Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Zoran posted:

I can't wait for them to do Episodes 10-12: the prequels again but now there's no real setting or backstory to work with this time

it would be a shame if disney had to actually come up with a story on their own

and i mean that sincerely theyve sucked at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Spermando posted:

And why didn't people go see those movies? What happened just before that that made the interest plummet?
And it can't be all "because the chuds forced them to make a bad movie" because 1) ROS was full of the same crap they complained about, and 2) no-one cared when they cried about Black Panther or lots of other properties since, nor has Disney felt the need to kowtow to them anywhere else.

Why didn't people want to watch the Han Solo prequel comedy movie that sucked rear end and was recut to remove all the jokes? It's a mystery.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Star Wars sequels each made a billion dollars (or very very very very close to it)

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

They made absolute bank but my god do they lack soul. I like how Disney green lit and hyped all these projects then realized they hollowed out the brand so now are doing a little step back. Like a dude at the party who realizes he isn't the most charismatic in the most he is just drunk. I wonder if they'll go shameless like the transformers movies where they'll just keep steering towards he ground but make as much mad money on the way down. Bunny is a rider.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Filoni will do a treatment for episodes 10 through 12 with the main character of Star Wars, Ahsoka Tano.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

im so glad they're making a prequel limited series to the prequel movie that served as a bridge between the other prequels and the original.

e: who watched "rogue one" and came out of it saying "wow what rich and memorable characters, i wish i got to spend more time with them"?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing with Andor is I'm kinda sick of SW as bleak serious war story. Like Rogue One was fine, I enjoyed it, as a one off experiment. But like, I'm sick of the bleakness and wallowing in the brutality of the Empire and solemn statements of Rebellion and Resistance. Like yeah themes like that have been in the source material but there's also goofy Flash Gordon poo poo and the latter is what makes it fun.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They should really make a super gory disgusting goopy Star Wars monster movie

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

they should remake come and see but the little boy is a young version of dengar, the bounty hunter

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Maxwell Lord posted:

The thing with Andor is I'm kinda sick of SW as bleak serious war story. Like Rogue One was fine, I enjoyed it, as a one off experiment. But like, I'm sick of the bleakness and wallowing in the brutality of the Empire and solemn statements of Rebellion and Resistance. Like yeah themes like that have been in the source material but there's also goofy Flash Gordon poo poo and the latter is what makes it fun.

While all the other Disney films (and most of the series) are Bad Star Wars, the beauty of Rogue One is that it is Not Star Wars. It’s legitimately its own thing, despite whatever plot continuity. Like an alternate take on the same premise.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mantis42 posted:

they should remake come and see but the little boy is a young version of dengar, the bounty hunter

IG-88’s List

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Why would rian spend a decade trying to thread an impossible needle when he could make actual movies lol

The only guy to successfully graduate from star wars - he's not coming back

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Harrison Ford made it out and came back twice.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Sentencing rian to 10 years of hell to own *checks notes* the chuds

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

While all the other Disney films (and most of the series) are Bad Star Wars, the beauty of Rogue One is that it is Not Star Wars. It’s legitimately its own thing, despite whatever plot continuity. Like an alternate take on the same premise.

If Rogue One was a pure Star Wars knock off it would be universally recognized as a great sci fi movie in its own right.

Ingmar terdman posted:

Why would rian spend a decade trying to thread an impossible needle when he could make actual movies lol

The only guy to successfully graduate from star wars - he's not coming back

I wish he would graduate from film altogether.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Mantis42 posted:

e: who watched "rogue one" and came out of it saying "wow what rich and memorable characters, i wish i got to spend more time with them"?

I mean, Guardians of the Whills was a lot of fun with Baze and Chirrut arguing like an old married couple throughout it - I'd be down for more of that

"I need a new blaster."
"Use your old one."
"No."
"You still have your old one."
"Yes."
"So use your old one."
"No."
"The old one works perfectly well."
"The old one is a Guardian's weapon. And I am no longer a Guardian."
"Then you are making a choice."
"Yes, my choice is to find a new blaster."
"No, your choice is to be stubborn."
"My choice is to use a reliable blaster than an archaic lightbow."
"Your reliable blaster has proven to be unreliable."
"Which is why I need a new gun."
"Use your old one."
"Like so many conversations with you, we are now back where we started."
"You noticed that, did you?"
"You're very lucky I am your friend, you know that?"
"I do know that, though I wonder why you are saying this right now."
"I'm saying it now because I'm wondering why anyone would bother to put up with you."
"Ah. I often wonder the same thing about you."

