Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

drat, Sephiroth, Cloud was like 15 seconds behind you, how did you burn this entire town to the ground in that time frame?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

drat, Sephiroth, Cloud was like 15 seconds behind you, how did you burn this entire town to the ground in that time frame?

He's First Class

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

FrostyPox posted:

10% luck, 20% skill, 15% concentrated power of will, 5% pleasure, 50% pain.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I think Yu Yevon landed a bit differently since he was a victory lap boss while BFA was the real final challenge. Necron brings on a whole different challenge.

Necron hit me well but I first finished IX as a millennial in their 30s. So battling existential dread hit well enough. Especially since the character development across the cast is pretty much them understanding what it is to live. Also why Vivi is one of FFs best characters.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FrostyPox posted:

Farting Fantasy

Edit: this is in response to the information that they just wanted an alliterative name but I quoted the wrong person and I'm too lazy to fix it

This is actually not in response to this post, but an earlier comment you made about keeping track of the different Gilgameshes: They're not different.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

This is actually not in response to this post, but an earlier comment you made about keeping track of the different Gilgameshes: They're not different.

Actually that's true, isn't it?

Just checked off the Chocobo and Moogle boxes in one go :getin:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Oh gently caress me apparently I didn’t know about Catoblepas in FFV World 2 and now have permanently missed it. drat I’ve done a ‘get 100% blue magic as soon as possible’ run this time; was hoping to get all the summons as well. But I didn’t use a guide to summons, while I used the excellent steam guide to blue magic.

You can encounter Catoblepas again in the rift. All missable summons are possible encounters there, iirc.

FrostyPox posted:

Town unwisely built out of particle board.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Relax Or DIE posted:

if the thread wants a new argument to have i would be curious to hear where people think the FF games actually succeed at this because they do often try

Just some particular examples off the top of my head:

FF5 does this incredibly well, with its theme of generational succession tying into the job system. Each member of their party takes up their parent's responsibilities, trying out the skills and techniques of previous heroes before synthesizing the best parts of each of them into their own personal style. They ultimately confront and conquer the dangers that their antecedents were only able to lock away.

FF3 does something similar, with the game basically being fully about some orphan children exploring and coming to understand the wider world outside of their immediate experience. Besides physically exploring outside their home, this also involves meeting with and working alongside adults and other children, learning about the cruelty and unkindness in the world, and ultimately confronting the reality that someday they will die. It also does a similar thing to FF5 where they kids try out different adult "jobs," before finally journeying into a dream world where they fantasize the ultimate skillsets for themselves. (Of course, the job with the highest potential was the one they started as.)

FF6 has the heroes come to understand and respect each other by fighting alongside each other in opposition to the villains who colonize and exploit other people before vampirically draining their resources. In FF7, the heroes use materia sustainably as opposed the villains who suck irresponsibly slurp mako energy right out of the planet.

The series is frequently quite good about bringing mechanics and narrative in line!

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Schwarzwald posted:

You can encounter Catoblepas again in the rift. All missable summons are possible encounters there, iirc.

Catoblepas and Ramuh are there, and Drakenvale is still around to get Golem, but Shiva and Carbuncle are gone forever I'm pretty sure.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Just some particular examples off the top of my head:

FF5 does this incredibly well, with its theme of generational succession tying into the job system. Each member of their party takes up their parent's responsibilities, trying out the skills and techniques of previous heroes before synthesizing the best parts of each of them into their own personal style. They ultimately confront and conquer the dangers that their antecedents were only able to lock away.

FF3 does something similar, with the game basically being about the orphan children exploring and coming to understand the wider world outside of their immediate experience. Besides physically exploring outside their home, this also involves meeting with and working alongside adults and other children, learning about the cruelty and unkindness in the world, and ultimately confronting the reality that someday they will die. It also does a similar thing to FF5 where they kids try out different adult "jobs," before finally journeying into a dream world where they fantasize the ultimate skillsets for themselves. (Of course, the job with the highest potential was the one they started as.)

