Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Yeah, I'm really not liking Edgeworth after this bit. Hope he gets some sort of comeuppance. Definitely not seeing anything admirable in this line of behavior, it better not be his full character arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Here we go here we go here we go here we go :dance:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Man, now they're going to have to update the autopsy report again, and boy is it going to be embarrassing for the coroner.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ah, this game was never grounded to begin with, but NOW is where the real pants-on-head logic starts up.

Also, it is 'by whom' Edgeworth, you analphabetic clown.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 36: Episode 2, Day 3, Trial: Medium Level Up

Phoenix seems to be hearing and seeing Mia in Maya's seat...

...!!!!

There's a crash as we fade to black again...

We just gave up on defending ourselves, so looks like we've been dragged out to the lobby to await our ride back to the detention center.

The text even pops in slowly, reflecting Phoenix's continued wooziness.

What happened?

Oh, right...

This game continues to surprise me. Will future episodes feature Phoenix Wright, jailhouse lawyer?

Music: Courtroom Lobby ~ Beginning Overture

Even better! We passed out from excitement at our victory at the end of the first episode, and this entire second episode has just been a bad dream!

Music: Silence

Phoenix can't handle the shock and blacks out again.

"Gak"? That's no way to greet an old friend!

... :what: :confused:

Music: Courtroom Lobby ~ Beginning Overture

Mia that outfit is even more ridiculous on you than your lawyer garb. Are you competing with Miss May for most gratuitious cleavage?

M-Maya...?

When Mia died and Maya came along, I actually trashed the icon files I had for Mia, figuring I'd never need them again (and I use initials for the file names, and both characters have the same initials). Not only did I have to go re-grab them from the Episode 1 updates for flashbacks, but now I have to go make more for this Mia-as-Maya bit? (Or is it Maya-as-Mia? Never mind, I don't want to think about it anymore.) My zip file of sprites didn't even have these in there!

When you accepted your defeat in court...

So... Maya is channeling you, Mia?

That's right. I am Maya, but I'm also Mia.

I guess I missed my point to object to this spirit medium business many updates ago. Oh well, let's roll with it!

Maya never gave up. You can't either!

That's what I came here to tell you.

...!

B-but!

You've already won.

Huh...?

You have that Receipt in the court record, right?

Phoenix! White wrote that, not me!

So... so what do I do with it?

Look at the front of the receipt!

The... front?

(Looks like it's from a famous department store.)

("$1,000.00"... Wow, big spender!)

("Item"... "Glass light stand"...!)

...!

September 4!

Music: Investigation - Core

I bought that stand the day before I was killed!

Now there's a sentence I never thought I'd type.

Whoa!

There you go!

I think the court is about to reconvene!

I'm so weirded out by this, but on reflection it's not much weirder than a lot of other comic-like storylines for bringing a character back to life? And this game is just silly enough to pull it off.

Right!

We're back! And it looks like Mia-Maya is still with us?

Music: Trial

Is the defendant... rather, are you alright, Mr. Wright?

I'm fine now.

Then, let's start where we left off.

Your Honor.

The cross-examination of Mr. White is finished!

Hmm...

Your Honor!

I promise you, this is the last time I'll ask you!

Hmm...

Mr. Edgeworth, do you have an opinion on this matter?

My, how magnanimous of you. Your arrogance will be your undoing!

Very well!

Everything is basically the same here, including what we get for pressing.

Music: Questioning - Allegro

So let's jump right to the good stuff.

quote:

Pressing gets most of the same dialogue, with the end replaced with a reminder to present our evidence. The first time:

(Gah! I have to show him the evidence Mia gave me!)

The second time:

(Gah! I have to show him the evidence Mia gave me!)

The third time, the judge gets involved after Edgeworth objects:

Objection sustained. Mr. Wright...

I don't see how asking the same questions again will make any difference.

(Right! I have to show him the evidence Mia gave me!)

We also get a similar new line for reaching the end of the testimony:

(Now I've just got to show him the proof Mia gave me!)

Lastly, presenting the wrong evidence just results in the same dialogue and lost health bars as in other crosses.

