Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Harlock posted:

I'd say most of the revival Doctors if not all of them had some sort of arc that wrapped up with their regeneration and I can't honestly think of what that is for Jodie. Despite her performances from time to time, the actual characterization seemed kind of flat. I still feel like I dunno what her signature trait or (whatever) is.

I remember thinking in the first episode that she'd be the Doctor that builds after she made a new screwdriver from scratch. And then in the rest of the episodes I saw she never did anything like that again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Her signature trait is getting someone local to do all her work for her.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
She says "fam", and uhhh performatively eschews the hierarchical structure Doctor / companion relationships until the moment it becomes inconvenient for her.

Sometimes she struggles with feelings and shuns people?

That's kinda all I've got.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

She's whatever is necessary for the plot, just like everyone else

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mooseontheloose posted:

I actually think Chinball refocusing on "historicals" is interesting because with some separation from the 60s to the 80s and in fact I think Rosa a decent to good episode (I know I am in the minority in this thought). Also, Demons of Punjab is great because it takes a look at the effects of the Empire and what it did to people and lifted the history of historically oppressed people.

Too bad Chinball:

1) got stuck in his own continuity
2) Made the lighting super dark and it just did not work.

The historicals were probably the best ones. I love good historicals. Even Rosa, which I don't like, had some redeeming things. Probably the worst part to me is still the idea that black/white Western civ racism is the Uber Racism of humanity, worse than any racism before and will forever reverberate through thousands of years, even as we move into the stars and meet aliens and are pansexual--there will always be some White Supremacists who specifically hate that one color. And all you have to do to stop civil rights is one moment on one bus in a movement that had already started. But--the idea of visiting that era was a good one. The idea that there are some events that are bad but have to happen and as a time traveler you have to let them play out is a neat concept. Even more so having to put yourself in the "bad" part of the scenario and play a role you are personally against just to let history proceed.

I can't speak to the stuff after Timeless Child. I'll probably watch it some day I guess, as I'm a completionist. But of the stuff before, it was fair to middling. Except anything with The Master, Diwan was aces. But Timeless Child and 400 previous Doctors just broke me.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

MrL_JaKiri posted:

the Doctor describing a daisy, it's demented

HOW DAISY WAS IT

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Doctor Who creative team in the 70s basically going,"gently caress it, we're Buddhists now" ruled.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

I pretty much saw the whole first season of Chibnall Who and in the break between seasons I pretty much decided I'd give up watching week to week and wait a couple years for it to improve based on reviews and general feeling. It did not.

Then I watched Jay Exci's magnum opus The Fall of Doctor Who (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_A7n83Rh0) and that pretty much put the nail in the coffin as far as my opinion was concerned. Then RTD got announced as the successor and I'd never thought I'd want him back again (I saw the End of Time, after all), but it was a relief.

I'm just sorry that Jodie Whitaker's run was blighted by a very poor writer. She had so much potential, and it was shining through the whole time but just drowned in nonsense.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Rhyno posted:

That's probably my favorite Three story.

The first episode is good camp fun but the story seems to want to hit exactly the same moments multiple times (eg the master shouting for Kronos to come) without really developing much in between them.

One of my co-watchers describing Kronos's actual appearance in the modern day bit as "a pigeon has got into the lab" didn't help the gravitas of the situation either

Open Source Idiom posted:

While this is probably true, the daisy scene is pretty iconic ngl.

It's done much better in The Planet of the Spiders, by the same author(s)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Is that the story that ends with Sergeant Benton in a diaper?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jerusalem posted:

Is that the story that ends with Sergeant Benton in a diaper?

Yes (sad story with that subplot, the baby that played Baby Benton died shortly after filming)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh, I never knew that. Oh. That's.... goddammit. :smith:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
'The Time Monster' was 90% actors trying to say "TOMTIT" with gravitas, IIRC.

"TOMTIT."
:confused: "TOMTIT?"
:hmmyes: "TOMTIT."
:ohdear: "TOM-TIT?"
"TOMTIT!"

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Crapilicious posted:

I pretty much saw the whole first season of Chibnall Who and in the break between seasons I pretty much decided I'd give up watching week to week and wait a couple years for it to improve based on reviews and general feeling. It did not.

Then I watched Jay Exci's magnum opus The Fall of Doctor Who (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8_A7n83Rh0) and that pretty much put the nail in the coffin as far as my opinion was concerned. Then RTD got announced as the successor and I'd never thought I'd want him back again (I saw the End of Time, after all), but it was a relief.

I'm just sorry that Jodie Whitaker's run was blighted by a very poor writer. She had so much potential, and it was shining through the whole time but just drowned in nonsense.

