Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Show was (very, very) briefly featured in the HBO trailer of coming attractions (~ 0:43), without the explicit addition of "Coming next year", so we'll get a conclusion this year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWsY3DlLdIA

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Aug 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Didn't they get the notice that it was cancelled after filming the third season and the showrunner insisted that the cancelation wasn't real?

Edit:Vvvvvv that's kind of what I meant, just kind of temper your expectation for a conclusion. Unless the season ends in a they get back but some new dudes get fired into space ending.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 23, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
From what little I gather from what's going on (ie nothing), it's almost certainly dead. I just can't see something so niche that was already expensive to produce getting so lucky again. Damned shame; this show is great

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Reality has jumped the show’s shark, anyways. What can the show possibly do when reality consistently outpaces satire?

At the same time, I want more and it’s so perfect. It’s everything Don’t Look Up wanted to be...

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I didn’t love most of the show but that scene at the airlock was utterly perfect.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

qirex posted:

I didn’t love most of the show but that scene at the airlock was utterly perfect.

Ended up being too perfect. I had forgotten this show was canceled so I got to be disappointed again today but I’ll reiterate what I’m now 99% sure I said the first time around: excited to see what Ianucci does next, at least

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

he recently tweeted that it hadn’t been cancelled despite the sets being struck and the actors being released from their contracts, so it’s kind of a Schrodinger's Cancellation right now

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

emgeejay posted:

he recently tweeted that it hadn’t been cancelled despite the sets being struck and the actors being released from their contracts

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah and my girlfriend didn't really dump me other than taking all her stuff, blocking my texts, and deleting me off social media.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
They finished season 2 though?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

https://youtu.be/re7vMjHDang

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Is that a second cruise liner diving into the Sun?

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Rappaport posted:

Is that a second cruise liner diving into the Sun?

Given the trailer also talking about the number of years to get back and the food running low, I'm guessing maybe they decide to attempt some sort of gravity boost using the sun?

I'm very pumped about season 2, this show just nails a really particular vibe that you don't normally get.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's counterintuitive, but when they're way out by the gas giants would be the best time to adjust their course for a close encounter with the sun. Then at the sun they would be able to adjust their course for Earth more easily than on their current orbit. This general approach is called a bi-elliptical transfer and it can be faster for long trips. The orbital mechanics of it make sense.

They're still looking at something like two years minimum. If they had enough fuel to get down to the sun in under 500 days they would also be able to point the nose at Earth and go home.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It's true, ya know. (I work in VFX)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Arglebargle III posted:

It's counterintuitive, but when they're way out by the gas giants would be the best time to adjust their course for a close encounter with the sun. Then at the sun they would be able to adjust their course for Earth more easily than on their current orbit. This general approach is called a bi-elliptical transfer and it can be faster for long trips. The orbital mechanics of it make sense.

They're still looking at something like two years minimum. If they had enough fuel to get down to the sun in under 500 days they would also be able to point the nose at Earth and go home.

It’s how the Hermes goes back to get Watney, isn’t it?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

If I recall they're actually going relatively fast and will be down system soon, but they lack much fuel to change course at this point since they burned most of it in the bungled gravity manoeuvre, and will have to make multiple orbits around the sun before they can intercept Earth. Looks like they've figured out a way by just deleting the "don't plot a trajectory this close to the sun" safeguard.

The_Doctor posted:

It’s how the Hermes goes back to get Watney, isn’t it?

Yeah, in the movie they kinda present it as a simple slingshot around but the full maneuver involved slingshotting Earth to accelerate them down sunwards and then slingshotting the sun to catch up to mars after looping around, with the big reason it was risky similarly being that the Hermes wasn't designed to go that close to the sun and they'd be taking somewhat dangerous radiation levels.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Sep 17, 2022

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Lemony posted:

Given the trailer also talking about the number of years to get back and the food running low, I'm guessing maybe they decide to attempt some sort of gravity boost using the sun?

I'm very pumped about season 2, this show just nails a really particular vibe that you don't normally get.

Agreed! I can't quite put my finger on what the vibe is exactly. Its like dark, desperate comedy mixed with slowly accelerating disaster. The adults are NOT in control of this situation!

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I would describe it as grounded absurdity. Its very rare I think a character is doing something that is outside of their character. Even the infamous airlock scene, to me, is completely believable. That even when people literally see the truth in front of their eyes they refuse to believe and act like they were right all along. Hell, even at the end of that scene, after seeing like 8 people become desiccated, the VFX lady is still hesitant to admit she was wrong.

Or the space baby episode where someone mentions one idea that gains a little bit of traction and suddenly they all forget to actually check on what is making the beep, instead just believing some random thing a quasi-expert said.

Or the various times they get worked up into a mob and start calling for the deaths of people who had nothing to do with whatever the problem was they are facing.

Or Karen just unilaterally deciding to shoot out the luggage on the side instead of the back. I mean, her logic is flawless and she always believes she was right so why wouldn't she inadvertently doom them all because she obviously always knows better.

