Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

"absolute sweetheart deal for unions" = "railroad staff normally on call 24/7 no longer at risk for being fired for not scheduling doctor's appointments a year in advance, may actually be given some number of unscheduled sick days (no more than 10)"

skeleton warrior fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 15, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Burning_Monk posted:

Lil Ben is upset he didn't get his talking point lol

https://twitter.com/benshapiro/status/1570392833701597185

Ben, buddy, we *are paying for it* because the unions aren’t strong enough. We are paying far, far more than a few cents a mile for freight transport though. The elderly working to their graves, low wages far, far below our grandparents standard, oppressive work environments and brutal work practices.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Also from what I've seen this deal actually sucks poo poo because the workers wanted paid time off and didn't get it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Dollop podcast just did an episode this week about former GA Governor Eugene Talmadge, a Dixiecrat who went further and further off the deep end as he stayed in office

He was a proto-DeSantis in that he pushed to get two professors from a state university fired because he believed that they were opposed to segregation (they weren’t) and got the state’s university system to lose accreditation

quote:

Talmadge was elected again as governor in 1940 and returned to the governor's office in 1941, emerging as the leader of racist and segregationist elements in Georgia.[36] Responding to reports that Walter Cocking, a dean at the University of Georgia, had advocated bringing black and white students together in the classroom, Talmadge launched an attack on the university, charging elitism, and called for the regents to remove Cocking and purge the university of communists, "foreigners" (non-Georgians), and subscribers to racial equality. The university board of regents at first refused Talmadge's demands, but after the governor restructured the board, the university dismissed numerous staff.

This intervention into academic affairs caused the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to remove accreditation from the Georgia state universities. It also contributed to Talmadge's defeat by Ellis Arnall in 1942.[37]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Talmadge

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Its all Bidens fault.

https://twitter.com/303john/status/1570473942296702977

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004
Bold strategy. Break the law, say it all rolls up to Biden because he's the President, have him arrested.

Why no, this doesn't apply when there's a republican in the office.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
The old reverse-Nixon: If the president does it, it's illegal.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

Devor posted:

The old reverse-Nixon: If the president does it, it's illegal.

If the president does it, it's legal. If the president lets someone else do it, it's illegal.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sax Mortar posted:

If the president does it, it's legal. If the president lets someone else do it, it's illegal.
So wait Monica and Bill... :sora:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Texas, I think, has also been doing some fuckery with bussing immigrants around. Then the right wing talking point is, "they're bussing illegals into swing states for voter fraud!!!!"

It's all completely manufactured. They're taking either the ordinary working of the border management (which was the same under Trump) or something GOP governors are doing and spinning it to create their open borders narrative.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sax Mortar posted:

Right because isn't the current defense of the Trump classified document scandal that he already declassified the documents by fiat?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Arguably he's right. What part of the Constitution gives the federal government the right to restrict immigration? From a strict constructionist perspective, any good conservative should agree that Biden is obligated to open the borders until the Constitution is amended to give Congress authority over the matter. :smuggo:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/JeremyRedfernFL/status/1570428437025751042?t=YFtRsfhdvcjQ6eo3ovwvCw&s=19

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right because isn't the current defense of the Trump classified document scandal that he already declassified the documents by fiat?

No. Trump hasn’t made that claim in any legal filing. That’s just for the rubes.

Despite Trump not claiming to have declassified those documents in a legal filing Chudge Cannon doesn’t find the DoJs argument that those documents belong to the government or that the FBI is inextricably a part of the security review compelling.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Glad they can admit that the Florida government is a cartel.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Sax Mortar posted:

Well Desantis is certainly continuing to Desantis all over the place.

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1570383143936446467

I haven't seen how the RWM has responded to this yet, but I'm assuming it's going to be along the lines of "now they get to see what it's like to get ILLEGALS just showing up!"

They love it.

gently caress you liberal Taxachusettes. if you love immigrants so much, have a whole plane full of them!

Assholes, man

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I remember when the right wing media talking point was that Biden was secretly flying immigrants out of Texas in the middle of the night to other states. Now it turns out this was sort of true, only it's actually Republican governors doing it.

