Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Ura had the kinboshi yesterday so I think I'm at 14?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No longer in last place.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Terunofuji is weird because his final records are where they should be as a yokozuna but he feels like he's a kinboshi pinata on the way there

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Shiroc posted:

Terunofuji is weird because his final records are where they should be as a yokozuna but he feels like he's a kinboshi pinata on the way there

wasn't this the criticism of harumafuji?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Shiroc posted:

Hokutofuji getting balder and stronger like Goku taking off his weighted clothes

Lmao

Boogalo posted:

Ura had the kinboshi yesterday so I think I'm at 14?

Whoops, you're right, I forgot to do Ura's kinboshi. I'll do that right now and update the scores.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1571010990283837441?s=20&t=yo0xboWhDG8-agrV9ZUxfQ

:wiggle:

At this point, Teru going kyujo feels inevitable. You can see how incredibly light he's trying to be on his knees, even just mounting the dohyo.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It looks like there are at least 4 women near the front row in full geisha getup. Cool!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Trade request: Am I in time to request a trade Takakeisho for Terunofuji if i cannot have Takakeisho can I have Mitakeumi please?

I don't normally like to trade but if Terunofuji does bow out I don't want to lose so many potential points.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Jesus CHRIST the Wakamoto v Tochi match: https://clips.twitch.tv/AmusedCleanHabaneroVoHiYo-hT-RopCCY5QIAvHq

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Shiroc posted:

Hokutofuji getting balder and stronger like Goku taking off his weighted clothes

Convinced that bald spot is just from repeated trauma, dude uses his head like a battering ram, just straight blasting rikishi and his follicles.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Another day of cool action.

Midorifuji vs Hoshoryu was a great grappling battle. Very impressed by Midorifuji.

Beautiful reversal by WTK against Tamawashi too, even though I was rooting for Tamawashi.

Shodai.

And most importantly, the Hokutofuji hype keeps on going :killdozer:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My only loss today was the Wakamotoharu/Tochinoshin bout, but I can't be sad about Tochi picking up a win, so I count the entire day as a plus.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Well, it would seem my brand of sumo sucks in this basho!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

It's nice seeing Terutsuyoshi getting a straight up win with no nonsense.

Eli949
Oct 23, 2008
Kotoshoho absolutely blasted Oho off the dohyo, did not see that coming!

Terunofuji does not seem healthy enough to finish this out, worried for his joints.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tried to go hard and found out Tochi wasn't moving, choked himself out on the forearm. :stare:

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Convinced that bald spot is just from repeated trauma, dude uses his head like a battering ram, just straight blasting rikishi and his follicles.

I really think it's not bald in front. I think it's vitiligo or something like it that just makes the hair blonde. But it's also really hard to tell because no one seems to want to take a close up of his scalp. Whatever it is, you are probably right in that it's trauma from him using his forehead like a wrecking ball.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Honestly some very good sumo today. Midorifuji vs. Hoshoryu was thrills the whole time.

bessantj posted:

Trade request: Am I in time to request a trade Takakeisho for Terunofuji if i cannot have Takakeisho can I have Mitakeumi please?

I don't normally like to trade but if Terunofuji does bow out I don't want to lose so many potential points.

Trade registered for Day 7! Just under the wire. You got Mitakeumi.

:siren:Last call for trades:siren:

Trading closes on Day 8, so this is your last chance to shed whatever anchor is dragging down your team. Automatic kyujo trading will still happen in week 2.

Day 7 standings

Makuuchi
code:
24	Mode 7
23	Communist Thoughts
23	Eli949
22	Banana Canada
22	Jobbo_Fett
22	MyChemicalImbalance
22	Saturnine Aberrance
22	pseudodragon
21	anakha
21	bessantj
21	Charles Gnarwin
21	Crusty Nutsack
21	Kenning
21	Lid
21	Netsky
21	scripterror
21	Takuan
21	Thauros
20	bartolimu
20	Ice Phisherman
20	Khizan
20	NuclearPotato
20	whats for dinner
20	Everyones Favorite Poster
19	Flinger
19	Iron Chef Nex
19	Marching Powder
19	Tochiazuma
19	Vargatron
18	Fluffdaddy
18	jmzero
17	GoatSeeGuy
17	Tiny Bug Child
16	Chinook
16	Neodoomium
16	S.W.O.R.D. Agent
15	Robviously
15	Teddybear
11	sivad
11	ullerrm
Juryo
code:
23	Helianthus Annuus
21	ilmucche
21	MalarkeyToboggan
20	Brut
20	Gaghskull
20	Pakled
20	KungFu Grip
19	Kuros
19	Maigius
18	Ben Nerevarine
18	Enfys
18	Lexorin
18	LlamaTrauma
18	ratmosphere
17	Biosys
17	Liquid Communism
17	Log082
17	oldskool
17	PJ
17	Xerzes
16	Akiosan
16	Boogalo
16	Dead Goon
16	QuasiQuack
16	rare Magic card l00k
15	Mekchu
12	Bentai

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Thoughts going forward from Day 7:

bartolimu posted:

....................................................................................................Shodai
This was prescient and I would like to continue this prediction for the remainder of the basho.

I'm extremely happy to see Hokutofuji imposing his style and doing so well. He's got an extra burden of sumo-ness being in Hakaku stable; whether or not it was his preference to go forward like a bulldog, he'd have to. The fact it's working so well for him right now is fantastic to watch.

