Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The painted section on the side of the phone where the sim tray used to be is a lol, although the 13 demo in the store had it too so I guess it’s not new?

Did a new phone experience with just my iCloud logged in and forgot my iMessages won’t come down. That’s lame. Luckily I have them on my Mac, but still. Also didn’t seem to know my wifi passwords either unless keychain was lagged, but it had the website ones up fine.

Still wishing I could have both fancy Lock Screen depth effect and widgets at the same time. Maybe time to dedicate one each to different focuses to enjoy both.

It took 4 people nearly 2 hours at AT&T to activate the drat thing. Also the manager took a freshly rebooted XR I was trading in and swiped up the app switcher and promptly closed like 30 savestated apps and said I should keep on top of that to keep my phone running faster, and man that dumb belief is never going to die is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I cannot wait until apple makes a shatterproof phone and I will buy it on day one so I can finally be free of cases. About once a month I drop my phone in such a way that it would have definitely shattered had I not had a case put on.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It took 4 people nearly 2 hours at AT&T to activate the drat thing. Also the manager took a freshly rebooted XR I was trading in and swiped up the app switcher and promptly closed like 30 savestated apps and said I should keep on top of that to keep my phone running faster, and man that dumb belief is never going to die is it.
I dont know why this revolted me as much as it did. It felt like I was there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Very smooth transfer process from AT&T to Verizon. Thank you Duckman2008.

Also I forgot to downgrade to mainline but the new phone just asked me if i wanted to join beta with the phone when setting it up which saved a lot of time.

Note to loving self though: open up the podcast app you are going to use before leaving, they're all babies about cellular downloads on first use.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hate this paragraph so much. :argh:

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Coming from a 12Pro to 14Pro the always-on screen + 120hz refresh or whatever is such a good upgrade. The camera bumps are huge tho :trumppop:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nuts and Gum posted:

The camera bumps are huge tho :trumppop:
Yea, I have a Fitbag sock for the phone. 12 Pro fit fine, 14 Pro gives me troubles, solely because of the camera bump.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

The painted section on the side of the phone where the sim tray used to be is a lol, although the 13 demo in the store had it too so I guess it’s not new?
That’s the cutout for the 5G mmWave antenna and it’s on the opposite side from the SIM tray anyway.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

That’s the cutout for the 5G mmWave antenna and it’s on the opposite side from the SIM tray anyway.

Kinda annoys me that the non-cellular iPads still have those!

Also now I'm on an iPhone mini, all other phones seem like ridiculous tablets for giants. Unless the battery life turns out to truly suck, I can't imagine going back. Even if they discontinue the mini, I hope the SE morphs into this form factor or something.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I think you’ll find anything smaller than a pro max is actually a tiny little toy for babies

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

History Comes Inside! posted:

I think you’ll find anything smaller than a pro max is actually a tiny little toy for babies

Anyone who uses a pro max has cloud and beanstalk in their home address

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I went from a 13 pro max to a 14 pro and I hope I can get used to this child sized screen. I do like that it’s lighter but that’s a real devils bargain.

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
Coming from a busted launch-day X with original battery at 75% health, broken lightning port, green-lines-of-death on the screen, ghost touch issues, and dead zones with no touch sensitivity, the 14 Pro Max is quite the upgrade, god drat. Cool And Good city over here. I've heard a lot of 'oh once you've had 120hz you can't go back' and I could really see that being the case.
Like, when I'm scrolling through Wikipedia, the words are still perfectly readable as they scroll past, even when going quite fast. I don't think I'd ever really noticed that they weren't very readable in motion before, but yeah.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Josh Lyman posted:

Ah I’ve learned something! Did they move the sim tray then, as it’s exactly where it was on my XR.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

EL BROMANCE posted:

Ah I’ve learned something! Did they move the sim tray then, as it’s exactly where it was on my XR.

SIM tray is on the left side below the volume buttons on at least the 13 Pro and 14 Pro

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yea, I have a Fitbag sock for the phone. 12 Pro fit fine, 14 Pro gives me troubles, solely because of the camera bump.

Camera bump? More like camera hump

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Frank Dillinger posted:

Holy poo poo the rear cameras on this phone are huge. Is this how Apple finally gets us to use a case? I’d need a dad-tier otter box to make them flush.

