Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
https://twitter.com/Partisangirl/status/1570773448674406401

Lots of idiotic 9/11 comparisons in the comments, but Jesus H at least it ain't another chemical warehouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

“35 tons of fuel” in an office building for a telecom company lmao

What are these? Huawei routers that run on fuel oil? These people are even dumber than they look

e: this was clearly some of that ridiculously flammable made-in-China building cladding that burns like the fires of hell itself (wasn’t there a similar fire in Dubai or some place a while back?) but doesn’t seem to easily roast the building itself unless it’s a poorly constructed British apartment building.

I can’t find them offhand but there’s some shots after the fire was put out and literally just that one face of the building was charred, the other three sides of the exterior weren’t even scorched.

Porfiriato fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Sep 17, 2022

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Don't backup generators run on diesel?

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

ili posted:

yes but they are in litres, not tonnes

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ili posted:

35000 litres worth, give or take.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Zakrello posted:

Is this an "American learning about the metric system" post?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
That does not sound like an unreasonable amount of fuel to me.

Zakrello posted:

Volume of fuel changes with temperature, so weight is actually the most accurate way to measure it.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Xakura posted:

That does not sound like an unreasonable amount of fuel to me.

Volume of fuel changes with temperature, so weight is actually the most accurate way to measure it.

Looks like it's changing a lot atm.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Criss-cross posted:

Is this an "American learning about the metric system" post?

1 litre diesel = 0.83 kg diesel.

1 litre of water was originally equal to 1 kilogram, but that hasn't been true for 223 years. (Though it is close enough for most purposes).

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

WarpedNaba posted:

Lots of idiotic 9/11 comparisons in the comments, but Jesus H at least it ain't another chemical warehouse.
That account posts some very wacky poo poo and iirc was hugely pro-Assad / Russia when I still had twitter.

Of course it has a blue check now lol. Just sell the site to Elon already so it can die.

Criss-cross
Jun 14, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Xakura posted:

1 litre diesel = 0.83 kg diesel.

1 litre of water was originally equal to 1 kilogram, but that hasn't been true for 223 years. (Though it is close enough for most purposes).

It's close enough as an approximation for this purpose as well, which is a Twitter post about a burning building using a nice round number.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I believe there was aluminum cladding on a building in Australia that went boom.

also peter zeihan talks about china https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKQQdjtcr2c

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Shumagorath posted:

That account posts some very wacky poo poo and iirc was hugely pro-Assad / Russia when I still had twitter.

Of course it has a blue check now lol. Just sell the site to Elon already so it can die.

she was the point person on the syrian propaganda effort to argue that the ghouta sarin attacks were actually done by rebels who, she alleged, had somehow managed to manufacture sarin and the shells to disperse it and then used it on thousands of themselves

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What's her SA account name?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
CSPAM mod

I also liked her implication that 9/11 was an inside job or fake or whatever ?? because this building hadn't collapsed

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Strategic Tea posted:

What's her SA account name?

ironically her extremely public feud with brown moses did drive a bunch of people to this site

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah she sucks lol

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shumagorath posted:

Syrian Girl is completely insane and you shouldn't take anything she posts seriously.

That building fire was real but who knows about the fuel thing.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

help help, my brain has broken so much i have started enjoying putting baijiu into cocktails

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedNaba posted:

She’s also an Assad rear end goblin.

Edit: should read all the thread first lol

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Marshal Prolapse posted:

She’s also an Assad rear end goblin.

we stan for our assadess goddess

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Jeoh posted:

help help, my brain has broken so much i have started enjoying putting baijiu into cocktails

Filth

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GoutPatrol posted:

we stan for our assadess goddess

No, we don't.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
Maotai is actually good but just costs about 10x what it should since it’s the currency of corruption like some sort of modern day stones of Yap.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Ups_rail posted:

also peter zeihan talks about china
Water is wet?

Maybe it's just me, but it's not really a good look that this guy is way out on a beautiful hike and he's just plotting how to never shut the gently caress about China for five seconds.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

PITY BONER posted:

Maybe it's just me, but it's not really a good look that this guy is way out on a beautiful hike and he's just plotting how to never shut the gently caress about China for five seconds.

I see you've met about half of my coworkers.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Ups_rail posted:

also peter zeihan talks about china

PITY BONER posted:

Water is wet?

