Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

what can i say? chip off the ol block

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

bitmap posted:

my kid fell asleep on the way back from the park and I stone cold got 5 pints in at the local before she woke up

does this mean you slammed the cans over your head and sprayed foam everywhere? hell yeah brother.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Did you leave your kid sleeping in the car to go drink?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

hell yeah brother.

I drank them in glasses like a dignified day drinker but coincidentally there was a guy on what I assume was a bucks walking through town dressed up as macho man

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my kid was sick all week (again!! twice this month, i hope he can have a streak of good health now). my wife has been feeling kinda run down too while ive been smugly congratulating myself on my powerful immune system... classic hubris, now i am starting to feel sick.

glad my kid is healthy again at least, he's very sweet and easy to handle normally but he's demonic when he's sick.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

brugroffil posted:

Did you leave your kid sleeping in the car to go drink?

I...cant tell if this is an earnest post by, like, an american but...no, she slept in the buggy I used to walk her through town where the pub is until her mother was done with her hair thing. this is much more a personal saturday victory for me than something you need to be concerned about.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bitmap posted:

I...cant tell if this is an earnest post by, like, an american but...no, she slept in the buggy I used to walk her through town where the pub is until her mother was done with her hair thing. this is much more a personal saturday victory for me than something you need to be concerned about.

yeah that's a totally acceptable Saturday out with the kiddo

bar-bars in the US are no kids allowed but plenty of what we call pubs are family friendly restaurants focused on beer+beer food

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

bitmap posted:

yeah sorry, as an American myself I also assumed that "back from the park" meant you were driving because how else would you go from one place to another? Put one foot in front of another, like a caveman?

Greg Legg posted:

I hope you and your daughter start to feel better soon. Have you tried getting a paxlovid prescription?

I'm thankful that the vaccines were approved for the under 5's this summer and our kids got them as soon as we could. Our oldest should be eligible for a booster soon, so that's good. I just hate watching them get ANY shots. I react worse than they do when that needle goes in.
Doc said it didn't seem like we'd need paxlovid since it's been pretty mild for us, just some sore throats and sniffles and body aches. No fevers or anything.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

bitmap posted:

Yeah just chalk that one up to being a dumb American

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

I remember at least one blood check a year.

As someone in training to be a GP, this seems excessive, but then again, I guess American docs gotta pay those student loans off.

bitmap posted:

my kid fell asleep on the way back from the park and I stone cold got 5 pints in at the local before she woke up

Honestly impressed you managed that much. For how long did she sleep?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

2 whole hours! what a day

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

wait don't you guys just, you know, walk around your towns to the park with your kids and stuff? :(

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Those of us lucky to live closer enough to a park or anything to walk, sure. I'm very lucky in that regard, there's like 2 parks/playgrounds in walking distance, but there aren't many places where you can walk to a park and then conveniently stop by a place to kick back and get some food and drinks for a bit on the way home. You're gonna be walking so far and crossing so many streets with traffic the whole way, and there's not even any guarantee you'll have sidewalks the whole way

E: also not much to see walking around towns, most places you can live. You can wander around parking lots and strip malls and houses but there isn't much to see or do, again unless you're lucky

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

bitmap posted:

wait don't you guys just, you know, walk around your towns to the park with your kids and stuff? :(

north america is designed for cars first.

i live in a walkable area because it's the edge of an old small town that's exploded with suburban development. there's nice parks and a library all a close walk from here, but 5 km north and there's nothing but concrete and tiny suburban lawns.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i could walk with my son to a park and then to a family friendly bar/restaurant but it looks like it's fixing to rain, oh well

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bitmap posted:

depends where you live, lots of suburban development is just endless single family homes with maybe some small parks

15-20 minute drive to literally anything besides that

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

bitmap posted:

yes and it’s great.

but you can’t just do that in a lot of places in the states.

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

A bit off track from parenting but I've lived in or near the burbs in a few cities of australia, england, sweden and now ireland and while there are obvious exceptions most of them seem to naturally enjoy hubs of a kind where you might have a little high street with like grocers, newsagents, a park, a bar, a train station etc within easy walking distance of any residence. is it just some kind of hosed up north american zoning deal?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

bitmap posted:

A bit off track from parenting but I've lived in or near the burbs in a few cities of australia, england, sweden and now ireland and while there are obvious exceptions most of them seem to naturally enjoy hubs of a kind where you might have a little high street with like grocers, newsagents, a park, a bar, a train station etc within easy walking distance of any residence. is it just some kind of hosed up north american zoning deal?

