Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Payndz posted:

Stallone was actually up in the mountains for filming, but anything involving him climbing was done with doubles or studio sets mixed with front projection. The shot at the start where he seems to be dangling from an overhang used the helicopter to hide a wipe between a set and the real location.

Rooker looked to be up on that peak for real, though. I guess less famous = easier insurance.

Your rear end is draggin'.

That's exactly the shot I was thinking of, smart editing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Cliffhanger has a UHD release too and it looks drat good. Normally you'd expect some of those effects to become more glaring on a UHD but they hold up very well.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

copyright on my original character Cashass Orgrass (tm)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Incidentally, I was reading the wiki for Cliffhanger and found this gem about the abandoned Stallone actioner Gale Force that preceded it:

Wikipedia posted:

Between 1990 and 1991 while they were working on the project, Carolco spent over $4 million on all the different screenwriters and versions of the script. One of the screenwriters who worked on it, Joe Eszterhas, was paid $500,000 to write his version. He re-wrote it as an erotic thriller, similar to his previous screenplays, so it was rejected.

Gale Force (plot: basically Cliffhanger's 'bad guys steal money but things go wrong' only in a hurricane rather than on a mountain) was dropped because it was budgeted at around $35m, but Harlin's ideas for the action sequences got too expensive. So they made Cliffhanger instead... for $70m.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Renny Harlin is pretty interesting. One of my favorite cheese classics is Adventures of Ford Fairlane. Right alongside Hudson Hawk, and they share writer Daniel Waters and producer Joel Silver too.

I've always been meaning to see Deep Blue Sea. I have seen and liked Deep Rising however.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Deep Blue Sea is the only other good shark movie next to jaws. It’s great

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Payndz posted:

Incidentally, I was reading the wiki for Cliffhanger and found this gem about the abandoned Stallone actioner Gale Force that preceded it:

Gale Force (plot: basically Cliffhanger's 'bad guys steal money but things go wrong' only in a hurricane rather than on a mountain) was dropped because it was budgeted at around $35m, but Harlin's ideas for the action sequences got too expensive. So they made Cliffhanger instead... for $70m.

It sounds like you’re describing Hard Rain.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pillowpants posted:

It sounds like you’re describing Hard Rain.
I suspect someone heard about Gale Force (which was written several years before Hard Rain, and because of who was involved would have been pretty high profile within Hollywood) and thought "Hey, that's a cool idea for a movie. Let's use it!"

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

CelticPredator posted:

Deep Blue Sea is the only other good shark movie next to jaws. It’s great

The Shallows is solid

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Payndz posted:

I suspect someone heard about Gale Force (which was written several years before Hard Rain, and because of who was involved would have been pretty high profile within Hollywood) and thought "Hey, that's a cool idea for a movie. Let's use it!"

this was the era of "Die Hard On a X", when everyone in the world was writing a movie that had the hero trapped in a small location with the bad guy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hard Rain is a solid flick. You could do a lot worse on a stormy night.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You could always watch Black Rain, Black Rain is dope

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Renny Harlin is pretty interesting. One of my favorite cheese classics is Adventures of Ford Fairlane. Right alongside Hudson Hawk, and they share writer Daniel Waters and producer Joel Silver too.

I've always been meaning to see Deep Blue Sea. I have seen and liked Deep Rising however.

Really didn't like Hudson Hawk. Just the type of wackiness that really doesn't resonate with me (when the comedy isn't actually funny).

Deep Rising loving rocks tho. Stephen Sommers best poo poo. He had a great run. That, the Mummy, even the first GI JOE.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

You could always watch Black Rain, Black Rain is dope

Black Rain is a great vehicle for prime Michael Douglas being a whiny lovely cop. And does good on the, now tired trope, of maverick American cop partnered with stoic foreign cop and they gotta work together to get the job done.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wish I liked Black Rain more than I do. I've tried to love it because I mean come on it's Ridley Scott shooting a movie in Japan. And it does look great but I've watched it twice and each time I have trouble staying engaged as the movie goes on. It's a bit over 2 hours long so maybe there's a pacing issue there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, as much as I like Black Rain I'm pretty much thinking of the first half. It both peters out and drags.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Basebf555 posted:

Hard Rain is a solid flick. You could do a lot worse on a stormy night.

I rented Hard Rain from blockbuster because it had Mark Rolston in it who played Drake in aliens who was my favorite character and I watched it and it was good but I was bummed Mark Rolston was just like one of the goons and didnt really do much in the film.