A few pages ago in this thread Zeihan's very obvious weaknesses were discussed.
I thought that discussion concluded with the broader agreement that (as Zeihan very obviously demonstrates in this video) Zeihan is very literally phoning it in.
Given that understanding, I'm unclear why in the word war threeeead, ups_rail is raising Zeihan's "End of Globalization" stuff.

I just wanna try and re-nudge the suggestion that Zeihan's rhetoric, while enticing, doesn't hold up to even the most basic scrutiny.
A cursory reflection on some (I feel obvious) problems with Zeihan's MO/positions ought suffice to help rid some of Zaihan's :brainworms:

Zeihan's recent MO looks like a click-bait/cult type model.
It's marginally better dressed but the MO is fundamentally the same.
Assertions of vague but indisputable facts resting on (currently) unfalsifiable assumptions.

Two obvious ones: The End of China because of *reasons*, and the end of Globalization because of *reasons*.

Zeihan cherry picks one dynamic amongst several to be his version that is guaranteed to succeed. He does this to isolate and escalate his moving target of a conclusion.
In doing, so he abandons any pretension of nuance and potential for a range of outcomes. Typically he falls back on the old "the numbers don't lie" bullshit.

Case in point of an obvious nuance he dismisses in favor of a static outcome he prefers to guarantee.
China absolutely could quite simply in a single document adjust their immigration policy to correct their demographics!
Big problem, simple solution.
Zehian either a) has a massive blind spot and he is outrageously loving dumb, or b) he is willfully being intellectually dishonest and is therefore deliberately polluting discourse in doing so.

Sidebar: in his click bait/cult approach he has missed the mark a few times.
Specifically in this case he picked a fixed fact.
By specifying that not only the CCP but the very notion of China will collapse, and in a particular bout of confidence he dropped the ball of "be vague to keep the audience hungry" and he actually specified "this decade".
Good quality :discourse: click-bait/cults use vagueness in order to stoke the fire of interest that is required to sustain itself.
My guess is that given the popularity of this specific rhetoric, he wanted to go big to stand out. Unfortunately a bunch of channels went all-in and named a specific number of days.

Case in point #2 - The end of globalization
If Zeihan is right and globalization has already ended because of the vomit he is yapping on about like it is the end of time, how come all the global supply chains are shifting?
All of the flagship & poster children of globalized supply chains are in the process of adjusting to address their now very visible weaknesses.
It seems entirely unusual to think that even a single one of the several trillion dollar supply chains would not adjust.

Both India and Vietnam are without question able to assist in making several supply chains very more more robust and resilient.

In regards to globalization. the singular point that surprises me most about Zeihan's position is that he suggests the US military is basically defeated and will return to base post-haste and live off the land.
I think he is conflating his retirement plans with geo-political strategy. Its an easy mistake to make.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
china liquor rankings:
1. good huangjiu
2. snake wine (quote-unquote) that comes in that little green bottle
3. maotai
X. baijiu

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo's hosed in the Good China again it seems

https://twitter.com/ChaudharyParvez/status/1571400090891452418?t=Pvc_u_lPkPwQhCY5nNKISg&s=19

I think this is at least a second time since I've been there like 4 years ago :(

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

url posted:

Case in point #2 - The end of globalization
If Zeihan is right and globalization has already ended because of the vomit he is yapping on about like it is the end of time, how come all the global supply chains are shifting?
All of the flagship & poster children of globalized supply chains are in the process of adjusting to address their now very visible weaknesses.
It seems entirely unusual to think that even a single one of the several trillion dollar supply chains would not adjust.

Both India and Vietnam are without question able to assist in making several supply chains very more more robust and resilient.

In regards to globalization. the singular point that surprises me most about Zeihan's position is that he suggests the US military is basically defeated and will return to base post-haste and live off the land.
I think he is conflating his retirement plans with geo-political strategy. Its an easy mistake to make.

I don't know the specifics of the argument he's making but in economic terms, we do appear to be coming to the end of what is known as "the third wave" of globalization. This is the idea that there were two distinct periods in which global trade increased sharply, one from roughly 1870-WWI, the second from the end of WWII-1971, and the third from the mid-80s/early 90s until arguably 2020. The argument is not that we're seeing less trade than before but that the period of year-on-year increases has stopped. This is a problem for China inasmuch as their political legitimacy relies on economic growth and their economic growth has come from increasing trade; they haven't managed to turn domestic consumption into the same kind of growth engine, they can't compete in the types of high-end manufactures that are likely to see continued growth in a static trade regime, and they don't have the human capital to compete in FDI to produce growth (and where that human capital did exist in hong kong, their antidemocratic crackdown has wrecked it.)

