Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
HBO's new Avenue 5 is currently airing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRuU-_dOtk0&t=97s

quote:

Avenue 5 has been described as "set in the future, mostly in space." On board the interplanetary cruise ship the Avenue 5, a massive systems malfunction sends the titular vessel far off course. It's estimated it will take the ship three years to return to Earth, and with only enough supplies to sustain her many passengers for the intended eight week long cruise, the crew of the Avenue 5 must struggle to maintain order and return the craft safely.

Spoilers for the 1st episode for all content below:

Characters:

The cast is, of course, this being an Armando Iannucci (The Thick of it, Veep) show, relies strongly on its cast and their interactions. Here are the main cast members!

Captain Ryan Clark played by Hugh Laurie: Savior of Avenue 3, he has been chosen to captain Avenue 5. Slight problem: he's not the captain. Not really. He's the show-captain; the ship flies itself. Usually. Unless something goes wrong.

Herman Judd played by Josh Gad, billionaire owner of Avenue 5. He is a loving doofus and we all hate him. We're supposed to. His "Judd" branding is everywhere.

Billie McEvoy played by Lenora Crichlow, an engineer on Avenue 5. She is the captain's voice of ... knowledge.

Matt Spencer played by Zach Woods, Head of Customer Relations for Avenue 5. He is bad at his job, but also clearly unhinged.

Karen Kelly played by Rebecca Front, a passenger aboard Avenue 5. She reeks "hostile takeover" energy.

Iris Kimura played by Suzy Nakamura, Herman Judd's... wrangler.

Rav Mulcair played by Nikki Amuka-Bird, head of Mission Control. She and her scenes are on Earth.

Spike Martin played by Ethan Phillips, a former astronaut. Yes, it's Neelix. Willing to put his dongle just about wherever.

SO, WHAT'S THE SHOW ABOUT?

There's a mysterious fuckup on board and now the cruise ship (in space!) is stuck on a 3-year journey--not the planned 8-week trip originally scheduled. The crew have to keep the passengers in line as they try to find a way home!

SO, WHAT'S THE SHOW ACTUALLY ABOUT?

It's about politics, and how realistically incompetent people are and how excruciatingly absurd life is.

SHOULD I WATCH IT?

Well, I think so, I made an OP for it.

WHY?

Oh, ok! Well:

1. The setting. The actual experience of being on Avenue 5 is pretty amazing. The set design is just off the charts. This might seem like a weird "Point 1", but it's the first thing you'll notice.

Here's an article about it. But here's what you really want: photos:

But like a real cruise ship, anywhere not passenger-facing is very different:

... And what about Earth? Um, well... it's not doing... super.

2. The worldbuilding.

The Earth has changed, and this is not what I'd consider a... "good" future. But it feels horrifically credible. And let's be honest, it's all a metaphor for the way things already are.

However, I really enjoy how well-integrated it is. They don't tell you anything outright. In fact, we don't even know how far in the future this actually is. However, on top of clothing styles, tech, and other sorts of details that let us know it's not 2020 (similar to how well Spike Jonez's Her accomplished the same effect), we know the Pacific went toxic, we've come out of the Huawei Wars, France experiences famines, and the capital of the United States is now Buffalo, NY. That's where the presidents live....

Depending on how literally you take some of the lines, there are even bigger, grimmer effects in play. However, we're on a cruise ship for wealthy people. So we don't want to think about those things... too much, do we? :)

3. The humor!

This one trips a lot of people up, because the show isn't really... ha-ha funny most of the time. It has a super weird vibe. The show is actually mostly a drama, a bit of a thriller, a political intrigue plot, and then a comedy, I'd say in about that order. I personally find it hilarious, but in a very... down-to-earth way? Where it feels like the jokes are mostly integrated in well enough that they don't ping as "jokes" that the characters "are telling". I'd say it's a comedy like one of my favorite films, Dark Star, is a comedy. If you haven't seen Dark Star, do that!

What humor is obviously humor is mostly very dark or in a weird dark-cringe space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldpm9ft12dI

[content being written]

.GIF HOUSE:

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
For more content as needed

Pick fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 29, 2020

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Great op, thank you. I'm still confused about whether I like this show or not, based on whether or not it's the show I wanted it to be vs what it is, which is on me.

