Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i wish it was on xbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i heard you can do some kind of geforce now thing on xbox and run fire pro through that. but i don't know what any of that is or if it works. probably doesn't work or make any sense and costs $285. that's life

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Thanks for the heads up on the sale, I only had the base game (still trying to get my timings right!) but got every DLC for $20 which was a pretty sweet deal. Excited to try the management mode.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Lengthy cpu vs cpu video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goHYOzdCfBU&t=50s

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is the speed manipulated? They seem to move wicked fast when striking/executing moves then move normal speed when they're selling or walking. It's very jarring.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's a very arcadey game. probably went with extremely fast & hard hits to look more impactful and impressive at first glance. they will probably end up changing it in game #2 after feedback. if this game had been in early access on steam they could have released a goty contender just like divinity: original sin 2 and baldur's gate 3

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

SO I just noticed that this has "signature" and "special" in the Spirit meter, so I guess it'll be like VPW2 finisher/super finisher deal, which is AWESOME.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
I'm just hoping the game has a good GM mode, for people like me who have no interest in button- mashing a lot of the time, but who enjoy simming their own little outlaw mudshows

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

EdsTeioh posted:

SO I just noticed that this has "signature" and "special" in the Spirit meter, so I guess it'll be like VPW2 finisher/super finisher deal, which is AWESOME.

Each character has up to five finishers/sigs. They showed a little bit of that at Gamescom.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Sgtviper_Gaming/status/1571241655830810629

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

IGgy IGsen posted:

Each character has up to five finishers/sigs. They showed a little bit of that at Gamescom.

Right, those are the dedicated slots though; What I mean here is that the meter itself actually changes, so that probably unlocks a different set of moves, like how you got the Burning Hammer and such in VPW2.

EDIT: We may be saying the same thing here.

thatguyclint
Apr 11, 2005
See, I didn't know that...ducks eat for free at Subway.

EdsTeioh posted:

Right, those are the dedicated slots though; What I mean here is that the meter itself actually changes, so that probably unlocks a different set of moves, like how you got the Burning Hammer and such in VPW2.

EDIT: We may be saying the same thing here.

So in this case, the mechanic is almost the same as the Finisher/Super Finisher; you build up Spirit until it's flashing, taunt and you go into Signature mode. Wrestlers have up to 5 Signatures in their move set; once you hit one while in that mode, then taunt again, then you're into Finisher mode, and have up to 5 Finishers that you can choose from.

Differences:
1. You can't get Signature and taunt straight into Finisher like you could in VPW2
2. You're not limited to one use of Finisher like you were Super Special in VPW2

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

thatguyclint posted:

So in this case, the mechanic is almost the same as the Finisher/Super Finisher; you build up Spirit until it's flashing, taunt and you go into Signature mode. Wrestlers have up to 5 Signatures in their move set; once you hit one while in that mode, then taunt again, then you're into Finisher mode, and have up to 5 Finishers that you can choose from.

Differences:
1. You can't get Signature and taunt straight into Finisher like you could in VPW2
2. You're not limited to one use of Finisher like you were Super Special in VPW2

AHHH got it! This is still v cool!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Why is striking so drat finicky in fpw

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

im new and have ten hours clocked so far and I still havent gotten the hang of it at all

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've played Fire Pro for almost two and a half hours and still haven't done a fight.

And the 11 Billion CAW downloads look like they're gonna be a hassle to navigate

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Hello, it's me I'm the person that likes* striking in FPW

* Using strikes to interrupt moves that other characters are doing. Yes I only play Battle Royales why do you ask

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Crossposting from the misc Best Of thread: Snoop Dogg vs David Arquette for the WGGP Mutiversal Championship absolutely crazy and possibly the best match they've done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJtjgXLBx9E&t=260s

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Striking in Fire Pro games is a skill that takes a while to build and even with practice most people never get very good at it. It's usually more productive to use striking moves from front grapple if you're playing.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

Even the AI routinely whiffs strikes in fire pro

Then again it also misses dives.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've done about four fights in the tutorial missions, just win the fight mission, which I haven't managed. The two hours spent against the practice dummy helped but I've still done nothing but grapples, submission holds (that I don't know how I managed,) and two count pins. The game is great. When you pull something off you feel amazing, even though I'm still doing the basic stuff. And there's a real sense of progress as you get more comfortable with things and then try to figure out how you did something else and slowly incorporate it.

My plan is to both get this mission's pin, try something from the top turnbuckle and try one of those running moves or rope moves. Although that they changed the character from the dummy practice to a different wrestler in the fight is a bit of an upset, because I'm not sure what moves I have.

Still, best game I've gotten in a while, at least for the first few hours. There's a lot of skill involved and only occassionally do you feel like the game is cheating you (which it absolutely isn't.)

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Even the AI routinely whiffs strikes in fire pro

Then again it also misses dives.

Use the mod that allows Criticals on missed dives. :discourse:

For strikes you should use the RT "rotate/encircle and focus on the opponent" button. But it's still no guarantee.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Mrenda posted:

I've done about four fights in the tutorial missions, just win the fight mission, which I haven't managed. The two hours spent against the practice dummy helped but I've still done nothing but grapples, submission holds (that I don't know how I managed,) and two count pins. The game is great. When you pull something off you feel amazing, even though I'm still doing the basic stuff. And there's a real sense of progress as you get more comfortable with things and then try to figure out how you did something else and slowly incorporate it.

My plan is to both get this mission's pin, try something from the top turnbuckle and try one of those running moves or rope moves. Although that they changed the character from the dummy practice to a different wrestler in the fight is a bit of an upset, because I'm not sure what moves I have.

Still, best game I've gotten in a while, at least for the first few hours. There's a lot of skill involved and only occassionally do you feel like the game is cheating you (which it absolutely isn't.)