FF6 has the heroes come to understand and respect each other by fighting alongside each other in opposition to the villains who colonize and exploit other people before vampirically draining their resources. In FF7, the heroes use materia sustainably as opposed the villains who suck irresponsibly slurp mako energy right out of the planet.

The series is frequently quite good about bringing mechanics and narrative in line!

FF8 is the most.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cattail Prophet posted:

Catoblepas and Ramuh are there, and Drakenvale is still around to get Golem, but Shiva and Carbuncle are gone forever I'm pretty sure.

Oh, that's right. It's specifically the summons you get from random battles you get a second chance at.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Actually now that I think about it Cecil's transformation is even better than I thought. They give you the strongest Dark Knight sword that literally deletes the strongest enemy you've faced which is conveniently placed right before the mountain - and it still does absolutely nothing against Golbez

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Yu Yevon and Necron have the pretty big difference that Yu is mentioned to exist a bit before the final dungeon (late, yes, but it's there) while Necron (as an entity rather than a theme) comes out of nowhere to fight you. Zemus too, his existence is mentioned very late and he has no personality but you know of him before entering the final dungeon.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Procrastine posted:

Yu Yevon and Necron have the pretty big difference that Yu is mentioned to exist a bit before the final dungeon (late, yes, but it's there) while Necron (as an entity rather than a theme) comes out of nowhere to fight you. Zemus too, his existence is mentioned very late and he has no personality but you know of him before entering the final dungeon.

Interestingly enough both of them also share the detail they're both personifications of the themes of the game, Necron being death and Yu Yevon being that old reactionaries are parasites upon the world. That said Yu Yevon sorta exists much earlier in the form of the religion, they're ultimately indistinguishable in terms of goals.

Edit: God, thinking about it Yu Yevon is actually genius. An ancient, undying monster that in order to live has to feed upon the works of the newer generations, leaves indiscriminate death in order to keep his old ways, and imposes a cruel dogma to keep the masses content. For not having much presence he's 100% the fitting final boss for real life FFX.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 17, 2022

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MagusofStars posted:

The one I always thought was cool is Adult Rydia: When Rydia is out of your party in the underground, time passes differently, so she ages up in her looks but also gains a bunch of levels, new spells, and new summons because she was training and practicing her craft at the same time.

And yet, you can spend as much time there as you want, and never age. Like, it worked long enough to age Rydia, then stopped.

Barudak posted:

He's First Class

The hell you talking about? I mean your age, not your goddamn rank!

Though, for all I know, a SOLDIER's rank could be the same as his age... Mm-hmm. Guess that'd make you a one-year-old, huh? Live and learn!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Interestingly enough both of them also share the detail they're both personifications of the themes of the game, Necron being death and Yu Yevon being that old reactionaries are parasites upon the world. That said Yu Yevon sorta exists much earlier in the form of the religion, they're ultimately indistinguishable in terms of goals.

Edit: God, thinking about it Yu Yevon is actually genius. An ancient, undying monster that in order to live has to feed upon the works of the newer generations, leaves indiscriminate death in order to keep his old ways, and imposes a cruel dogma to keep the masses content. For not having much presence he's 100% the fitting final boss for real life FFX.

this is giving him too much credit. yu yevon isn't even sentient by the time the party encounters him, he and his perpetual summoning rituals are just more cogs in the stasis imposed by the church. he's more an embodiment of tradition than outright revanchism

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I thought yu yevon was a force of nature at that point. Maybe at one point he had some facilities over his summoning. The intention was there: summon dream zanarkand to keep it alive in memory at least. It's why he appears as a fiend-looking thing out to reattach to an aeon. No conscious or anything left other than summoning He was completely removed from the religion surrounding it. Yunalesca knew it from the get go and succumbed to nihilism. Sin even exists entirely to keep the summoning going.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Oxxidation posted:

this is giving him too much credit. yu yevon isn't even sentient by the time the party encounters him, he and his perpetual summoning rituals are just more cogs in the stasis imposed by the church. he's more an embodiment of tradition than outright revanchism