Part of that is, I think, because the characters in The Thick of It, and Veep were, in my mind, vaguely nominally competent and there for a reason, even Malcolm is at his heart an idealist. If literally everyone except for Billie (maybe Rav?) is a buffoon it's a different show than what I'm used to from Ianucci. Again, that's on me to get past.

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 29, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Chubby Henparty posted:

Isn't it zach woods?

Oops, corrected typo--thanks!

quote:

Great op, thank you. I'm still confused about whether I like this show or not, based on whether or not it's the show I wanted it to be vs what it is, which is on me.

I am also confused by a lot of things about this show, and I like it beyond understanding why I like it so much.

I do think it's a legitimately challenging show for the viewer, because absolutely nothing plays out the way a traditional narrative would've seen it play out. Some people find this very frustrating. So do I, sometimes! But it's because my assumptions are violated, not that the show has made an error or misapplied its internal logic. It requires you to experience the world slowly and figure out its internal logic.

I was expecting, for example, to poo poo to get really real, really fast, but the passengers are still largely annoyed, and focused on litigating the issue and leaving bad reviews. At first I was like "what the gently caress" and then a lightbulb went off and I was like "oooooooooooooooh"

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

That's fair - that could definitely all be future society, with just enough relatable realness poking through like the captain's marital woes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Personal thoughts/suspicions/comments:

- The ship design has a foreward/aftward aspect that has been downplayed thus far but is very obvious in the ship design and I think there will be a Snowpiercer-esque direction it takes at some point. We've seen the show note the people who work in its service positions.

- Karen at some point will take over the ship but the nature of the passengers and particularly the crew will make even her strong and surprisingly competent leadership nevertheless untenable.

- That annoying married couple will have gotten back together by the very end.

- comment: OH NO HUGH LAURIE'S MARRIAGE :( :( :(

- I think Spike is the one loving up the ship for reasons that are largely personal. I think it's the means to an ends though and the show's not really "about" that

- I get the impression the Huawei Wars might come back, and might be the reason that--if we take characters literally--China has a greater population than the rest of the world combined, Pennsylvania now post-"before the fires", cattle don't exist, the capital of the US is in Buffalo, one of the presidents seems to be an Alexa version of WOPR, France has famines, the "Pacific went toxic", Google folded, and fish boiled to death.

Pick fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 29, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Chubby Henparty posted:

Part of that is, I think, because the characters in The Thick of It, and Veep were, in my mind, vaguely nominally competent and there for a reason, even Malcolm is at his heart an idealist.

To me the show's characters isn't mean enough. The thing that made Veep and Death of Stalin funny (and scary) was that everyone was a bad guy only looking out for her/himself. But its good to see Lenora Crichlow on the screen again, even if it's so far her least interesting role.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The White House.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, it's implied that not venting the wetsuit was part of "sabotage" on the ship, but if you watch that episode again, Billie writes on her hand to vent the wetsuit, and then at some point in that episode forgets (washes her hands maybe?), and then asks who forgot to vent it, so this one I think isn't indicative of meddling like the grav function might be.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Spike does have weird reactions to the various crises, though. When he first sees the Wetsuit explosion he seems pleasantly excited, and attempts to use it as a way to take charge of the bridge crew. He chats with the "oxygen leak" alarm and attempts to use the crisis to become a part of the bridge crew. And when the gravity flip happens in the pilot he attempts to take control again, but he also has that dialogue where he tries to threaten Matt but Matt isn't having any of it. ("And you'll be the first to die" or something...)

So he seems pretty suspicious, even though he also has no idea how the technology involved in space travel works any more. He keeps on positioning himself as confident and educated, but he's neither, and he's really just backing himself into the exact same corner that Ryan Clark has found himself stuck in.

Matt, meanwhile, is pretty clearly not remotely incompetent, but is also absolutely committed to doing the worst job possible. Every single interaction he has emphasises the disunity between the crew and seems to be an attempt to stoke their frustrations and dissatisfaction.

So they're my two suspects.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Spike has a goal like "be the first guy to set foot on a new planet" not just the 30th man on Mars ("and the first Canadian!") and the ship is part of the plan. If we were to analyze the new trajectory, if it shows them passing by anything else interesting really closely, that might be our culprit.

