Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

Sorry but I'm a gigachad and I only use gigabyte.

This but unironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Evga Motherboards accounting for less than 2% of sales amazed me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

staberind posted:

Evga Motherboards accounting for less than 2% of sales amazed me.

They only sell super expensive vanity overclocking boards. It's not too surprising.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's wild to me that i guess the plan is to transition into a PSU company? their stuff isn't bad at all but i don't think it has the same brand recognition as say your seasonic or something in the PSU space, imo they get by on the GPU brand recognition.

if they're not in disastrous financial straits (my guess) then i would have guessed this a stunt.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I am so intoxicated on a marjiuna plant! Now I will go to my tub and hit F and then and then

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Plan R posted:

I am so intoxicated on a marjiuna plant! Now I will go to my tub and hit F and then and then

wut?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Babby's first bong hits.

I'm halfway through a joint and my thoughts aren't nearly as disjointed, but weed and I have a long history.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
on the crunkchain

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

CoolCab posted:

incorrect, again. it drives me up the wall to be honest - GPUs making it past their warranty period going to a decade or more of routine service is far from unheard of, despite the fact people routinely replace them within 3-5 years? with the exception of the listed SKUs these devices have been running well well within their thermal limit and are much more likely to be properly maintained and thermally managed than the overwhelming majority of OEM cards. again, you ask people who refurb GPUs and they can tell you exactly this. frankly even back in the bad mining days there were people who quite happily bought those overstressed components and got years of use out of them. other than the moving and expiring parts GPUs are really quite resilient as most consumer electronics are.

fans are going to die, thermal paste might die as they're supposed to. otherwise you have almost exactly the same failure chances as a new card just with no warranty and as such should expect a deep discount. people rightly complain about the ecological impact of mining and then go on about how urgent it is we throw away thousands of tons of perfectly good electronics for no reason. horribly wasteful and very silly.

I'm tempted to buy a second hand GPU maybe this winter or next year. And I know that miners run cards on the back end of the power curve.

But still, cumulatively, we are talking about fans that might have worn out bearings and might need replacing, thermal pads that need replacing and ate a bitch to work with (according to internet wisdom), some cards were the VRAM might have run far hottet than the rest of the card, and so forth.

I have built and fixed many computers, but that's still a lot of headaches. I'd really need a very good deal to make it worth the potential trouble.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm tempted to buy a second hand GPU maybe this winter or next year. And I know that miners run cards on the back end of the power curve.

But still, cumulatively, we are talking about fans that might have worn out bearings and might need replacing, thermal pads that need replacing and ate a bitch to work with (according to internet wisdom), some cards were the VRAM might have run far hottet than the rest of the card, and so forth.

I have built and fixed many computers, but that's still a lot of headaches. I'd really need a very good deal to make it worth the potential trouble.

see the video i posted above. there is one old AMD card to totally avoid that's not relevant, but in terms of the 30 series:

the 3090 had memory on the back of the PCB. no cooling at all. terrible, terrible design choice, means that you get those localized hotspots. you can do better if you have one of the models with a metallic backplate and added a pad to it but if you're buying from a miner they needed to do that in advance. i think they designed around this on later 3090s and the 3090ti but i'm not sure. on top i believe all memory variants of the 3080, 3080ti, 3090 and 3090ti all used a particular high performance ram that runs very hot and people have thus far theoretical but genuine concern about longevity there. personally i don't think the risk is all that great but it's worth mentioning.

otherwise? for the fans first there's a lot of variance in when they die so it might not happen right away, and if you don't care about aesthetics most people straight up just pull off the stupid plastic shroud and the existing fans stick two cheap 120mm casefans on there with zipties and it literally will outperform the stock cooling solution, often significantly. or buy the fans from the manufacturer and do a like for like replacement, or i think there are still aftermarket coolers you could use. thermal pads don't wear out but you might damage them when getting in there to repaste or whatever. with that said there's also a lot of variation on how easy it is to get into various GPUs and how user serviceable they actually are, so i'd usually recommend people go look up a teardown or whatever for their specific card but it's usually like >10 screws.

personally if 3080s go down to the say 150-200 pound range i'd be tempted to bite and sell my 3070. but that would be after a LOT of dropping.