For obvious reasons, supply chains deemphasizing China will also not benefit China, unless they can move up the value chain, which they've shown no ability to do.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

hypnophant posted:

I don't know the specifics of the argument he's making but in economic terms, we do appear to be coming to the end of what is known as "the third wave" of globalization. This is the idea that there were two distinct periods in which global trade increased sharply, one from roughly 1870-WWI, the second from the end of WWII-1971, and the third from the mid-80s/early 90s until arguably 2020. The argument is not that we're seeing less trade than before but that the period of year-on-year increases has stopped. This is a problem for China inasmuch as their political legitimacy relies on economic growth and their economic growth has come from increasing trade; they haven't managed to turn domestic consumption into the same kind of growth engine, they can't compete in the types of high-end manufactures that are likely to see continued growth in a static trade regime, and they don't have the human capital to compete in FDI to produce growth (and where that human capital did exist in hong kong, their antidemocratic crackdown has wrecked it.)

For obvious reasons, supply chains deemphasizing China will also not benefit China, unless they can move up the value chain, which they've shown no ability to do.

I'm with you, and I do appreciate that China will have to adjust in a significant fashion. My (likely naive) hope is they do it with one eye on their less salubrious history.
They do have a lot on their plate right now and obviously that is significantly less important than providing the emperor with his new outfit.
I am quite sure they are acutely aware of their legitimacy and credibility issue. My worry is that a decision to abandon the need for legitimacy is always on the table. cf: HK.

My concern in the post above was to lazily draw attention to Zeihan's MO. I have no ill will to the guy, its just his recent stuff is hard to stomach because its very poor fare.
You've explained more and with greater clarity in your single post than Zeihan has in months.

Given the timescale involved in shifting supply chains, I think the primary concern for China, as you've rightly suggested, is in solving their very significant domestic confidence issue.
That said, and to re-iterate, even if trade balkanizes to a degree more than we are accustomed to, I don't think we are in a position to see an outright end to the global shipping trade as Zeihan and sky-is-falling types are predicting.

I'd like to drill into how bad the FDI flight actually is.
I am seeing bizarre conflicting reports that it is down 30% and Blackrock are upset on one hand and Starbucks committing to undertake a massive expansion on the other.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
starbucks specifically is doing massive expansion cuz luckin ate poo poo in us equity markets and the sec stomped on it. big opportunity specific to coffee

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

bob dobbs is dead posted:

starbucks specifically is doing massive expansion cuz luckin ate poo poo in us equity markets and the sec stomped on it. big opportunity specific to coffee

just to lighten the tone in the "fun China thread", I have been taking no small degree of smug-satisfaction in reading how a large swathe of firms are going to have to desist,
The particularly savory moresl in that is that even after de-listing they are still going to have to produce the books and face penalties retroactively.

Obviously they won't wear any penalties, but its is potentially a huge blow to FDI for an extended period of time.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nah, prolly their bigger problem is they got into real estate like every other idiot fucker

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

url posted:

I'm with you, and I do appreciate that China will have to adjust in a significant fashion. My (likely naive) hope is they do it with one eye on their less salubrious history.
They do have a lot on their plate right now and obviously that is significantly less important than providing the emperor with his new outfit.
I am quite sure they are acutely aware of their legitimacy and credibility issue. My worry is that a decision to abandon the need for legitimacy is always on the table. cf: HK.

My concern in the post above was to lazily draw attention to Zeihan's MO. I have no ill will to the guy, its just his recent stuff is hard to stomach because its very poor fare.
You've explained more and with greater clarity in your single post than Zeihan has in months.

Given the timescale involved in shifting supply chains, I think the primary concern for China, as you've rightly suggested, is in solving their very significant domestic confidence issue.
That said, and to re-iterate, even if trade balkanizes to a degree more than we are accustomed to, I don't think we are in a position to see an outright end to the global shipping trade as Zeihan and sky-is-falling types are predicting.

I'd like to drill into how bad the FDI flight actually is.
I am seeing bizarre conflicting reports that it is down 30% and Blackrock are upset on one hand and Starbucks committing to undertake a massive expansion on the other.

Sure. Not to defend Zeihan overmuch but in the context of who his clientele is, and what they pay him for - political/geopolitical risk analysis - I think his advice (if you haven't already got your capital out, start preparing to write it off) is probably quite good. He isn't necessarily trying to predict macroeconomic trends.