"How is that working for you so far?"
"I am trying something new. I can overcharge single shots. It will be enough to take down the speeder."
"Effective."
"It may not work, which would be a problem."
"Because the speeder will get away?"
"Because the cannon may explode in my hands."
"I think I am going to find another place to wait."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mantis42 posted:

K2 was great.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't know if there's a better line from the whole Disney Star Wars project than "you are being rescued, please do not resist"

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Haven't watched Andor yet, how should I rank him starting the rebellion? Like is it better than when Han Solo started the rebellion in the film Solo, or when Obi Wan started the rebellion in the show Obi Wan, or when Jimmy Smits started the rebellion in the film Revenge of the Sith, or when Ahsoka started the rebellion in one of those other shows I didn't watch

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Obi-wan does very little in Obi-wan, least of all start any rebellions. At most he's present nearby, or shortly left.

e: also I feel crazy because I hated the robot in R1

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

Haven't watched Andor yet, how should I rank him starting the rebellion? Like is it better than when Han Solo started the rebellion in the film Solo, or when Obi Wan started the rebellion in the show Obi Wan, or when Jimmy Smits started the rebellion in the film Revenge of the Sith, or when Ahsoka started the rebellion in one of those other shows I didn't watch

you will soon learn that the rebel alliance to restore the republic is actually an alliance of a bunch of unrelated rebellions so your point isnt as clever as you think

i think its actually broadly effective to show people of different ilks independently deciding to resist fascism

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Mostly I just think it's unfair that we have seven different versions of the rebellion starting but only like three versions of the death star plans being stolen and the Kyle Katarn one isn't even canon anymore

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wolfsheim posted:

Mostly I just think it's unfair that we have seven different versions of the rebellion starting but only like three versions of the death star plans being stolen and the Kyle Katarn one isn't even canon anymore

They moved the plans to Scarif after they heard Katarn was looking for them (he just wanted to talk about them)

Why do you think they put a shield around an entire planet if not to keep his beard at bay?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Vinylshadow posted:

They moved the plans to Scarif after they heard Katarn was looking for them (he just wanted to talk about them)

Why do you think they put a shield around an entire planet if not to keep his beard at bay?

"Your shields will fall!" - Kyle Katarn, having a quick shave.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Also i can't help but feel star Wars is incredibly out of date with its war motifs. Jedha as Iraq analogue was closer to the mark but still hopelessly out of date in 2016. Not that an American Hollywood film could ever really be 'up to date' with war motifs because of the involvement of the US military there and also what does up to date even mean god I don't know I brought it up. I think I mean, give me a star Wars based on war through the lense of David Bowie black Star oil is a sentient god which has already eaten the sun kind of poo poo. I guess when you look at modern sci fi like the culture series or Egan or the three body problem it kind of shows just how far behind star Wars is stuck.

But I'm a freak who actually liked the yugong vong (sp?) because having a powerful enemy faction that can't be affected by the force is at least interesting on paper?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The absolute best thing about it is that they kill off literally the entire cast.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Rogue One would’ve been better if there were two big towers right next to each other on Scarif. Instead of just one. Then there could be, you see, ‘more subtext’

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The absolute best thing about it is that they kill off literally the entire cast.

going back in my time machine to tell Lucas to do this for RotJ

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

YaketySass posted:

going back in my time machine to tell Lucas to do this for RotJ

Hell, didn't Harrison Ford originally want Lucas to kill off Han in Jedi anyway?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Lampsacus posted:

Also i can't help but feel star Wars is incredibly out of date with its war motifs. Jedha as Iraq analogue was closer to the mark but still hopelessly out of date in 2016. Not that an American Hollywood film could ever really be 'up to date' with war motifs because of the involvement of the US military there and also what does up to date even mean god I don't know I brought it up. I think I mean, give me a star Wars based on war through the lense of David Bowie black Star oil is a sentient god which has already eaten the sun kind of poo poo. I guess when you look at modern sci fi like the culture series or Egan or the three body problem it kind of shows just how far behind star Wars is stuck.

But I'm a freak who actually liked the yugong vong (sp?) because having a powerful enemy faction that can't be affected by the force is at least interesting on paper?

I think the reference point for Jedha was the French occupation of Algeria, actually. Or at least the version that exists in the popular imagination as a result of the Battle of Algiers movie. Sucks that a lot of the Jedha stuff got cut.

