Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

bloodysabbath posted:

The Virgin WWE Title Upcoming Lineage:

Roman Reigns > Logan Paul > Bad Bunny > Pete Davidson > Kanye West > The Rock > Roman Reigns > Kim Kardashian > Reggie > Some TikTok girl who does dances > Randy Orton

The Chad AEW Title Upcoming Lineage:

Bryan > MJF > Mox > HOOK > Hangman > Adam Cole BB > Kenneth Omega > PAC (heel turn) > Starks

AEW Dynamite airs Wednesday nights on TBS.

Bad Bunny laying down for Skete Davidson would be the worst WWE booking decision in decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

24/7 champ JoeysWorldTour

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
wwe making their world title intergender would be more chad than just men holding titles for men

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Finally, a man worthy of defeating roman

EDIT: I'm not sure how to make the image smaller/expandable, sorry it's so big

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

So he couldn’t draw a dime,huh?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

How many guitars did he break?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Majinfoose posted:

He actually said PAWG, I googled it after he said it, you should too.

I always thought it meant Plain not :yosbutt:

It also took me 36 years to understand all the Bret Hart referenes - Sharpshooter, Excellence of Execution, The Hitman. And he's my hero since birth :canada: ... :smith:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
HHH lookin like a million bucks!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is there no October PPV where Roman might lose his title and ruin this main event

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is there no October PPV where Roman might lose his title and ruin this main event

he's not on the october ppv

bartok
May 10, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

yeah all green and wrinkly

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Happy to see things worked out for Big Strongmin.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

Golden Bee posted:

He will be accidentally killed by the Rock’s robot

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0NgUhEs1R4

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

logan paul being the one to finally defeat roman would be perfect and I hope they do it

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Orange Carlisle posted:

logan paul being the one to finally defeat roman would be perfect and I hope they do it

I'd agree except I don't really like how he got pushed so fast because of his celebrity power moreso than his technical wrestling/character (not to say he isn't talented, but he certainly wouldn't be where he is without his last name). I feel the same way about Rousey.

His older brother Jake is actually a decent boxer who takes the sport seriously, but again, he's selling out PPV's bc of his celebrity not his talent and while I appreciate the income/interest it generates, it does make me worry that wrestling (or in Jake's case, boxing), will start promoting celebrities over the dudes who have worked their entire lives towards getting into WWE/another combat sport promotion.

Imo Jake and Logan should have had to start at the bottom of boxing/WWE respectively, but I understand their $$$ making power pushes them up.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Orange Carlisle posted:

Hell yeah, book it coward Paul.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

I'd agree except I don't really like how he got pushed so fast because of his celebrity power moreso than his technical wrestling/character (not to say he isn't talented, but he certainly wouldn't be where he is without his last name). I feel the same way about Rousey.

His older brother Jake is actually a decent boxer who takes the sport seriously, but again, he's selling out PPV's bc of his celebrity not his talent and while I appreciate the income/interest it generates, it does make me worry that wrestling (or in Jake's case, boxing), will start promoting celebrities over the dudes who have worked their entire lives towards getting into WWE/another combat sport promotion.

Imo Jake and Logan should have had to start at the bottom of boxing/WWE respectively, but I understand their $$$ making power pushes them up.

Roman got pushed to the moon before he was ready. It’s all fake and built on nepotism I’m sorry.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Invalid Validation posted:

Roman got pushed to the moon before he was ready. It’s all fake and built on nepotism I’m sorry.

just to be clear boxing is almost as fake as wrestling

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

"but Roman got pushed too" does not negate anything I said.

"That's the way the industry is". I know, that's why I want it to change.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I appreciate that you're trying to make all of it actually make sense but this is wwe so rooting for the funniest option will get you the most entertainment

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I don't think it can. Entertainment frequently defers to spectacle. Wrestling revels in it. WWE was literally built on it.
And of course the problem with applying meritocracy to entertainment is that all too frequently the money goes to the biggest spectacle, not the best talent. Which then bends in on itself and makes you ask 'Is the one who makes the most money the best talent? Since that's the job afterall'
People as a collective...arn't terribly receptive to artisanship.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Those are all good points. It's kinda silly of me to expect meritocracy from sports enterainment as opposed to a sport. I think my point still applies to Jake, however.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea I get it but they’ve trained their audience to not give a poo poo about the actual wrestling. Least there’s more options now.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Roman Reigns v Logan Paul at Blood Money is a word for word joke we would've made here about four years ago.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I don't know much about Paul's celebrity, although I've heard about it. I know I've seen him in two matches and he was very good in them and he has more charisma and is a better talker than most of the roster so it seems fine to me. Unless the argument he was supposed to spend a decade in the performance center paying his dues or something

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Kvlt! posted:

Those are all good points. It's kinda silly of me to expect meritocracy from sports enterainment as opposed to a sport. I think my point still applies to Jake, however.