Everything they accuse Democrats of doing, they're the ones actually doing it. Literally every time.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Yea I remember that talking point, I've seen like 500 chuds on Twitter use it to justify DeSantis' stunt in the past however many hours.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Clarste posted:

Glad they can admit that the Florida government is a cartel.

It's never quite the gotcha they think it is, is it? These people are just absolute flat-liners in every way that counts.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How exaggerated is the extent of immigration and impact on border towns? Because they act like they are being absolutely swarmed by immigrants, their infrastructure utterly overwhelmed by the influx of people, and sending the immigrants to blue states is trying to make some point to prove the negative impact all the people arriving is having on those areas.

Also, I think the biggest troll move to pull on conservatives would be to amend immigration laws to make it so that if a state official sent you further into the country by bus/plane/whatever then it expedites the naturalization process since they are conceding that these new arrivals are going to be staying for good by sending them that direction.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Panfilo posted:

Also, I think the biggest troll move to pull on conservatives would be to amend immigration laws to make it so that if a state official sent you further into the country by bus/plane/whatever then it expedites the naturalization process since they are conceding that these new arrivals are going to be staying for good by sending them that direction.

They don't care if you do this because they're sending them to blue states. Their screaming about immigrants is the fear that having non-fascist people in red states might flip them blue.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They see immigration as contamination of the purity of the nation and the race, but they also see New York and Massachusetts as contamination of the purity of the nation and the race. That’s why it makes intuitive sense to them to treat another state like a hostile foreign power.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It's also how they'll simultaneously chortle at the idea of people moving out of California but freak out at the possibility those state refugees might vote in the same destructive policies in their new home.

Because of course the only people leaving CA are the ones who plan on instituting Gay Space Communism in Texas.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I mean being fair to Texas the did get loving Elon Musk. Heck of a lovely import.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Texas turned the "industrial safety" meter down until Musk was pulled in, magnet-like, by the potential for abuse

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Panfilo posted:

It's also how they'll simultaneously chortle at the idea of people moving out of California but freak out at the possibility those state refugees might vote in the same destructive policies in their new home.

Because of course the only people leaving CA are the ones who plan on instituting Gay Space Communism in Texas.

The people moving from California to Texas are mostly libertarian assholes upset that their "tax" dollars might be spent on policies that might actually help people.

They aren't sending us their best people.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Skex posted:

The people moving from California to Texas are mostly libertarian assholes upset that their "tax" dollars might be spent on policies that might actually help people.

Yeah that's what's annoying about it, native Texans voted to dump Ted Cruz in 2018, the transplants just voted by bigger margins to keep him.

Sax Mortar
Aug 24, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

They see immigration as contamination of the purity of the nation and the race, but they also see New York and Massachusetts as contamination of the purity of the nation and the race. That’s why it makes intuitive sense to them to treat another state like a hostile foreign power.

Which is also funny because their populations are increasing at a faster rate than New York/MA and resulting in more electoral votes. Sending more people up north means the populations up there grow faster and therefore they don't lose (and potentially gain) said votes.

Flawless victory.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

ah yes texas one of the original 13 states.

oh and spanish FL too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

ah yes texas one of the original 13 states.

oh and spanish FL too.

All of DeSantis great grandparents were born in Italy according to Wikipedia.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Skex posted:

Are there so many that Uhaul couldn't keep up with the demand in rentals or is that another stupid urban legend?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
To be fair that might be flvoraid drinking computer touchers that think living in a Uhuals is a good idea.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Are there so many that Uhaul couldn't keep up with the demand in rentals or is that another stupid urban legend?

The overall net change in populations of Texas and California from immigration is in the noise so, it doesn’t seem likely.

Here’s a graph of Texas population over the last 30 years. Notice how smooth and linear it is? Yeah. There’s no wave of people moving in or out or whatever..

https://usafacts.org/data/topics/pe...Date=1990-01-01

If anything that shows a slowing growth the last 5 years or so.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 16, 2022

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

PhazonLink posted:

To be fair that might be flvoraid drinking computer touchers that think living in a Uhuals is a good idea.