See the word "Maya" written in blood...?

Bwah hah! You're grasping!

And you're starting to cackle like a cartoon villain, settle down.

Music: Pressing Pursuit - Cornered

Th-the other side?

Your Honor.

Hmm...

Well!

And the date of purchase...

Why, that's the day before the murder!

Double reaction shot, we're back in the game!

You see!

Mr. White.

I had to shrink it to get the file size down with all that screen shaking, but there's a nice double-meltdown for you!

Well, Mr. White?

Music: Pressing Pursuit - Cornered

(Uh oh... he's losing it.)

Well, Your Honor.

!

Come on, this is getting ridiculous now.

Not so fast, Phoenix Wright!

Music: Pressing Pursuit - Cornered - Variation

Eh?

(Oh wait... I forgot. It's Edgeworth.)

However!

There's also zero proof that we're guilty! This trial is just dragging on now.

(...!)

Ergo!

Oh hell no. That'll just give you time to fabricate some evidence.

I need time to make one more inquiry into this matter.

Hmm...!

(Another inquiry...!?)

Yes it is, fight!

(This guy just makes up evidence as he pleases!)

Of course we're objecting, it's what we do!

There is no need to prolong this trial any further!

Hmm.

Well, Mr. Edgeworth?

Hmm.

I see.

Dammit the corrupt system has screwed us.

Whaaaat!

quote:

If we wait to see what happens...

(Hmm. I don't know where he's going with this. I'd better hold back for now.)

I see...

Very well.

As there is no objection from the defense, I grant Mr. Edgeworth his extra day.

(Uh oh...)

Looks like we're stuck with another day no matter what...

Music: Suspense

(And after Mia showed up to help me and all...)

Mr. Your Honor!

Forget Edgeworth, if this guy gets away he'll just have us killed overnight!

(Gah!)

(M-Mia...!)

Phoenix!

Mia? What's this...?

Ghost evidence, nice.

Music: Suspense

(You bet I am! My life is riding on this one!)

No point fooling around here, let's see what Mia has for us.

quote:

Choosing the wrong evidence here gets us another loop:

(No... that's not it! I can't mess this one up!)

Something the matter?

N-no, Your Honor!

No penalty for these, either. Maybe those can only happen during crosses? Or maybe later episodes will be more difficult?

Many of them sounded strangely familiar.

People in finance, famous celebrities...

That's when it happened.

Huh? :confused:

P-please, stop! Make him stop!

How... how did you get that list!?

Mr. White.

Or else this list will be released to the press!

The crowd is dead silent here.

Music: Trial

What the hell was that? What was that all about? Why would that list of names bother White enough to confess to murder? In a judicial system that happily executes murderers, no less? Bait for future episodes?

Mr. Wright?

Yes, Your Honor.

Yes, Your Honor.

Hmm. Well!

This court finds the defense...

We did it! For real this time! :toot:

And the crowd goes wild!

I find this ending oddly dissatisfying for some reason. Oh well, we'll wrap up Episode 2 next time!

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I think they were trying to create an ironic ending by having the blackmailer get defeated by blackmail, but as you said, when the penalty for murder goes up to the death penalty, I'd just as soon take my chances.

Maybe if he takes a plea bargain, he'll be able to get time in jail instead.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

It's wacky because they already had Mia step in with a Deus Ex Machina style piece of evidence, only to have her save the day with yet another. For what possible purpose?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Also, blackmailing someone in open court? And Edgeworth doesn't say a word?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Staltran posted:

How could he? Even the judge has to know he's just making poo poo up.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
He killed Mia for that list, I guess. And now it's gotten out anyway.

Also, Edgey and the Judge are on that list. I imagine they won't want to explain the particulars.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I agree, this ending is a bit convoluted. But hey, at least it fits in universe. Hopefully future villains won’t need a deus ex machina to defeat. Or if they do, Phoenix will be able to handle producing one on his own.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Yeah the second bit of ghost evidence falls a bit flat. Someone mentioned that this was originally the first case written for the game, and I guess they couldn't have the big bad crumble in the face of one piece of evidence presented by a rookie attorney?