CoolCab fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 17, 2022

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

LifeSunDeath posted:

The new GPU prices aren't even bad anymore. Like I can get a straight upgrade from my GTX1080 to a 3060ti for 400 bucks. While it's still over list price, that's cheaper than what the 1080 cost me in the before bitcoin days.

I paid more for my 3060 than I did for my entire PC 5 years ago so I am genuinely enjoying bitcoiners get hosed over by this.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I managed to time my GPU purchases from 2018 to now in a way that I missed the worst price inflation from the miners, but still appreciate seeing coiners taking losses.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They only sell super expensive vanity overclocking boards. It's not too surprising.

Kingpin GPUs!

YOU CRYPTO ASSHOLES!

YOU’LL PAY FOR THIS!!!

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I managed to time my GPU purchases from 2018 to now in a way that I missed the worst price inflation from the miners, but still appreciate seeing coiners taking losses.

Thank loving goooood I bought a used 1070 in 2019. I replaced an aging 970 and was supposed to be a stop gap until 20 series cards started getting marked down a tad in 2020.

Loooool

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

EVGA were the heroes that let me sign up and buy a GPU eventually.

At the height of this bullshit when everything was like $3000 on eBay I got an email saying I could buy a 3080 TI directly from a EVGA for half the price.

Plugged that poo poo into our gigantic 4K TV and we did some goddamn gaming and it was amazing.

Seriously, gently caress crypto.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I bought a pre-built gaming PC in 2021 because it included a 3070 at very near MSRP, the entire thing cost me slightly more than just a cheap 3070 would have :allears:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CTloP-B61A

i follow an "exploring crypto" podcast put together by two canadian investment managers who have a knack for getting good guests. they try to maintain a neutral perspective, but roughly 3/4s of their guests end up essentially saying "in my field of expertise crytpo makes absolutely no sense, but maybe there's some benefit in other areas i know nothing about"; 1/8 say "crypto is loving dogshit in every way"; and the last 1/8 say "crypto must be good or else why would i be shilling for it?"

the guest in the linked episode had a very nice critique from more of a sociology/political science perspective that really focused on how much power the coders/miners/exchanges have, and how even if you put all of the glaring technological and practicality problems aside there are fundamental flaws inherent in the very concept that prevent crypto from living up to what it gets advertised as by libertarians. not necessarily any new information for anyone in this thread, but i liked the way it was laid out

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is there anywhere i can learn how etheriums pow is/was different than bitcoin and why gpu s were the back bone

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ups_rail posted:

is there anywhere i can learn how etheriums pow is/was different than bitcoin and why gpu s were the back bone

i don't have any handy links, but iirc the gist of it is that bitcoin used to be mined with gpus but then people developed dedicated asics that were better. the ethereum developers meanwhile saw that as a bad thing since it limited mining to those who had special hardware. so they actively coded ethereum so it can't be mined with asics somehow (or it would be slow or whatever).

the flaw in this logic is that it turned gpus into "special hardware" that were expensive and hard to get anyway

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i don't have any handy links, but iirc the gist of it is that bitcoin used to be mined with gpus but then people developed dedicated asics that were better. the ethereum developers meanwhile saw that as a bad thing since it limited mining to those who had special hardware. so they actively coded ethereum so it can't be mined with asics somehow (or it would be slow or whatever).

the flaw in this logic is that it turned gpus into "special hardware" that were expensive and hard to get anyway

yeah I understand that bitcoin is basically look for prime factors, numbers that are hard to find but very easy to check.

I wondered how etherium made it so rather than do that make the math even more hard, yet GPU and what ever ASIC could be made were just kept to the creators.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Ups_rail posted:

yeah I understand that bitcoin is basically look for prime factors, numbers that are hard to find but very easy to check.

