Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Once again just more reason to play the best mode, Mystery Heroes, since the heroes will all be available there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

teagone posted:

Zarya has sorely needed a Vasquez skin since launch.

I think Zarya would loving kill it in an Aliens inspired skin. Her particle cannon is drat near a Smart Gun already. Now I'm wondering what other characters could get Aliens skins. S76 as Drake, and Reaper as Hicks. Baptiste as Frost or Apone... Bastion as a super hosed up Bishop...

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Just give me my goddamn Goblin King Moira skin

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/OverwatchCaval/status/1570835919258767362

Wow, I'm genuinely surprised that they aren't continuing to stack DPS characters like they've been doing up to this point.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Just give me my goddamn Goblin King Moira skin

Forget that, I want a Moira skin where she wears a nice suit like Annie Lennox does in the Sweet Dreams video

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I really like the detail that Moira's default OW2 skin got a touch of grey hair.

wish they had more supplemental material about Moira. She's my favorite character but she's not present in any of the comics/conematic shorts/etc, other than being in one panel of one comic, iirc.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Jack Trades posted:

https://twitter.com/OverwatchCaval/status/1570835919258767362

Wow, I'm genuinely surprised that they aren't continuing to stack DPS characters like they've been doing up to this point.
But I thought there wasn't any more design space for tanks and supports? What changed?

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

No Wave posted:

But I thought there wasn't any more design space for tanks and supports? What changed?

I guess it's just a different game now and they're more willing to have tanks and supports be pseudo-DPS

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I guess it's just a different game now and they're more willing to have tanks and supports be pseudo-DPS

That was always the case though.
Roadhog is and has always been just a fat DPS. You can drop him into the DPS role without changing anything other than his HP pool and he'll fit right in.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Jack Trades posted:

Roadhog is and has always been just a fat DPS.
ACTUALLY it's not the Tanks job to do DPS; this is why Geoff decimated Roadhog's ability to deal damage to help balance the game correctly before introducing Brig.

Geoff is still lead character designer
how is that possible

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It shouldn't be the tank's job to do dps, it should be the Tank's job to protect the team. Yet Roadhog does nothing but instakill an enemy non-tank every 8 seconds.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Roadhog is designed correctly in that he's a big threat that takes up space and requires the other team to shoot at him lest they get got by him, that's his form of damage mitigation for his team. he especially made sense in a 6v6 environment with two tanks

I'm interested in seeing if he does enough of that to be the only tank in 5v5

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

I'm surprised Roadhog didn't end up with his Take A Breath being some sort of AOE effect for his team, a bit like Shout for Junker Queen.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm surprised Roadhog didn't end up with his Take A Breath being some sort of AOE effect for his team, a bit like Shout for Junker Queen.

we'll see how pickrates shake out through October and then I bet they'll figure something out. they seemed really ready to tackle that kind of thing during the beta

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

grieving for Gandalf posted:

we'll see how pickrates shake out through October and then I bet they'll figure something out. they seemed really ready to tackle that kind of thing during the beta

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I just read that on Oct 2 that OW1 will be shut down entirely?

This has to be an out-of-season April Fool's joke, right? What if you actually prefer 6v6 to 5v5? Do the skins and other cosmetics transfer over?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if you prefer 6v6 to 5v5 i recommend you spend the next few weeks finding a 6v6 shooter you like

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What if you actually prefer 6v6 to 5v5? Do the skins and other cosmetics transfer over?

Too bad, and yes

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I just read that on Oct 2 that OW1 will be shut down entirely?

This has to be an out-of-season April Fool's joke, right? What if you actually prefer 6v6 to 5v5? Do the skins and other cosmetics transfer over?

OW1 was always going to be turning into OW2. This has been the case from the very second they announced OW2

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm really confused. Maybe it's because I haven't really been following OW2 news because I just assumed it would be something you could opt-in as a separate product, not something that would be replacing OW1 entirely.

When was this decision announced? What need prompted it? Was it to avoid OW1 cannibalizing in-game purchases from OW2 or vice-versa? Why not just keep both options available for players to choose? :psyduck:

E: I'm just worried that it will turn out to be akin to the Warcraft 3 remaster where it shat all over the original game and forced people to opt-in whether they liked the changes or not. I do not trust modern Blizzard to make wise decisions with the direction of their franchises anymore.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 17, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

afaik this is the first time a 'sequel' to a game shut down and prevented you from playing the prior game on release lol

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

comedyblissoption posted:

afaik this is the first time a 'sequel' to a game shut down and prevented you from playing the prior game on release lol

This is basically going from vanilla WoW to Cataclysm WoW

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

comedyblissoption posted:

I was gonna say, as a comparison I didn't like how Left 4 Dead 2 felt like a rip-off at the time as a full-price purchase instead of being priced as an expansion pack for people who already bought into the original Left 4 Dead, but at least I could keep playing on the L4D1 servers if I wanted to and enjoy both experiences. Apparently you can't even make that kind of choice now as a consumer? :psyduck:

Macaluso posted:

Yeah, yeah. Nice. Cool.

So I'm guessing there will also be a separately-purchasable OW Classic in the future as well?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 17, 2022

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Macaluso posted:

yeah OW2 is less a separate game and more just a fairly radical patch.

aside from arguably poor/confusing branding, this isn't really any different from Paladins completely overhauling how cards worked and making the pre-change version unavailable, street fighter 5 adding V-Shift and additional V-Skills/Triggers and making the pre-change version unavailable, or any other of tons of example you could come up with

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
im not saying that it's a good thing it's hard/impossible to play past versions of games you like, but the idea that this is the first time this has ever happened is super wild

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'm really confused. Maybe it's because I haven't really been following OW2 news because I just assumed it would be something you could opt-in as a separate product, not something that would be replacing OW1 entirely.

Basically, the easiest way to understand it is that there is no actual "Overwatch 2" anymore so much as it is a marketing decision to label it as such; the multiplayer of Overwatch 1 is just getting a big patch to retool it in some pretty significant ways like going down to 5v5 and adding three new heroes at once.

I think originally, there was some vague talk about "crossplay" between a hypothetical Overwatch 2 and Overwatch 1, but that all disappeared when they went silent for so long and eventually decided to split up the multiplayer and single-player content of the project. And because it would be laughable for them to try selling the new multiplayer on its own, it essentially became a free update for the current multiplayer.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I wonder if they'll add 6v6 as an arcade game mode, lol.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

still get a sensible chuckle at how aptly named Cataclysm was

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Apparently you can't even make that kind of choice now as a consumer? :psyduck:
If you think this is bad, just wait until you hear about Babylon's Fall and Anthem.

Overwatch 2 is also totally overhauling the loot system. Loot boxes are out, battle passes are in.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I was gonna say, as a comparison I didn't like how Left 4 Dead 2 felt like a rip-off at the time as a full-price purchase instead of being priced as an expansion pack for people who already bought into the original Left 4 Dead, but at least I could keep playing on the L4D1 servers if I wanted to and enjoy both experiences. Apparently you can't even make that kind of choice now as a consumer? :psyduck:

Considering that they own and operate the servers, matchmaking system, etc, yeah that really shouldn't be surprising.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm not sure what some of you are smoking but there are thousands of games, not even limited to multiplayer games, that got updated over their lifespans into a completely different experience that their original release and in a whole metric fuckton of cases you can't access the original versions any more.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not defending the practice. It loving sucks rear end.
It's just really not uncommon at all.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Generic American posted:

I think originally, there was some vague talk about "crossplay" between a hypothetical Overwatch 2 and Overwatch 1, but that all disappeared when they went silent for so long...

Riiiiight, yeah. See, this is where I'm feeling severe whiplash because this was my last point of reference.

Maybe I've just become a normie or something, but I don't follow gaming news obsessively. I don't play or follow Valorant, Apex Legends, etc. I just pick one game as my main hobby to play for a bit after work then get on with the rest of my life.

I followed the news when they first announced a sequel then just shrugged my shoulders and went back to playing OW1 after things went radio-silent for so long. I'd occasionally dip into this thread to lurk once in a while, but AFAIK even this thread was pretty dead until fairly recently too.

It wasn't until I started getting a bunch of in-game announcements in OW1 for unlocking any skin I want etc literally since a few days ago that I'm suddenly realizing that OW2 actually means the death-knell of OW1.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 17, 2022

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Father Wendigo posted:

If you think this is bad, just wait until you hear about Babylon's Fall and Anthem.

Overwatch 2 is also totally overhauling the loot system. Loot boxes are out, battle passes are in.

Also weekly bundles of cosmetics for cash/OW Coins.

There is no point splitting the userbase between OW1 and OW2.
Queue on OW1 is already pretty long for the masters+ players.
Imagine being Plat DPS on OW1, waiting 30 minutes for a match and then getting a leaver/thrower or otherwise bad match?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

adhuin posted:

Imagine being Plat DPS on OW1, waiting 30 minutes for a match and then getting a leaver/thrower or otherwise bad match?

I don't have to imagine it. I've lived it. ~90 hours of competitive play was enough for me to take in. I have zero interest in the ranked experience anymore as a result, lol. I might dive back into competitive for OW2, but ehhhh, I have so much more fun loving around in arcade modes if my stack isn't around for QP.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Anyways, is it still fun to play as Junkrat/Roadhog/Mercy in OW2, at least? Those are my main picks for each of the class roles in OW1.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Anyways, is it still fun to play as Junkrat/Roadhog/Mercy in OW2, at least? Those are my main picks for each of the class roles in OW1.

Roadhog has even more health. That's the only change those characters had.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

They made Junkrat take a bath so he isn't covered in soot anymore, and they made him put on pants.

They ruined him, I'm sorry you had to find out this way. :australia:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

They keep loving with Mercy's superjump mechanic and I'm not sure which implementation is going to be in the game on Oct 4th, but otherwise, she's about as fun as she was in OW1 imo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
most mercy mains I've seen talk about the jump changes seem to agree that each revision has been better than the last, and also that they should have just not messed with it in the first place. i haven't put time into mercy since before Ana even existed so i can't comment but otherwise she seems basically the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Father Wendigo posted:

They made Junkrat take a bath so he isn't covered in soot anymore, and they made him put on pants.

They ruined him, I'm sorry you had to find out this way. :australia:

loving cancel culture.

I still want tux skins or prom skins for everyone.