Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://i.imgur.com/y1UAovF.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
I watched Jay's video of the EVGA-no-more-VGA. It really looked like nVidia just doesn't give a poo poo about it's partners, and it had been increasingly difficult for them to make a board that made them money, which got a lot more difficult here recently with nVidia slashing prices (so they can sell all the backstock they have now that crypto crashed).

Maybe we will see them transition to AMD and/or Intel. Or maybe nVidia will approach them and strike a deal?

It's very weird. This news has come out from Youtubers/reviewers, not from EVGA themselves. Their twitter still says "EVGA is the #1 NVIDIA authorized partner in channel sales throughout US and UK." There is nothing on their website either talking about the breakup.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Koskun posted:

It's very weird. This news has come out from Youtubers/reviewers, not from EVGA themselves. Their twitter still says "EVGA is the #1 NVIDIA authorized partner in channel sales throughout US and UK." There is nothing on their website either talking about the breakup.

They've posted a brief thing on the forums: https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3574574

Maybe their web and social media people didn't know this was coming

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

repiv posted:

They've posted a brief thing on the forums: https://forums.evga.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3574574

Jay mentioned, but didn't give a timeframe, that the meeting they had with the CEO was a bit ago. I'd say no more than a week? Two at the absolute most would be my guess.

Just kind of feels like there is more going on than we've seen here.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

repiv posted:

I may have misinterpreted, but I believe Steve said at some point during his video that the EVGA employees would not be finding out until today. He said something about "a few hours," but I don't know whether that means the video went up a few hours before they found out or that they found out a few hours before the video went live.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
EVGA now to be known as just E

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I wonder if this is a sign that Nvidia is working on pushing out their AIBs to vertically integrate. It would make a lot of sense with the moves they've been making for years now.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

K8.0 posted:

I wonder if this is a sign that Nvidia is working on pushing out their AIBs to vertically integrate. It would make a lot of sense with the moves they've been making for years now.

I don’t see how. They couldn’t keep up even with AIBs. And they don’t have fabs like intel.

They tried to buy arm, but that didn’t work so good.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I think I literally will have the last clown lips evga GPU, or close to it. I know by the time they moved to lhr they were black. I'll treasure it forever.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
nvidia don't even know how to make their own online storefront

i guess a tanking economy and glut of last-gen gpu's is one way to deal with scalpers

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Bloodplay it again posted:

I may have misinterpreted, but I believe Steve said at some point during his video that the EVGA employees would not be finding out until today. He said something about "a few hours," but I don't know whether that means the video went up a few hours before they found out or that they found out a few hours before the video went live.

The GN video went up a few hours after employees were told, and it sounds like maybe only Steve and one other GN person worked on the video so it was handled well by GN and kept tightly under wraps.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Well this is crappy news. I wonder how many people are about to be laid off?

I only bought EVGA video cards because of the great warranty, reliability, and I made sure to get the models with Samsung memory.

Who is second place now?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

So, Nvidia only tell partners the price of the card on the day of launch. Like actually at the moment it becomes public.
What kind of way is t that to run a business? How the gently caress are you ment to budget, plan or anything?

-edit -
Maybe this is how the others do it too, idk. Bonkers either way

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Adolf Glitter posted:

So, Nvidia only tell partners the price of the card on the day of launch. Like actually at the moment it becomes public.
What kind of way is t that to run a business? How the gently caress are you ment to budget, plan or anything?

I figure Nvidia’s attitude is “you are loving nothing without us” and because of that they can do whatever the gently caress they want. Where else are they going to go? The only other major competitor in the space has what, less than 10% marketshare?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I was under the impression that those were going poorly for them. This news sucks.

In the GN video, Steve says that most of the rest of their sales (beyond GPUs) were PSUs, and that PSUs have a 300% increased margin for them. So I guess that's what they're relying on now, because it works as a product even if it decreases their size and market cap a huge amount.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I feel that nvidia’s datacenter business is much more important to them than consumer gpu stuff. It’s why they spent billions on mellanox and tried spending billions more on the defunct arm deal.

It seems likely that their main push with GPUs will be into cloud areas for both AI and cloud based remote graphics like their geforce now. Not having to deal with a ton of little OEMs if they can help it would be a big win for them. Plus by pushing cloud stuff they can cross sell their mellanox/bluefield stuff along with the new server class CPU they recently showed off (Grace).