Child Trebuchet
Sep 4, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/3lEiOFv.mp4

Child Trebuchet fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 16, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

what

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Anything good out recently? Last things I watched were RRR (great) and Prey (OK).

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I loved Carter on netflix, although many people hated it. Also really liked The Princess.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

dokmo posted:

I loved Carter on netflix, although many people hated it. Also really liked The Princess.

Oh yeah I forgot both of those. I liked the Princess a lot. Carter had some good ideas but I felt the execution was a little disappointing at times.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Princess was really fun. A great Die Hard-like film and you could tell everyone was having a great time making it. They did a lot with what budget they had.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was so busy last week I didn't even realize we lost an international treasure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZHBl-dIsHg

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Cyber Vengeance is a flick some of yall might enjoy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jimbot posted:

The Princess was really fun. A great Die Hard-like film and you could tell everyone was having a great time making it. They did a lot with what budget they had.

Quite fun, and I enjoyed the really goofy fight music. I thought it really bogged down by the second half as more characters got introduced. Also felt like olga didn't really get a good fight scene and felt robbed of not seeing her fight vs the mentor outside the kitchen.

Great flick though if you're trying to trick your spouse who wants to watch 'the princess' about diana of england

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

It really is an awful title. Gonna make a sequel to Collateral and just call it Collateral 2.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Man, Bullet Train was a bunch of dumb fun that totally worked for me. Loved that it was essentially an homage to Lock Stock in terms of dialog between the two ‘British’ guys, as well as the interrelationships between everyone involved. Pace kept up really nicely (altho because of that when I realized there was still 30m left towards the end I was a bit worn out) and everything fit together satisfyingly for me. If you buy into the silliness, it’s a solid watch for sure.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Scott Adkins interviewed Eric Jacobus on his most recent show, creator of excellent martial arts shorts over the years. Which led me to see what EJ is up to these days, and I see he made a really good video essay on screen kicking recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QlYP4IfyqU

The tldr of that is, surprisingly no one had put athletic kicks on screen until Bruce Lee came along. That is bonkers to me considering the amount of martial arts talent on film in the 60s.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

hoo boy

https://twitter.com/IsaacNabwana/status/1574301460220858368

Ramrod Hotshot fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 28, 2022

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

dokmo posted:

Scott Adkins interviewed Eric Jacobus on his most recent show, creator of excellent martial arts shorts over the years. Which led me to see what EJ is up to these days, and I see he made a really good video essay on screen kicking recently:

The tldr of that is, surprisingly no one had put athletic kicks on screen until Bruce Lee came along. That is bonkers to me considering the amount of martial arts talent on film in the 60s.

Awesome video. Cool kicks are what got me into martial arts and martial arts films when I was a kid.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I am confused by Bullet Trains critical reception. It was a lot of fun.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dokmo posted:

That's really interesting, especially that Lee wasn't really doing it in the Green Hornet.

I just watched Faster Pussycat Kill Kill for the first time ever, and it was fantastic. One thing that absolutely stood out was the fight scenes - I'd need to rewatch, but the lead got off some solid kicks to the midsection a few times. She also did a bunch of grappling. Really shocking to see since it came out in 1965!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

mastershakeman posted:

That's really interesting, especially that Lee wasn't really doing it in the Green Hornet.

I just watched Faster Pussycat Kill Kill for the first time ever, and it was fantastic. One thing that absolutely stood out was the fight scenes - I'd need to rewatch, but the lead got off some solid kicks to the midsection a few times. She also did a bunch of grappling. Really shocking to see since it came out in 1965!

It's really weird to know that Judo was basically "known" to Hollywood since the 40s and, imo, looks a hell of a lot better than two goobers throwing haymakers at each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlejMy9zLdI

I know this ain't exactly great to modern-day eyes but look at some other 40s action scenes, this absolutely crushes them. Grappling is great for fighting because they can actually do the moves and cheat the impacts way easier. Punches are always going to trend shittier unless the performers are absolute boss at it.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's really weird to know that Judo was basically "known" to Hollywood since the 40s and, imo, looks a hell of a lot better than two goobers throwing haymakers at each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlejMy9zLdI

That Cagney fight is great, but it didn't lead to anything, no one else took up the torch for some reason. I don't think we saw any more non-haymaker hollywood fights until the 70s.