I wondered how etherium made it so rather than do that make the math even more hard, yet GPU and what ever ASIC could be made were just kept to the creators.

bitcoin mining involves calculating a hash function, which can be done very simply with a dedicated logic circuit. I don’t exactly know how etherium mining works, but it needs to store a lot of data in RAM and do calculations on it. GPUs are basically purpose built to do just that, so it makes less sense to design more specialized ASICs for it

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

deep dish peat moss posted:

I bought a pre-built gaming PC in 2021 because it included a 3070 at very near MSRP, the entire thing cost me slightly more than just a cheap 3070 would have :allears:
Same but a 3060. I ended up having to basically rebuild the PC to make the wiring layout not stupid but still well worth it.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I picked up a 2070 Super in 2020 that carried me through to this year, when I upgraded it to a 3080 12GB. I paid $500 for the 2070 Super, and $750 for the 3080 12GB. Before that I got a 1060 6GB for $250 right before a mining rush - within a month I was seeing the same card going for $350 or more. It's been nice being able to coast along and watch generation launches from the sidelines, picking up a better card later in each generation for lower cost.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Ups_rail posted:

Primarily, the bit of maths they based the POW on took a ton of memory, which GPUs have and would make an ASIC prohibitively expensive.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

deep dish peat moss posted:

During the height of GPU mania there were people buying pre builds just to get the 3000 series and then flip the other components

I just lurked discord / telegram until I got lucky on a big drop from Scan

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Party Boat posted:

I just lurked discord / telegram until I got lucky on a big drop from Scan

same. i made it out pretty well from this boom, i could resell my old components for at least as much as i paid for them and i got very lucky on the timing when i bought a secondhand 1080 (right after the 3070 was announced) and as such when i finally managed to luck into a discord drop i could resell the 1080 and make some of the cost back.

i kind of don't completely believe that GPU mining is dead though. i know, i know there are extremely compelling reasons to assume this but we are on GPU boom 3 i think? i am not optimistic enough to think we are clear of this poo poo just yet.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

I managed to get a 3080 at RRP on launch day by F5-ing five different stores the minutes after the stock was put on sale. After twenty minutes they were all sold out. I have felt very lucky ever since.

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005
I'm constantly 5 or more years behind everybody on games so I've been mostly unaffected by coiners. 1070 doing some real work.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
lovely reddit people:

OMG Joe Biden regulating crypto!

https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/xglatr/joe_biden_just_sent_a_stark_warning_to_bitcoin/

of course all the comments are "crypto so strong" and standard freeper undertones. Denial continues as we trend towards the real bottom of the market and hopefully 0.

edit: bonus, el Salvador dictator going to run again despite fuckin his country raw.
https://decrypt.co/109911/el-salvadors-bitcoin-loving-president-bukele-to-run-for-re-election

article posted:

Against this backdrop, on Thursday, global markets credit analysis site Fitch downgraded El Salvador’s debt rating to CC from CCC. Explaining the downgrade, Fitch cited “tight fiscal and external liquidity positions and extremely constrained market access amid high fiscal financing needs” in El Salvador.

The Central American country must finance $3.7 billion between September 2022 and January 2023, as well as pointing out an identified gap of $900 million.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 17, 2022

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
How's VolcanoCoin looking?

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Hey, anyone could just spin up their own graphics card. I mean how hard could it be? Why hasn't anyone else done this, we could be the first!

-crypto logic

Alright, I guess I'll be up for it. I'm sure there's like an online guide to making a cheap one.

Edit: Alright! Already hit a roadblock. Can anyone tell me what vec3 means? Is that like web3? Is that were I put my dogecoin?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Seven Force posted:

Alright, I guess I'll be up for it. I'm sure there's like an online guide to making a cheap one.

Edit: Alright! Already hit a roadblock. Can anyone tell me what vec3 means? Is that like web3? Is that were I put my dogecoin?

vec3 requires a dynamic amount of dogecoins equal to the amount of dogecoins you own plus one. So you can disable vec3 by selling a dogecoin that you do not own

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Seven Force posted:

do u know what SMD means

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
super mario doctor? is that on switch now?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mozi posted:

super mario doctor? is that on switch now?

He's not even a real doctor. Fake news

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Shin Megami Densei

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

buglord posted:

Windows becoming what it is pushed me over to Linux on Pop!_OS and it’s easy enough to play all my usual games for even a dork like me.

Strongly considering the HoloISO build of SteamOS 3 for the same reason.

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

MrQwerty posted:

do u know what SMD means

Sega mega drive? Those were so cool back then

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
How much did el presidente spend on butts anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Apparently Bukele is very popular so I guess he might as well keep running