Fire Pro makes you feel incredible once it clicks.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I think it was mentioned before, but any recommendations for good creators in Fire Pro?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Kvlt! posted:

Is the speed manipulated? They seem to move wicked fast when striking/executing moves then move normal speed when they're selling or walking. It's very jarring.

Welcome to YUKES

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

Isometric perspective on 2D actors is awful for melee unless there’s some sort of grid that makes sense of space (which would necessitate a turn-based system). They seem to make grappling “stickier” but don’t extend that to striking, and dives are just stupid.

Nobody would ever fund its development but I’d bet a turn-based wrestling game would scratch a very specific itch for several dozen gamers. I know the TEW guys basically have a text-based one but it sucks even before you get to the flattening of space.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

Welcome to YUKES

More seriously, this is a design thing that’s gone back to like, the SMACKDOWN games which are the foundation of YUKES design. And as bad as YUKES is, it’s a pretty hard problem to nail down. The discrepancy in speed is because guys doing moves and guys going through the space of the ring are two different systems: two actors free-moving around the ring can engage one another from more angles / perspectives than even the most robust animation system can reliably accommodate.

What happens when you throw a haymaker at a target’s 7 o’clock, rather than their 12? You can use a ragdoll physics system that will be fairly dynamic but look goofy and unrealistic (think of the old Fight Night games when a guy got knocked down) or you can dictate that a certain move when it connects will always look a certain way, or a limited number of potential ways.

So you necessarily switch from free movement to a fixed animation from whatever configuration of bodies initiates the hit or grapple. That switch is what you’re seeing. It’s hard to hide. Or you just ignore the problem, and you get SMACKDOWN striking where guys always flop on the ground in the same way when you kick them, like they’re bouncing on a trampoline. A more frenetic, arcade-y gameplay design.

With later “simulationist” 2K games, YUKES’s solution to the problem was to incorporate more and better positioning animations so that the actors could better synchronize with all the different angles from which they could act relative to one another. Targets will make little adjustments to their positioning to get hit in a way that seems relatively plausible, or when you get on the top rope they’ll writhe into position on the ground to take a splash (as they would irl). But even that has its limits - springboard moves or air catches, things that happen really quickly, still involve that “turn 40 degrees on a swivel in .2 seconds” weirdness. The problem with the simulationist approach is that it slows everything down, which people didn’t really like.

No Mercy was kind of a between point, imo, moving pretty slowly but not bothering to hide how a strong grapple will slide wrestlers around on their feet like those old magnetic football games, etc. The handmade animations / foley sound design did all the work in making everything feel really tactile even when the game was not strictly simulationist, and the actual game design was near-perfect and always engaging, give or take having to kite and cheese in handicap matches.

Gameplay excuses everything, if it’s good enough. YUKES has never made a game that’s been that good. I don’t expect them to start.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

The thing with strikes in fire pro is more that they have pretty precise hitboxes. You can see them in movecraft and it doesn't look like it because you look at it and go "Oh, that makes sense, it even goes a little over to be forgiving". Here's an example.

But the fact is that your opponent, who is moving around, has to be in a specific place for the move to work. Not too far away, not too close. Most other games forego minimum range for most moves, Fire Pro doesn't. It's a lot more about proper positioning than with most games, on top of that the timing has to be right. The hitbox is not active for long. Only for one "form" which can last anywhere between 1 and 99 frames but the thing is it's mostly 2-8 frames.

I can get them more or less right whenever I have to play to get something done (which mostly is testing a move I'm creating because I only sim otherwise) but I wouldn't say I'm consistent at all.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 18, 2022

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

the way to figure out striking in fire pro is easy, just start playing emulated super fire pro premium 24 years ago and you’ll have it down pat in 2022

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
When I was playing the NJPW story modes, I wouldn't bother with any strike slower than a jab unless the opponent was already dazed. If I remember right Big grapples will have the opponent stand up dazed, or you can put some moves in that leave the opponent in a standing dazed state by default.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

In fire pro, the direction you press for a move changes it's properties. I think the down one always has the opponent get up dazed but it's too much for me to remember since I don't even play the game I just wanna look at it, blissfully unaware of how difficult it can be to play.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/MonsterBrunch/status/1571558886964088834

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

1/16, i wish people would stick to the 5 star system

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I'm a filthy casual wrestling gamer and I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do in Wrestling Empire that involves all this extra content. I keep reading that you can train and raise stats and stuff but I have no idea how to do any of that. I've left the building and gone into town before and I've even gone to the gym but I have no idea how you're supposed to do anything. The only thing I figured out how to do is sleep at the hotel

But my big problem is the time limit. Whenever you go into running around mode or whatever it's called, there's always a time limit for you to get back to the arena on time for your match and it's never enough time for me to run around and truly explore. Is there a free roam mode with no time limit? And what do I do to train and raise stats? Oh and can you eat the food on the ground to regain health? I can pick it up but none of the buttons do anything other than throw it or try to use it like a weapon

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

i think you gotta taunt while holding the objects to "use" them in freeroam mode

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

There are some funny bits in this if you read them certain ways.

A criticism of the game or the real AEW?

Bobby Fish would disagree:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

JUNGLE BOY posted:

1/16, i wish people would stick to the 5 star system
lol

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Silly Burrito posted:

I think it was mentioned before, but any recommendations for good creators in Fire Pro?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1095476168

Avenger is the gold standard

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

That review makes the game sound perfect for me. When this mfer comes out I'm gonna so happy to beat you all up online :')

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i hope many of the 'taunts' available are little semi-idling animations like fixing your hair or adjusting boots rather than having to raise your arms or do the cut throat like 10 times in a match because it helps you keep your momentum. both can be in there at the same time so nobody loses if you do want to do the "suck it" 15 times