Also, I just think it's conspicuous he was cast with the guy who played Neelix--I don't think that is a coincidence. The rest of the cast are from everywhere.

But I'd say the casting is mostly excellent, but the biggest mismatch might actually be Hugh Laurie? Bear with me here, I love him on the show. But that might be the problem. He's Hugh Laurie! He's so, so loveable!

All the characters are incredibly hard on him, as the faux-Captain, and we have scenes that are seemingly meant to make us "come around" to him. But we already like him! He's Hugh Laurie! And we feel sorry for him when people are mean to him!

I get the sense that he was supposed to be a less likable character ("oh, a handsome older white man who seems to know what he's doing but OBVIOUSLY doesn't", and perhaps even to an extent riff on his House persona) and we're supposed to resent him on those grounds. But he's loving Hugh Laurie, so we don't. He's meant to play his part in the political metaphor as the no-nothing figurehead George W Bush type, but... hugh laurie, so

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hmm, look how close we pass to Mars?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That's an angle I hadn't considered with Spike, that's pretty good. He does spend an awful lot of time hanging out with the midlife crisis gang. I figured he just wanted power and attention, but the spacewalk / landing stuff makes sense too.

Agree on the casting, which I think has been absolutely excellent. Though if we follow your logic with the politicial metaphor, we're gonna see Captain Ryan outsted from his captaincy (out an airlock?? :S) and the next season will be a big poo poo show conflict between Karen and Judd.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's an angle I hadn't considered with Spike, that's pretty good. He does spend an awful lot of time hanging out with the midlife crisis gang. I figured he just wanted power and attention, but the spacewalk / landing stuff makes sense too.

I think he has a goal that is probably just chaotic neutral. It serves as an inciting incident. However, they mentioned the ship is laaaargely self-sufficient. What if the goal is to use Avenue 5 as a way to colonize Mars? Land it there, people can't get back without NASA properly funding the space program again... maybe a new chance for a new world, where otherwise the Moon has canonically been turned into a prison.

quote:

Agree on the casting, which I think has been absolutely excellent. Though if we follow your logic with the politicial metaphor, we're gonna see Captain Ryan outsted from his captaincy (out an airlock?? :S) and the next season will be a big poo poo show conflict between Karen and Judd.

hmm yes. hard to see any political parallels here. that would be very hard to see . americas not like that. that... didn't... happen :gonk:

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

This was a show I wasn't the least bit interested until I caught the first episode on an afternoon marathon and thought why the gently caress not.

This is one of the funniest show I have ever seen and everyone I've talked to has never heard of it. Its so absurd yet feels so plausible. This most recent episode where one mention of an oxygen leak makes the crew believe it immediately yet they can't stop telling drat near EVERYONE about it before they make sure that's the actual problem.

Hugh Laurie is of course amazing in this but Zach Woods needs mentioning too. Matt is just so unbelievably weird and unpredictable even with how he reacts to things he's mentioned.He makes every situation worse yet is somehow trying to help like with the stand-up comic. Saying to him "You're banal as poo poo!" but its a compliment because of the situation they find themselves in. I really want to know why he keeps all this pictures on the wall of his room. I couldn't really read the notes when I paused it.

I'm still waiting to see how the "help" eventually reacts to all this. They keep on hinting at the divide between passenger and crew but it hasn't bubbled to the surface yet. Other than a throwaway line in an earlier episode they really haven't dealt with the impending shortages. Sure the ship is technically self sufficient, but try telling that to a bunch of spoiled rich people who get pissed they ran out of Tiramisu.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Never got into Veep but I'm enjoying this. Zach Woods is great as always.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm really enjoying this show, I'm glad there's finally a thread that lets me talk about it.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Part of that is, I think, because the characters in The Thick of It, and Veep were, in my mind, vaguely nominally competent and there for a reason, even Malcolm is at his heart an idealist. If literally everyone except for Billie (maybe Rav?) is a buffoon it's a different show than what I'm used to from Ianucci. Again, that's on me to get past.

