Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They had an episode where they had to clean out the accumulated 'organic material' from the Cerritos' holodeck filters and there was buckets and buckets of it

I consider it a bigger plot hole that Captain Freeman was surprised that holodecks needed organic material filters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I’m under the impression that it is relatively new tech. Or at least shipboard versions.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I’m under the impression that it is relatively new tech. Or at least shipboard versions.

Yeah but Riker did a lot of beta testing, so to speak. Nothing should have been a surprise.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

As of Lower Decks it's been in shipboard use for over fifteen years, assuming the Enterprise-D was the first ship to have it. So it might be relatively new, but given how many crew it's eaten, you'd think everyone would know!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The high-quality fully-immersive holodeck was new in TNG, although it's been implied there were kinda crappier versions before, and it seems like the ability to have turing-passing seemly-intelligent humanoid characters didn't exist before the upgrades in 11001001. It's advanced ridiculously fast and there's a lot of generations of the technology, though, so different installations probably have different requirements. Voyager's fancy new ones without the yellow squares probably handles it all automatically or something.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

does anyone make anything else these days?

I have a bunch of cool t-shirts from Uniqlo that are super nice cotton

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What was the name of the black-haired female ensign who was getting a back massage (while secretly working)? I could have sworn Freeman called her "Mariner", but it must have been something similar-sounding.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

These stickers have been very popular:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Payndz posted:

What was the name of the black-haired female ensign who was getting a back massage (while secretly working)? I could have sworn Freeman called her "Mariner", but it must have been something similar-sounding.

Captions say Meredith.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Powered Descent posted:

If we're being generous, we could say the unseen Feds outside had an enormous machine gun, let's say an M2 Browning, and so what we see are .50 BMG bullets in flight, just drawn with a slightly inaccurate shape. (At least they'd be about the right size.)

who the gently caress has ever seen a bullet in real life other than americans?
To me that's what bullets look like. And it fits the holodeck would do it like that, since it's likely how it'd look in a film too

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They could have been rocket propelled slugs.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Taear posted:

who the gently caress has ever seen a bullet in real life other than americans?
To me that's what bullets look like. And it fits the holodeck would do it like that, since it's likely how it'd look in a film too

Don't most European nations have compulsory military/civil service? Lots of people have seen real bullets, and they don't have to live in a festering warzone to have done so.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Holodeck programmers just got lazy and used the same model for bullets in flight as bullets you'd pick up and hold. Nobody's going to notice.

This is a super common Hollywood and video game goof as well. They'll use inert shells with obviously dimpled primers from being used in real guns all the time. Future space guns eject shells that clearly say NATO 5.56 on the back. It's a goof.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 17, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah but it's funnier to say it's because the holodeck programmers didn't know bullets got ejected from their casing.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Eimi posted:

Yeah but it's funnier to say it's because the holodeck programmers didn't know bullets got ejected from their casing.

It's certainly a goof but it still feels like a comment on unrealistic special effects.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A.o.D. posted:

Don't most European nations have compulsory military/civil service? Lots of people have seen real bullets, and they don't have to live in a festering warzone to have done so.

No, they don't.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

The high-quality fully-immersive holodeck was new in TNG, although it's been implied there were kinda crappier versions before...

Not only implied, one episode of TAS takes place in the holodeck aboard the original Kirk's Enterprise.

And we are also shown in ENT that those weird daterape aliens had that technology aced already by then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Der Kyhe posted:

Not only implied, one episode of TAS takes place in the holodeck aboard the original Kirk's Enterprise.

Well yeah, but TAS so like probably happened unless it's inconvenient.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So did we see the inside of the deflector dish for the first time?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think so, yeah.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

The high-quality fully-immersive holodeck was new in TNG, although it's been implied there were kinda crappier versions before, and it seems like the ability to have turing-passing seemly-intelligent humanoid characters didn't exist before the upgrades in 11001001. It's advanced ridiculously fast and there's a lot of generations of the technology, though, so different installations probably have different requirements. Voyager's fancy new ones without the yellow squares probably handles it all automatically or something.

Take the Doctor getting back and meeting the EMH Mark 2, and he didn't recognize the medical tools that where there.
With new planets being discovered, new tech and knowledge must ripple throughout the galaxy constantly.

Then again Lower Decks is a parody of actual ST.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

happyhippy posted:

Then again Lower Decks is a parody of actual ST.
Just like Picard. Heyooooo! :haw:

I know that LD is fully canon within the franchise (and has done its damndest to pull TAS back in as a result), but one way I thought of to look at it is that it's an in-universe comedy, a popular holoseries of the late 24th century.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Payndz posted:

I know that LD is fully canon within the franchise (and has done its damndest to pull TAS back in as a result), but one way I thought of to look at it is that it's an in-universe comedy, a popular holoseries of the late 24th century.

