Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I'm grateful that there's a patch for Deus Ex : Human Revolution that adds the piss filter back in after being removed from the Director's Cut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

credburn posted:

Urethra Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption

:doit:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

christmas boots posted:

TBH I didn't think that pick looked all that worn at the end considering how much use Andy got out of it

It’s not explicitly stated in the movie, but in the King story he goes through a fair number of rock hammers throughout his time at Shawshank.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There's also more than one warden in the book. A lot was condensed for the movie. Still one of the best adaptations of his work. Darabont has one of the best track records with adapting King.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Imperador do Brasil posted:

It’s not explicitly stated in the movie, but in the King story he goes through a fair number of rock hammers throughout his time at Shawshank.

Probably for all those kidney stones he must've passed

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The idea of feral wall-dwelling people that terrorize the people in the house is played out. And by that I mean I've seen it happen in two different shows, which is two too many.

do they even still make houses like that with the massive gaps in the walls that people can walk between?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Closest thing would be apartment buildings that are still built with a wet wall.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The idea of feral wall-dwelling people that terrorize the people in the house is played out. And by that I mean I've seen it happen in two different shows, which is two too many.

do they even still make houses like that with the massive gaps in the walls that people can walk between?

I'm imagining Encanto as a horror movie now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Baron von Eevl posted:

No, really, *we don't talk about Bruno*

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Not to beat a dead horse, but it always amused/IIMM me with Encanto how the grandma is setting up her oldest granddaughter with a dude who looks like her dead husband and stressing how important this is for the family. It should be the loving opposite: people should be begging to marry into this family! There's no benefit to the Madrigals outside of new genes, the benefit is all the people marrying into magic family!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

That guy is now pregnant with Zeus' baby.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Not to beat a dead horse, but it always amused/IIMM me with Encanto how the grandma is setting up her oldest granddaughter with a dude who looks like her dead husband and stressing how important this is for the family. It should be the loving opposite: people should be begging to marry into this family! There's no benefit to the Madrigals outside of new genes, the benefit is all the people marrying into magic family!

Be fair - you've seen how they treat their own when bad luck happens. What if you marry into the Madrigal family, and get a kid with a power that is hard to market well/another supposed dud with an invisible power? Suddenly you're the new scapegoat, as is your child. No one wants to end up the father of a Bruno or a Mirabel because they've seen what happens to those types of children.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Cowslips Warren posted:

There's a lot that doesn't quite make sense in the movie; I also noticed how much he looks like Abuelo, I figure it's just lazy character designs rather than a deliberate thing.

But yeah, they don't exactly need to secure political alliances with other families there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Baron von Eevl posted:

There's a lot that doesn't quite make sense in the movie; I also noticed how much he looks like Abuelo, I figure it's just lazy character designs rather than a deliberate thing.

But yeah, they don't exactly need to secure political alliances with other families there.

Dolores is also very lucky that he doesn't seem to have a type. Her pining over him could have easily been a one-way crush that he didn't reciprocate.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think it's lazy character design. It's probably part of a subplot that got written out. Disney movies go through a lot of shifting and changing in the writing stages alongside all the other stuff.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Speaking of Encanto, my IIMM is when characters have to be nice or maybe even selfless to solve the problem that they created by being assholes in the first place but then they only act that way because otherwise it would be the end of their world or whatever.

Had a similar feeling in Everything Everywhere All At Once, wow what a hero you are managing to finally to pull the stick out of your rear end when all of existence is on the line.

BiggestOrangeTree has a new favorite as of 21:20 on Sep 17, 2022

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

The family Madrigal is essentially self-sustaining in it's power within the community so long as they keep supporting it and so long as the family doesn't fall apart. Abuela Madrigal's politics are focused within the family moreso than outside of it because of this, and why marriage for her is essentially about flexing on her kids and grandkids rather than getting into the good graces of other families that can't offer anything in a real material sense.

It's her whole tragic flaw. Her job in maintaining utopia is ensuring that her family is harmonious enough to keep holding up society in it's present form, but she makes the classic matriarch blunder of deciding what will make them happy rather than listening to what they actually want.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Oops, quote isn't edit. Anyway.

I watched the new Candyman, and I thought there was interesting stuff in there, but what bugged me a lot is that copkiller Candyman seemed like a weird turn that didn't really fit. Like, Candyman is a psychic heat sink for horrible events that can't be reconciled with in society that burns the poo poo out of you if you touch it, and that's cool, but it feels like it's breaking all the rules to weaponize him at the end. Maybe I'm missing something crucial.