They're disrupting housing! Get with the times granddad

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

They love it.

gently caress you liberal Taxachusettes. if you love immigrants so much, have a whole plane full of them!

Assholes, man

Following up on this, having listened a little, this is 100% on point. The angle is all these liberal coastal elites in Mass freaking out over 30 immigrants or something. Segue...

Also, the name of the "comedy" segment I've been hearing pieces of during my lunch break is called "Fake News Friday" and it's about as funny as one might expect. Meaning not funny at all. They do like four or five headlines and maybe one of them is real but the rest are Babylon Bee levels of satire. Anyone with a brain can pick out the real one(s) but the point of the segment is it's supposed to be hilarious and the hosts and callers really yuck it up over stupid jokes. Trying to remember what they were.

E

It's guy named Mark Kaye.

https://www.wokv.com/on-demand/mark-kaye-show-podcast/

Starts at 57 minutes of the show titled NO NO NO...the Border IS Secure!!! if anyone wants a taste

One was "Mark Fetterman changed his name to Mark Fetterwoman and in response Herschel Walker changed his to Himschel Walker" True or False?

Get it? hahaha.

Another one was "After Biden's Inflation Party, They're now hosting a 'we're not being nuked by China' party"

"DOnald Trump offers to house illegal immigrants at Mar A Lago claiming it's more secure than the border"

Hilarious.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Mantis42 posted:

Yea I remember that talking point, I've seen like 500 chuds on Twitter use it to justify DeSantis' stunt in the past however many hours.

Not just Twitter chuds, Hannity was using it today too to justify it. So guess the right wing marching orders came out and it's "Well Biden started it by flying them to red states, so it's fair for DeSantis and Abbott to bus them to blue states!"

It's loving disgusting that people looking for a better life are being treated like pawns by a bunch of rich hateful assholes.

Panfilo posted:

How exaggerated is the extent of immigration and impact on border towns? Because they act like they are being absolutely swarmed by immigrants, their infrastructure utterly overwhelmed by the influx of people, and sending the immigrants to blue states is trying to make some point to prove the negative impact all the people arriving is having on those areas.

Hannity said he was laughing because apparently Martha's Vineyard is going to be sending the immigrants that got flown there to a nearby military base, because they just straight up don't have housing for them. He was like "That was only fifty illegal immigrants, Texas is getting millions! Imagine how much worse they have it! The fact Martha's Vineyard can't handle this proves that this is a major crisis Biden is creating!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Twelve by Pies posted:

Not just Twitter chuds, Hannity was using it today too to justify it. So guess the right wing marching orders came out and it's "Well Biden started it by flying them to red states, so it's fair for DeSantis and Abbott to bus them to blue states!"

It's loving disgusting that people looking for a better life are being treated like pawns by a bunch of rich hateful assholes.

Also I'm not sure if this has caught fire yet but I keep seeing the most on-the-fringe types taking the tack of "well you see the immigrants just said they weren't mad at DeSantis so actually this is a good thing and not at all a series of federal crimes"

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Hannity said he was laughing because apparently Martha's Vineyard is going to be sending the immigrants that got flown there to a nearby military base, because they just straight up don't have housing for them. He was like "That was only fifty illegal immigrants, Texas is getting millions! Imagine how much worse they have it! The fact Martha's Vineyard can't handle this proves that this is a major crisis Biden is creating!"

I know facts are irrelevant to these people but Boston is a port of entry and does get thousands of immigrants. Just, you know, fly them to Boston, not a small island that’s not a port of entry.

New York and California also dwarf Florida and Texas for Immigrants but it’s not like that wouldn’t ruin their narratives or something if they acknowledged it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Murgos posted:

I know facts are irrelevant to these people

They're relevant. They just to have to be alternative facts. Remember that one from like 10 years ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Twelve by Pies posted:

As a native Texan I'd just like to point out that if all of the undocumented left the state it's economy would collapse overnight.
These fuckers are stupid and it always seems like the most vocal of them on the subject are from states no where near a border.