Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Sorry my Google-fu sucks, but basically the following have stopped working:

- Tapping on a timg tag to expand it
- Tapping on the three dots menu on a post (to quote it etc.)

The three dots menu in the header still works fine.

Anybody else had a similar issue? I'm on LineageOS and I have some privacy firewalls so In used to various apps misbehaving, but those don't look like network issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

NihilCredo posted:

Anybody else had a similar issue? I'm on LineageOS and I have some privacy firewalls so In used to various apps misbehaving, but those don't look like network issues.

I'm not sure what a time tag is but just for some counter evidence I'm on lineage with weird privacy things and I used the dots menu to quote this.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

Did you check to see if you have any updates for Android System Webview?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Yep, I've mentioned it before, but every time I have a weird bug in basic functionality it turns out that I need to update Chrome and whatever Android stuff that automatically fixes.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yep, I've mentioned it before, but every time I have a weird bug in basic functionality it turns out that I need to update Chrome and whatever Android stuff that automatically fixes.

Oh yeah, I always forget about Chrome, since I don't use it.

Here's hoping it's something easy like updating those.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hm, I'm having some issues on my tablet, and installing Android System WebView (which I didn't actually have before) didn't fix them.

1) I don't seem to be able to get the sidebar to stay in place while reading a thread in landscape and mode. I'm supposed to be able to do that, right? (At least, it works that way in the iPad app.)
2) Tapping on spoilers to reveal them does nothing.
3) Tapping on a post from an ignored user reloads the entire thread instead of revealing it.

EDIT: Doing a thread search indicates that everybody hates the Android version of tablet mode and I should disable it, and that running LineageOS may be hurting me here. I have to say if I had to pick an app that would just randomly refuse to work on a custom ROM, it would probably have been Netflix or something. (I have not actually checked to see if Netflix still works.)

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 8, 2022

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Rand Brittain posted:

Hm, I'm having some issues on my tablet, and installing Android System WebView (which I didn't actually have before) didn't fix them.

1) I don't seem to be able to get the sidebar to stay in place while reading a thread in landscape and mode. I'm supposed to be able to do that, right? (At least, it works that way in the iPad app.)
2) Tapping on spoilers to reveal them does nothing.
3) Tapping on a post from an ignored user reloads the entire thread instead of revealing it.

EDIT: Doing a thread search indicates that everybody hates the Android version of tablet mode and I should disable it, and that running LineageOS may be hurting me here. I have to say if I had to pick an app that would just randomly refuse to work on a custom ROM, it would probably have been Netflix or something. (I have not actually checked to see if Netflix still works.)

1) That's how it works, sorry. The thread list is just a short swipe away.

2/3) If the WebView wasn't install, it's probably using Chrome instead. Can you try updating that?

What device is that?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Sereri posted:

1) That's how it works, sorry. The thread list is just a short swipe away.

2/3) If the WebView wasn't install, it's probably using Chrome instead. Can you try updating that?

What device is that?

1) Well, that's the way the cookie crumbles. I don't really mind the swiping; it's just way too far for the eye to travel in landscape. I guess I'll stick to portrait.

2/3) I didn't have Chrome installed, either, but installing it doesn't change anything.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite with LineageOS installed.

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Hello thread!

I've been having an issue this week, the app refuses to work with WiFi, I get a Loading Failed message. Works fine with my data plan tho

Mine's a Motorola moto e6 play, android 9.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Blue Nation posted:

Hello thread!

I've been having an issue this week, the app refuses to work with WiFi, I get a Loading Failed message. Works fine with my data plan tho

Mine's a Motorola moto e6 play, android 9.

Does the forum work in the browser when on wifi? You might be getting a captcha

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Daztek posted:

Does the forum work in the browser when on wifi? You might be getting a captcha

Yes, it did work with the browser, I got "checking if the site connection is secure" just before the forum loaded.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Blue Nation posted:

Yes, it did work with the browser, I got "checking if the site connection is secure" just before the forum loaded.

Cloudflare believes that some combination of your IP, user agent, etc. constitute a threat. Not being able to pass their managed challenge in the app likely reinforces that belief in their system.

Since you were able to get it to work properly with your data plan, it's most likely the IP itself triggering some red flags; perhaps a previous owner of that IP address did some malicious stuff. If your ISP assigns IP addresses dynamically, you might have better luck the next time it cycles (when/how this happens depends on your ISP).