Midorifuji is doing much better than I'd expected, and he's almost through the gauntlet at this point. Anyone who picked him should be very happy with their choice. I hope he gets a technique prize at the end of this, because he's been absolutely brilliant. Today's match with Hoshoryu was my favorite of the basho so far.

I'm also happy with Chiyoshoma's record so far, and several of his wins have come from solid technique which is encouraging for his overall condition. I hope he can keep it up through the second half, it would be nice to see a kk for him for the first time this year.

Takayasu doesn't quite seem in cup-challenging condition, but he's doing fine and I suspect he'll get kk with little trouble.

Teru got gifted a win from his friend today. If the matchmaking committee continues to be kind he might make it through day 10, but at some point he's gonna give up another star or lose to Mitakeumi and it'll be clear he needs to take a break.

Ichinojo is back to Snorlax mode; from Komosubi he can just hang out for half a year without needing to risk anything really.

I don't see Mitakeumi keeping ozeki without some serious luck, but I guess we'll see. He doesn't generally tire as much as some in the second week, so maybe.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

bartolimu posted:

He's got an extra burden of sumo-ness being in Hakaku stable

What is this a reference to? I'm not in the loop

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Beeswax posted:

What is this a reference to? I'm not in the loop

Hakkaku is the current chairman of the JSA and former 61st Yokozuna Hokutoumi, so in theory things are slightly stricter for his wrestlers than say...someone from Asahiyama Beya:

https://twitter.com/AsahiYamabeya/status/1570746710653276161

Where nobody is ranked above Sandanme and the oyakata is a former Sekiwake who had to rotate through 8 different kabu

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Sumo Heya Neko is probably a good life if you can get it (the birthday video on the bottom left)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Shiroc posted:

Sumo Heya Neko is probably a good life if you can get it (the birthday video on the bottom left)

Sumo Kitty?

Edit: wait I think that's a dog in the video

That's a long snout right? Just a scared pupper with their tail down?

Brut fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 17, 2022

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Trade request:
I would like to trade my 2nd S/K Pick Ichinojo for my 3rd, Kiribayama.

I'm just constitutionally not a fan of trading, and I just know this will be the point where Ichinojo wakes up, but I felt even earlier that I might be over-valuing Ichinojo off the results of last basho, and I think that's borne out. I'm splitting the difference by sticking to my list, but still feels weird picking out the guy doing great. I'm sure if the sumo gods are displeased by this choice, Ichinojo will awaken and show me the error of my ways, but I feel that I am more in line with my brand of fantasy sumo by picking Kiribayama. Gambarize.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Brut posted:

Hakkaku is the current chairman of the JSA and former 61st Yokozuna Hokutoumi, so in theory things are slightly stricter for his wrestlers than say...someone from Asahiyama Beya:

Pretty much this, yeah. Hokutofuji is the highest-ranking rikshi in the stable of the highest-ranking official in sumo, partial inheritor of his coach's ring name, and therefore (at least in my head cannon of JSA expectations) the ur-rikshi, whose demeanor and style must meet every expectation perfectly. I've literally never seen the man so much as raise an eyebrow after a match. His face might as well be made of stone (and honestly it'd be safer for him if it was). He is impassive, implacable, and unfortunately for his record utterly predictable, because he's never going to backstep or pull. Forward-moving sumo only. Maybe some day he'll publish a memoir and we'll learn how much of that is on his coach's expectations and how much of it is personal preference. For now all I can say is he's amazingly consistent and always one of my favorites to watch.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
Takakeisho looked so composed and balanced against Takayasu, that lateral movement to get off the edge and into an attacking position was beautiful. When healthy he's just so good.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Loving Ura giving poo poo to the sanyaku ranks. Come on boy!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Trade Request: Am I too late for Day 8? I would like to trade out Ichinojo for Wakatakakage or Daieisho (in that order of preference). Thank you very much!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Kenning posted:

Trade registered for Day 7! Just under the wire. You got Mitakeumi.

Now it feels like a monkey paw moment.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Tamawashi absolutely wrecked Sadanoumi

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I had a dream last night where I was giving tips to Nishikigi on how to beat Terunofuji

I suggested that he go hard and fast inside and make sure he got him off balance to avoid the arm clamp.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I can't remark on a specific match because there were a lot of good ones today. Good sumo day.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Shodai vs. Daieisho is my favorite matchup strictly on the ouroboros nature of their names together. ShoDaieiShoDaieiSho...

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Hirayuki posted:

Shodai vs. Daieisho is my favorite matchup strictly on the ouroboros nature of their names together. ShoDaieiShoDaieiSho...

Lol

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When I had my dream about giving my advice to Nishikigi, I didn't know that they were facing each other for day 8. If only he'd been able to receive it in real life.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Day 8
Tobizaru v Ichinojo
Really, really cool to see Tobizaru dismantling a much larger opponent with repeated hit and run thrusts until he finds an opening to finish him

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Tonight in Makuuchi: Do a flip!

e: SHODAI

Archenteron fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Sep 19, 2022

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Kinboshi for Takayasu, but man, Terunofuji's knees are just gone. He was limping worse than Tochi on a bad day coming off the clay there.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I appreciate a drive to let some rank and file guys get some salary increases but if your rank is secure I can't see why you would be doing this rather than rehabbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-NIaV_-ZpM