It's not however silly to wish for it.
Spectacle over meritocracy kinda sucks

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

It's not however silly to wish for it.
Spectacle over meritocracy kinda sucks

For sure, I agree. I think my problem is less wirh Logan Paul specifically, as I said he's actually talented, but more concern that the trend of enlisting celebrities rather than building up one's own roster/character will become a larger trend.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

No matter how good the booking in WWE becomes it's going to take awhile for them to rehabilitate their faces from years of Vince's visceral, primal evil.
Besides: What happens in SA is completely irrelevant anyway. If anybody took any amount of pride in their work on those shows I'd be ashamed of them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

The_Rob posted:

Logan Paul is the next wwe champion. lol

:stoked:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

1glitch0 posted:

hunter looks like poo poo

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Young Orc

still great

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

No one is beating Roman, not even Logan Paul, but the idea of Logan Paul vs Cody is so funny, so much funnier than a Roman match.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Logan Paul should be WWE champion, it's been 22 years since we had a world champion with celebrity representation

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Logan Paul’s no Action Bronson.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Roman vs Logan is the perfect Saudi match because it's a completely absurd spectacle that has a chance of being a complete disaster and most likely won't matter at all, but on the other hand if they did have him beat Roman is would be the funniest poo poo possible and the collective internet meltdown would be exquisite.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

At the end of the day are you going to make more money with Roman as champ or Logan Paul? Roman’s not a draw, mediocre in the ring, and his whole shtick has gotten boring and old. gently caress it, at this point putting the belt on Paul would generate some buzz beyond what they’re getting now (nothing)

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

does anyone know when Drew Gulak’s contract is up? I dunno if he’s comfortable with being a WWE lifer or wanting to transition to a backstage role but I am suddenly craving a Gulak v Angelico match

dude is too good for WWE istg

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the escape goat posted:

does anyone know when Drew Gulak’s contract is up? I dunno if he’s comfortable with being a WWE lifer or wanting to transition to a backstage role but I am suddenly craving a Gulak v Angelico match

dude is too good for WWE istg

he does loads of backstage work already, he was agenting loads of Sasha Banks’ matches. He’s great at it.

Her Dryer
Oct 15, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

No I've been thinking about this too.

Celebrities/non-wrestlers have been getting way better at the actual wrestling part of wrestling in the last decade or so. The Green Arrow guy, Bad Bunny, Logan Paul, and you could arguably put Rousey there despite her background obviously lending itself well to pro wrestling. They're all usually young, athletic, enthusiastic and respectful to the business and willing to work hard on putting a good match on. All of their debuts have been way, way better than expected, genuinely entertaining in a vacuum, and drawing eyes on the product.

And yet I still really, really, really hate celebrities getting pushed, because it totally undermines the sport in kayfabe. I can accept Rousey being booked strong, but when an actor, a rapper and a loving youtuber can come in and clown on your veteran, established, multi-time champion guys then it makes your company of professional wrestlers look like chumps. The quality of the match is irrelevant to this point, really.

I'll also admit I'm just always annoyed at WWE's shameless courting of wider popular culture, which always come across as embarrassing and futile to me.

I said above the matches were entertaining in a vacuum because that's the only way I can justify the celeb matches in my head: one-off events that we can enjoy detached from larger context and then forget outside of "remember when Bad Bunny did a Canadian Destroyer". It's almost like you can imagine it as non-canon. Logan Paul getting a title shot feels like it's overstepping a boundary in that regard. I guess the Saudi Arabia main events have always had an air of not quite canon to them though so maybe it's not so bad??

I do not think Logan Paul is going to win, but I absolutely expect him to be a belt holder by maybe his 5th match at most, and that makes me a little sad not just because he's a oval office, but because of what it says about WWE's relationship with popular culture at large.

OK maybe we are overthinking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
It's still amazing just how badly WWE hosed up Damage CTRL in a month's time. The group had a decent amount of buzz heading out of Summerslam, so they capitalized on it by...having them constantly chumped out by Bianca on an almost weekly basis, and struggling to beat even absolute jobbers like Tamina and Dana. It doesn't help that feuding with Bianca is pretty much a death sentence for another woman's/group's credibility if they aren't already fully established.