I'm not sure how to articulate it, but I thought it was interesting that I read that Moffat short story and thought, "Oh, so that's how a solid writer takes what's been established so far and Whittaker's performance and makes the Thirteenth Doctor feel like the Doctor."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

One of my co-watchers describing Kronos's actual appearance in the modern day bit as "a pigeon has got into the lab" didn't help the gravitas of the situation either

Oh, that's good. I've always loved Kronos described as an "apopleptic budgerigar."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor Who creative team in the 70s basically going,"gently caress it, we're Buddhists now" ruled.

I think Barry Letts actually was a Buddhist.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Davros1 posted:

I think Barry Letts actually was a Buddhist.

He very much was. From his Guardian obituary:

quote:

Letts was a Buddhist, and his beliefs influenced his contributions to the series, such as the episode The Green Death (1973), co-written with Robert Sloman, which reflected his ecological concerns.

quote:

Swarthy in younger days, later growing a distinctive beard, he believed that if intelligent people are gathered together, "they will tend to be liberal/left of centre, because that is the most intelligent position to take".

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Chibnall seems far more interested in Yaz as a character than the Doctor, and Yaz has paper thin characterization!

Radio 4 are airing some of the Big Finish Tenth Doctor Adventures. I never really took to Donna as a companion, let's see if this helps.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Chibnall seems far more interested in Yaz as a character than the Doctor, and Yaz has paper thin characterization!

Radio 4 are airing some of the Big Finish Tenth Doctor Adventures. I never really took to Donna as a companion, let's see if this helps.

I think Chibnall started really admiring the way RTD and Moffat could establish character rapidly with a few lines of dialogue and decided he needed to figure out how to do that. He forgot that they did that with one-shot characters in a story for ten minutes or less and started doing it with everyone.

He has considerably improved in that specific skill, but it hasn’t helped him with longer-term characterization. He seems to have largely regressed and it”s mostly the actors left to fill in the gaps.

If I had to provide short summaries of the new series Doctors, they’d probably be:
Nine: guilt-ridden
Ten: manic
Eleven: goofy but ancient
Twelve: deeply compassionate and gruff
Thirteen: ????

Initially it looked like she was going to be much more socially aware (in contrast to Twelve), and a gadget-maker. But over time she has come to feel more like an enthusiastic tourist who gets caught up in events. If Chibnall was doing a sort of restart making Thirteen closer to early One or Two, he’s run out of time to get any development.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Narsham posted:

I think Chibnall started really admiring the way RTD and Moffat could establish character rapidly with a few lines of dialogue and decided he needed to figure out how to do that. He forgot that they did that with one-shot characters in a story for ten minutes or less and started doing it with everyone.

He has considerably improved in that specific skill, but it hasn’t helped him with longer-term characterization. He seems to have largely regressed and it”s mostly the actors left to fill in the gaps.

If I had to provide short summaries of the new series Doctors, they’d probably be:
Nine: guilt-ridden
Ten: manic
Eleven: goofy but ancient
Twelve: deeply compassionate and gruff
Thirteen: ????

Initially it looked like she was going to be much more socially aware (in contrast to Twelve), and a gadget-maker. But over time she has come to feel more like an enthusiastic tourist who gets caught up in events. If Chibnall was doing a sort of restart making Thirteen closer to early One or Two, he’s run out of time to get any development.

She's actually a lot like Doctor -318 and Doctor -52 with a bit of Doctor -724 in there but right now they only exist in Chibnall's headcanon. :v:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

OldMemes posted:

I don't know if it will help you, but I loved the two sets of Ten stories with Donna that they did. Not every story was a winner, but there were some amazing ones (Death and the Queen is a stand out) and they nailed the tone of that era of the show.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Chibbers’ tenure does have on saving grace, though:

https://twitter.com/scribblesscript/status/1571602368692899840?s=46

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
How dare, that’s the best Christmas song, and my own personal Whamageddon. When I hear that on the radio, the Christmas period has officially started.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

How dare, that’s the best Christmas song, and my own personal Whamageddon. When I hear that on the radio, the Christmas period has officially started.

Unfortunately I watched Last Christmas (the one with Nick Frost as Santa) right after a lovely breakup that occurred over the Christmas period that year so that song is forever ruined for me.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The promotion has begun

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1572616885262487552

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Its really too late to delay 14's start by a year so Whittaker can have some actual stories under her belt, eh

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
loving rad. Free 17 minute short story / rant from BF Torchwood range. And a hint there at the end for Season 7.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/torchwood-a-postcard-from-mr-colchester-2741

Also the final David Warner Doctor set. Super psyched. For this, James Goss is 100% the best writer working in Doctor Who for the last ten years, except Stephen Moffat. I'd stack him up against Jamie Matheson, even.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-the-new-adventures-of-bernice-summerfield-volume-07-blood-and-steel-2420

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mameluke posted:

