Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bloodychill posted:

If there’s a headset that’s wireless and lets you see around you and do AR and optimally engage VR, they’re not talking about it.

Lol you are literally describing a quest 2. The most talked about Vr headset for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Shadow of the Colossus is a good game. whatever." -- Tim Rogers

"I encourage my viewers to practice delayed gratification. It builds character."

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Sep 17, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://clips.twitch.tv/SourAuspiciousDogeFeelsBadMan-MIbstGsLk6VDZjTI

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I woke up in a haze this morning and I misread this as ‘it will be back compat’ and I thought ‘nice. that’s a good deal’. Actually a little incomprehensible thag it’s not back compat. Way to go.

Biggest news of the year is Konami is back at it again. Second biggest news is that fighting games are back baybeeee. GGS and blaz blue on gamepass, sf6 and tekken 8 look awesome.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

veni veni veni posted:

Lol you are literally describing a quest 2. The most talked about Vr headset for years

Still needs a cable to really play anything decent. We’re not at the point where you can take an APU with the power of a 1080 or 3070 and matching processor and and get it small enough to fit into a headset with heat and power consumption in control, hence being a few years off.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
My dream VR experience is sitting on my rear end with a regular controller. Wire me up baby

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

bloodychill posted:

Still needs a cable to really play anything decent. We’re not at the point where you can take an APU with the power of a 1080 or 3070 and matching processor and and get it small enough to fit into a headset with heat and power consumption in control, hence being a few years off.

It doesn’t. You can use it wirelessly with pc games

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

bloodychill posted:

You can stream from a PC without a cable. Not sure if you still need to get a third party thing for it or if the latency isn't a problem though. I think the bigger point is it's almost there either way so your initial assertion of ten years out is underestimating it. Probably more like 4 years maybe, idk, there's a VR thread that probably knows.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Totally hooked on Returnal now.

I died way too many times in the first world that I nearly gave up until a good run carried me through it - and then I just wrecked the 2nd and 3rd worlds without a problem.

And then I fnished it and an ACT 1 achievement popped it. gently caress, I'm only a portion through the game?? Ok, gotta buckle in now.

But at least this point the movement is really fun and eases the previous runs. Great game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Brightman posted:

You can stream from a PC without a cable. Not sure if you still need to get a third party thing for it or if the latency isn't a problem though. I think the bigger point is it's almost there either way so your initial assertion of ten years out is underestimating it. Probably more like 4 years maybe, idk, there's a VR thread that probably knows.

That’s fair enough. I looked it up and the wireless seems potentially ok if whatever it’s doing doesn’t introduce just enough latency to make me sick to my stomach but it still has the high barrier of entry problem. If this is just good enough to make it workable, we might start seeing more games to make it worthwhile and more development to make the tech cheaper and more widely available without needing a PC base station.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

bloodychill posted:

we might start seeing more games to make it worthwhile and more development to make the tech cheaper

Jim Ryan just shuddered

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

Tethered vr is way less appealing now in 2022 than 2016. The cost is going to be high, the library is going to be small, and the distraction of supporting it is going to make even bigger gaps in 1st party releases for the regular console.

I dont see them outselling psvr 1 when oculus is cheaper than a switch, no tether, bigger library, and theres not the same vr hype as when psvr 1 launched and vr was the biggest new thing in gaming.

I think they are just gonna try and get all you 1 owners to rebuy beat saber before ghosting you on software support after 18 months

lol wasn't Oculus the one that literally raised the price of their hardware by $100 ?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lmfao

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Occulus is also subsidized by Facebook bucks.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hoffadoff posted:

It was me. I'd quote it and put it here and have BP put it in the op but I'm on my phone and quite honestly don't know how to quote posts from different threads. I'd also put in the part that another goon mentioned that it might make playing multi player worse just in case.

I put it in the op, thanks for the reminder

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

lol

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tim Rogers working at Polygon confirmed

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Guillermus posted:

lmao

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Guillermus posted:

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Jim Ryan just shuddered

PS Poor No More™

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Endless tutorials popping up when you suck at a game is trash, but the truly cursed poo poo is games prompting you to turn down the difficulty after you die like, twice.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

veni veni veni posted:

Endless tutorials popping up when you suck at a game is trash, but the truly cursed poo poo is games prompting you to turn down the difficulty after you die like, twice.

I wouldn't know. :smug:

I turn it down to start with.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VARIOUS DAYLIFE in the store...i thought that was quarantined to the switch...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Reacting like he's on the game over screen in Final Fight at a tutorial pop-up.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
VR chat the comic:

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Embrace vr. Embrace re4vr

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

dmc and platinum games say hello.

Ps2 gow too lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Wo Long seems really cool from the demo despite potentially being a little bit too familiar. Seems like they've toned down loot which will probably satisfy a lot of people after Nioh's dumptrucks full of swords.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I bought riders republic because I tried the free week and then told me I couldn't play anymore unless I bought the game. It's fun, but so many icons. Yesterday I had to stare at the map for 2 minutes while it showed me which new events I had unlocked.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It’s somehow more annoying than that one bitcoin comic

Why does VR prevent ageing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i dont like games on my head

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

VR will never be accepted until they can make it so you don't look like a complete goober wearing one of those headsets.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Imo it's a lot of effort to go to for a video game. I don't think vr is ever going to have big uptake and it's not because you look silly.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

JBP posted:

Wo Long seems really cool from the demo despite potentially being a little bit too familiar. Seems like they've toned down loot which will probably satisfy a lot of people after Nioh's dumptrucks full of swords.

Seemed about the same as Nioh to me but less than SoP vomiting loot at you constantly lol

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah there’s still way too much loot. It’s been a while since I played Nioh 2 but it doesn’t feel much better.

Still day one purchase though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pingiivi posted:

VR chat the comic:

the fatal flaw is that there are about 2 good games for vr

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

lol wasn't Oculus the one that literally raised the price of their hardware by $100 ?

And then nintendo release a switch with a pokemon painted on it for 50 dollars more

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

lol

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the fatal flaw is that there are about 2 good games for vr

Hey, that’s two more than the ps5 has

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008