Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

IGgy IGsen posted:

That's how I took it too. And thought it was funny.
Not even 100% positive that's the post that's being referred to here because I really wish people stopped vagueposting.
No idea who that poster was or what they said last week though.

last week they made a lovely post about how kenny should officially come out as bi, which they did get probated for (rightfully, because nobody should ever get pressured to come out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

I don't really blame people for not being up to date on Kenny Bisexuality Discourse but its just the classic thing where for anyone to be queer rep they have to state that they're bi or gay specifically every 15 minutes or people will immediately smash cut to claiming that they're not /really/ queer/.

Combining this with the idea that anyone who has a specific sexuality has to make a big deal about coming out, the way bisexual men are treated in general and not to mention the gross stuff of claiming that bi people are gay when they're in a gay relationship and straight in a straight one are all pretty lovely but as a bi person I don't really expect any of that to be handled even with how far things have come in recent years in terms of lgbtqa+ stuff.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

flatluigi posted:

last week they made a lovely post about how kenny should officially come out as bi, which they did get probated for (rightfully, because nobody should ever get pressured to come out)

Yep, that sucks.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Honestly don't care where anyone sticks it, or with whom, as long as it's legal and consensual.

I thought that joke was funny. Still do actually, despite whatever was said in the past.

If you're going to call out someone at least link to the post. This vagueposting poo poo is tedious.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Mocking someone's sexuality is not tolerated, even speculation is not something I'm comfortable with. Unless it's something like Bowen's recent interview or part of a (non-gross) gimmick probably shouldn't even enter the discussion. Might throw something in the rules thread just to clarify.

The post in a vacuum is fine imo but with the past probe I can absolutely see it being a bother so I apologize for signal boosting as well.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

E: Wrong thread

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that post seemed like a real joke with a legitimate punchline about the definitions of a prefix, as opposed to a lovely insult that was "not serious" and trying to pass as a joke. but it seems like there is history from the user harping on the same subject recently and the first time was not a real joke, which sucked and makes the second joke concerning even to someone who has the opinion i just shared. someone's sexuality isn't something to turn into a well to go to, and shouldn't be the actual point of japeing around. that's for dang sure!

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Sep 17, 2022

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

flatluigi posted:

i think the thread didn't realize that the joke was coming from the same person who got bopped in the previous thread b/c as a Fellow Queer Person i didn't read it as a biphobic joke but instead a joke about misreading 'bisexual' as meaning 'only ever having had two relationships,' which would be an absolutely fine joke if that was the actual intent

Several queer folks view it as biphobic brought it up but said they didn't feel comfortable complaining about it given the tone of the thread encouraging/applauding those sort of jokes. I however wasn't so worried about upsetting folks who think that sort of joke is funny because its a lovely joke, it was a joke they repeated after getting probed, and it does nothing but make people feel their sexuality is either a butt of a joke, or should be forced to reveal etc. its dumb and bad.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I know Critical jumped in earlier in the thread to shut down the incessant speculation over someone’s sexuality, and maybe we can all just agree as a group to not make jokes that may be questionable especially after people were being real loving weird earlier in the same thread.

The fact this had to happen is pretty sad tbqh.

But yes Critical, and other mods, please go and do more to prevent this sort of stuff in the future.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 17, 2022

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Gonna be honest, I nodded in approval when I thought it was the "bi means he's gay sometimes" post, which I thought was leagues worse than the joke.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Senerio posted:

Gonna be honest, I nodded in approval when I thought it was the "bi means he's gay sometimes" post, which I thought was leagues worse than the joke.

I didn't see that post but yeah that's also bad.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Senerio posted:

If we're probing bad takes from last week, holy poo poo this needs to be addressed.

Also, why weren't these reported? Then they could have been looked at and probed instead of wasting space here.

