Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piano chimp
Feb 2, 2008

ye

Someone earlier in the thread said that you'll know if you're going to like Vintage Story or not by your reaction to flint knapping and clay forming at the start of the game, giving you enough time to refund it if it doesn't click. This seems like good advice because it certainly does seem like a love it/hate it kind of game.

It seems like there's a fair number of people playing at the moment - would there be any interest in a goon server? I'm considering spinning one up on an Azure trial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

iirc they added mod auto-download for joining servers that use mods from the official mod database so feel free to jam everything in there
vintage story accomplishes in five years what minecraft has been missing for 13 years, incredible

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

piano chimp posted:

Someone earlier in the thread said that you'll know if you're going to like Vintage Story or not by your reaction to flint knapping and clay forming at the start of the game, giving you enough time to refund it if it doesn't click. This seems like good advice because it certainly does seem like a love it/hate it kind of game.

It seems like there's a fair number of people playing at the moment - would there be any interest in a goon server? I'm considering spinning one up on an Azure trial.

That is true. I thought for sure I'd hate the knapping, molding, and smithing minigames (and I guess the prospecting minigame), but after giving it a chance I found them super immersive and relaxing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Travic posted:

That is true. I thought for sure I'd hate the knapping, molding, and smithing minigames (and I guess the prospecting minigame), but after giving it a chance I found them super immersive and relaxing.

VS has been really helpful getting me out of my min-max bad habits from my days of WoW, EVE, and heck even Project Zomboid. Realizing that it's cool and fine to take a break from smithing and casting (in my open side roofed smithery area) to just sit and listen to the rain and watch the lightning in the distance was tough, but I think I've gotten there.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

piano chimp posted:

You also get 10 hours of playtime for a refund window (if you buy directly from the devs) and I think thats more than enough time to feel things out

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

min-max bad habits

I still have this as far as "Oh my god I have to find seeds and get crops in the ground now!!!" but other than that, yeah I totally agree. I'll putter around my house, smelting this, hammering that, gathering a few resources to work on this or that wing of the house, and so on. Very chill.

E: Gathering resin can suck it, tho.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

HelloSailorSign posted:

VS has been really helpful getting me out of my min-max bad habits from my days of WoW, EVE, and heck even Project Zomboid. Realizing that it's cool and fine to take a break from smithing and casting (in my open side roofed smithery area) to just sit and listen to the rain and watch the lightning in the distance was tough, but I think I've gotten there.

Yeah I'm just chopping down trees and building out the framing of my little house. It's cool that Vintage story actually has some survival challenge to it, and even just the fact that I have to run back to my house when I die until I can find a temporal gear is actually not that bad because it gives me some incentive to explore and look for stuff. I don't feel a huge need to progress through a tech tree because I'm just handling needs as they come up. Food, shelter, etc. It feels kind of like a real survival game in a way that most don't.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

piano chimp posted:

You can check out the Aura Fury server to get a general idea for mods and server settings. They generally operate under a "Vanilla plus" rule of thumb for their mods, so they don't have anything too radical. My top suggestion would be including Bricklayers, since it adds a lot of nice blocks for building and sculpting. Expanded Foods is another popular one and it adds a lot of useful stuff food-wise (like a salt recipe), though personally I think the assets look kinda ugly.
Settings-wise, I'd say a huge modifier to food perishing is most important, as well as disabling crop death. Otherwise, it's literally impossible not to starve unless you're logging in everyday.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Aura Fury is a good server, yeah. Some of the settings are tweaked in the players favor to offset the fact that the world is running 24/7 (so food still decays). The community is really helpful, if a tad pubbie, but I’m playing again tomorrow when their 1.17 server goes live.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i usually lean towards heavy mods but i totally get going more vanilla, yeah. a lot of mods add a ton of content that adds more to do but also can make it much easier to stay alive or progress

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Me and 2 others spent ~40 hours getting through most of the content in 7 Days to Die and the game is really good except for one thing... the performance in large buildings is absolutely atrocious. Also I want some end goal.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve been dancing around doing Vintage story again and I would probably hunt at least some basic mods. I know of a few I’d want but I’m still pretty new to the game. Are there any “these are really good/borderline must haves” that affect world gen or otherwise want to be installed before I start a save?

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’ve been dancing around doing Vintage story again and I would probably hunt at least some basic mods. I know of a few I’d want but I’m still pretty new to the game. Are there any “these are really good/borderline must haves” that affect world gen or otherwise want to be installed before I start a save?

I can't speak to how "must-have" they are, but good mods I've seen that affect worldgen include:
Primitive Survival - (tree hollows)
Wildcraft - (all added plants)
Ore crystal - (the crystals themselves)
Hide And Fabric - (wild cotton)
CaveContent - (all worldgen)

From what I've seen a lot of mods try to be friendly to being dropped into existing games, and even having built-in cross compat. The only ones I've seen not play well with others are the vanilla variant series, that add all the alternate wood variants for blocks

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bought Vintage Story, it's not as complicated as I expected. However, there are certainly some things that are poorly explained, and it does expect you to read a wiki.

