Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Show us the body damnit. What are they hiding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mauser posted:

I don't think we need to ask this, really. We've all heard 'closed-casket funeral' as a euphamism; we're looking at a literal closed-casket funeral, what do you think happened?

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Burst

Child Trebuchet
Sep 4, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The coffin is lined with lead to block x-rays and such from trying to see her bones.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Superman is going to be pissed

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Mauser posted:

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
we should be allowed to see her bones imo

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/BrandiLynn4Ever/status/1571034165692485633

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

I think it was all madder when Princess Di died, the whole country was gripped in a weird mass hysteria for that. For all the media reports of these strange people lining up for hours to look at a box I've honestly not met a single person who is grieving about the Queen dying. Mostly everyone is chuffed we don't have to go to work on Monday. I was out in the pubs last night and all I saw was people getting drunk and having a good time. So in closing, England is a land of contrasts.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

people should launch camera drones to watch with so they don't have to worry about queues or whatever. then i would get to see british guards in their silly fuzzy hats running around trying to shoo them away

Rainbow Knight has a new favorite as of 16:15 on Sep 17, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Queen’s death is like that scene in Children of Men where the guy says something to the effect of “the death of Baby Diego has affected me rather more than I thought it would”, but it hasn’t and he just sees an opportunity to gently caress off from work.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Platystemon posted:

The Queen’s death is like that scene in Children of Men where the guy says something to the effect of “the death of Baby Diego has affected me rather more than I thought it would”, but it hasn’t and he just sees an opportunity to gently caress off from work.

This is what a smart person would do but some freaks are standing 14 hours to get a glance at a closed casket lined with lead

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Child Trebuchet posted:

The coffin is lined with lead to block x-rays and such from trying to see her bones.

Yes that's the reason

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

skyelevator posted:

I think it was all madder when Princess Di died, the whole country was gripped in a weird mass hysteria for that. For all the media reports of these strange people lining up for hours to look at a box I've honestly not met a single person who is grieving about the Queen dying. Mostly everyone is chuffed we don't have to go to work on Monday. I was out in the pubs last night and all I saw was people getting drunk and having a good time. So in closing, England is a land of contrasts.

To be fair everyone who gives a poo poo about the monarchy is stuck in a queue at the moment

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/lavendermoonbun/status/1571016852821901313

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/caenhillcc/status/1571210340519628805?s=20&t=AJoL6hIEL89Xylnn3Y0u0w

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Frank Frank posted:

The other guy has serious mental health issues and I was legitimately afraid he might off himself until I did some googling because he’s 100% on that trajectory and I didn’t want to have a serious discussion about mental health and alcoholism with my kids over Stardew Valley

Nah it isn't Portia

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

skyelevator posted:

Yeah, the Diana thing was crazy. I was a teen at the time and we went down to Kensington Palace a few nights after. It was eerily silent, just a sea of candles and flowers and people quietly mourning. Even as a snot-nosed anti-monarchist I still felt saddened by her death.

I've seen a small number of houses with memorial posters stuck in the windows but not met anybody grieving. I was at a big family lunch today and the closest anyone came to mentioning the Queen was that Netflix must be getting good numbers this week as regular TV has gone to poo poo.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1571214337762795520

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The fan looks like a swastika

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/electricalWSOP/status/1571229671685238784?s=20&t=cE3k7Mg9NwrtUBuAp18puQ

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/authorconfusion/status/1571149324096278528?s=46&t=-hy1gWEjBVxXZVAuU-MqIg

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/TheHyyyype/status/1509313270016090117

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Yeah, the Diana thing was crazy. I was a teen at the time and we went down to Kensington Palace a few nights after. It was eerily silent, just a sea of candles and flowers and people quietly mourning. Even as a snot-nosed anti-monarchist I still felt saddened by her death.

I've seen a small number of houses with memorial posters stuck in the windows but not met anybody grieving. I was at a big family lunch today and the closest anyone came to mentioning the Queen was that Netflix must be getting good numbers this week as regular TV has gone to poo poo.