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

astral posted:

Cloudflare believes that some combination of your IP, user agent, etc. constitute a threat. Not being able to pass their managed challenge in the app likely reinforces that belief in their system.

Since you were able to get it to work properly with your data plan, it's most likely the IP itself triggering some red flags; perhaps a previous owner of that IP address did some malicious stuff. If your ISP assigns IP addresses dynamically, you might have better luck the next time it cycles (when/how this happens depends on your ISP).

Guess I'll just have to wait for it to cycle. Thanks!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I just had a thread with 3500ish unread posts change to -81601 unread posts, what would have caused that? I realized it was there right as I hit reload, and it reset to 0 unread upon reloading. Weird. It was the pinned small questions thread in ask/tell

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

I just had a thread with 3500ish unread posts change to -81601 unread posts, what would have caused that? I realized it was there right as I hit reload, and it reset to 0 unread upon reloading. Weird. It was the pinned small questions thread in ask/tell

had you just viewed someone's posts in that thread?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
ah yeah, if that's the cause, I wonder why.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Does this app already have a themed icon for android 13?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
I had been having a problem with pull-to-refresh not firing when there were ignored posts on a page and I was hiding ignored posts, but I'm no longer using the 'hide ignored posts' option and still having trouble with pull-to-refresh.

I'll hit the end of a page, pull, and the app will reload that same page.

This is not just happening on the latest page of a thread, either, but eight or ten pages back or whatever.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BabyFur Denny posted:

Does this app already have a themed icon for android 13?

Ooh I've been meaning to ask this

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ArcMage posted:

I had been having a problem with pull-to-refresh not firing when there were ignored posts on a page and I was hiding ignored posts, but I'm no longer using the 'hide ignored posts' option and still having trouble with pull-to-refresh.

This is not just happening on the latest page of a thread, either, but eight or ten pages back or whatever.
I've also seen this occasionally and it's possible it's related to ignored users, but I don't honestly know. I've been assuming user error so far due to switching to a new phone recently (physical swipe distance changing between phones or something). Anyway, maybe it is something weird the app is doing if it's not just me?

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
I've had that problem very occasionally myself as well and I don't have any ignored users. While I'm here just want to say my thanks for the app. It's really really great.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I get the pull to refresh failure in fast moving threads like GDTs in SAS. I think it's related to the page count changing between the time the page loads and when the pull to refresh happens, but I haven't really tested it.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

ArcMage posted:

I know Sereri pushed out a fix related to this a while back, are you upgraded to 3.8.15 in Settings > About? If so, can you give an example page and your ignore list? (You can PM the ignore list if you'd like.)

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, sorry, it's an artifact of viewing a specific user's posts within a thread. Enough data is reused between the full thread and the filtered thread that unread post counts get screwy.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

handle posted:

I know Sereri pushed out a fix related to this a while back, are you upgraded to 3.8.15 in Settings > About? If so, can you give an example page and your ignore list? (You can PM the ignore list if you'd like.)

Yeah, sorry, it's an artifact of viewing a specific user's posts within a thread. Enough data is reused between the full thread and the filtered thread that unread post counts get screwy.

I am on 3.8.1.5 currently; I'll PM you my ignore list once I figure out a decent way to extract it; it's large because I am a rank coward.

Next time I have the thing happen I'll make a note of the page and PM you that as well.

:patriot:

e: man there is loving no way to easily dump this.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I just had it happen on page 3213 of the pyf funny pictures thread. There's no ignored posts on there for me. Pulling up a second time brings me to the new page entirely as expected. I set the last read marker a page back and tried again and everything just worked as expected. At this point there was only one post on the new page, but I don't know that's relevant.

To be clear, what happens is I reach the bottom of a page, I swipe up to go to the next page, the app seemingly goes through the motions of loading something and sends me to the top of the same page I swipe up on.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Happened again in the schadenfreude thread, with only one post on the next page.

E: can't recreate it by setting the last read marker back though

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 17, 2022

handle
Jan 20, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Happened again in the schadenfreude thread, with only one post on the next page.

E: can't recreate it by setting the last read marker back though
Thanks for looking into this, sucks that I haven't been able to reproduce it yet.. when this happens, is the page counter showing that it's not on the last page yet?