Also you mentioned the newspaper clip disappearing way back at the start of the trial day. I thought it'd come up, but the implication is clearly that White just stole it off you when he was calling the pigs, or had someone take it while you were in custody.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Staltran posted:

Eh, while the beat doesn't really hold up, Mia is not blackmailing someone. She's blackmailing everyone. It's simpler for the system to just pretend this whole trial didn't happen.

I doubt White is getting the death penalty, I think he'll manage some backroom deal for 20/30 to life in a minimum security prison. He knows he'll get :commissar: in a back alley somewhere if that list of names comes out.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Screw that, let’s call in our favor with the most vicious prison gang in the Ace Attorney universe. They can make White’s stay in prison a living hell even if they don’t kill him!

Is what I have happening in my head canon anyway. :black101:

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

White is a great start to the game.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

:bisonyes:

Judge is very excited to get rid of White.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I can't believe I've played these games near half a dozen times and I never noticed the Judge's grin before now.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
The Judge is happy to tie off that particularly annoying loose end in his life.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Quackles posted:

I can't believe I've played these games near half a dozen times and I never noticed the Judge's grin before now.

Haha I may have inadvertently caught that talking animation in a good spot. That sprite is usually more of a blank wide-eyed stare. I like the idea of a hidden smile breaking through though.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

DKII posted:

That sprite is usually more of a blank wide-eyed stare.

The way this legal system works, you know that judge has seen and done some poo poo that haunts him.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 37: Episode 2, Epilogue: Wright & Co.

Time for our victory lap in the lobby!

Music: Victory! The First Victory

Mia-Maya is still hanging out with us. Is she going to pop in on the regular whenever we need help now?

Which one of you? You know what, never mind.

I'm lucky I had both you and Maya on my side.

I'm glad you made it.

Thank you, Phoenix.

You risked a lot to help me... and Maya.

:rimshot:

(As long as you "live"...?)

My time here's running out.

Huh?

Maya's powers are still weak.

W-what!? No! There's still so much to say!

Don't worry.

I'm sure we'll meet again.

Ch-Chief!

I like how Phoenix has just gone all-in on this spirit medium business, never really questioning it.

Phoenix?

Can you come to the office tonight... say, 9:00?

The office...?

And Mia ghosts out. Do you think Maya remembers everything that just happened, or does she just wake up in the lobby all :wtf:

Phoenix seems to be habitually a couple minutes late to the office. It's still the same day, and it's been just four days since Mia's murder.

Ah, we're here at the same time of night so we can re-use the same backdrop, clever.

You came!

Mia...

Huh? Of course I came...

Well then!

M-Mia...?

Mia!

Music: Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters Theme

Hey, we get our first new music track in forever as Maya makes her re-appearance.

M-Maya...?

...She has no idea what happened, does she? Or she does and she's pranking us!

(Look like... You WERE her!)

"Oh, Phoenix! Go to the store and buy me lunch, would you?"

Uhm, Maya... Why are you here?

See? Mia wrote me a letter.

"Take care of Phoenix for me."

Well that's thoughtfully convenient. Get possessed by a ghost, but they write you a letter to explain what happened while you were out of it.

She means the office! This office!

So we just...take over?

You know what, this is going to be great. I'm already looking forward to Episode 3 now.

You... don't mind me calling you "Nick," do you?

("Nick"...?)

You know what this means? We're partners!

It is Maya's fault I'm here now.

But...

If it wasn't for her I'd probably be in jail!

Yeah!

Thanks, Maya!

Well, that was adorable.

(I'll always be here... watching.)

Huh? Do... what?

Burgers, dummy! Burgers!

C'mon! Time's a wasting!

O-okay! Wait up!

Holy hell, episode 2 is finally over! It took 27 updates and around 1800 images! I really had no idea what I was in for, that first episode made it seem so easy! Overall I thought the episode was incredibly well done, I loved the new characters, the investigation sequences, and even that the trial was broken up into multiple days, with more investigation in between. The story is over-the-top but somehow works within the setting and the framework that's been set up, even with Mia saving us at the end again (this time as a ghost!).