They’ll still sell the gpus but it will be with minimal support or incentives for OEMs so only big guys like Asus will probably keep going with it. Sucks but I have seen similar things in the semiconductor biz.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've gotten pushback for saying before, but yes, I think Nvidia's ultimate endgame is to exit consumer graphics cards entirely and be datacenter only. If you want the latest graphical advancements, get a geforce cloud subscription. This isn't happening in the near future but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the 10 year goal.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've gotten pushback for saying before, but yes, I think Nvidia's ultimate endgame is to exit consumer graphics cards entirely and be datacenter only. If you want the latest graphical advancements, get a geforce cloud subscription. This isn't happening in the near future but I wouldn't be surprised if this is the 10 year goal.
Financialization is a fact in pretty much every manufacturing industry now, everyone is desperately trying to figure out how to pivot from selling things once to selling subscriptions. The rule of thumb is that one dollar of recurring revenue is worth seven dollars of one-time revenue, when it comes to things like valuations and whatnot. Nobody cares about actual profit today, everyone wants a story about potential profit tomorrow. I myself work for a company that sells physical devices direct to consumers, and while that's well and good, it's also insignificant even though it's making us a lot of money - the board's top priority is making us convert our enterprise customers to a subscription sales model as soon as possible.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 17, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I’m so loving tired of everything being a subscription.

I was watching the cyberpunk anime today and in the first EP they had a scene where the in unit washing machine stopped mid-cycle because they ran out of money, and I feel we’re genuinely frighteningly close to that reality.

It’s not fair when everything is explicitly designed to be subscription so they can suck more money out of you. IMO Subscriptions need to have real, tangible, remote access or multiple delivery necessities to be acceptable.

Having to subscribe to a remote GPU that could fit in your home PC without issue because they can get more money in the end should be legislated into the shadow realm.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I was watching the cyberpunk anime today and in the first EP they had a scene where the in unit washing machine stopped mid-cycle because they ran out of money, and I feel we’re genuinely frighteningly close to that reality.

It’s not fair when everything is explicitly designed to be subscription so they can suck more money out of you. IMO Subscriptions need to have real, tangible, remote access or multiple delivery necessities to be acceptable.

Having to subscribe to a remote GPU that could fit in your home PC without issue because they can get more money in the end should be legislated into the shadow realm.

Why are you against the free market, commie.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Incidentally, I just gave Geforce Now a spin using their free tier that locks you to 720p, using Saints Row 3 to test. First, I'm surprised that Steam Cloud just worked seamlessly through it and I was able to load into my ancient save file from when the game first came out right away. Secondly, the latency was shockingly low. I did some basic "shoot at a wall a bunch" testing while recording my mouse and screen in slow motion to try to gauge the input latency. I recorded on my Pixel 5a at 1/8th-speed slow motion, saved as a 30fps video. From click to muzzle flash was 10 frames in the video. ((10 / 30) * 1000) / 8 = 41.67ms click-to-flash input latency while using Geforce Now. This is while using a non-gaming wireless mouse (MX Master 3) and it's over a Wi-Fi 6 connection, through two walls in my home (though the router and computer are close—it's only two walls because the signal is cutting through the corner of another room). I'm legit shocked by how little latency there is. I had no problem running around the world and headshotting people. It's pure wizardry that this is all happening over the internet.

I strongly hate the idea of cloud computing taking over personal home computing, but the technology exists to make it happen, so it's really just a matter of time before it does. And this goes for most computer stuff, not just gaming.

edit: I measured the start of the click based on the sound of the mouse click, then counted every frame after until the muzzle flash. It occurs to me that I probably should've counted the frame the click occurred in, in which case the input latency would be 45.83ms. I guess a point of comparison would be an optimized high-framerate esports setup, which can be as little as 13.5 - 15ms click-to-flash latency, but I feel like 45ms is still fairly respectable for a casual 60fps gaming experience with an office mouse.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Sep 17, 2022

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

TheFluff posted:

Financialization is a fact in pretty much every manufacturing industry now, everyone is desperately trying to figure out how to pivot from selling things once to selling subscriptions. The rule of thumb is that one dollar of recurring revenue is worth seven dollars of one-time revenue, when it comes to things like valuations and whatnot. Nobody cares about actual profit today, everyone wants a story about potential profit tomorrow. I myself work for a company that sells physical devices direct to consumers, and while that's well and good, it's also insignificant even though it's making us a lot of money - the board's top priority is making us convert our enterprise customers to a subscription sales model as soon as possible.

many such cases!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lmao, MLID has "clarified" that when he said that Intel is cancelling Arc, what he really meant was that Intel won't be releasing any GPUs that will be competitive with Nvidia's and AMD's high-end GPUs for the next few years. And that he considers a strategy where Intel spends a few years releasing midrange and low-end GPUs before transitioning to high-end GPUs as them "effectively cancelling" Arc['s high-end models, temporarily]. A truly amazing backpedal.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 17, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Hopefully everyone has learned a valuable lesson about never listening to anything MLID says.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Then don't engage with it. Draw some philosophical lines and abide by them. I really, really hate everything being a subscription to, and I've made some radical changes because I don't want to deal. I used to tutor Photoshop and Premier. I've just fully abandoned Adobe and now find myself with Resolve and Affinity products - It was a gross transition to relearn complex software, but thems the breaks. I also don't want to pay monthly for a bunch of little software hosting services, so I maintain my own hardware and host my own stuff. The total list of my non-utility subscriptions is Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Discord. Discord I think just provides a good service and I really don't want it to go away. Netflix and Amazon are fine, and represent me trying to meet media companies half way - if your stuff isn't on one of those services well...:filez:

The problem is that people are unwilling to actually pay the cost NOT having a subscription for a lot of things. People don't want to learn new stuff, and the immediate path of least resistance is what pretty much everyone takes. It's honestly relatively easy to avoid subscription things if you are willing to pay some upfront costs, and it's REALLY easy to avoid them if you aren't losing sleep over piracy. You just have to do it.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
"Then don't engage with it" is a good argument until you are dealing with effective monopolies

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Have you considered not living in a society?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Then don't engage with it. Draw some philosophical lines and abide by them. I really, really hate everything being a subscription to, and I've made some radical changes because I don't want to deal. I used to tutor Photoshop and Premier. I've just fully abandoned Adobe and now find myself with Resolve and Affinity products - It was a gross transition to relearn complex software, but thems the breaks. I also don't want to pay monthly for a bunch of little software hosting services, so I maintain my own hardware and host my own stuff. The total list of my non-utility subscriptions is Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Discord. Discord I think just provides a good service and I really don't want it to go away. Netflix and Amazon are fine, and represent me trying to meet media companies half way - if your stuff isn't on one of those services well...:filez:

The problem is that people are unwilling to actually pay the cost NOT having a subscription for a lot of things. People don't want to learn new stuff, and the immediate path of least resistance is what pretty much everyone takes. It's honestly relatively easy to avoid subscription things if you are willing to pay some upfront costs, and it's REALLY easy to avoid them if you aren't losing sleep over piracy. You just have to do it.

lmao why didn't think of that. Just stop living in a hell world! And by stop, I mean subscribe to only Amazon and Netflix so that streaming too can be a Bezos monopoly it rightfully yearns to be one day

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Also get your big company where most subscription software gets all their money to pirate its software, that's totally a thing you can do!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The works of the transistors of the chips, of the fabs, must be destroyed to keep up the price, and this is the saddest, bitterest thing of all. Carloads of GPUs dumped on the ground. The people came for miles to take the cards, but this could not be. How would they buy RTX 3090s at twenty cents a dozen if they could drive out and pick them up? And men with hoses squirt kerosene on the GPUs, and they are angry at the crime, angry at the people who have come to take the cards. A million gamers idles, needing the frame rates - and kerosene sprayed over the golden samples. And the smell of blown capacitors fills the country. Burn GPUs for fuel in the ships. Burn DIMMs to keep warm, it makes a hot fire. Dump monitors in the rivers and place guards along the banks to keep the console players from fishing them out. Brick the processors and bury them, and let the bent pins fall down into the earth.

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success. The picking machines, the EUV fabs, the assembly line, and the AIB models. And gamers dying of frame pacing must lose matches because a profit cannot be taken from a mining card. And shoutcasters must fill in the certificate- lost to stutter- because the cards must rot, must be forced to rot. The people come with promo codes to buy GPUs at BestBuy, and the captchas hold them back; they log in to Ebay to get the dumped cards, but the kerosene is sprayed. And they stand still and watch the GPUs get destroyed, listen to the screaming coil whine being silenced in a ditch and covered with thermal paste, watch the mountains of silicon burnt down to a charred pile; and in the eyes of the people there is the failure; and in the eyes of the gamers there is a growing wrath. In the souls of the people the games of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I generally don’t, and for now I can make that choice. But we are slowly moving towards a point where I can no longer make that choice for many things.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
A thing to think about is that EVGA is way more impacted by nvidia's founders card move than the other AIBs.

EVGA's market segment was the higher end and the frequent updaters. An EVGA card generally cost more than the average, they have the resale friendly warranty, and they had the step-up program. Those are also the people who want to buy a new card right away, meaning they now are looking at founders cards months before EVGA. Plus the stuff nvidia did with the 30 series flow-through cooler is hard to compete with, and probably very expensive to replicate. Founders cards are the new high end benchmark.

Finally, the customers that EVGA most targets are pretty wedded to nvidia, which probably informs them not switching to AMD or Intel right away. AMD hasn't had a card with equal or greater performance to nvidia's top end in a long time, so the highest margin customers are just never gonna buy AMD unless that changes. Plus there's still a non-trivial "lol AMD bad drivers" stigma such that a portion of the market will *only* buy nvidia. (Those facts are also what allows nvidia to capture so much of the revenue from the GPU market.)

tl;dr there are circumstances that seem pretty specific to EVGA to me, and not a sign that nvidia will go full vertical integration or cloud subscription or whatever

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

gradenko_2000 posted:

The works of the transistors of the chips, of the fabs, must be destroyed to keep up the price, and this is the saddest, bitterest thing of all. Carloads of GPUs dumped on the ground. The people came for miles to take the cards, but this could not be. How would they buy RTX 3090s at twenty cents a dozen if they could drive out and pick them up? And men with hoses squirt kerosene on the GPUs, and they are angry at the crime, angry at the people who have come to take the cards. A million gamers idles, needing the frame rates - and kerosene sprayed over the golden samples. And the smell of blown capacitors fills the country. Burn GPUs for fuel in the ships. Burn DIMMs to keep warm, it makes a hot fire. Dump monitors in the rivers and place guards along the banks to keep the console players from fishing them out. Brick the processors and bury them, and let the bent pins fall down into the earth.

There is a crime here that goes beyond denunciation. There is a sorrow here that weeping cannot symbolize. There is a failure here that topples all our success. The picking machines, the EUV fabs, the assembly line, and the AIB models. And gamers dying of frame pacing must lose matches because a profit cannot be taken from a mining card. And shoutcasters must fill in the certificate- lost to stutter- because the cards must rot, must be forced to rot. The people come with promo codes to buy GPUs at BestBuy, and the captchas hold them back; they log in to Ebay to get the dumped cards, but the kerosene is sprayed. And they stand still and watch the GPUs get destroyed, listen to the screaming coil whine being silenced in a ditch and covered with thermal paste, watch the mountains of silicon burnt down to a charred pile; and in the eyes of the people there is the failure; and in the eyes of the gamers there is a growing wrath. In the souls of the people the games of wrath are filling and growing heavy, growing heavy for the vintage.

“And the wine press was trodden outside the city, and the blood flowed from the wine press, as high as a horse's bridle.”

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

TheFluff posted:

I hate these MBAs and other boardroom-dwellers who aren't happy enough making a profit selling a product and just demand more and more until there's nothing left

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
this is just another stupid video don't worry about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oijav9jJjqM

but i lolled pretty hard the second linus got it open and it obviously opened mechanically, like an old style mechanical calculator just immediately expanding like an accordion the second the tension was removed, i went "oh that's broken forever and he's never getting it back together". and then that happened.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

CoolCab posted:

but i lolled pretty hard the second linus got it open and it obviously opened mechanically, like an old style mechanical calculator just immediately expanding like an accordion the second the tension was removed, i went "oh that's broken forever and he's never getting it back together". and then that happened.

I like how there are a bunch of the comments were asking why they didn't just hotglue / attach a micro hdmi to hdmi adapter in the first place.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

CoolCab posted:

like there are legit some things you send off for, lens and cameras are one of those things.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

How can this possibly cost $500 to repair??

And then he proceeds to spend probably several times that in having himself and his staff repair it (yeah yeah I'm sure they made it back in views but still).

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
do you think sony is going to put on a new one in their headquarters?

they're just going to slap in a new $400 board and charge 100 in labor and that's your $500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTAzwKiQ7Ns

Well, gently caress it, I needed a new computer for random things like label printer print server, occasional video transcoding, remoting in from work when I forget my laptop, messing around with Home Assistant in Docker, maybe video security server, etc.

HP Z440s are actually really cheap and seem more than capable of handling home server tasks. Picked up a E-1603 16GB for like weekly grocery store run price.