China's FDI liabilities continue to be fascinating to me. Doubly so because their FDI assets - BRI basically - seem to be such questionable investments. They're in a very strange position in terms of current account flows and investment flows, and I have to wonder what is the desired effect of their international credit and debt policies. It seems like there must be some economic rationale there in addition to the political rationale, but it's really hard to see what it is, from the West.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

hypnophant posted:

Sure. Not to defend Zeihan overmuch but in the context of who his clientele is, and what they pay him for - political/geopolitical risk analysis - I think his advice (if you haven't already got your capital out, start preparing to write it off) is probably quite good.

Entirely fair point,

hypnophant posted:

He isn't necessarily trying to predict macroeconomic trends.
I'm gonna politely disagree.
I don't think we need to do a multi-page derail on it though.

hypnophant posted:

China's FDI liabilities continue to be fascinating to me. Doubly so because their FDI assets - BRI basically - seem to be such questionable investments. They're in a very strange position in terms of current account flows and investment flows, and I have to wonder what is the desired effect of their international credit and debt policies. It seems like there must be some economic rationale there in addition to the political rationale, but it's really hard to see what it is, from the West.

Fascinating is the best descriptor for their FDI I can think of.
I'll admit to be wholly gobsmacked and in awe at the ambitiousness of it when OBOR was announced (terrible branding aside).
The scope and breath of the strategic concept remains impressive.

In a similar fashion to the HSR projects, I'm not sure the economic rationale was ever really sane beyond basic Keynesian being taken to an extreme never before seen.
The only calculus I can see is that the inevitable debt-traps must have been factored to ensure a veneer of deniability but ensure some version of a win-win.

There's a boat load of problems in that calculus, but I can't see that there is an alternative. I'm happy to learn if there was though.

E:

also this is on topic

url fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 18, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

url posted:

In a similar fashion to the HSR projects, I'm not sure the economic rationale was ever really sane beyond basic Keynesian being taken to an extreme never before seen.
The only calculus I can see is that the inevitable debt-traps must have been factored to ensure a veneer of deniability but ensure some version of a win-win.

There's a boat load of problems in that calculus, but I can't see that there is an alternative. I'm happy to learn if there was though.

Yeah this is the really really consequential question. Do their investments in e.g. Sri Lanka "work" as this type of investment? I think if you envision a central or central-peer role for China in the region and the future world order they might, and if you think China will at most play second fiddle to the dollar system they simply don't. I just don't think China has the juice to make the kind of borderline investments they've been making pay off, either by making it somehow profitable or by coercing repayment, in part because the potential cost of coercion is so high. I honestly think events this year have removed a great deal of uncertainty around this question. We're seeing the poverty of the RMB-Rouble as an alternative ecosystem to the eurodollar and I don't know what countries would willingly commit themselves to that environment.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

url posted:

Zeihan's recent MO looks like a click-bait/cult type model.
I'm not a Zeihan fan because I see him as what he is: a dime-a-dozen political commentator. His entire revenue is linked to him making predictions and guesses about China or x-political thing. He's basically doing the political version of spaghetti-chart technical analysis reports by stock market gurus. His books, hundreds of videos and blog posts, interviews, and so on, are just ways to pay the bills. He made a few correct predictions, but so what. Since the 2008 Olympics there have been thousands of China prediction books that have all fallen forgotten and will probably never be read by anyone ever again. Zeihan has capitalized on staying relevant where thousands have fallen into obscurity. My prediction on him is that he'll either milk his current position it for all it's worth until it's no longer profitable or he develops some mental illness based around China and goes even more hardcore into it and loses his followers.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I was lucky to have never tried Luckin. I don't even remember seeing one of their shops anywhere during the height of their expansion. However, 85 Degrees was the poo poo, and their seasonal uber-sweet coffee flavors were sometimes very hit rather than miss (versus their baked goods, which could be very miss). Maybe I'm just biased because one of my apartments had an 85 Degrees on the ground floor, and I had the chance to try their entire menu of drinks and most of the baked goods for that year.

Mozi posted:

china liquor rankings:
1. good huangjiu
2. snake wine (quote-unquote) that comes in that little green bottle
3. maotai
X. baijiu
Non-liquor rankings:
1. Those juice + seltzer + alcohol cans at 8% and up. 10 RMB a piece and didn't taste like rear end.
2. Snow.
3. Snow.
4. Snow.
5. LMAO Snow.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/tpyxanews/status/1571604245543292928?s=46&t=A_eyzE9-vH_gS2n2R0__ZQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

lol ok