I missed this one, or else I would have.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't see the first post which was bad, but I'm bi and thought the second post was harmless, more 'silly' than 'offensive'. However, others are free to disagree if it made them uncomfortable.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Walla posted:

If we're probing bad takes from last week, holy poo poo this needs to be addressed.

Also, why weren't these reported? Then they could have been looked at and probed instead of wasting space here.

I missed this one, or else I would have.

I know I reported the post I was referencing and Junpei went in and gave another probe to the offender for their second joke of that sort in a week or so.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

I believe all relevant issues have been handled. I also threw in a line in the rules thread about not discussing a wrestler's sexuality unless it's relevant. Coming out, getting engaged, being part of a gimmick, etc.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
similarly i'm bi and thought the second post was whatever, though i get how some people might not like it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm a bi dude and thought the joke was funny which is why I didn't report it

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Shard posted:

Yeah this was where I was.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shard posted:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm a bi girl but yeah

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think it’s all been settled at this point so we probably don’t need to keep doing a roll call of who did and didn’t find it funny.

As mods well try to be better at not amplifying posts that could be taken the wrong way and as posters we can all try to stop talking about wrestlers’ sexuality per the updated rules.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

More moderation

No not like that

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

History Comes Inside! posted:

More moderation

No not like that

Yes, people don't like it when someone barges in to agitate about the tamest play on words you could do for the term "bi-sexual" while ignoring a far worse joke.

More moderation doesn't mean let comedy be stripped from the forum over "implications"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’m on team “it was a funny joke” fwiw, I just think it’s also funny that the first big act of ‘more moderation’ is one most people didn’t like at all.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

I’m on team “it was a funny joke” fwiw, I just think it’s also funny that the first big act of ‘more moderation’ is one most people didn’t like at all.

There's been increased mod intervention generally outside this thread that's been received well and this was hardly the biggest.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

I just think it’s also funny that the first big act of ‘more moderation’ is one most people didn’t like at all.

It's not so much that people asked for more moderation but more moderator presence and we got that. Much more using their voice than pressing buttons. it's pretty all right imo.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

the new mods have been doing a great job and I'm glad they're just saying 'hey, chill' before hitting the buttons because 9 times out of 10 that's all that's needed

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
thank you mods, i will never tell anyone if i thought the joke was funny, out of respect for you

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fez_machine posted:

Yes, people don't like it when someone barges in to agitate about the tamest play on words you could do for the term "bi-sexual" while ignoring a far worse joke.

More moderation doesn't mean let comedy be stripped from the forum over "implications"

Jesus wept, you're acting like this is a nefarious scheme by people trying to "ruin" the subforum.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 18, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mekchu posted:

Jesus wept, you're acting like this is a nefarious scheme by people trying to "ruin" the subforum.

No? You were off-base on calling out that particular joke even if the person posting it and the surrounding discussion sucked.

If anyone's using heightened rhetoric in this discussion it's you.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm pretty sure people were talking about why they thought the joke was fine before they knew it was coming from someone being a poo poo, not that they thought the person being a poo poo shouldn't have been punished

i'm still very okay with the direction moderation has been taking recently

edit:

fez_machine posted:

No? You were off-base on calling out that particular joke even if the person posting it and the surrounding discussion sucked.

they weren't off-base at all, they had a genuine issue because they remembered the person wasn't posting in good faith when people otherwise let it slip by

please don't spin this into 'you're the REAL problem for calling it out' because that's worse than anything else posted on this subject in this thread

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Sep 18, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

flatluigi posted:

please don't spin this into 'you're the REAL problem for calling it out' because that's worse than anything else posted on this subject in this thread

I don't think they're the real problem, the real problem is indeed the poster they were complaining about.