Also I think they should have leaned way into the bit and called it Candymen.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Speaking of Encanto, my IIMM is when characters have to be nice or maybe even selfless to solve the problem that they created by being assholes in the first place but then they only act that way because otherwise it would be the end of their world or whatever.

Had a similar feeling in Everything Everywhere All At Once, wow what a hero you are managing to finally to pull the stick out of your rear end when all of existence is on the line.

Being of any immigrant background changes a lot about both those experiences and yes why that is hard when your entire worldview is shaped by a bunch of intergenerational trauma that just doesn't get unpacked in the "old country".

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

Dolores is also very lucky that he doesn't seem to have a type. Her pining over him could have easily been a one-way crush that he didn't reciprocate.

I mean from what we see, the dude isn't all in love with Isa either. He might just be a dope in love with the idea of love.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, he kind of tells on himself when Dolores tells him she understands him and he says he wants to get married to her right away and she's like "whoa there cowboy"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BioEnchanted posted:

Be fair - you've seen how they treat their own when bad luck happens. What if you marry into the Madrigal family, and get a kid with a power that is hard to market well/another supposed dud with an invisible power? Suddenly you're the new scapegoat, as is your child. No one wants to end up the father of a Bruno or a Mirabel because they've seen what happens to those types of children.

Also that you got an overbearing mother in law and a partner with emotional baggage and superpowers. It's easier to stay on their good side and benefit from their presence as neighbours, but everything's a double edged sword.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also that you got an overbearing mother in law and a partner with emotional baggage and superpowers. It's easier to stay on their good side and benefit from their presence as neighbours, but everything's a double edged sword.

It is kinda telling in one brief scene where the grandma is laying into the weather-control daughter, and daughter's husband shoots grandma this evil side-eye, like Bitch, you aren't helping, shut it!

I do find it interesting that grandma only seems to really interact with Mirabel's sisters and less her other grandchildren. I know the movie is short on time but we never really see the superhearing or shapeshifting kid get any issue with her. Antonio is clearly worried about disappointing her though.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

My Encanto and Marvel related IIMM is that Pepa and Felix (the weather controlling sister and her husband) have more romantic chemistry than anything I remember seeing in a Marvel movie. Maybe the new ones I haven't seen change things up but I have my doubts.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Dolores was Alma's snitch and her super hearing was used to spy on townspeople. This was probably used to arrange the marriages to find the 'right' match. She also knew Bruno was around the whole time and surprisingly didn't tell anyone, perhaps she took the instructions "we don't talk about Bruno" literally. But more likely even if she did rat him out to Alma she'd probably get yelled at for not saying something sooner.

Camilo wasn't shown much, but what we see of his shape-shifting powers implies he was probably worked as hard as Luisa considering how useful his power set is. We see him taking the form of some mom to watch her baby for her. And I bet Alma made him take her appearance as a stand in for her when she didn't feel like talking to someone that day or wanted to multi task. Though unlike Luisa his powers and personality meant he could likely shirk tasks if he didn't feel like it by disguising himself as someone else to avoid people. He also had to deal with his basket case of a mom Pepa and probably spent a lot of time trying to regulate her anxiety.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I love that Antonio takes after Mirabel because she is his inspiration - she's always been supportive of him, and her making clear that if he doesn't get powers she won't think less of him probably helped his anxiety a lot. As such, even once he gets his powers, he's a hell of a caretaker. Stuff like lending Bruno his room instead of panicking about the premonition because he's way wiser than his older sister. He wants to be other people's pillar the same way Mirabel was his.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Never Say Never Again has its share of problems, but the funniest bit is how Evil Villainess assassinates Evil Lackey. She pulls up alongside his car in hers, and throws a snake into his car. It's not a venomous snake or anything, just a little constrictor. For this to make sense, she needs to be nearly certain that (a) he'll panic instead of doing anything intelligent and (b) that this panic will result in him fatally crashing his car.

So of course those things happen.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Dolores was Alma's snitch and her super hearing was used to spy on townspeople. This was probably used to arrange the marriages to find the 'right' match. She also knew Bruno was around the whole time and surprisingly didn't tell anyone, perhaps she took the instructions "we don't talk about Bruno" literally. But more likely even if she did rat him out to Alma she'd probably get yelled at for not saying something sooner.