I don't think everyone is a buffoon. Everything is just set up in two layers. There's the front facing layer that's full of buffoons who can play a role but they don't really do anything. There's the behind the scenes layer that's made up of people who know what they are doing. Their society seems to be set up in a way that normal people always see the facade that's full of regular people that they can related to. The people in the background are people you wouldn't really want to interact with, but they have the knowledge and they get things done. This is most obvious with the fake bridge crew and the real bridge crew. But you can also see it with the government. The white house was moved to a generic part of the country and has a cool person as "president" that just agrees to whatever. Then there is the real president who has the facts and sets terms that will allow the plan to be successful. Then you have Judd where he's clearly just some rich douche who happens to have enough money to get people to do things for him.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

this is one of the few shows I look forward to watching most lately, and I can't even pinpoint why. it's just fun and funny with an undercurrent of hosed upness. (the other show I look forward to most right now is Miracle Workers Dark Ages, which has kind of the same tone. I'm consistent)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Crusty Nutsack posted:

this is one of the few shows I look forward to watching most lately, and I can't even pinpoint why. it's just fun and funny with an undercurrent of hosed upness. (the other show I look forward to most right now is Miracle Workers Dark Ages, which has kind of the same tone. I'm consistent)

I genuinely like the female characters in Avenue 5, there are a lot of them and they feel far more like people than they do like "the female character". There's a bit of an undercurrent of it in Billie's lack of recognition but for the most part it's more like life where people are just doing stuff and though it has an influence it isn't something that results in one person being a pink motorcycle while everyone else is a semi truck.

Still to me, the funniest moment in the show so far is when they're disposing of the three dead passengers and Iris is saying goodbye to Mary, someone else, and uh... other Mary!

It's just so realistically awkward, it's just perfectly done.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Pick posted:

I genuinely like the female characters in Avenue 5, there are a lot of them and they feel far more like people than they do like "the female character". There's a bit of an undercurrent of it in Billie's lack of recognition but for the most part it's more like life where people are just doing stuff and though it has an influence it isn't something that results in one person being a pink motorcycle while everyone else is a semi truck.

yeah that's true, the female characters are the ones I like best. they're the smartest and they literally take care of the men and their fuckups. very relatable lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoKGo5kfBvA

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pick posted:

The show is actually mostly a drama, a bit of a thriller, a political intrigue plot, and then a comedy, I'd say in about that order.

Pick posted:

I am also confused by a lot of things about this show, and I like it beyond understanding why I like it so much.

I do think it's a legitimately challenging show for the viewer, because absolutely nothing plays out the way a traditional narrative would've seen it play out.
It's just a sitcom though? It's good. It's very good. But it's not some weird, ground-breaking new type of show. It's a bog standard sitcom.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

the other show I look forward to most right now is Miracle Workers Dark Ages, which has kind of the same tone.
I really liked the first season of Miracle Workers, but the second season is... just fine? Also, I'm really confused about how it's even the same show? Like, how does a show get renewed for a second season but the setting, characters and plot are all completely different? That's just a new show, right? What about this season is even "Miracle Workers" any more?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's definitely not just a sitcom, in the same way that Shaun of the Dead wasn't just a comedy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also, please make wild predictions. the bad ones will be forgotten, but if you're right you will get a HUGE boner/your clit will feel great

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Tiggum posted:

I really liked the first season of Miracle Workers, but the second season is... just fine? Also, I'm really confused about how it's even the same show? Like, how does a show get renewed for a second season but the setting, characters and plot are all completely different? That's just a new show, right? What about this season is even "Miracle Workers" any more?

the actors are the same that's about it lol I really have no idea wtf either with regards to that. but I actually like this season better, I think it's funnier and the characters are less annoying.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I agree that at times this show can get frustrating to watch, mostly because every single character is so drat incompetent, even the "smart" ones. Billie is the closest thing we have to a non-idiot, and even she only kind of knows what she's doing.

And also, because I'm a hopeless space nerd, I want to know what the rules are in this universe. Are there any other spaceships out there or are they completely alone? (I don't think they ever explicitly said that Avenue 3 was a spaceship; it could be an ocean liner for all we know.) Can the ship maneuver at all? We know it'll be a big expensive operation for NASA to come save them when they (eventually) fly past Earth, but what was their original plan for stopping at the end of the voyage?

And yes, I know that none of this stuff is relevant to what the show actually is. But still, to an old-school sci-fi nerd it feels like very basic background info about the setting, and it can get irritating when the show keeps failing to mention any of it. I kind of want to sit in on one of Spike's lectures.