My only complaint is that the last sequence of the trial seemed unnecessarily drawn out. It really could have ended with Mia showing up, pointing out the receipt in the courtroom, and White confessing from there. Mr. White himself was also kind of disappointing in the trial - after a whole episode of setup and his flamboyant arrogance in his office, his pathetic performance at the trial was a bit of a letdown. The actual ending was somewhat anti-climactic, but I'm hoping that pays off in a future episode. It would have been nice to rub our victory in Edgeworth's face a bit, too, but he kind of disappeared at the end there. I guess in the end it was more Mia's victory than ours, anyway.

Also just to hit on what is now a repeating pattern - the very first contradiction we spotted for both Miss May and Mr. White were once again both lines where they were actually telling the truth (and unintentionally revealing more than they wanted). For Miss May it was pointing out the murder weapon was a clock (which she heard about on the wiretap), and for Mr. White it was seeing Mia dodge to the left (from his perspective as the killer).

I was able to tweak my workflow to keep an update coming out every other day throughout that episode; the main difficulty was in managing different save files for keeping track of branching paths during the investigations! I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up at that pace for the entire game, and I may take a short break before starting the next episode, but I'll do my best to keep this running at a quick pace!

Music: Jingle - It Can't End Here

Are those fighting samurai robots!? Never mind about the break, I'm jumping straight in!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I mean, the tutorial episode is a burglary gone wrong and the first real episode is busting a high level blackmail ring that has at least one and a half branches of government completely under its thumb, so defending a goddamn gundam or w/e seems like a reasonable next step at the current rate of escalation.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
This is a great LP and the amount of work you've put into it is amazing! Take all the time you need to not burn out.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Episode 3 in each game has the reputation of being the weakest in their respective game. I don't agree with this, I love Turnabout Samurai.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'd argue that Turnabout Samurai is one of the best cases Ace Attorney 1 has to offer.

Also, fun fact: Maya's favorite food in the Japanese version is ramen.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I really hope this LP doesn't suffer from the PW curse because it being a blind SSLP is a really fun new perspective on the games. I agree with basically your entire assessment of the episodes, mostly good except for the extended ending sequence and White folding like a bad poker hand under the slightest pressure.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Leraika posted:

This is a great LP and the amount of work you've put into it is amazing! Take all the time you need to not burn out.

Seconded.

Turnabout Samurai is my second favorite Phoenix case of all time, after the fanfic Turnabout Storm. The climactic case of this game is great too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

SirSamVimes posted:

I really hope this LP doesn't suffer from the PW curse because it being a blind SSLP is a really fun new perspective on the games.

Indeed, take care to pace yourself, and remember - this is supposed to be fun for you as well as us. If it stops being that way, don't try to force yourself to keep going.

That being said, looking forward to the next case!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Quackles posted:

Also, fun fact: Maya's favorite food in the Japanese version is ramen.
Eat the burger, Apollo Maya.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
None of the first game cases are really my personal favorites, but I think they're all really objectively good. Turnabout Samurai might not be as flashy as some others but I think it's one of the most Ace Attorney cases there is. If that makes any sense.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
The worst part about Turnabout Samurai is that you, the player, will likely figure out what happened long before Phoenix does, and it makes the case drag on. The second-worst part is one of the characters, whose "humor" has aged terribly.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Might be a good idea not to comment on future cases when this is a blind lp?

Leraika fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 21, 2022

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Samurai is my favorite case of the first game. It might be my favorite case of the first 2 games, since I never finished the trilogy.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I’ll save my full thoughts for the case is finished, but Samurai captures the essence of the series’ themes

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 38: Interlude: Sound Effect Round-Up

I was digging through for different assets I could post, and came across a treasure trove on a lovely website that I was already using for grabbing talking head icons - Court Records (beware: spoilers in the linked site!). I haven't explored it much since I'm trying to avoid spoilers myself, but I wanted to highlight what a great resource they are by posting some sound effects from the episodes we've just played.