Mekchu does use heightened rhetoric and shoots from the hip though and the wrong post caught a stray which undermined their point.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
sometimes posts that would otherwise be whatever are worth getting bopped for because of the poster's history. they also only got bopped for six hours for the joke starting at ~4am eastern so they might not even know they got probated

like, we're coming off of moderation that would give days to a week for nearly nothing. a 6h for jumping back on a subject you just got rightfully hit for a day for a lovely post about is fine and good

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fez_machine posted:

Myself and other people within the subforum found it to be gross and offensive. Some of them are bisexual, not that that needs to matter in saying a joke is OK or not OK.

The person making the joke has a history of going "lol @ bisexual people" and repeating that same sort of joke shouldn't be tolerated. It's off putting to a lot of people.

If you think that people who were put off by that "joke" and brought it up in the rules thread (some of whom are LBTQ+ folks who felt so uneasy about bringing it up themselves because of the history of knee-jerk reactions targeting people who bring this sort of stuff up and asked me to post on their behalf) are here to "agitate" then you can put us on ignore so you don't have to be so hurt by us bringing up our problems with the threads in the rules thread.

Literally this sort of stuff is what makes some people not want to participate in those threads and you're doing a fantastic job at highlighting it.

fez_machine posted:

Mekchu does use heightened rhetoric and shoots from the hip though and the wrong post caught a stray which undermined their point.

Please feel free to point out the "heightened rhetoric" used in my post bringing up the "lol bisexual" joke being gross and off putting to not only myself but other posters. The same posters who didn't feel comfortable enough posting about it here because of this sort of reaction you're on.

fez_machine posted:

This is why I don't like implications analysis

Here's you doing just that:

fez_machine posted:

Yes, people don't like it when someone barges in to agitate

So lol. gently caress off.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 18, 2022

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
This is why I don't like implications analysis, nowhere have I said there was a "real" problem, a conspiracy, or people trying to ruin anything.

People making up a guy and putting words in their mouth.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

arguing about the particulars of that litigation from earlier can take a long walk off one of my relatively short premie adult fingers, and that's Fully implied. just kidding. speak your truth. but try listening to this band... it's called, Bad Faith No More!

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

If the post bothered people, it bothered people. There's nothing histrionic about a innocent looking joke that gets worse because the person has a history of jokes at the expense of others. And if you found it funny, that's fine too. No one is cross examining you.

And I think the thought we're sacrificing funny posts on the altar of moderation is not accurate at all. We had the best thread this forum has ever seen, like, ten days ago. The drama has died down a bit so people are getting bored and snippy but overall I feel everything is mostly fun and we still have funny posts. The fact that someone had to sit in the corner for six hours isn't going to change that.

This thread is very much on a "wait and see" basis and not guaranteed to stay open specifically because it can cause slapfights. I think it's good for the overall health of the forums but if we have to babysit it because it regularly turns into the the locker room at the NOW Arena it's going to go away for a while. Please stop biting each other.

Critical fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 18, 2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cavauro posted:

try listening to this band... it's called, Bad Faith No More!

No chance in hell

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mekchu posted:

Myself and other people within the subforum found it to be gross and offensive. Some of them are bisexual, not that that needs to matter in saying a joke is OK or not OK.

A point I'd like to build on this, because it kind of happened in the ROH thread a while ago regarding a criticism I made of cultural appropriation during the Gates of Agony entrance, is that there's a difference between asking for details for the purposes of building a discussion about the topic, and getting weird and litigating how much offence people are allowed to take. Seriously, how does that help or foster discussion? All it does it put people's backs up, and it inevitably leads to hostility.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

just post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Neodoomium posted:

Genuine question:

What's the point of the Ignore User feature when all of their lovely posts show up in other people's quotes anyway?

I know the answer is always "just ignore them." The forums don't actually have a working ignore mechanism.

There's an extension (TamperMonkey) with a true ignore user script for SA that works really well and was easy to add to my Chrome browser. Completely hides ignored user posts, including in non-ignored user quotes of them

My hope is one day the workaround won't be needed, like how there was a similar workaround for a dark mode version of the site for years until a bit ago when we finally got a dark mode feature setting for the site proper