Camilo wasn't shown much, but what we see of his shape-shifting powers implies he was probably worked as hard as Luisa considering how useful his power set is. We see him taking the form of some mom to watch her baby for her. And I bet Alma made him take her appearance as a stand in for her when she didn't feel like talking to someone that day or wanted to multi task. Though unlike Luisa his powers and personality meant he could likely shirk tasks if he didn't feel like it by disguising himself as someone else to avoid people. He also had to deal with his basket case of a mom Pepa and probably spent a lot of time trying to regulate her anxiety.

I like to think Dolores understood why Bruno went into hiding (probably helped she heard him every night and what he was doing), and similar to how everyone sees her as a snitch, she knows Bruno wasn't making bad poo poo happen. She probably does understand him the most from his family; as for her being a snitch, doesn't mean she doesn't keep secrets. I imagine she keeps a lot secret; the dinner party was just a breaking point because the dude she likes will marry a cousin who doesn't like him, and that would make anyone snap. I mean, she might be relieved if her powers were gone, but am sure most of the others would panic.

I did love how Antonio was closer to Mirabel than his siblings, because she was probably the first person he saw every day and the last before bed. She was probably there more than his parents.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

I like to think Dolores understood why Bruno went into hiding (probably helped she heard him every night and what he was doing), and similar to how everyone sees her as a snitch, she knows Bruno wasn't making bad poo poo happen. She probably does understand him the most from his family; as for her being a snitch, doesn't mean she doesn't keep secrets. I imagine she keeps a lot secret; the dinner party was just a breaking point because the dude she likes will marry a cousin who doesn't like him, and that would make anyone snap. I mean, she might be relieved if her powers were gone, but am sure most of the others would panic.

I did love how Antonio was closer to Mirabel than his siblings, because she was probably the first person he saw every day and the last before bed. She was probably there more than his parents.

Yeah, I think Dolores's verse in We Don't Talk About Bruno shows that she completely understood what was happening. Talking about how they live in fear of him, and 'grappling with prophecies they couldn't understand; do you understand?'

She's trying to defend him without being too overt about it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A very cute thing in her verse as well is that Casita helps her in a very understated way - just before she climbs onto the chest of drawer as an impromptu stage. Those drawers aren't there when the verse starts, but if you look really closely at the bottom of the frame you see them tumble into position and snap their own drawers open as a staircase. Casita actually deliberately put those there so she could be theatrical. It's really hard to see, but I noticed it when I knew to look for it.

There's also a recurring visual theme of Mirabel mirroring the other character's dances to show that she's listening, which is very cute. Like when Dolores grabs her skirt and starts shuffling it she does the same thing with her own skirt, and she mimics Louisa's arm movements in Under Pressure. It's also used very interestingly in Isabella's song, at the start she isn't copying her and Isa's verses are just happening TO her, but when Isabella pulls her up onto the tree she's kind of letting her in, and showing her some real respect that she has never shown before, and so Mirabel reciprocates by finally matching her movements and actually listening to her.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Sep 21, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I do wish there had been scenes of the family after Mirabel didn't get her gift, like how her sisters treated her as kids, but I do have to say for its flaws, Encanto still shows a lot more accurate sisterly relationships than Frozen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

its stupid that quaid doesnt just live with his hot wife and easy job

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

I dunno, I don't think it would last

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

I dunno, I don't think it would last

She does hate him.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Fil5000 posted:

She does hate him.

He's a malcontent construction worker with brain problems. You can hardly blame her.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

its stupid that quaid doesnt just live with his hot wife and easy job

Brad Pitt got bored of loving Jennifer Aniston.

Men are stupid.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
I liked that movie Pitt and Jolie did that was basically their just real-life marital contempt and ennui on screen. It was a slow motion train wreck of two people who just absolutely cannot even with the other anymore.

It's like Eyes Wide Shut, except better and with less moralizing about secret society sex parties.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The rich are 100% holding weirdo masked occult orgies but unlike the movie I doubt the participants are willing or of age.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

FreudianSlippers posted:

The rich are 100% holding weirdo masked occult orgies but unlike the movie I doubt the participants are willing or of age.

I sometimes read *there was a link here, now it's gone* and am glad all these stories are made up rumors and hearsay because otherwise I’d be shocked :monocle:

edit: VVV hmm, okay not my reading of it but it's definitely some form of trash

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Sep 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Don't post greyzone lite bs here. JFC

Seriously half this poo poo is just "bi people gently caress different genders! Sometimes with their partners!"