First off, we have the voiced lines that play for shouting out in court. From now on I'll be posting these as images that link to the soundbite, so you can hear them whenever you want:

Phoenix Wright:

Miles Edgeworth:

Winston Payne:

I also got a series of WAV files for other minor sound effects. I'm not going to post every random beep and boop that comes across, but I'll experiment with highlighting the noteworthy ones as they come up in the future. Some examples that we've heard already:

There's no substitute for playing the game yourself, but with these links hopefully I can bring a little more of the experience to you. I'll also stick them into the second post of this thread, where I've been putting other useful links like the soundtrack and the character profiles.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

That's strange.

Those voice clip sound effects play in my browser, except for Edgeworth's "Hold it" and "Take that" which ask me to download them to my computer.

I also get a security warning but that's simply resolved by changing the [url]http://[/url] links into https://. It doesn't fix that download issue though.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Looks like those two are wav files, which might be handled differently?

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Yeah, download/open is handled by filetype, and is a browser setting.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

Part 39: Episode 3, Prologue: Super Slayer Samurai

Fighting robots! Who's the victim? Who's the killer? Who's the client? Let's find out!

Video: Episode 3 Prologue

The pale moon in the sky cries for your blood!

Music: The Steel Samurai

For it will be the last moon you ever see!

We've completely switched genres and I am here for it.

Is this even a murder? Or did we just stumble into an anime fight scene?

One has fallen... but who? Only the moon knows!

:doh: I really should have seen that coming.

It's a month later, and we're the ones running the place now.

Was the intro just Maya and Phoenix watching an anime together? That's quite the switch from the last two episodes.

Music: The Steel Samurai

Whoa! Stop waving that broom around!

Sound: Light Bulb

Ah, it was just Maya watching the show.

Of course I'm here!

What was that surreal show you were watching?

Young...? Like, how young?

(Maya is 17.)

Then what the heck are YOU doing getting all excited!?

That's....a long way from 10.

Hey! Don't talk to me like I'm your grandpa or something. I'm only 24 myself.

I think that's the first time I've seen his age confirmed. That's practically ancient in anime years.

Maya's changing expressions faster than Gumshoe here. I'm still trying to figure out how watching an anime robot fighting show is going to play into a murder case.

I really worry about kids these days.

Gramps!

Okay, Phoenix, now you really are sounding like an old grandpa.

I guess...

Wish we had some clients!

You'd think winning two high-profile murder cases - in a land with almost no "not guilty" verdicts - would raise Phoenix's profile a bit, but maybe that last trial has scared away potential clients.

Mia's murder was the talk of the town for some time...

How am I going to pay the rent this month?

I'm sure some big client is just around the corner!

Hmph.

Grumpy grandpa Phoenix.

Two days later, if you weren't paying attention earlier.

There's the sound of a phone ringing three times here, but it seems to be a concatenation of random beep files put together rather than its own effect. You can probably imagine it.

*beep*

H-hello? This is Phoenix.

Maya's a trouble magnet, isn't she?

Maya? What? It's still early...

Finally, a lead on a case!

Huh? You mean the guy on that show?

Yes!

Umm...

Isn't that what he's supposed to do?

Yeah, on TV!

Yeah, on TV.

He skewered a villain with his Samurai Spear!

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Just come to the office, quick! Please, Nick!

Music: Maya Fey ~ Turnabout Sisters Theme

The actor Will Powers was arrested yesterday. Powers plays the lead role

in the popular kid's show "The Steel Samurai: Warrior of Neo Olde Tokyo."

He was arrested on suspicion of murder.

His body was found still inside the Evil Magistrate costume.

The "Samurai Spear" was also found stuck through the body.

After the last episode, I could use a case that is as silly as this one is shaping up to be.

The spear was found "stuck through the body", and police only "believe" it was the murder weapon? :rolleyes:

This has to be a joke.

A phone rings somewhere...

*beep*

Is that Maya's phone? Or are all cell phones in this game going to have the same icon?

Sound: Light Bulb

Nick!

Sound: Realization

W-what!?

*beep*

Go? Go where?

They have the Steel Samurai down in detention!

So what!?

Sound: Objection

Sounds like a real winner. At least it's not one we're personally involved in for once!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

awww yeah it's toku time