Its just so insane, and absurd, yet completely believable.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Well, I rewatched season 1 this weekend and I had forgotten a lot of good craziness. Season 2 can't come soon enough! :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

limp_cheese posted:

Its just so insane, and absurd, yet completely believable.

And season one was written and shot before Covid hit and it became horrifyingly clear how much those ridiculous reactions were actually widespread and common, too, so you have to wonder if they're going to be upping it this season from our new benchmark.

It's been said many a time but it's amazing how much of it feels like a reaction to 2020 when it predates it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 18, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It seems like season 2 is going to be the last season, shall we lay odds on how it'll end?

My prediction: they realise if they pack everyone into the old cargo ship avenue 5 is built on top of and eject the liner section they'll be light enough to make a burn to get back to earth, but they gently caress it up and are left with a few years journey, except now instead of being trapped in a luxury liner they're all crowded into the rusting bowels of an old cargo ship sleeping on makeshift hammocks.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 18, 2022

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Every time I think back on this show, it’s with an air of depression. There’s definitely this air of “oh my gOD THESE loving IDIOTS” since Covid and Brexit and god, just everything. :negative:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MikeJF posted:

And season one was written and shot before Covid hit and it became horrifyingly clear how much those ridiculous reactions were actually widespread and common, too, so you have to wonder if they're going to be upping it this season from our new benchmark.

It's been said many a time but it's amazing how much of it feels like a reaction to 2020 when it predates it.

My partner, myself and my father binge-watched the whole series on Boxing Day 2020. He'd just driven us back from the family home because lockdowns were imminent and we had to cancel our stay. He was staying the night before driving home the next day.

My dad's a covid denialist and an anti-(covid)vaxxer, and a hardcore brexiteer. He was laughing and laughing at the people throwing themselves into space (because it was all a lie created to keep SHEEPLE frightened and obedient!!). Such idiots! How could they be so dumb? So pig ignorant and sure of themselves in the overwhelming face of reality?

My partner and I were just looking at each other in disbelief. He couldn't even begin to discern that he would have been one of them.

A lot of people have gone fuckin' crazy.

Otherwise, yeah, it's remarkably prescient - eerily so, frankly. Felt uncanny. Another series that was at least planned before the pandemic (though it shot during) that felt incredibly apposite was Station Eleven, which everyone ITT should watch if they haven't already.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm sad this show isn't getting a third season, because you know Ianucci would have made hay out of the UK's response to the Queen's death (the Queen in this show being played by Judd's corpse).

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm sad this show isn't getting a third season, because you know Ianucci would have made hay out of the UK's response to the Queen's death (the Queen in this show being played by Judd's corpse).

I doubt it, he's a middle class liberal he probably loving loves her.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I dunno I'm probably not that hooked into wherever you are but I don't think there's anything particularly extraordinary about the UK response? Buncha mourners, standard mourning period and events as set down decades ago, media goes overboard in the normal way, all the usual, enjoy the days off work, coronate the next one, move on.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Most countries don't shut down everyone's medical appointments because an old lady dies. That is definitely not standard mourning behaviour.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They closed bike racks for the period of mourning. As in, if you rode your bike somewhere, you weren't allowed to lock your bike to the bike rack because the queen died.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

They closed bike racks for the period of mourning. As in, if you rode your bike somewhere, you weren't allowed to lock your bike to the bike rack because the queen died.

quote:

As part of our careful and respectful response to the passing of Queen Elizabeth II, we have closed one cycle rack outside City Hall, which is within the designated area where people can lay their floral tributes," the spokesperson said.

"All other cycle racks in the city remain open, including those just a few feet away from City Hall."

99% of the stuff the a internet loves to post ends up being things like this.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's hard to sort out a precipitous decline in governance over the last week from the UK's precipitous decline in governance over the last 10 years.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Irish Times posted:

Having a monarchy next door is a little like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and has daubed their house with clown murals, displays clown dolls in each window and has an insatiable desire to hear about and discuss clown-related news stories. More specifically, for the Irish, it’s like having a neighbour who’s really into clowns and, also, your grandfather was murdered by a clown.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Just finished season 1 and now very happy that season 2 starts in a week. Gonna suck to have to switch to weekly viewing now.

Also, it’s 2 and a half years old but:

qirex posted:

So the next one will be named “America” officially but everyone will call it Avenue 6?

this was funny and overlooked. I laughed!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Season 2 recap, delivered in character: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffHOFXsKFk

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

New episode is out and god drat has this show kept its stride.

I had to pause it at "You should be out there living it up like a World War 2 GI that just liberated Paris."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A great episode, but half an hour episodes are killing me.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
They did a great job with everything...strange though that the ship had enough thrust to push it into the sun but not back to Earth but I'm not gonna care about that as long as the show keeps happening.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

they don't need to just hit earth, they need to rendezvous with earth, slamming into earth at 500000mph isn't enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

MikeJF posted:

they don't need to just hit earth, they need to rendezvous with earth, slamming into earth at 500000mph isn't enough

Oh yeah that makes a lot of sense and I should have realized given how much KSP I've played also my dad was a literal rocket scientist.
:eng99: