine controlling everything by voice though

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Lunchables posted:

The mic in my Fiesta is so close to me (like everything else) that voice stuff on Car Play works pretty flawlessly. You can’t talk to the car though, there’s no options for it to control.

I like just tapping a steering wheel button and telling it to map a route to someone’s house or find a place. It’s kinda neat.

Huh. My example was from a 2012 Fiesta, which had voice control. But then again, I'm not surprised they took it out with how bad it was.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

They redid the entire infotainment setup in 2016 and made it in line with Sync 3, so I’m sure you’re correct.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea Sync 2 sucked rear end but 3 was much better. I still had some annoyances with it, but it was nowhere near in the FoRS than the FiST

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I wish I could remember all the details about just how and why MyFord Touch was such a horrendous system. I think it was outsourced to Blackberry/QNX that had a history of making embedded software, but not on such a large scale in the automotive sector. And I think the whole thing ran on top of some ancient embedded windows ce as I remember seeing 1995-looking windows error popups on the Focus forums when the thing would crash sometimes.

Just horrible in every way. Feel especially bad for people that got cars with the Powershift. Just endless suffering. Sad thing is, if you got a Fiesta or Focus with a stick shift and the base radio, you got a truly great world car for its day.

Edit:
Don't like the look of the new Mustang interior with it's big displays? Well, if you get a base model Mustang you....still get two big screens! That somehow looks even worse!

https://www.thedrive.com/news/the-base-2024-ford-mustangs-interior-is-the-ipads

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 16, 2022

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mental Hospitality posted:

I wish I could remember all the details about just how and why MyFord Touch was such a horrendous system. I think it was outsourced to Blackberry/QNX that had a history of making embedded software, but not on such a large scale in the automotive sector. And I think the whole thing ran on top of some ancient embedded windows ce as I remember seeing 1995-looking windows error popups on the Focus forums when the thing would crash sometimes.

Just horrible in every way. Feel especially bad for people that got cars with the Powershift. Just endless suffering. Sad thing is, if you got a Fiesta or Focus with a stick shift and the base radio, you got a truly great world car for its day.

Edit:
Don't like the look of the new Mustang interior with it's big displays? Well, if you get a base model Mustang you....still get two big screens! That somehow looks even worse!

Is this a promotional render or a screenshot from a mobile game? C'mon Ford.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The fixed sync afterwards was qnx, touch was still microsoft.

https://youtu.be/FrvmzxIJOXw

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If I have to choose between two screens and one extra wide one, I kinda like the two separate screens.

Seems like having more physical borders as a reference point should be a vaguely better "user experience" while blindly fumbling for the right buttons :shrug:

Like there's so much inaccessible space / blind spots due to having a steering wheel in the way lol. And I imagine 1 huge screen only makes it harder to clean the dashboard.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Sep 16, 2022

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

It's esp sorry since that was the last gen in the US- and like nobody takes manuals here so everyone got the lovely auto and bad infotainment on what was otherwise a great car and then it was dead. Not sure how much that had to do with them actually ending the Focus/Fiesta in the NA region (also it had the updated infotainment for a few years before being disco'd here) but an ignominious death nonetheless.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

SlowBloke posted:

The fixed sync afterwards was qnx, touch was still microsoft.

https://youtu.be/FrvmzxIJOXw

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Maybe I was thinking of this BSquare company mentioned in the video and mistakenly attributed QNX to them. Great video.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

revving up the voltage meter

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit:

barf

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

farting around the automall waiting for service.
LOL'd that the Acura Integra has more headroom than the TLX.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Edit:

Personally I think it looks better.

But this is like asking if an pus ravaged rear end in a top hat looks worse than a multilated dick, they both are godawful and why the hell did I use this as an analogy?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nice humble brag about your non mutilated dick

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Personally I think it looks better.

But this is like asking if an pus ravaged rear end in a top hat looks worse than a multilated dick, they both are godawful and why the hell did I use this as an analogy?

The "widescreen" option appears to be just these 2 screens behind a single plastic bezel but what the hell do I know.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
How much of the cluster can you see though the wheel anyway?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Are you saying it should have a yoke?

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
I like the new interior quite a bit, it's better with the mega screen and the new ventilated recaros also look really nice. The physical buttons that are left below the screen looked pretty chintzy when Alex on Autos was messing with them. I'm a bit more mixed about the exterior, the current model looks more coordinated, maybe they'll fix it with a facelift. Not a bad car for what is probably the end of the road for stick shift v8's though, it's now or never.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
iPads for gauge clusters suck.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Koirhor posted:

Dealer demo with 230 miles!

Isn’t this one of the games dealers play to avoid manufacturer restrictions? Like once it’s declared a demo, they’re no longer under any agreement with Ford about pricing, etc.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

davecrazy posted:

iPads for gauge clusters suck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I want 30 mechanical gauges and 60 switches with a solid mechanical clunk, at least 3 of which have switch guards.

My keyboard switches shouldn't cost more than my car's.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Powershift posted:

I want 30 mechanical gauges and 60 switches with a solid mechanical clunk, at least 3 of which have switch guards.

vectorW8.jpg

Phone posting otherwise I’d dig up a pic for you. Someone do the needful.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slothrop posted:

vectorW8.jpg

Phone posting otherwise I’d dig up a pic for you. Someone do the needful.

https://i.imgur.com/PNslnDl.mp4

While we're on the subject. Fewer jelly beans, more boxy wedges.

If i have to live in a dystopian hellscape, it might as well be one of the good ones.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Needs toggle switches ala a 2005 Ford GT.

smooth jazz
May 13, 2010

Powershift posted:

this but unironically

Interestingly that Integra I sat in today had the nicest steering wheel buttons and scroll wheel I've ever felt.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
If guage clusters are going digital why not have fun with it?

I want a guage cluster that’s sonic the hedgehog running faster and faster and once you hit 100 kph he turns into super sonic and ‘sonic boom’ starts playing on the stereo.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Al-Saqr posted:

If guage clusters are going digital why not have fun with it?

I want a guage cluster that’s sonic the hedgehog running faster and faster and once you hit 100 kph he turns into super sonic and ‘sonic boom’ starts playing on the stereo.

So long as if you have a crash it shows him lose all his rings.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 17, 2022

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

JohnCompany posted:

So long as if you have a crash it shows him loose all his rings.

Yeah also when it crashes the battery should use whatever battery it has left before it dies or explodes to play the drowning music lol

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Isn’t this one of the games dealers play to avoid manufacturer restrictions? Like once it’s declared a demo, they’re no longer under any agreement with Ford about pricing, etc.
Ford sent out demos to (almost?) all dealerships so people could see the new models while there are basically 0 trucks on the lot, there is a time limit before they can be sold, dunno about pricing restrictions on the demos. Most of the fight is over customer ordered trucks getting markup.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I like gauge clusters that are both analog and digital. Give me real needles and then whatever digital poo poo around them.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

fknlo posted:

I like gauge clusters that are both analog and digital. Give me real needles and then whatever digital poo poo around them.

:hmmyes: this is the way. Unfortunately I feel this setup will be relegated to the luxury segments as it would cost an extra twenty dollars per unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Our '22 Grand Cherokee has a 100% digital gauge cluster, but it looks like a natural part of the dashboard. The new base model Mustang looks like they just wedged an iPad in there and called it a day.