That being said, I had a *ton* of issues trying to figure out what I was doing wrong until I figured out that a knife *head* and a *knife* are not the same thing. So much wasted grass.

Also, like...this is minecraft, right? It's literally modded minecraft. Isn't there some licensing issues with it?

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Bought Vintage Story, it's not as complicated as I expected. However, there are certainly some things that are poorly explained, and it does expect you to read a wiki.

That being said, I had a *ton* of issues trying to figure out what I was doing wrong until I figured out that a knife *head* and a *knife* are not the same thing. So much wasted grass.

Also, like...this is minecraft, right? It's literally modded minecraft. Isn't there some licensing issues with it?

:yeshaha: The handbook does give you a decent summary on how to get and how to use every item (you can jump to the handbook page of any given item by pressing 'H' while hovering over it in your inventory), but yeah, some mechanics aren't made immediately clear. The 'guides' tab on the handbook covers some of them, but usually it'll take being eaten by wolves a few times to really drive the point through. I think we've already given the rundown of VS beginner tips before in the thread, but just off the top of my head:
1. Watch your step. You *will* fall down a sinkhole and die if you're not careful. If you're lucky like me, you might even fall down the same sinkhole and die three times in a row!
2. Try to get a light source before night hits. It gets quite literally pitch dark.
3. You can spend a while hunting for a perfect base location, but for a place to spend your first few nights, you'll want access to reeds, clay and berry bushes, and close to trees but not right in the middle of a deep forest (that's wolf country).
4. Flint is slightly better than most stone types (except obsidian) when it comes to knapping. Since inventory space is extra valuable in the early game, you might want to skip on hauling a bunch of different stone types entirely and just focus on gathering flint (can be spotted because it's two stones of different color).
5. If you find copper or other nuggets on the ground, mark them on your map! They mark a larger deposit a few blocks directly below, though you'll need a pickaxe to access most of them.

The devs started as minecraft modders, iirc (they either made or were inspired by uhhh Terrafirmcraft, I think) so there's a lot of common DNA there. But Minecraft doesn't have ownership over voxel games as a concept, so there's no legal issue with it if you're actually building the game from scratch (as opposed to outright lifting the code and assets, like a lot of MC clones do). I suppose theoretically Mojang could sue over specific stuff like the 3x3 crafting grid and things like that, but at this point that'd just be considered a convention of the genre.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

CuddleCryptid posted:

Minecraft was copied in its turn from Infiniminer. There aren't as many copyright issues around game appearance and mechanics as you might imagine.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

MrGreenShirt posted:

I would like to apologize in advance for the quality of these pictures. This was from an iron-age village build I did a while back that I accidentally deleted, and all I have left are these lovely phone pics I took for reference while building.

A barn I was building for general storage.

Pens for sheep which, a long with a sizeable pasture, would be fenced in. The finished pens had the same packed dirt flooring as the barn, but in retrospect I ought to have looked into hay bale flooring instead.

Cool! I like both.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HopperUK posted:

Minecraft was copied in its turn from Infiniminer. There aren't as many copyright issues around game appearance and mechanics as you might imagine.

I feel like video games are very similar to music, in that people often "copy", either subconsciously or just coming to the same natural conclusion, because if you didn't then nobody would ever be able to make a game without suing.

Minecraft:VintageStory::Numb:Numb/Encore (feat Jay Z)

One definitely built off the other, but different enough it became its own thing

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
In vintage story I see in the trailer they build a hut then it appears to develop into a village- is that populated by NPCs? Can you build a village that attracts NPCs in vintage story?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

SexyBlindfold posted:

:yeshaha: The handbook does give you a decent summary on how to get and how to use every item (you can jump to the handbook page of any given item by pressing 'H' while hovering over it in your inventory), but yeah, some mechanics aren't made immediately clear. The 'guides' tab on the handbook covers some of them, but usually it'll take being eaten by wolves a few times to really drive the point through. I think we've already given the rundown of VS beginner tips before in the thread, but just off the top of my head:

Thanks for the tips, the handbook is pretty helpful for looking up things for reference but more the issue that I've been hitting the wiki for are things like "oh, when the in-ground kiln says it needs grass and stuff it actually needs several layers of everything made up of a lot of material". But it'll come to me in time.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Vintage Story's largest and hugest assets are two specific things: Not being tied to java in any capacity and officially supporting modding right from the beginning.

As someone that is still very deep in Minecraft, I'd make the claim that Vintage Story is a way more granular Minecraft, a sort of Lego Technic (heh) set vs Minecraft's standard set. There are tons of small details that take it way beyond even the most modded Minecraft.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 17, 2022

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

chainchompz posted:

In vintage story I see in the trailer they build a hut then it appears to develop into a village- is that populated by NPCs? Can you build a village that attracts NPCs in vintage story?