But speaking of early film grappling, Akira Kurosawa's debut film Sanshiro Sugata, was about a rivalry between a judo player and jiu jitsu masters. You can see it here. It's not a great film, and the fights are curiously antiseptic, frequently cutting away from showing the techniques. I wonder if Japanese censors wanted to remove a lot of the perceived violence. As far as I'm aware, even though the movie had a sequel, it also did not lead to a wave of better hand-to-hand fights on film.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Grappling is great for fighting because they can actually do the moves and cheat the impacts way easier. Punches are always going to trend shittier unless the performers are absolute boss at it.

That's any interesting observation, I always thought it was the opposite, but for a different reason. I find that techniques for filming punches are simple, so simple that even the least interested directors can usually manage it. But filming grappling is much more technically challenging. If the viewer is not familiar with grappling, then the cause and effect of the various techniques is not immediately obvious (think of how the commentators of early UFC shows sometimes didn't know what was going on and why or if someone was in trouble)—I feel like it takes real skill to show how grappling techniques are causing effects on film.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 29, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

dokmo posted:

That Cagney fight is great, but it didn't lead to anything, no one else took up the torch for some reason. I don't think we saw any more non-haymaker hollywood fights until the 70s.

But speaking of early film grappling, Akira Kurosawa's debut film Sanshiro Sugata, was about a rivalry between a judo player and jiu jitsu masters. You can see it here. It's not a great film, and the fights are curiously antiseptic, frequently cutting away from showing the techniques. I wonder if Japanese censors wanted to remove a lot of the perceived violence. As far as I'm aware, even though the movie had a sequel, it also did not lead to a wave of better hand-to-hand fights on film.

That's any interesting observation, I always thought it was the opposite, but for a different reason. I find that techniques for filming punches are simple, so simple that even the least interested directors can usually manage it. But filming grappling is much more technically challenging. If the viewer is not familiar with grappling, then the cause and effect of the various techniques is not immediately obvious (think of how the commentators of early UFC shows sometimes didn't know what was going and why or if someone was in trouble)—I feel like it takes real skill to show how grappling techniques are causing effects on film.

I think that's why Aikido worked so well with Seagal - he had his students as the stunt team throwing themselves through every object in sight after they got their arm wrenched, and it translated to the screen really well.

edit oh poo poo jacobus is the death grip guy. awful movie but that faulty flushing toilet scene fight was more innovative than 95% of hollywood does. His interview is incredible about going from tech nerd teen to making a website about martial arts movies, to making martial arts movies with friends, etc. good for him

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 29, 2022

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

dokmo posted:

That's any interesting observation, I always thought it was the opposite, but for a different reason. I find that techniques for filming punches are simple, so simple that even the least interested directors can usually manage it. But filming grappling is much more technically challenging. If the viewer is not familiar with grappling, then the cause and effect of the various techniques is not immediately obvious (think of how the commentators of early UFC shows sometimes didn't know what was going on and why or if someone was in trouble)—I feel like it takes real skill to show how grappling techniques are causing effects on film.

This is sort of how pro wrestling evolved the way it did, as promoters decided they were just actively putting on a show they had the fighters use obvious/more visible holds as opposed to real grappling, so a lot more arm locks and head locks and obvious working of limbs. So much of actual fighting, in any combat sport (and also in just, combat) is defensive, and that can look a little weird sometimes so dramatizations of it tend to show more hits being landed and grapples being applied. (See how the Rocky movies feature everyone taking way more punches than a real boxer could be reasonably expected to survive.)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Maxwell Lord posted:

(See how the Rocky movies feature everyone taking way more punches than a real boxer could be reasonably expected to survive.)

Clearly someone needs to watch Gatti v Ward 1 and 2.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
One of the weirdest aspects of Stallone's career in general is that he always moves like he's never done it before. He walks, runs, fights, shoots and loving stands awkwardly as hell. For a highly physical actor, obsessed with being the biggest action star ever, he's just kind of bad at using his body, despite being in insane shape. Rambo 2 is the funniest example since Steven Berkoff, serious stage actor, is not only the best actor in the movie by a country mile, but also pretty much the only one who knows how to stand normally. Everyone else reminds me of that picture of the trump family. It's a remarkable contrast with Arnie, who isn't a great actor by classic metrics, but is excellent at using his body on camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Does Tom Cruise have the best run in movies? Discuss