Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

i'm really worried that i've still not seen a ladybird since i realised i hadn't seen a ladybird in years a fair while ago

Have a picture of one that said hello to me a couple of summers ago:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

crispix posted:

i'm really worried that i've still not seen a ladybird since i realised i hadn't seen a ladybird in years a fair while ago

I moved into a new flat at the start of the year and for the first few weeks it was rammed with them. So that's where they've been, my flat.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'd never be forced into buying a toilet from a barista

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

OwlFancier posted:

Have a picture of one that said hello to me a couple of summers ago:

cute little buggers aren't they

until you see them on their backs, anyway

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

crispix posted:

cute little buggers aren't they

until you see them on their backs, anyway

It's trying to turn itself over but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping. Why is that, crispix?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i always help beasties if i can

rescued a daddy longlegs stuck in an abandoned cobweb last week

was making a noise like pfpfpfpfppfpfpfpffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff like them things you used to put in bike spokes, to make an exciting noise

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
rescued a mouse too from two fat, spoiled kitties who were going to kill it for fun

i was going out to put my food waste in the compost bin using an old ice cream tub for transit so used that to transport the mouse to safety

wonder what the little thing made of it, being seconds away from certain death then suddenly in a perfectly white and featureless environment, then dropped into a nice safe hedge

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I made myself a 1m volcano vaporiser bag this week, and it's the perfect size to take with me when I venture into town:

https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1570367236346466304

The only person who said anything to me was a well dressed tory looking pensioner outside the chippy. When I mentioned that it was cannabis, followed quickly with 'don't worry, it's legal, it's prescribed', she then asked me 'does it help?'. It then turned out that she suffered badly with chronic pain from her lupus, and confided in me that she heavily used cannabis when she spent a few years as a hippy in the 60's... I left her with the details on how to sign up with Sapphire Medical Clinics with the full knowledge that she'll easily be accepted.

Not gonna lie... it feels good being able to potentially change peoples lives for the better in this way. My 1m volcano bag will be a fixture for every trip outside now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Johnny Appleweed.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It felt good doing this too. Nobody's so far taken offence about vaping hindu kush for her royal deadness
https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1569667126419660802

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Even someone moving her in a wheelbarrow could clear that in an hour. Obviously more people might show up if you did this, but that would easily be solved by having the coffin just do loops around like Hyde Park or something.

I'm getting a sudden inspiration concerning those big costumes for ITS A KNOCKOUT we have mothballed somewhere.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
:siren: SOMEONE HAS TOUCHED THE COFFIN :siren:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

crispix posted:

rescued a mouse too from two fat, spoiled kitties who were going to kill it for fun

i was going out to put my food waste in the compost bin using an old ice cream tub for transit so used that to transport the mouse to safety

wonder what the little thing made of it, being seconds away from certain death then suddenly in a perfectly white and featureless environment, then dropped into a nice safe hedge

Back in 2020, I had this huge infestation of mice into my attic. I started using humane traps to catch and release them into the wild*. I started naming them with individual letters of the alphabet and ended up looping around to AO, so there was 42 of them caught by the end. I even took to recording them and putting it online since it was the Pandemic and we were all a bit bored/mad.

My experience with caught mice is they are terrified of everything and just want to find something to stress eat and/or escape.

*= It also made me realize it's pointless to use kill traps on mice.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Question IRL posted:

Back in 2020, I had this huge infestation of mice into my attic. I started using humane traps to catch and release them into the wild*. I started naming them with individual letters of the alphabet and ended up looping around to AO

Must have been an emotional day when you said goodbye to Aoife

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I consider it training for what it will be like in the future when I have to kick my grown up children out of my house and make them get jobs.

(But excellent pun.)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

*= It also made me realize it's pointless to use kill traps on mice.

Elaborate? They've always seemed to work for me

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mice have never, ever fallen for any of the humane traps I've tried. The ones in my flat are crafty bastards.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Have you tried killing their Queen? Then you can booby trap the tiny little coffin

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-62925746

quote:

A former BBC radio presenter found guilty of stalking four people including broadcaster Jeremy Vine has been jailed for five and a half years.

Alex Belfield, who now runs a YouTube channel, stalked his victims by harassing them online.

His trial heard he made YouTube videos about them, posted messages on social media, sent emails, and also encouraged his followers to target them.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just had a look at his youtube channel, dude seems like a bit of a nutcase.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I'm vaguely aware of this, get the impression he was an anti-vax qanon style nutter

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
He was still making youtube videos about the case whilst it was ongoing having a go at everyone involved and how they were all in on it so I doubt the veracity of his solicitors claims that he is now very sorry about it all.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

He was still making youtube videos about the case whilst it was ongoing having a go at everyone involved and how they were all in on it so I doubt the veracity of his solicitors claims that he is now very sorry about it all.

The fact that the judge also decided to rule against him on several civil counts at the same time as the criminal sentencing does suggest that he really went out of his way to piss off a judge.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

fuctifino posted:

It felt good doing this too. Nobody's so far taken offence about vaping hindu kush for her royal deadness
https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1569667126419660802

Okay but imagine if you had a full one and you snagged the bag and it ripped :nsavince:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Elaborate? They've always seemed to work for me

Okay so, it's 2020 and I find mice running around my attict.

I set up some humane traps. Clear looking plastic ones that look like a prison you would put Magneto in.

I use a variety of bait, but mostly Peanut Butter in paper cupcake molds (so the peanut butter doesn't get on the inside of the trap.) put at the back of the trap.
The reason is the peanut butter is so sticky, the mouse can't just grab it and run. They spend ages trying to pull the stuff and set off the trap. I also put some small pieces of paper along the tube of the trap so the mouse has to navigate the trap to get to the food and it helps improve the traps success ratio.