But all that said... I love the characters, incompetence and all. I love that the Karen is literally named Karen. I love the poor in-over-his-head sham Captain. And "My door is always broken" is one of the best lines I've heard in a long time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

precision posted:

It's definitely not just a sitcom, in the same way that Shaun of the Dead wasn't just a comedy
And what way is that? I guess you could call Shaun of the Dead a horror comedy (in that it's a comedy built around the cliches of horror) so you could also call Avenue 5 a sci-fi sitcom. But its core is still a sitcom.

Pick posted:

Also, please make wild predictions. the bad ones will be forgotten, but if you're right you will get a HUGE boner/your clit will feel great
In the final episode of the season, just as they're about to be rescued, something will go dramatically wrong, dooming them to at least another year (probably more) in space. It will seem like deliberate sabotage, but early in season two will be revealed to be an accident.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

And also, because I'm a hopeless space nerd, I want to know what the rules are in this universe. Are there any other spaceships out there or are they completely alone? (I don't think they ever explicitly said that Avenue 3 was a spaceship; it could be an ocean liner for all we know.) Can the ship maneuver at all? We know it'll be a big expensive operation for NASA to come save them when they (eventually) fly past Earth, but what was their original plan for stopping at the end of the voyage?

And yes, I know that none of this stuff is relevant to what the show actually is. But still, to an old-school sci-fi nerd it feels like very basic background info about the setting, and it can get irritating when the show keeps failing to mention any of it. I kind of want to sit in on one of Spike's lectures.

I do agree on this, but the show does--what I personally consider--a good job teasing it at the exact rate that I believe they do have some ground-rules but they're just trickling out to us slowly.

It's unlikely that Avenue 5 is the only spaceship; recall that the moon is a prison.

(Also, Joe was captain of Avenue 3 as well, so ostensibly also a space man then, though you're right that technically we don't know.) Also, Judd Headquarters has a rocket in the background.

That said, it does visually seem like Avenue 5 might be a repurposed vessel. They always hide the rear of the ship but it's aesthetically completely different, like it was originally designed for something else.

quote:

But all that said... I love the characters, incompetence and all. I love that the Karen is literally named Karen. I love the poor in-over-his-head sham Captain. And "My door is always broken" is one of the best lines I've heard in a long time.

That is a loving fantastic line.

Pick fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 1, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

In the final episode of the season, just as they're about to be rescued, something will go dramatically wrong, dooming them to at least another year (probably more) in space. It will seem like deliberate sabotage, but early in season two will be revealed to be an accident.

You can definitely make this go as many or as few seasons as they want. I wasn't surprised by the renewal considering how expensive the sets and costumes must have been but it does seem it didn't get the reviews they hoped, so who knows for S3+

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If we're making bold predictions, I'm 100% certain that Matt is a perverse piece of poo poo who's horny for chaos and drama. It's no secret how much fun he's having, and every time someone seems to be having a good time he brings them down or undermines them. He used to just gently caress with passengers for fun, but now it's clear to him that they're all going to die, so he's just cutting loose and doing whatever the gently caress he wants.

Notice how he's never been brought in on the conspiracy. On ANY conspiracy. The show runs on conspiracies and secrets, who knows and who doesn't know anything, and who's willing to talk and in what way are they gonna break? Matt's never been part of one of the secrets Billie and Ryan are trying to keep hidden from everyone else. There's never been a moment where Matt's almost learnt something he shouldn't have -- but, instead, there have been plenty of times where he's clearly overheard something he shouldn't have, and he's just shut up and not acted on it.

Pick posted:

You can definitely make this go as many or as few seasons as they want. I wasn't surprised by the renewal considering how expensive the sets and costumes must have been but it does seem it didn't get the reviews they hoped, so who knows for S3+

The ads for the show were so so bad. Probably that's the point, to keep the audience in the dark about all the twists, and hide the fact that this show is a drama with some hidden premises, but they made it seem very different. Something closer to Community or even Parks and Rec, as opposed to this... thing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think Matt does genuinely represent what he says he does, nihilism. And so yes, he's just in it to see what hosed up thing happens and maybe provoke it further if possible. There's a character like that in Lord of the Flies also, Roger I think his name in, who is not a focal character but is always present to urge the most hosed up poo poo on. I think this also works in the political metaphor space.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show’s alright but the amount of gags that land is way less than in Veep or any other Iannucci work I’ve seen. Definitely improved from the first couple episodes, though.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Crusty Nutsack posted:

yeah that's true, the female characters are the ones I like best. they're the smartest and they literally take care of the men and their fuckups. very relatable lol

Honestly, the responsible female character is my least favorite. Women should be allowed to be fuckups too (like the ones in Veep).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I love Iris and Karen so much and they're bad :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Iris is the second best character on the show

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Iris loving rocks. The way her face lights up every time she was talking about the baby was frickin dope.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I'm really enjoying this show, I'm glad there's finally a thread that lets me talk about it.