She was so very old. When someone in their 90s dies it isn't shocking. With her husband dying and then her recent health issues everyone had plenty of time to come to grips with her inevitable death.

Diana was young, her death was sudden, and she left sad little kids without a mother.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Mauser posted:

She died ages ago and she was cremated to keep rhings under wraps

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Tenebrais posted:

To be fair everyone who gives a poo poo about the monarchy is stuck in a queue at the moment

If only we could find some way to keep them there

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cleretic posted:

I don't think we need to ask this, really. We've all heard 'closed-casket funeral' as a euphamism; we're looking at a literal closed-casket funeral, what do you think happened?

closed casket funeral isn't just a euphemism, though?
they do it all the time when the corpse isn't "photogenic" enough for the mortician to do it up with some formaldehyde and makeup and get it looking fresh / just-like-new
e.g. when someone dies in a car crash

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Or when they're worried about something else

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

closed casket funeral isn't just a euphemism, though?
they do it all the time when the corpse isn't "photogenic" enough for the mortician to do it up with some formaldehyde and makeup and get it looking fresh / just-like-new
e.g. when someone dies in a car crash

I really want to know what he thinks closed casket funeral is a euphemism for

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I've heard open casket funerals are much less common outside of the U.S. Is this true, or am I an idiot?

Anyway, here's a thread of absolute bangers. https://twitter.com/dennisbhooper/status/1570973615952363520?t=9sm6992BUhmf2ZKFLMlEeA&s=09

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/evynfong/status/1570934750352912384

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Blackula Vs. Tarantula posted:

I really want to know what he thinks closed casket funeral is a euphemism for

Pretty sure I've heard stuff like 'make it a clised-casket funeral' in media in reference to killing someone violently more often than I've heard talk of actual closed-casket funerals.

Pretty sure all the funerals I've been to were closed-casket, though, so either open-casket just isn't a thing in Australia or all my grandparents died in shootouts and nobody told me.

Dumpmaster General
Sep 8, 2022

by sebmojo

The Saddest Rhino posted:

When I was a kid we went to Beijing and queued up to look at chairman Mao 's body and at least we get to see something resembling him. Brits are so weird

I truly thought this was a Lenin/Mao thing where she was at least in a fancy glass box everyone could go up to and 'see the queen' one last time.

Imagine spending hours in line to look at a box, absolute brit behavior

Blackula Vs. Tarantula
Jul 6, 2005

😤I am NOT Captain_Redbeard🧔

Cleretic posted:

Pretty sure I've heard stuff like 'make it a clised-casket funeral' in media in reference to killing someone violently more often than I've heard talk of actual closed-casket funerals.

Pretty sure all the funerals I've been to were closed-casket, though, so either open-casket just isn't a thing in Australia or all my grandparents died in shootouts and nobody told me.

The italicized "literal" in your post confused me, since even in that euphemistic sense there is still a literal closed casket funeral afterwards. It seemed like you thought a closed casket funeral was an unusual circumstance or something.

I've been to open casket funerals, they are just as bizarre and unsettling as you are imagining.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

My grandmother had an open casket funeral a few years back. I didn't like seeing her dead face presented all cosmeticked up. But it wasn't like traumatic or anything. But, none of that for me thanks.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

My grandmother had an open casket funeral a few years back. I didn't like seeing her dead face presented all cosmeticked up. But it wasn't like traumatic or anything. But, none of that for me thanks.

Who actually prefers an open casket? Who does that help?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

It's a last chance to look at them in person. I think it's a positive

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Was pretty common in my family to have open casket wakes/viewings. First time I saw a dead body as a kid. Was pretty intense and weird.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Open casket is just upselling so they can tack on clothing and make up, Murica

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Lobe posted:

But, none of that for me thanks.

Are you sure? You could be missing out on one of these: