Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I think the cool guy ecosystem is just far more fleshed out in Japan than America or Britain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
saw this on twitter and thought about what picks other ppl might have

https://twitter.com/ArfJason/status/1571368903431041025

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

ArfJason posted:

first: sonic 2 (I think)
last: sonic advance 3
favorite: 3&k
least favorite: sonic the fighters

I have played maybe half of the sonic games

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

first: sonic 2 or 1 idr i was very young
last: sonic adventure 2 battle
favorite: sonic adventure 2 battle
least: sonic 4 ep 1

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

honestly had a really hard time deciding on a least fav, ive never played a sonic game i didnt have fun with

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Breadallelogram posted:

first: sonic 2 (I think)
last: sonic advance 3
favorite: 3&k
least favorite: sonic the fighters

I have played maybe half of the sonic games

yeah when it comes to the franchise at large i probably played like 30% of em lol

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

honestly had a really hard time deciding on a least fav, ive never played a sonic game i didnt have fun with

labyrinth will change that!!!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

First : sonic 1
Last : that fan game where you watch TV with sonic who blushes???
Most : mania
Least : heroes, the only 3d game I played

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
First: 2
Last: Forces
Favourite: 2
Least: Rivals 1

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

The Saddest Rhino posted:

First : sonic 1
Last : that fan game where you watch TV with sonic who blushes???
Most : mania
Least : heroes, the only 3d game I played

wait really heroes is the only 3d one you played? i mean even if i dont think its particularly good adventure 1 warrants a playthrough just because of how all over the place it is, and adventure 2 is decent more often than it isnt.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ArfJason posted:

labyrinth will change that!!!

i skipped out on a lot of the game gear games. i think played 1, 2, and blast

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic adventure 2 battle is th ebest game ever made

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ive played my share of sonic

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

also im assuming last sonic game was most recently played. if its most recent game then its team sonic racign for me

edit: i forgot about sonic origins. sonic origins is the most recent sonic game ive played

Ms. Unsmiley fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Sep 18, 2022

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

1st: Sonic The Hedgehog
Last: Forces
Fav: Generations
Least fav: Labyrinth

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

also im assuming last sonic game was most recently played. if its most recent game then its team sonic racign for me

Luckily those 2 coincided for me

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

sonic adventure 2 battle is th ebest game ever made

Its alright

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
First : sonic 2
Last : Mania
Most : Sonic 3 and Knuckles
Least : heroes

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ArfJason posted:

wait really heroes is the only 3d one you played? i mean even if i dont think its particularly good adventure 1 warrants a playthrough just because of how all over the place it is, and adventure 2 is decent more often than it isnt.

Largely because I didn't own any console in between the Sega mega drive and the ps4, most of what I know of the games are through lp and cultural osmosis. Idk if I have the time to play those but I'll have a look if I do

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

First: Sonic 1
Last: 3&K in Origins
Most favorite: 3&K, Generations, or Mania. Though if we’re speaking in terms of sheer enjoyment nothing will ever be able to beat Adventure 1 for Dreamcast when I was 9. Still have a soft spot for it.
Least favorite: I want to say Labyrinth or Sonic Blast for Game Gear but it’s been forever since I played either one. Out of the modern titles… probably Sonic 06 or Rise of Lyric.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
first: sonic 3 i think, we had both it and the three pack with 1, 2, and mean bean machine when i was a kid but i'm pretty sure i played 3 first
last: sonic 2 retro remix if we're counting unofficial games, 3k via origins otherwise
favorite: mania with the amy rose mod
least favorite: labyrinth, the premise is moronic

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

sonic 2 retro remix owns

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

First: Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
Last: uhhh...Sonic Heroes? Or Sonic Advance 2?
Most favorite: SA2:B
Least favorite: Haven't played enough to have a least favorite tbh

I've only ever played the Adventure games and Advance 1 & 2. Just one more reason I'm psyched about Frontiers, I don't have much to compare it to :haw:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Macaluso posted:

I find it funny that Japan doesn't like Sonic as much as us westerners. Is it because he's a little stinker and Japan is like "this little guy is just too outages"

The Mega Drive wasn't really a big deal in Japan and Sonic basically skipped the Saturn, so it can't coast on momentum like it does everywhere else.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

My family had a Dreamcast when I was a kid (for some reason), and I played the absolute piss out of the Adventure games. Adventure 2's mission and grading system is still one of the best replayability features I've come across in a game, and I'm dying for Rouge to come back as a playable character so we get more sweet, sweet bossanova stage themes.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
First: Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
Last: Origins
Favorite: Tie between 3 and Mania
Least Favorite: Games like 06 and Rise of Lyric are pretty funny with how bad they are. Sonic 4 Ep 1 is just a depressing game