na we have those but they're further apart, not really walking distance in a lot of areas

instead of a train station, commercialy hubs are centered around walmarts or costcos or something

depends when your suburb was built too, some are planned better than others

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

bitmap posted:

is it just some kind of hosed up north american zoning deal?

old little towns have that. some big cities have that. some northeast states have that. everything else is designed for cars.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I had to call my brother in law to come help me jump start my car today because the battery was flat from disuse, nearly 3 weeks!

walking the kiddos to one of the nearby parks is great and I lament that it's not doable for everyone

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

bitmap posted:

2 whole hours! what a day

rip. when my baby sleeps longer than usual, it’s a sure sign they are sick.

we are lucky to have walkable parks, but any kind of business is in a strip mall and walking up with stroller or infant there would be unusual. homes near walkable cores obviously are more expensive.

meanolmrcloud has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Sep 17, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

late reply but i think the blood was for an anemia test

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

plenty of what we call pubs are family friendly restaurants focused on beer+beer food

Oh, like Applebees.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

In Copenhagen in the late 1800s, the prime minister decided we needed a new wall. This was largely idiotic from a military perspective, but it means that I have a park kind of thing with a channel and a hill going 10+ kilometers with very few interruptions from my home. Best military failure in history. It even has bunkers you can go into and stuff.
The American failure is both car culture and hostility towards public spaces (where homeless/black people could gather)

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I'm spoiled because I live in Toronto like 3 blocks from this giant beach, and at the top of the picture you can see the start of Tommy Thompson Park, which is a 5km man made peninsula and nature preserve jutting out into lake Ontario with a bike path running through it. I bike it 4-5 days a week.

Toronto is a really cool (and very expensive) place to live.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

wife and i are both super sick today, this is not a fun way to be parenting

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

lobster shirt posted:

That sucks man, parenting sick is the worst.

My whole family has COVID today but we're all vaxxed up so its more of an inconvenience than anything. Nobody has a fever even. We're gonna be playing lots of Elder Scrolls Online all week.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Just left Michael's empty-handed after an hour of getting increasingly angry about how the gently caress I'm supposed to "help" build a model phosphorous atom

46 loving foam balls or whatever, how the gently caress am I supposed to make a spherical nucleus out of 31 balls

every idea seemed like it would end in disaster

i loving hate these kinds of projects

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lobster shirt posted:

its peak ragweed here im dying. you may have hayfever like me

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

its peak ragweed here im dying. you may have hayfever like me

sadly no i am running a fever, chills etc. my kid had this same thing last week, i totally thought i had managed to avoid it but instead im dying. not COVID though at least.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Just left Michael's empty-handed after an hour of getting increasingly angry about how the gently caress I'm supposed to "help" build a model phosphorous atom

46 loving foam balls or whatever, how the gently caress am I supposed to make a spherical nucleus out of 31 balls

They really are making your kid count out the neutrons and protons? Couldnt you just get one big foam ball have your kid glue on smaller foam balls after you have halved them?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Yadoppsi posted:

They really are making your kid count out the neutrons and protons? Couldnt you just get one big foam ball have your kid glue on smaller foam balls after you have halved them?

Just stuff them all in a mesh bag labeled Strong Nuclear Force.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Get a tiny bead and some balloons for the various electron energy levels

Call it somewhat to scale

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Get a big inflatable ball. The bigger the better. Have your kid explain the model is to scale so the protons and neutrons are stationed around town. Share some images of various town landmarks with balls photoshopped in and a “map” of where the other balls “are”

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Saltpowered posted:

Get a big inflatable ball. The bigger the better. Have your kid explain the model is to scale so the protons and neutrons are stationed around town. Share some images of various town landmarks with balls photoshopped in and a “map” of where the other balls “are”

That's electrons, friend. The nucleons are in an extremely tight ever changing orbit with each other dominated by the strong force, but basically "occupy" the entire nucleus, to the extent that is a meaningful concept with subatomic particles.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Babby watched me making breakfast yesterday and got really interested in the eggs, especially after i cracked them. I knew this would be something to watch for but i forgot about it by the end of the day.

Today we had one of those "it's too quiet" moments and found her in the kitchen having cracked all the rest of the eggs on the floor and smearing it around on her face, and the dog happily licking it up :lol:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The worst part about not having a dog is needing to vacuum up crumbs once more.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Get mice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
Ugh, my wife dragged COVID home from work. At least our kids seem to be doing fine. Our 4 year old was sick for a day, our 1 year old is still sick, going on day 2. Seems like just a cold for them (thankfully)