Just like how Enterprise is a holoseries Riker was watching, which is why it was so weirdly horny

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I know it's a standard comedic trope, but I love how the director on the Dove immediately went for "recently possessed by ancient alien artifacts" as a diagnosis for Freeman. Because in-universe it's that common of a thing that happens to starship captains. So much of the comedy in LDS comes from just treating all the weird situations you see in the other series as routine occurrences.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I know it's a standard comedic trope, but I love how the director on the Dove immediately went for "recently possessed by ancient alien artifacts" as a diagnosis for Freeman. Because in-universe it's that common of a thing that happens to starship captains. So much of the comedy in LDS comes from just treating all the weird situations you see in the other series as routine occurrences.

I respect the fact that LDS takes Trek literally enough to insist that TOS and TAS is as canon as everything else.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

No no no, Lower Decks is a parody of Star Trek. Picard is a mockery of Star Trek. Huge difference :eng101:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Picard is secular blasphemy.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Picard is sheer loving hubris

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Shut the gently caress up.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Shut the gently caress up.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

No, they don't.

I had to check, and you're right, but hopefully you'll forgive me the mistake as the current state of things is a relatively recent development.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Aces High posted:

it was probably just an animation oversight but we're all big nerds in here so I'm gonna have fun with this:

when they were in the holodeck the bullets that were being fired were represented as complete, as in were still in their casings (even the primers are still intact), which isn't how they work. However, in line with Mariner and Boimler's whole "lol, remember money guys? Boy was that a stupid concept" exchange I almost get the feeling that since the holodeck technology is so new and because Starfleet hasn't used small form ballistic weapons in 100+ years the computer doesn't actually know how firearms work.

Oh sure, there are probably a whole bunch of antique collectors and reenactors based throughout the Federation, but they, much like experts today, probably have super detailed holodeck programs that they continue debugging and cleaning up when the program doesn't meet their expectations. For most other holodeck users, they don't give a poo poo about that amount of verisimilitude because that's not why they chose that program and the engineers maybe didn't get too into those finer details when making the subroutines and stuff that the computer will go through to create a new program. Shax and T'Ana are doing this because it makes them horny, they don't actually care if the Tommy Guns rendered are actual 1928 models with the Cutts Compensator or if they're M1A1, and they sure don't care if the bullets still have their casings or not.

Like I said, probably just an animation oversight in the end

Designing a holodeck program would require a massive amount of time if you had to program in every single detail. Most things are taken care of by an AI similar to the ones we now use to generate art on the internet. That AI takes care of details. It knows about what a plant should look like and has a good concept of "chair" and the user can give the program a once over and make administrative changes on the fly when they notice an error. However, most images of 'bullet' that the computer finds are probably unfired bullets still in the shell.

So, since it's not actually firing bullets from guns using gunpowder or anything, the guns are essentiall just hollow/solid inside. There's no firing mechanism or anything and it just simulates a bullet at the muzzle with speed X travelling in direction Y, the same way you actually fire bullets out of your eyes in video games or your gun hand is superimposed on the screen so it doesn't constantly clip through walls.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

It knows about what a plant should look like and has a good concept of "chair"

...But when you ask for a table to go with your nice pair of chairs, it snaps into a sex dungeon. At least if you go to holodeck with Riker.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Der Kyhe posted:

...But when you ask for a table to go with your nice pair of chairs, it snaps into a sex dungeon. At least if you go to holodeck with Riker.

There's a bunch of people currently using AI image generators to make 'celebratory' versions of Hulks because of the She-Hulk TV series and quite often the results are turning out to be somewhat :nws:, I'm guessing because AI can't differentiate between official She-Hulk art and the huge amount of :nws: fanart of She-Hulk that already exists on DeviantArt and the Rule 34 site

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's a bunch of people currently using AI image generators to make 'celebratory' versions of Hulks because of the She-Hulk TV series and quite often the results are turning out to be somewhat :nws:, I'm guessing because AI can't differentiate between official She-Hulk art and the huge amount of :nws: fanart of She-Hulk that already exists on DeviantArt and the Rule 34 site

I assume that you meant "celebrity" but it's probably funnier if you didn't.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Man, I just re-watched the TNG "Lower Decks" episode and it's a lot more of a downer than I remembered. :(

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spanish Matlock posted:

I assume that you meant "celebrity" but it's probably funnier if you didn't.

It was a typo but if it still works then I'll take it :v:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Man, I just re-watched the TNG "Lower Decks" episode and it's a lot more of a downer than I remembered. :(

Picard and Riker are such dicks in this episode. Worf comes off as the only guy you would want to work for

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

skasion posted:

Picard and Riker are such dicks in this episode. Worf comes off as the only guy you would want to work for

That's reasonably common when we see things from outside the perspective of the command crew. See also how Riker and Troi talk to Picard in Tapestry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Senor Tron posted:

That's reasonably common when we see things from outside the perspective of the command crew. See also how Riker and Troi talk to Picard in Tapestry.
Now imagining Lt Picard complaining to his friends that "I'm probably going to be kicked out of Starfleet for calling Riker a piece of poo poo."