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Page 66 of the cursed images thread did it for me just now.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4008230&pagenumber=66&perpage=40

The page counter showed it as 66/67 at the time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It may still be a massive red herring, but looking at the time of your post here and the times of the posts there, there was one post on the new page.

So far haven't been able to observe what the page numbers are like, but I think I'm mostly trained well enough not to pull for next page if the bottom right has a refresh symbol rather than a right pointing arrow to indicate a next page. Keeping an eye on it though.

handle
Jan 20, 2011

OK, I was able to reproduce this on newer, faster-moving threads. (Optional: set posts per page to 5 to make it easier.)
  1. Load a thread where the last page is maxed out on posts.
  2. Wait until there are new posts. (Double edit: requires a lot of luck, with the initial load right before someone posts again.)
  3. Switch away from the app, and switch back. Metadata will update and the page bar will reflect the new posts.
  4. Swipe up and the page will refresh instead of loading the new page.
I'll see if I can figure out a root cause, thank you all for the info!

Edit: ArcMage, I don't know if this is the issue you're seeing 8-10 pages back in a thread, though.

handle fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 22, 2022

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

handle posted:

OK, I was able to reproduce this on newer, faster-moving threads. (Optional: set posts per page to 5 to make it easier.)
  2. Wait until there are new posts.
  3. Switch away from the app, and switch back. Metadata will update and the page bar will reflect the new posts.

Edit: ArcMage, I don't know if this is the issue you're seeing 8-10 pages back in a thread, though.

I've definitely seen this one

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

handle posted:

2. Wait until there are new posts.

That is likely to be the issue, as that describes my usage patterns pretty well.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Incidentally, the most recent Android System WebView update caused the app to suddenly start working correctly for me.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Great app!
The first issue I've noticed is:
Failing to resume properly when the app has gone dormant over multiple hours. I believe in the past it would just boot me back to the thread list, now it stays exactly where I was, but is unresponsive. (I solve it by closing and reopening the app)

I'm on a pixel 6 pro and I guess it started when I updated to Android 13
E: I did a clean reflash maybe 4 updates ago.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 27, 2022

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

NihilCredo posted:

I am also getting this. Also on LineageOS, but with a Nexus 7 2013. No privacy firewall stuff.

I tried reinstalling the app, no change.

Didn't have Chrome or Webview installed, so I installed Webview, reinstalled the app, no change.

I think it started happening after I updated LineageOS sometime in the last month or so. Maybe it's using the built in Browser that you can't remove and they broke something with an update?

handle
Jan 20, 2011

ZombieApostate posted:

I am also getting this. Also on LineageOS, but with a Nexus 7 2013. No privacy firewall stuff.

I tried reinstalling the app, no change.

Didn't have Chrome or Webview installed, so I installed Webview, reinstalled the app, no change.

I think it started happening after I updated LineageOS sometime in the last month or so. Maybe it's using the built in Browser that you can't remove and they broke something with an update?
Can you enable developer options and see what is being being used as your WebView implementation? It should show up under Developer Options > WebView implementation.

Here are some instructions for enabling the developer menu on stock Android. (Just the developer menu is fine, you shouldn't need to enable USB debugging.)

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

handle posted:

Can you enable developer options and see what is being being used as your WebView implementation? It should show up under Developer Options > WebView implementation.

Here are some instructions for enabling the developer menu on stock Android. (Just the developer menu is fine, you shouldn't need to enable USB debugging.)

What it looked like when I first looked at it. Swapped it to the other option and now it seems like it works.

I'm guessing the one that doesn't work is a replacement that lineageos uses in order to not rely on Google's stuff.

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 22, 2022

handle
Jan 20, 2011

ZombieApostate posted:

What it looked like when I first looked at it. Swapped it to the other option and now it seems like it works.

I'm guessing the one that doesn't work is a replacement that lineageos uses in order to not rely on Google's stuff.
Thanks for looking! Yeah, unfortunately there may not be much to do other than hope an update gets Lineage's version to play nice with Awful.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

Yeah, it works for me. This is the device I read the forums while I'm on the shitter and read manga on. The only reason it has LineageOS on it at all is that it runs better than the last official release, which was like Android 6 or some poo poo, lol. Mileage may vary for people that actually want to hide from google, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is there an option to toggle embedding of tiktok videos? It seems to be missing from the list of toggles.