The point about American misadventures in Iraq/Afghanistan as a reference point is interesting. I think DUNE did a better riff on it that anything else that comes to mind recently but I do wonder how much gas is left in that tank. Given recent events I think we probably start seeing more stuff influenced by the Russian invasion of Ukraine and other more regional conflicts, which could go all kinds of ways.

Definitely agree that they should've kept the Yuzkong Vong around as threats. Those books were inconsistent but there was some solid stuff in there to build a bunch of movies around.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The yuuzhan vong series ultimately deserves its bad rap because the first half (~10 books!!!!!) is such a miserable tedious dirge. There is some pretty cool stuff in the back half though and the way the tide turns felt very satisfying and epic in an earned way after the endless suffering. It also has a pretty good and interesting moral arc that I think completely went over the heads of most readers.

Anyway approaching 10 years into the disney regime there is still no indication anyone there can or will read a book much less 20 of them, so I feel like if they brought them back it would be in the most surface level aesthetic, exterminate the brutes way imaginable

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

I think the reference point for Jedha was the French occupation of Algeria, actually. Or at least the version that exists in the popular imagination as a result of the Battle of Algiers movie. Sucks that a lot of the Jedha stuff got cut.

The point about American misadventures in Iraq/Afghanistan as a reference point is interesting. I think DUNE did a better riff on it that anything else that comes to mind recently but I do wonder how much gas is left in that tank. Given recent events I think we probably start seeing more stuff influenced by the Russian invasion of Ukraine and other more regional conflicts, which could go all kinds of ways.

One of the things that makes the originals interesting is that they're counter-cultural in a way that was possible back in the day that doesn't seem to exist anymore. It's kind of cool to see rebels in the Star Wars version of conical hats take potshots at Darth Vader and blow up the toys churned out by his military-industrial complex. It's cool to see the stormtroopers/clone troopers march off to fight the war on terror the clone wars while half the main cast goes "gee I don't know if this is a good idea" and the Imperial March plays. It's a touch transgressive and there's a real authorial point of view you can vibe with or disagree if that's your thing idunno

Meanwhile Patty Jenkins climbing from an F16 into an X-Wing or thinly veiled references to Emperor Vladimir Putin will just make you feel like you're consuming the same gruel you get anytime you turn on cable news. And this is Disney, they're gonna go for it, but if even your escapist space opera is super concerned with feeding you The Correct Opinions you will probably be at least a little bored and dissatisfied

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mat Cauthon posted:

Definitely agree that they should've kept the Yuzkong Vong around as threats. Those books were inconsistent but there was some solid stuff in there to build a bunch of movies around.

I'm trying to find it now but I think at one point an effects or design person for Rogue One said outright that initially the empire was going to have hover tanks in that scene but they wanted to more specifically evoke the US military with it by giving them the treads/look they ended up with which really stood out to me as unusual for something made even when R1 was being made because like HaitianDivorce said, the previous trilogies worked in a way you wouldn't really be able to do now.

I've been really curious to see how part 2 of this version of Dune is handled too.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Rogue One show S1 is evidently structured as a quadrilogy of prequel films. Woooooo

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Rogue One show S1 is evidently structured as a quadrilogy of prequel films. Woooooo

And the second season is going to be the same thing, where each 3 episode block spans 1 year.

Also everyone watch Andor, its unlike any of the other D+ star wars shows and it FUCKS. Feels more like an HBO MAX prestige show, the writing is actually snappy, good, and complex.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yeah, but it's, like, Andor.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, but it's, like, Andor.

First 3 episodes are insanely good. I had really high expectations and the show crushed them and said "gently caress YOU ENJOY THIS A LOT" and so I did.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jerkface posted:

Also everyone watch Andor, its unlike any of the other D+ star wars shows and it FUCKS. Feels more like an HBO MAX prestige show, the writing is actually snappy, good, and complex.

teagone posted:

First 3 episodes are insanely good. I had really high expectations and the show crushed them and said "gently caress YOU ENJOY THIS A LOT" and so I did.

I love all my friends here in the CD Star Wars discussion thread and I have the highest respect for all of your opinions

but, uh,

y'all do know that I have pattern recognition, right?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Watching Andor I was like, oh yeah Star Wars is actually pretty cool.

e: I liked the big guy with the hammers and his early morning anvil smashing alarm clock routine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think I'll wait and see if the ending ends up cashing any of the cheques the early episodes set up, serial sci-fi shows generally and Star Wars specifically have had a pretty bad track record on that recently