Yeah, I have a bit of trouble getting it to catch properly to start charging on my wireless charging power bank now. The bump is just enough to mean the positioning needs to be spot on.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

How do I make the notifications go up to where they were on iOS 16 on the lockstren? Being at the bottom really messes with me..

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You don’t. You’ll get used to it in like a day.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

ThermoPhysical posted:

How do I make the notifications go up to where they were on iOS 16 on the lockstren? Being at the bottom really messes with me..
Hmm I dunno that’s a real head scratcher. Maybe if there were some sort of notifications settings menu somewhere.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

American McGay posted:

Set it up as new device and just use it. Download stuff when you decide you need it. Free yourself of these binds.

but my Downcast subscriptions/individual episode progress :(

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, I have a bit of trouble getting it to catch properly to start charging on my wireless charging power bank now. The bump is just enough to mean the positioning needs to be spot on.

I can no longer stick my phone on my fridge unless I rest the camera bump over the top of the freezer door. thanks for nothing tim

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How long before the camera bump is big enough that it actually makes the phone lie at a comfortable angle for reading when you set it down on a table?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

American McGay posted:

Hmm I dunno that’s a real head scratcher. Maybe if there were some sort of notifications settings menu somewhere.

They still start at the bottom, your options are just how condensed they are.

Most people look at their phone so much UI changes like this just replace your muscle memory very quickly. I thought the swipe based controls would take forever to get used to too.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

American McGay posted:

That’s not an option in that menu mlyp have no option to be good

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

withak posted:

How long before the camera bump is big enough that it actually makes the phone lie at a comfortable angle for reading when you set it down on a table?

When it turns into an integrated pop socket.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

withak posted:

I think the Pixel like is gonna get there first (if the 6 Pro isn’t already?)

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

The Grumbles posted:

Kinda annoys me that the non-cellular iPads still have those!

Isn't that where the apple pencil charges? I know it is on my mini, and looks exactly like the mmWave cutout on my 13. AFAIK the Mini 6 doesn't have mmWave in any model either.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

American McGay posted:

The only thing worse than a smug prick is a wrong smug prick. You can't put notifications where they used to be in ios16.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Ugh they gotta not make me want a 14 Pro. (Click through to the image if it’s not obvious.)
https://twitter.com/halidecamera/status/1571209773303070721

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

fourwood posted:

Ugh they gotta not make me want a 14 Pro. (Click through to the image if it’s not obvious.)
https://twitter.com/halidecamera/status/1571209773303070721
:chanpop:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Magic Underwear posted:

The only thing worse than a smug prick is a wrong smug prick. You can't put notifications where they used to be in ios16.

I mentioned it earlier in the thread but the new Lock Screen will make way more sense once the live notifications are available.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

fourwood posted:

Ugh they gotta not make me want a 14 Pro.

Well, keep in mind transferring those files off a 14 is going to be a pain given Lightning data speeds.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

.Z. posted:

Well, keep in mind transferring those files off a 14 is going to be a pain given Lightning data speeds.

Who transfers files that way in the year 2022?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

~Coxy posted:

dude your wife is hot

that is a photograph of british art pop singer-songwriter kate bush, who is very hot but not as hot as my wife

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

withak posted:

It’s not a bump it’s a built in stand!

xzzy posted:

When it turns into an integrated pop socket.

Seriously I’ve wanted this for so long. I love having a pop socket but it stops the wireless puck from connecting.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 17, 2022

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

Who transfers files that way in the year 2022?

How else does one transfer photos and video? I’ve tried waiting for iCloud to sync and it’s an absolute pain.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ThermoPhysical posted:

How else does one transfer photos and video? I’ve tried waiting for iCloud to sync and it’s an absolute pain.

I just let iCloud sync when I’m sleeping I guess.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nuts and Gum posted:

It’s not a bump it’s a built in stand!

Seriously I’ve wanted this for so long. I love having a pop socket but it stops the wireless puck from connecting.

Get an adhesive pop socket and stick it onto a baseplate like this and you can just pop it off to wireless charge.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Kalman posted:

Get an adhesive pop socket and stick it onto a baseplate like this and you can just pop it off to wireless charge.

They have official MagSafe PopSockets though, and they're the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

101 posted:

They have official MagSafe PopSockets though, and they're the best

I’m a cheapskate (and I use it with a ring instead of a pop thing, and the ring dies of metal fatigue after a while so it’s cheaper to just buy a new ring to stick on the old plate.)