So I am setting these traps and checking them every day. I catch a mouse, then I take the mouse out to the field on the farm we live and let them go.
Next day there is another mouse.

I am wondering if it's the same mouse coming back in and would I be best off using kill traps. Then I have an idea.

I take some of my wife's (old) Nail polish and apply it to the claws of the mice I catch.
It's bright red and very easily viewable on a caught mouse.

I then decide to dump the mice in fields about a five minute drive from my house. (Still within the 5KM range we were allowed go at this stage in the Pandemic.)

What I notice is the mice I catch don't have the red claw marks. The only time I catch a mouse with Nail Polish on it's claws was the one time it was raining and I released it in the back field.

Eventually after catching and releasing some 40 odd mice, the mice infestation stops after I found and filled a number of holes in the attic.

So my conclusion.

1) If the mice I was catching and releasing were the same ones getting back into the house, a Kill Trap would have been an effective method of stopping them.

2) If the mice I was catching and releasing were different mice, a Kill Trap wouldn't have been an effective method of stopping them since it is different mice every time.

3) By marking them (even not withstanding that the mice could have chewed off the nail polish) and then releasing them a very good distance away, I could be reasonably sure it was different mice getting inside my attic and not the same mice over and over again.

4) Releasing the mice very far away and dealing with the root cause of how they were getting into my house was a better solution to the problem than killing the mice.

Post Script: We have two cats and one dog.
In all their time here the dog has killed one mouse that got into the kitchen.
The cats have killed a few mice, but mostly they were ones they killed outside and brought into the house.
Traps and filler is the way to go. And Nail Polish too, I suppose.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

crispix posted:

a ladybird landed on my trouser leg just last week

it came home with me

eventually I put him out via the window, but he seemed really insistent about hanging out for awhile

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Aipsh posted:

Okay but imagine if you had a full one and you snagged the bag and it ripped :nsavince:

That's why I always carry this in the side pannier of the wheelchair: an emergency Dynavap, induction heater, 3 strains of meds and a way to decap and debowl the dynavap.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OwlFancier posted:

Johnny Appleweed.

lol

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

In all their time here the dog has killed one mouse that got into the kitchen.

Dogs that are mousers tend to be better at destroying nests that dealing with individual mice. Their instinct is to dig out the nest and kill all the babies, so unless you find the nest they tend to be a bit passive and useless with adult mice.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also dugs can turn up a nest of mice without writing a blog post about about how the human ability to plough a field consigns us to eternal misery.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Dogs that are mousers tend to be better at destroying nests that dealing with individual mice. Their instinct is to dig out the nest and kill all the babies, so unless you find the nest they tend to be a bit passive and useless with adult mice.

Our dog is a boarder collie mix.(so a medium sized dog.) We aren't sure what the rest of the breed is but I suspect it is some smaller breed like Jack Russle or Terrier.
So she does try and do the mouser thing of sticking her snout in holes and exhaling to scare prey out. I haven't seen it work, but I did see her jump on a rat and kill it in the field once.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Also dugs can turn up a nest of mice without writing a blog post about about how the human ability to plough a field consigns us to eternal misery.

Hey The Secret of NIMH owns

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/monosynth/status/1502760845574508546

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
... majware?

https://twitter.com/Albion_2000_LDN/status/1569926557271040000

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

The only person who said anything to me was a well dressed tory looking pensioner outside the chippy. When I mentioned that it was cannabis, followed quickly with 'don't worry, it's legal, it's prescribed', she then asked me 'does it help?'. It then turned out that she suffered badly with chronic pain from her lupus, and confided in me that she heavily used cannabis when she spent a few years as a hippy in the 60's... I left her with the details on how to sign up with Sapphire Medical Clinics with the full knowledge that she'll easily be accepted.

Not gonna lie... it feels good being able to potentially change peoples lives for the better in this way. My 1m volcano bag will be a fixture for every trip outside now.

Lovely job. :thumbsup:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Our dog is a Yorkie/JRT mix and the sweetest possible girl. She's also pushing 15 and needs help jumping up on furniture and such now.

A couple months ago mum was sitting in the garden and saw a blur, heard a squeak, and the dog had absolutely murdered a rat that was trying to sneak along one of the flowerbeds. Just shot across, one shake, done. And then we had to spend half an hour trying to comfort the dog that no, in this specific instance, biting is okay and fine. She was sure she'd been bad. :3:

This is her, just before a haircut, attempting to get my attention at 2am from my doorway. She can't come in here, you see, because the cat is a tyrant.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

HopperUK posted:

Our dog is a Yorkie/JRT mix and the sweetest possible girl. She's also pushing 15 and needs help jumping up on furniture and such now.

A couple months ago mum was sitting in the garden and saw a blur, heard a squeak, and the dog had absolutely murdered a rat that was trying to sneak along one of the flowerbeds. Just shot across, one shake, done. And then we had to spend half an hour trying to comfort the dog that no, in this specific instance, biting is okay and fine. She was sure she'd been bad. :3:

This is her, just before a haircut, attempting to get my attention at 2am from my doorway. She can't come in here, you see, because the cat is a tyrant.

My aunt had a Yorkie that lived to 21... blind and balding but very much cared for.

-----

Alex Belfield watched his vids years ago; a self centered, pompous grifter if i ever saw one.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
This is how they queue on the continent in comparison

https://twitter.com/zdfbayern/status/1571035609539694592?s=46&t=K8pE3FH-58QTjMIfhvkiZg

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't reckon british pensioners can go that fast under their own power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’m not surprised to hear that the German Kawasaki is already operational