Mustached Demon posted:

I thought yu yevon was a force of nature at that point. Maybe at one point he had some facilities over his summoning. The intention was there: summon dream zanarkand to keep it alive in memory at least. It's why he appears as a fiend-looking thing out to reattach to an aeon. No conscious or anything left other than summoning He was completely removed from the religion surrounding it. Yunalesca knew it from the get go and succumbed to nihilism. Sin even exists entirely to keep the summoning going.

I mean, the fact that he's dead and unconcious and it's his followers keep following in his footsteps without actually giving him any concern just makes the allegory more fitting IMO.

Like, it's no secret that the whole Yevon thing is a metaphor for traditions and older generations imposing over the youth taken to the extreme where the dead are given more rights than the living.

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 17, 2022

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah, plus the fact that you have to go through a gauntlet of your own summons beforehand--literally purging yourself of the Fayth--leans pretty hard into Yu Yevon being a symbol of dogmatic traditionalism.

Though that he's literally a tick-like parasite is undoubtedly on-the-nose lol

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

And yet, you can spend as much time there as you want, and never age. Like, it worked long enough to age Rydia, then stopped.
In terms of the canon events, the party basically shows up, fights two battles, and leaves. By comparison, the party goes through like half a dozen dungeons and mainline events while Rydia is stuck there - Cecil's journey up the mountain, freeing Baron, Cave Magnes, Zot, etc. So it's not that it 'stopped', it's that she was there way the hell longer than the party was.

Obviously, you could argue that the party COULD sleep at the Inn over and over and the game doesn't take that into account, but *shrug*, that's basically the same as how every RPG ever ignores the party's general time-wasting - no different than how the plot ignores the time spent sleeping in Tents or running halfway across the world for sidequests or visiting cities for shopping trips or etc. Just strikes me as the normal break from reality that we all accept as genre convention because it generally makes for a better game rather than constantly needing to ration your time wasting.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I mean, the fact that he's dead and unconcious and it's his followers keep following in his footsteps without actually giving him any concern just makes the allegory more fitting IMO.

Like, it's no secret that the whole Yevon thing is a metaphor for traditions and older generations imposing over the youth taken to the extreme where the dead are given more rights than the living.

Yevon being a mindless summonbot really hammers in the tradition serves no purpose beyond the tradition yeah.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

That parade sequence was kind of annoying. Tried to encounter Yuffie in the forest but she didn't show up and I got bored and low on potions

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Weird, Yuffie is almost always the first encounter for me in that forest.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
My friend has been convincing me to try FF14, last time I played was the original beta. Any suggestions or tips for a total newbie?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mesadoram posted:

My friend has been convincing me to try FF14, last time I played was the original beta. Any suggestions or tips for a total newbie?

Yeah approach it knowing that it’s a story-based game first, second, and third. It’s an MMO like… 7th.

Also, when you do group content tell them you’re new and they’ll be extra helpful.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

The early game really is "Babby's First MMO" so it eases you into everything and usually explains things quite well.

Don't worry about doing every single side quest, the main scenario quest pretty much always gives you enough XP to keep moving through the chain. If there's a quest with a blue icon, that usually unlocks something cool like a new dungeon or the ability to dye gear or The Golden Saucer, so that's the exception to "don't worry about side quests"

EDIT: The Main Scenario Quest Icon is a starburst-y meteor symbol, whereas side quests are speech bubble icons

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Sep 17, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
re: yuffie, in every one of my playthroughs of that game she refused to show up until i ran through the tutorial in mt condor. i don't know if the percentage gets a boost based on some obscure completion requirement, but if she's proving elusive then maybe give it a try

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theres an ff14 newbies thread with good hints https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973448

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

jokes posted:

Yeah approach it knowing that it’s a story-based game first, second, and third. It’s an MMO like… 7th.