Not vanilla, no. That's a multiplayer server most likely or just my single player games where I like to pretend I'm not alone

There's technically a villagers mod for VS, haven't tried it.

You can always make a village and then creative mode spawn in trader npcs where you want, but they don't do anything but become vending machines for you which make horn tooting noises at random intervals.

Which, if you do spawn in traders for yourself, you can basically have all necessary resources (at a price) and remain in bronze tier (T3) tools forever, assuming you have the rusted gears.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Goddamn Temporal Stability sucks, wish there was some way other than buying items I can't afford or killing monsters that aren't spawning to get out of the wobbly wobbly mode. I know the guides say that you can spend time in stable zones to recharge but nowhere on the surface seems to work for that.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

My friend and I were starting single player games together that we could sometimes visit each other. We were scouting seeds and I hit just an absolute banger almost immediately.

This will start you near a big lake with some awesome high landforms around you. I won't speak toward whether or not this actually has good starting resources, but its one of the most beautiful seeds I've seen in any voxel minecraft game. If you're looking for beautiful backdrops this is your seed.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
While there are VS mods I wish were incorporated into vanilla, the main one that jumps out at me is the one that removes the weird hunger penalty you get from carrying a torch in your offhand.

DiscretionOverValor
Nov 25, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

While there are VS mods I wish were incorporated into vanilla, the main one that jumps out at me is the one that removes the weird hunger penalty you get from carrying a torch in your offhand.

Auto-map markers is my top one, and have it add the current month/day to the marker when you pick up resin, so you know when you can go back and get more.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Being written in Java is fine (VS is written in Microsoft Java aka C#). The thing is that the Vintage Story devs thought about how to include modding properly from the very beginning.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Goddamn Temporal Stability sucks, wish there was some way other than buying items I can't afford or killing monsters that aren't spawning to get out of the wobbly wobbly mode. I know the guides say that you can spend time in stable zones to recharge but nowhere on the surface seems to work for that.

You may just be in a temporally unstable area, they happen occasionally on the surface. Keep moving to find a better area.

Supposedly seeds don’t start you in the same area or generate the exact same, but as seeds influence how the world generates if it’s a more geologically interesting seed that could persist.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dawn of the second day in VS:

Why am I sometimes getting the error that I cannot place a knapping surface? I've tried relocating the stone.

Edit: I see, I have to prepare some stones with another step.

Edit2: Killed my first animal and feasted on it's redmeat :black101:

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 17, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Why won't my charcoal burn in the firepit?

I lit the fire and got it up to temp with wood and then put in charcoal to finish the heating. But it won't actually catch the charcoal.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Sep 18, 2022

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

Why won't my charcoal burn in the firepit?

I lit the fire and got it up to temp with wood and then put in charcoal to finish the heating. But it won't actually catch the charcoal.

The last piece of wood is still burning (the flame icon that is burning down) once that is consumed, the first piece of charcoal will start. You'll notice the piece of charcoal gets consumed immediately and that flame is refilled and starts ticking down, while the heat increases. The next piece again will not get consumed until the flame burns down.

Arrath fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 18, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Arrath posted:

The last piece of wood is still burning (the flame icon that is burning down) once that is consumed, the first piece of charcoal will start. You'll notice the piece of charcoal gets consumed immediately and that flame is refilled and starts ticking down, while the heat increases. The next piece again will not get consumed until the flame burns down.

I tried letting it go cold and the charcoal still didn't catch but maybe there was a sliver of heat left, I'll try it again. Thanks

E. It worked

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 18, 2022

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Please make a Vintage Story thread, I'll do anything

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Except make a Vintage Story thread apparently

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
Man, I can't say that I'm a huge fan of the mechanic whereby shadowy holes in space spawn inside my loving house now. I don't think there's anything wrong with drifters popping out of holes and poo poo, but there should be some kind of mechanic for disabling it from happening inside your house.

Koobze
Nov 4, 2000
I too would enjoy a Vintage Story thread made by someone else. I would also join a server to play on with some goons to maybe build a village? I would still probably run south to warmer climes and have a farm there. I think there are mods that let you stock a vending machine to sell to players so could be fun to set up a small house and shop.

That said I play on easy mode, like extra health, faster movement, and reduced enemy damage, along with increased ore spawns, plus as mentioned earlier in multiplayer the crop death should be disabled. Not sure where the line is as far as "fun but still challenging in multiplayer."

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Azhais posted:

Except make a Vintage Story thread apparently

I'd do anything for love, but I won't do that

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

God forbid people who frequent the survival sim game thread do more than the bare minimum to remain alive

Vintage Story thread here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012729

Post your tips and mods in the thread so they can be included in the OP

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

CuddleCryptid posted:

God forbid people who frequent the survival sim game thread do more than the bare minimum to remain alive

Vintage Story thread here. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012729

Good op, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

CuddleCryptid posted:

I spend all my survival fucks in game not on SA