Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

THE BAR posted:

I'm pretty much over EU4, and desperately want Vicky3 to stay as sandboxy as possible at launch.

But focus/mission trees are just so dang alluring for most, so I know they'll transplant that mechanic eventually.

Seems like Victoria is going for the Journal system instead, which looks neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I also think missions are cool and good and brought me back to the game in a way I didn’t expect.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Anbennar's trees are A+ tier. While they can definitely be railroad-y at first usually the bigger ones eventually have a goal like: conquer <x> province which may be somewhere off in the middle of the Empire so of course you gotta start digging through them for that sweet sweet event text dump and flavour modifier.

Basically the trees don't have to have OP modifiers and instead work really well as story drivers.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

playing as Sweden, I've got Norway, Poland, Lithuania and France as PUs, and I'm allied to Great Britain (who have my dynasty so hopefully I'll be able to PU them by the end of the game) and a Bohemia that's taken the place of Austria in dominating the Danube. Austria remains Emperor despite being a two province minor with their capital in Slovenia. Both me and Bohemia are the target of a massive coalition that spans the entire HRE but I honestly think we can take them. You'd think being so powerful would be boring but it's hilarious just watching my subjects swarm whoever's unfortunate enough to be at war with me.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Zeron posted:

I think the entire interface … sucks.

Same. It’s one of the biggest reasons I’m looking forward to a cleanish start with EU5.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Mr. Grinch posted:

I actually really hate missions at all and wish they had stuck with national decisions. The appeal of the game is ahistorical sandbox and turning it into a guided tour is loving stupid
Branching missions are even worse; asking the player to choose the future course of the rest of your campaign before 1500 is just dogshit design. What if you lock yourself into a path and the circumstances of that campaign makes that expansion path non viable? or you change your mind 100 years later?

Furthermore stacking them full of powerful permanent modifiers incentivizes you to play the game optimally instead of doing weird poo poo like Swedish colonial empire or whatever

Without missions we wouldn't have Anbennar so any vanilla defiecenies they cause are worth it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Has anyone tried Hanukah Mutapa yet? Seems like the main challenge is getting up to Ethiopia before they convert their Jewish provinces, unless there's some other way of switching I'm forgetting.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I stopped playing HoI4 due in large part to the Focus Trees getting loving MASSIVE and super convoluted, plus the spy system. I dont mind mission trees in EU4, but big complicated mission trees with hidden options and branching paths may be a bridge too far for me. As others have said, the user experience looking at mission trees is terrible. Needing to research what the trees do outside of the game is terrible. Getting locked into something when you dont know what it will do for you when an individual game can take dozens of hours to go from start to finish doesnt sit well with me. Them being powerful modifiers that you want to collect are like the spy system in HoI4 that yeah you can ignore it, but then people like me have those "you're making your life harder by not utilizing one of the tools available to you" brainworms, which makes feel like I have to use them, which I dont like.

I dont think mission trees are bad, but I think too much is being put into them and they're being relied on to carry, uh, "weight" (?) that they shouldnt be. I guess I'm saying that it would be nice if they made missions more approachable/readable, not overly complex, and found another way to push a narrative or have Number Go Up mechanisms?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 16, 2022

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

The new Riga mission tree is so fun. Its hilarious to have a loan size of 60 while making a surplus of 40 a month.

Also having factions and estates at the same time is awesome. I hated playing republics because of that.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 17, 2022

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If by awesome you mean stupidly overpowered, sure.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Other people: Oh boy, Scandi patch, gonna play all the nordic countries.

Me: lmao W40K achievement

Been a while since I formed Germany, Finland up there is a March and Russia is under PU to me.

Also the game doesn't like counting large wars I guess, lmao

Also it goes without saying but I was outnumbered 2:1 in that war but lmao Prussia.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
You know who else has the Prussian government? Zulu.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

I went on a blind attempt at Yarr Harr A Pirate's Life For Me (control the entire carribean as New Providence) into The Freest Man In The World (Forcibly abolish slavery as a pirate nation with the War Against The World reform) and it went fairly well for a couple of centuries and I got the former achievement but the run is probably done for in general due to the extremely longstanding Spain-GB Personal Union, France who has that modifier where they want my poo poo and there's nothing I can do about it (Despite being a loyal ally for a century, they got bored of me, I guess) and for some reason, hyper-tuned patch Danes. Portugal, I can deal with Portugual.

I did have a very entertaining war however, where I was target of a Colonialism CB from an alliance of Spain/GB and Portugal and since my land forces kind of blow I was inevitably going to lose a chunk of Panama to them. But I was also at war with Denmark, who really really wanted Puerto Rico, for some reason. And had a bigger navy than me by themselves, for some reason.
Now, the bulk of the British Navy was off slapping France off its shores in Europe by a stroke of luck, so they only had a few patrols in the Carribean, plus the piddly 15 or so ships each of colonial Columbia, Mexico, Brazil and Peru. Who were getting into baby fights with colonial French Columbia's navies. Now, pirate nations have very funny bonuses to capturing ships in battle, and I had a 70-strong Danish fleet trying to do landings on my best islands.
So naturally, I group up my depleted 40-strong navy and do a lap of the Gulf of Mexico hoovering up all the baby fights between France and Britain, slap a black flag on them, and drive off the Danes with a fleet of almost entirely stolen ships.
Lost two provinces in Panama to the Portugese, but got an entire lightly-used Danish armada.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Okay, why did they change Poland to always get Lithuania? It was only a 90% chance to get it before, but I did see that they chose a local noble... And still got Lithuania. Was this announced somewhere bc it seems a senseless change

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Okay, why did they change Poland to always get Lithuania? It was only a 90% chance to get it before, but I did see that they chose a local noble... And still got Lithuania. Was this announced somewhere bc it seems a senseless change

If you're Lithuania they won't, but yes I remember it was discussed before the chat. No idea why. Maybe because Lithuania is so good now.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
It was in the dev diaries.

quote:

This was done in order to further facilitate the idea that Poland and Lithuania make a great co-op campaign, which is also complimented by both mission trees granting bonuses that follow the spirit of cooperation between the two nations.

