Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

echinopsis posted:

mate you’ve got a hydrasynth?

very much so, yes. also most other synths. but the hydrasynth is probably the greatest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
literally playing it this moment drat

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

echinopsis posted:

literally playing it this moment drat

its the cs-80 vangelis wishes he had

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

I find it kinda discombobulating,
I find it rather cool,
The dreams with wibbly modulating,
Are the ones that truly rule.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i just want to pop my head in and say all this poo poo is super cool.

also i got a resin 3d printer and it is sweet. i'm using blender to edit some of the 3d models so that i can use less supports. pretty good software tbqh!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i want to lick this

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Stereotype posted:

also i got a resin 3d printer and it is sweet. i'm using blender to edit some of the 3d models so that i can use less supports. pretty good software tbqh!

those are great! cook me up a space-theme chess set and I'll send you cash money

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Roosevelt posted:

those are great! cook me up a space-theme chess set and I'll send you cash money

that's a super good idea, i bet i could sell an eve online themed chess set! i could make 4 sets of pieces, for each of the empires. they are already separated into classes sort of too.

printing doesn't go quickly though, and i'm only running like a 50% duty cycle because i'm lazy about cleaning everything up after printing.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Stereotype posted:

Same. I haven’t started editing models myself but I have downloaded blender on several different devices.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Stereotype posted:

that's a super good idea, i bet i could sell an eve online themed chess set! i could make 4 sets of pieces, for each of the empires. they are already separated into classes sort of too.

printing doesn't go quickly though, and i'm only running like a 50% duty cycle because i'm lazy about cleaning everything up after printing.

i don't know poo poo about eve but as long as the queen is an ultrafast pinpoint destroyer and the king is a slow defenseless space station it's perfect

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Roosevelt posted:

i don't know poo poo about eve but as long as the queen is an ultrafast pinpoint destroyer and the king is a slow defenseless space station it's perfect

lol yeah i was thinking a keepstar (biggest player made station) as the king, and a titan or dreadnaught as the queen (both have a jump drive and can jump to any system within range). pawns would be frigates, the others could be cruisers and destroyers.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

whats eve online is that some kind of bible game

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Stereotype posted:

nice astero

come join goosefleet

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Kazinsal posted:

nice astero

come join goosefleet

sorry all my poo poo is stuck in 1dq1 because they kicked me for correctly informing them that mittani was a sex pest

except my ark, which i smartly left in lowsec

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null

distortion park posted:

Thanks, some incredible stuff in there, I copied FalseNegative's marble texture technique, was pretty smart. When I started playing around with the Magic Texture it looked completely wrong, they had nailed in the exact right param set that makes it work, you can't move far off before it no longer looks right.

I couldn't work out how to make both the texture and colours randomised - it was always either one or the other, no matter what I did with Realize Instances. Going to leave it for now, maybe try and do a 3d partially transparent marble next, learnt so much just copying their stuff and messing around.

I was quite pleased with the background texture - big scale on a smooth noise + colorramp to black and white gives a cool, very flexible effect for bold patterns.

Just catching up! I'm glad it was useful :)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/ExaltedSparklingEel.mp4

just something peaceful 2 enjoy

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

that’s nice echi, good colors

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what happens if you walk into the mist

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it stinks

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

that's pretty

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thanks mate :)

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

There’s plenty of free resources out there for learning geometry nodes, but the sentient node group masquerading as the human “Erindale” has put out a newer course for Blender 3.3, which is both currently discounted to $18 for a week and also a free update if you happened to get his pre-3.0 course before the field system was introduced to geonodes.

https://twitter.com/erindale_xyz/status/1564363352314466305

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

yah erindale is good at nodes and he seems like a nice guy. i joined his discord server last nodevember and he's pretty responsive and helpful on there and has a nice community of nodeheads too

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

btw im pretty sure erindale has no sort of formal training or math background or anything, just took an active interest in proceduralism and blender nodes and self taught.

made the 2.93 splash screen as one of the first big geo node demos too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/comments/xapo8g/stable_diffusion_builtin_to_the_blender_shader/

I always wanted to play with stable diffusion, this seems like an easy way.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

sick

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/blender/comments/xapo8g/stable_diffusion_builtin_to_the_blender_shader/

I always wanted to play with stable diffusion, this seems like an easy way.

very cool, I wonder if it works with inputs like “tiles seamlessly”

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I don't think so, but someone already made a fork of it for tiling images I think.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Blender 3.3 has dropped!

Among other things, we have a point cloud primitive node now!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Blender 3.3 has dropped!

i love blender

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
over the years blender has given me many many evenings of hyper focus and puzzle solving

I’ve recently reinstalled unreal engine hoping to find some motivation to build or make something in that. I once made a multi body gravity sim thing

I have a “body manager”, and it’s in charge of say three planets, and each frame it cycles through each planet and makes it calculate using newtons gravity formula the force of each body on every other body and then adds that force to each body, and these things already had some momentum so it just kinda changes their direction. and voila they all interact with each other like if they had gravity

and thro a second repulsive equation in there but one that has a sharp fall off, so there is a sweet spot of attraction/repulsion that over time these things will find and they’ll live forever in this equilibrium love haven of planets

i’ve done it before but it’s lost to history

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

over the years blender has given me many many evenings of hyper focus and puzzle solving

I’ve recently reinstalled unreal engine hoping to find some motivation to build or make something in that. I once made a multi body gravity sim thing

I have a “body manager”, and it’s in charge of say three planets, and each frame it cycles through each planet and makes it calculate using newtons gravity formula the force of each body on every other body and then adds that force to each body, and these things already had some momentum so it just kinda changes their direction. and voila they all interact with each other like if they had gravity

and thro a second repulsive equation in there but one that has a sharp fall off, so there is a sweet spot of attraction/repulsion that over time these things will find and they’ll live forever in this equilibrium love haven of planets

i’ve done it before but it’s lost to history

next step https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_metric

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hmm that sounds like bullshit to me but has given me a good idea

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
I did the same with SVG <circle>s in the browser with the force-directed layout engine in d3.js

it’s probably an inescapable “digital interactive visual artist” hangup because we know how cheap that calculation is on 2022 hardware

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Bluemillion posted:

Blender 3.3 has dropped!

o poo poo

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
blender, unreal, or unity?

i guess comedy option godot also

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

RokosCockatrice posted:

blender, unreal, or unity?

i guess comedy option godot also

For what? Blender is the only modeling software in the bunch. Blender and Unreal can both be used for VFX, but you still want separate video editing software. Unity just got bought out by a really scummy company. Godot is a nice light open source option for myfirstgame.exe.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m loathe to “support” unreal engine because epic games do some scummy practices

BUT you literally get AAA game engine to gently caress around in, and with mega scans you have AAA textures and models to gently caress around with, and with blueprints you don’t need to learn c++ to do the loving around

and it can do path tracing!!! but not real time 😭 lol. but with rtx and “ray tracing” you can get some decent global illumination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I think Blender is about the only way you can avoid scummy companies. Too bad there isn't a similar solution to textures. I know ArmorPaint exists, but it didn't do what I want to.

...To be fair, Substance doesn't do what I want to either. Or Quixel. I gotta try out 3DCoat, the weird Ukrainian Christian solution.