I haven't played Labyrinth

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Blue Labrador posted:

My family had a Dreamcast when I was a kid (for some reason), and I played the absolute piss out of the Adventure games. Adventure 2's mission and grading system is still one of the best replayability features I've come across in a game, and I'm dying for Rouge to come back as a playable character so we get more sweet, sweet bossanova stage themes.
Rouge songs are basically less bombastic Bayonetta songs. Bring Rouge back and make her Bayonetta.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
First played (at a friend's): 1
First owned (but also only played at a friend's): 06
First owned and played for myself: Generations
Last: Unleashed
Most: Generations, though Unleashed is making a strong case
Least: Black Knight. Total dogshit

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Largely because I didn't own any console in between the Sega mega drive and the ps4, most of what I know of the games are through lp and cultural osmosis. Idk if I have the time to play those but I'll have a look if I do
Rhino play Sonic 06

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

First: Sonic 1 (8-bit) - came built into my Master System 2 if you turned it on with no other game attached
Last: Forces (I briefly played TSR, but not enough to really count)
Most favourite: Unleashed honestly might be it overall
Least favourite: Lost World - sticky, baffling controls from start to finish that make me feel like a total idiot

It's hard to choose a favourite though, as no one game sticks out massively above the rest, but they all have cool moments that I want to revisit. This is one reason Lost World goes at the bottom for me, because I found the tone so weirdly off that there's nothing in it I want to revisit.

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

First: 2
Last: Origins
Most: probably 3&K, Adventure 1, or Generations
Least: Labyrinth

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

First - Sonic 2
Last - Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed
Favorite - Depending on my mood it swings from 3&K, SA2, or Generations
Least - Secret Rings. Would play just about any other Sonic game over that one again

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
First: Sonic 1
Last: Mania
Favourite: Mania
Worst: Adventure 2

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://twitter.com/SEGA_OFFICIAL/status/1570253603251818496

Sonic Frontiers has the Sakurai seal of approval

ArfJason posted:

First: Sonic Adventure
Favorite: Mania
Least Favorite: 4 Episode 1

G Cyrus
Mar 27, 2010
First : Sonic 2 on the Master System. Never went back to it despite the nostalgic value until the fan remake gave me a new appreciation.
Last : Origin doesn't really count for me, the last actual new game was Forces.
Favorite : Sonic 3 & Knuckes for 2D games (Mania would have won if not for the re used levels) and Adventure 1 for 3D (warts and all, that game blew me away back then and I still like it for being this transition stage between Classic and Modern Sonic).
Least favorite : Sonic Heroes. Fantastic gameplay idea and gorgeous levels aesthetics completely undermined by slippery controls, levels that overstay their welcome, constant bottomless pits and being forced to effectively play the same game four times for a lame final boss. There are objectively worse Sonic games out there, but none to me were as promising but ended up being disapointing as Heroes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

First: Sonic 2...on the gamegear guess how far I got as a kid!

Favorite: This one is tough, but I got to give it to Colors. Soundtrack, level design and concepts all top notch imo.

Least: Heroes

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Weird amount of people itt thinking that Heroes < Shadow, unless you didn't play the latter after the former disappointed you of course

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
shadow is good actually

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Worst Sonic is Labyrinth or Free Riders the recent Heroes slander is inexcusable

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Heroes holds a special place in my heart because conceptually it is exactly what I wanted from a 3D Sonic game - it tries to emulate the older games in a modern style and in terms of design does an amazing job of it - it just didn't get the resources it needed and had some pretty grating voice clips. There are just two games I wish I could see remade to properly capitalise on what they were going for, one is Dark Souls 2 and the other is Sonic Heroes.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Simply Simon posted:

Weird amount of people itt thinking that Heroes < Shadow, unless you didn't play the latter after the former disappointed you of course

theres a lot of stuff i havent played including shadow. i imagine if id played idk secret rings or 06 those would be the worst.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

hatty posted:

Worst Sonic is Labyrinth or Free Riders the recent Heroes slander is inexcusable

Free Riders is one of two Sonic games I will never play on principle, mostly because the Kinect sucks as I actually didn’t mind the other Riders titles (the other one is Sonic Shuffle as I was never a fan of the Mario Party series and from what I hear this is worse)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Black Knight's worse than Secret Rings