So I guess for more historical accuracy? I think it was just easier to get the ai to work through the tree this way.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Poland always getting Lithuania results in the Baltic dudes have rather stressful early games.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Coming from HOI4 it seems pretty overwhelming playing this. Is there a good guide or youtuber I should watch?

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

See my earlier tirade about guided tour
I dont even know what the weights are for the AI choosing to go the "Poland joins the HRE" branch instead but even the non branching missions are designed with the assumption that you are PUing Lithuania

Oh boy Ive completed my first mission after choosing a mission branch I wonder if it'll complement the choice I made:

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 18, 2022

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

They don't always get Lithuania anyway, I've seen Lithuania remain independent a few times in the new patch.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I've only seen em get split up because Sweden or Gotland pull them into a war with Denmark, which can kick off before the PU starts, and it gos horribly wrong and they get beat down.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Yeah it might be happening because one or both of them end up in a war before the event can fire, I'm not entirely sure. I was restarting a lot while messing around with the scandi countries and seeing who would support my independence bids.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

poland can still choose to take the local noble, but if lithuania is AI and poland takes jagelion they get the PU 100 percent of the time

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Funky Valentine posted:

Poland always getting Lithuania results in the Baltic dudes have rather stressful early games.

Your best bet as a small Baltic dude would be allying one or more of the bigger dogs who are likely to hate Poland (Austria, Hungary, Denmark, Muscovy)

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Kild posted:

Coming from HOI4 it seems pretty overwhelming playing this. Is there a good guide or youtuber I should watch?

ryukyu

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
So I started a game and Poland didn't take the union or rather I guess Lithuania didn't take the union. Poland didn't join the HRE or get claims on Lithuania so I'm guessing it was all Lithuania...or it was a masterful AI Ruthenia plot cause they tag swapped.

Either way ya I guess the union can still fail.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Weird. I saw the Poland event for them picking a local noble and then they got the union the next time I saw. I don't think there was a war so maybe it was just a random one

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Well thats one way to fix not joining the HRE.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I see Poland has decided to start migrating north to avoid the expanding Ottoman.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
That was their best path to get the novgorod claims. With no claims on Lithuan..I mean Ruthenia they went around.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

Box wine posted:

So I started a game and Poland didn't take the union or rather I guess Lithuania didn't take the union. Poland didn't join the HRE or get claims on Lithuania so I'm guessing it was all Lithuania...or it was a masterful AI Ruthenia plot cause they tag swapped.

Those are branching mission rewards. Again, if they take the local noble, they do not get the 100 percent union with Lithuania but that doesnt mean that they also immediately automatically join the HRE or get claims.
It is also still possible for Poland to take the local noble and then get a PU over Lithuania the normal (random) way

Box wine posted:

Either way ya I guess the union can still fail.

If poland doesnt choose it, it wont happen. If they choose to, it will happen 100 percent

Edit: Thats weird ive never seen an AI change their primary culture before

Mr. Grinch fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 19, 2022

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Ok so you need to complete Delegate with the Emporer to get the claims on Lithuania. Which requires either 160 and alliance, or 60 trust and a royal marriage with Austria. I can see this being a problem for some people and definitely for the ai. I instinctively just married/allied Austria when I played Poland which made me think this was a lot more of a freebee than it is. Heck they could mess up on the Varna mission even.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
New missions are cool, sweden usually ends up being a big player now, and poland and lithuania seems to be a random dice roll. Good expansion. Grinch calm down.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Even after all this time I still get a kick out of the scornful insults.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

New missions are cool, sweden usually ends up being a big player now, and poland and lithuania seems to be a random dice roll. Good expansion. Grinch calm down.

I didnt say the expansion is bad, im enjoying it myself. Im not gonna rehash my opinion on the theme park aspect but I will correct anyone who posts misinformation about how event chains work

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Mr. Grinch posted:

I didnt say the expansion is bad, im enjoying it myself. Im not gonna rehash my opinion on the theme park aspect but I will correct anyone who posts misinformation about how event chains work

I don't totally disagree with you on it being a bit more historically representative, but theres still plenty of randomness to the game to provide a good single player experience and we are talking about a game thats 10 years old most people in this thread have thousands of hours in. Each theater turns out differently most games aside from the balkans and anatolia which typically remains ottoman no matter how badly they eat poo poo early game...

Actually now that i consider it, I would say scandinavia is the one place that is probably more consistent than even those regions. I have never seen an AI britain, russia, poland, germany ever conquer scandinavia, it always remains in the hands of the nords.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
I just noticed that 1.34 gave pirate republics some new gov't reforms that basically fix their governing capacity problems. And also a reform that lets you raze provinces like a horde.

Pirate Ryukyu world conquest coming right up, I guess...

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Beating up the Ottomans will never not be satisfying.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007

Half-wit posted:

Beating up the Ottomans will never not be satisfying.

Man, when you get a bit down the crusader branch of the Teutonic Order's mission tree... even before you fully unlock the Holy Horde... you be rollin' your boys over numerically superior Ottoman armies in the 1500s when the Ottos are supposed to enjoy maximum superiority. And taking their lunch money. It's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

poland is incredibly powerful rn