Its really too late to delay 14's start by a year so Whittaker can have some actual stories under her belt, eh

I understand why they see it as a clean break to leave with the showrunner, but I do regret we didn't get a year of Tennant under Moffat (but then again, we got close to a perfect season 5 as a result, with the only mar on it being.... hmmm.... Chris Chibnall......) and we won't get a year of Whittaker under RTD.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Silurian two-parter was awful, and his previous offerings were pretty uninspiring, but Chibnall's Series 7 episodes weren't half bad and left me feeling somewhat optimistic when he was announced. Imagine yearning for the days of quality offerings like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jerusalem posted:

I understand why they see it as a clean break to leave with the showrunner, but I do regret we didn't get a year of Tennant under Moffat (but then again, we got close to a perfect season 5 as a result, with the only mar on it being.... hmmm.... Chris Chibnall......) and we won't get a year of Whittaker under RTD.

I do see what you're saying but I wouldn't trade Matt Smith's season 5 for anything

Anything

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1572556261165367296?s=20&t=eFl6_sQq4-8q51aHkEu-uA

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rochallor posted:

The Silurian two-parter was awful, and his previous offerings were pretty uninspiring, but Chibnall's Series 7 episodes weren't half bad and left me feeling somewhat optimistic when he was announced. Imagine yearning for the days of quality offerings like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship.

The Silurian two-parter is elevated enormously in memory by ending the way it did.

In fact, I'd argue that ending probably wouldn't have hit as well if it weren't in a story that was otherwise skippable. You expect a pretty showstopper episode like, say, the Angels two-parter to be one that they do Big Deal poo poo in (which is probably why people picked up on the slightly incongruent Amy/Doctor scene as being potentially important instead of just a continuity error), so you're generally bracing for something even if you don't know what exactly. But the Silurian two-parter feeling pretty inconsequential meant that we were genuinely blindsided when suddenly something hugely important happened out of nowhere.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The bit in the Silurian two-parter where a British woman's casual endorsement of Terra Nullius in Australia is presented as a good thing loving sucks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The ending of the Silurian 2-parter really does feel like Moffat suddenly shoved Chibnall out of his seat and jumped onto the word processor. The sudden leap in quality is insane.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The second episode has a few bits that feel like they were written in the editing room, like the entire narrated opening sequence.

The bit where the Doctor admits to "adore"-ing a child vivisectionist is loving hilarious.

Awful, awful story.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

The ending of the Silurian 2-parter really does feel like Moffat suddenly shoved Chibnall out of his seat and jumped onto the word processor. The sudden leap in quality is insane.

That’s literally (more or less) what happened!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Why don't the Daleks say "I obey" on TV anymore when being given orders.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Looking at the list of Dalek stories, when was the last time we actually had a Dalek given orders? I think all the Whitaker appearances have been either a lone Dalek or a group of two or three working independently. Before that was the Davros two-parter, and the Daleks don't necessarily obey Davros. Into the Dalek was just a single Dalek, and after that we're back into Matt Smith territory.

On a largely unrelated note, can any long-time fans answer a question about the New Adventures and their use of the Daleks? I'd heard before I started reading that there were no Dalek stories in the NAs, which I assumed was a rights thing because I know they show up in the EDAs which were published by the BBC. However, the Daleks are frequently mentioned, one character carries their severed arms around as weapons, Ace leaves to fight in the Dalek Wars, Benny has a dream about one, etc. But a whole, real, non-dream Dalek never actually shows up. Is there some weird copyright thing where Daleks can't feature as main players in the NAs but only as cameos , or a limit on how many times you can use the word? The overall arc of the NAs is to do new stories with new villains, but there's plenty of books that are willing to really dive deep into continuity, so it seems odd to draw there, especially how often they're name-dropped. Do you have to pay Terry Nation's estate one-eighth of the appearance fee if you only include a Dalek arm?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

It seems that the estate were quite inflexible on usage rights in the wilderness years, even up to the point of the new series - an entirely different draft of Dalek with no Dalek in it was written up just in case they pulled the rights last minute.

Aside from the two EDAs, the Daleks have really no appearances outside of Big Finish in that era. For example, iirc the Daleks were meant to play a role in the Faction Paradox arc of the BBC books before getting effectively written out.

In the later days of that range, it was quite heavily implied that the Daleks were the ones being the incredibly convoluted plan that became the main plotline. Due to issues with the rights, they were written out last minute and replaced with crystal skeletons of the Doctor's previous incarnations, because the EDAs were wild, to say the least.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

EDA more like Eigh Dumb Astory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Dabir posted:

EDA more like Eigh Dumb Astory

It can't be understated how deeply, deeply weird the EDAs get, especially with the overarching plot in later books.

The Lucie Miller audios are also referred to as the EDAs which get confusing.