Also, when you do group content tell them you’re new and they’ll be extra helpful.

That is super comforting to know. Friendly communities makes the experience that much better.

FrostyPox posted:

The early game really is "Babby's First MMO" so it eases you into everything and usually explains things quite well.

Don't worry about doing every single side quest, the main scenario quest pretty much always gives you enough XP to keep moving through the chain. If there's a quest with a blue icon, that usually unlocks something cool like a new dungeon or the ability to dye gear or The Golden Saucer, so that's the exception to "don't worry about side quests"

EDIT: The Main Scenario Quest Icon is a starburst-y meteor symbol, whereas side quests are speech bubble icons

Thanks for the info, especially the main quest gives the most XP thing.

Thank ya, I will read it :unsmith:.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
From what I remember Yuffie’s appearance rate gets higher and higher the further in the game you get so there’s that too.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, outside of Junon you've only got a 1/8th chance of encountering her in the forests. Near Rocket Town it's basically 100%.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

From what I remember Yuffie’s appearance rate gets higher and higher the further in the game you get so there’s that too.

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure for my original run my first encounter with her was near the end of disk 1, outside of a certain temple.

Which is kinda funny now I think on it. It's one thing to encounter her in a forest on a main continent, what the heck is she doing off in a forest in the middle of nowhere?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Hyper Inferno posted:

Yeah, outside of Junon you've only got a 1/8th chance of encountering her in the forests. Near Rocket Town it's basically 100%.
I gained over a dozen levels each time I found Yuffie. You bet I eyed the guide thoroughly and took my time checking off that list.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

NikkolasKing posted:

It's been a while but I'm pretty sure for my original run my first encounter with her was near the end of disk 1, outside of a certain temple.

Which is kinda funny now I think on it. It's one thing to encounter her in a forest on a main continent, what the heck is she doing off in a forest in the middle of nowhere?
Well why shouldn't a materia thief be next to the largest goddamn material in the world

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

That is super comforting to know. Friendly communities makes the experience that much better.

You don't even really have to tell them, since all new characters are flagged as Sprouts, and have a special Sprout Icon by their name. It doesn't hurt, though, because even players with hundreds of hours will have new characters flagged as Sprouts.

Speaking of new characters, there's no real reason to make multiple characters, because you can play every job in the game (as long as you have the required expansion and are at the required level).

Machinist Best Job.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Just got to Costa Del Sol which is a bit different from its FFXIV incarnation, but still a nice little beach town.

In a series jam packed with weird enemies, I think FFVII has some of the weirdest. I've been attacked by sentient motorcycles, a robot egg and... brains in jars except when they open their lids I think there's a human head that pops out??????

EDIT: I'm also not sure where Sephiropth was hiding Jenova, and considering everyone on the ship got loving massacred the rest of the soldiers and sailors on the boat seemed pretty unfazed

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 17, 2022

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
IIRC a lot of the weird enemy designs in FFVII came from the team loving around and getting used to 3D modeling. Same goes for the mini-games - early experiments that got stitched into the final product. Kinda fun, actually.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

8 Remaster is on sale for 10 bux so I just bought it, but if I do play it it's gonna be after everything else

and World of Final Fantasy is 60% off so gently caress it

I now own every FF game on Steam except the 3d remakes of 3 and 4 and the Final Fantasy Legends collection which I guess are game boy games

EDIT: FF Legends apparently isn't actually a Final Fantasy game, Square just rebranded it as "Final Fantasy Legends" for marketing purposes

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 17, 2022

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

it and its sequel were significant enough for square that you could call them a side series still but it's interesting they didnt really integrate any saga stuff into ff going forward like they did with ogre battle. similarly mana is/was canonically a side series and there's like maybe a couple allusions to it in 14

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

actually maybe world of ff is most similar to ff legend since ff legend birthed pokemon which birthed woff