I don't think everyone is a buffoon. Everything is just set up in two layers. There's the front facing layer that's full of buffoons who can play a role but they don't really do anything. There's the behind the scenes layer that's made up of people who know what they are doing. Their society seems to be set up in a way that normal people always see the facade that's full of regular people that they can related to. The people in the background are people you wouldn't really want to interact with, but they have the knowledge and they get things done. This is most obvious with the fake bridge crew and the real bridge crew. But you can also see it with the government. The white house was moved to a generic part of the country and has a cool person as "president" that just agrees to whatever. Then there is the real president who has the facts and sets terms that will allow the plan to be successful. Then you have Judd where he's clearly just some rich douche who happens to have enough money to get people to do things for him.

I was genuinely surprised when even Judd had an idea that worked in covering the poo poo ring with glitter and then lighting it with lasers, it was clearly set up to be a punchline but he actually does seem to know his poo poo (heeeeeeh) when it comes to branding and marketing. He's one of those ridiculous rich personalities who lives in a different universe than the rest of us, and needs people like Iris to actually handle the nuts and bolts of operating his business empire, but he does have some real creative insight and isn't a useless trust fund shitsack.

Despite the fact that nearly everyone is some kind of idiot on the surface, I think the series is actually kinda low-key optimistic about people in general not being useless, it's the systems we make for ourselves that makes fools of us in turn.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Seems the glittering turd cloud will have religious implications on today's ep

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
We've been discussing this show a bit in the Orville thread since it's also a space dramedy (and it's between seasons)

Pick posted:

I do think it's a legitimately challenging show for the viewer, because absolutely nothing plays out the way a traditional narrative would've seen it play out. Some people find this very frustrating. So do I, sometimes! But it's because my assumptions are violated, not that the show has made an error or misapplied its internal logic. It requires you to experience the world slowly and figure out its internal logic.

The pacing of the show and the looooooong wait between set ups and obvious payoffs (especially when they're pretty obvious) has been annoying me. In one episode Cyrus smugly announces that he's recalculated the trajectory and it will only take them six months and not three years to get back to earth, so everyone immediately accepts this and makes a big deal out of it ..... and it's not until halfway through the next episode that it's revealed that he made an obvious mistake and it will actually take them three years PLUS six months to get back.
I find it annoying that characters conveniently forget to ask the most obvious questions because it's necessary to move the plot along.

We should maybe also acknowledge that the show shares a fair bit of DNA with some classic "giant spaceship wandering aimlessly through space crewed entirely by idiots" scifi like Red Dwarf (which also has the "all the competent crew died so we're left with these morons" set up) and the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, particularly the Golgafrincham Ark Fleet Ship B which was functionally a cruise ship in space full of annoying useless passengers and deliberately staffed with the most incompetent crew ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogcQ7Z4bh5w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We've been discussing this show a bit in the Orville thread since it's also a space dramedy (and it's between seasons)

The pacing of the show and the looooooong wait between set ups and obvious payoffs (especially when they're pretty obvious) has been annoying me. In one episode Cyrus smugly announces that he's recalculated the trajectory and it will only take them six months and not three years to get back to earth, so everyone immediately accepts this and makes a big deal out of it ..... and it's not until halfway through the next episode that it's revealed that he made an obvious mistake and it will actually take them three years PLUS six months to get back.

I get that, although each episode is only half an hour long, but it feels like they're one-hour episodes, so I think it might not be possible to have it go too much faster on certain things.

Also, I think that specific one was partially to draw attention to the notion that 500--specifically 500--characters are lottery winners and weren't "meant" to be there. The same number given by the Other President. I think this is going to be their analogue for the real-life debate over immigration.