Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Like the Todd video pointed out, there actually were some '80s bands that rode out the '90s pretty well by just not bothering to chase trends and embracing their Dad Rock status. (Aerosmith, Ozzy, Bon Jovi)

FilthyImp posted:

Digital production and modern mixing has sanitized a lot of the blemishes that got in to older music.

Dave Grohl had a thing during one of the Nevermind anniversary years (15? 10?) that talks about the imperfections he catches when listening to that stuff and how you just edit it out or retune it now.

That's true but it's also definitely a choice. Any producer can just choose to not quantize/autotune the tracks and stuff even though they're recorded digitally. But there are a lot of overpaid hacks who need to justify their salary by doing all that stuff. Meanwhile there are plenty of indie rock bands who definitely can't afford to do stuff on tape, but sound great and raw anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pepperchomp
Jan 27, 2007

chomp chomp chomp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EcjWd-O4jI

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If you can sound good raw and live you will sound good.

It is very telling which bands can only sound good on an album and are heavily produced.

I went to two Weezer concerts (Green Album and Maladroit tours) and after that I decided they were garbage and I was never wrong about that. Terrible live band that got upstaged by their openers by a long shot.

By the way their openers for Green Album were Tenacious D and Jimmy Eat World and they rocked.

Maladroit was Sparta and The Strokes. Sparta rocked but The Stokes bailed that night.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

You can digitally recreate the look of an oil paint painting on canvas.
But the whole creative process is so radically different, that the end product will be radically different too. And if that is not the end product you want it to be, then the digital oil paint stuff will be worthless to you.

The same goes for analog recording and the original instruments versus VST plugins controlled with a midi keyboard. The user experience is an integral part of the creation of art. Would a concert pianist in a beautiful music hall play as well on a digital piano you put on stage, as on a grand? I think the digital piano would feel very out of place, and that it absolutely would have a detrimental effect on how the pianist would play.

Neither would an artist trying to make 90s style house music be making the thing they want to make on a concert grand. It's not complete without those typical 90s piano samples.

Of course, when you're not really intent to be creating art, but more a music product made for radio and tiktok, then it doesn't really matter and you're likely gonna make more money with some random digital workstation, some clean middle of the road microphone and a whole lot of plugins.

So in the end, it all depends on the kind of art you want to make. Horses for courses, and although digital can recreate a whole plethora of sounds, it does not feel the same and for most artists that is an important factor in their choice of equipment.

I got some Tascam and Yamaha 4 track 9,5cm/s cassette recorders with DBX which sound absolutely amazing. Theoretically i could somewhat recreate the sound, in practice that means spending many hours comparing the sound of my digital workflow and the tape deck, trying dozens of plugins, building complex chains of effects to match the pumping or ducking effect on the neighbor channels the DBX sometimes causes etc etc etc.
Sometimes going the analog way is just easier too, but it absolutely helps to be able to do small repairs like scratchy potentiometers and worn belts yourself.

LimaBiker has a new favorite as of 14:46 on Sep 18, 2022

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
I am literally having a yard sale with a Tascam 4 track I am selling. I am looking at it right now.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

dialhforhero posted:

If you can sound good raw and live you will sound good.

It is very telling which bands can only sound good on an album and are heavily produced.

I went to two Weezer concerts (Green Album and Maladroit tours) and after that I decided they were garbage and I was never wrong about that. Terrible live band that got upstaged by their openers by a long shot.

By the way their openers for Green Album were Tenacious D and Jimmy Eat World and they rocked.

Maladroit was Sparta and The Strokes. Sparta rocked but The Stokes bailed that night.

Hey another “I saw weezer live and it made me hate them” person. I still people the story about how bad they were. I describe it by saying I could have sat home, played their CD, and looked at a photo of them to get the same exact experience. They just stood there, no energy, no interaction. Just boring as poo poo.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

END OF AN ERROR posted:

Hey another “I saw weezer live and it made me hate them” person. I still people the story about how bad they were. I describe it by saying I could have sat home, played their CD, and looked at a photo of them to get the same exact experience. They just stood there, no energy, no interaction. Just boring as poo poo.

Incredible.

The :same: emote doesn’t do this post justice.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

posting on the correct page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWo-02Hsab4

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtu.be/lYBIRHi5-o8

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
i saw weezer twice and it was great both times, what exactly did you expect from that band full of nerd losers, Cool Stuff?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mactheknife posted:

i saw weezer twice and it was great both times, what exactly did you expect from that band full of nerd losers, Cool Stuff?

I’ve seen They Might Be Giants twice now, and let me tell you, that is a band full of nerd losers that do some Cool Stuff at their shows. Try harder, Weezailures. :colbert:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I went to a TMBG concert (at Gencon, even) and when one of the Johns said "now, I haven't attended a lot of sporting events..." the audience erupted into applause.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I have seen Blind Guardian, did you know all their songs are about elves?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
it should be a probation-worthy offense to post on Page 311 of the 90s thread without at least posting a video or image or at least saying what color your energy is

you guys are
https://youtu.be/JjTjtJDZomw

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mariah Carey has found her shelved ’90s alt-rock album and wants to release it

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I’m actually curious enough to give it a shot

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I bet it's all mixed up

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
DID YOU KNOW THAT THE 11TH LETTER OF THE ALPHABET IS K?
THAT MEANS THAT THE BAND 311 IS A KKK BAND!!

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

DID YOU KNOW THAT THE 11TH LETTER OF THE ALPHABET IS K?
THAT MEANS THAT THE BAND 311 IS A KKK BAND!!

No you fartknocker it's the LAPD code for public nudity!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3DllvVSsLc

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

No you fartknocker it's the LAPD code for public nudity!

I have never been publicly nude in LA.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is objectively great news and I really can't wait to hear it:

quote:

The music on Someone’s Ugly Daughter is described by Carey as “almost kind of a girls’ group Green Day kind of moment.” She also says that she designed the original album artwork: “It was a dead roach and some lipstick.”

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

311 was an inside job

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQdR3AIhg-c

Mu Zeta has a new favorite as of 07:08 on Sep 21, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FilthyImp posted:

Dave Grohl had a thing during one of the Nevermind anniversary years (15? 10?) that talks about the imperfections he catches when listening to that stuff and how you just edit it out or retune it now.

'Hey Jude' has Paul McCartney swearing "loving hell" in the background but they left it in because it was otherwise such a good take.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fartknocker posted:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LA is a known haven for the never nudes movement

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Beat me to it. I love eric Andre, but after the first season why would anyone agree to go on his show?

I mean, I guess that's why he has such long breaks and is cancelling/canceled the show?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neito posted:

Beat me to it. I love eric Andre, but after the first season why would anyone agree to go on his show?

I mean, I guess that's why he has such long breaks and is cancelling/canceled the show?

I heard an interview with him at some point, and apparently it was really easy. There are tons of local shows all over this country (per Wikipedia there are 210 television markets), so all they had to do was contact their publicist for an interview. It's not like New York is a small market either (it's number 1, per Wikipedia), so that probably also worked in their favor, as opposed to say Billings, Montana (number 167).

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Iron Crowned posted:

I heard an interview with him at some point, and apparently it was really easy. There are tons of local shows all over this country (per Wikipedia there are 210 television markets), so all they had to do was contact their publicist for an interview. It's not like New York is a small market either (it's number 1, per Wikipedia), so that probably also worked in their favor, as opposed to say Billings, Montana (number 167).

You'd figure that someone would google him right away and find a clip like
https://twitter.com/nocontexterica/status/1167891985174106113
and tell him to gently caress off, though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neito posted:

You'd figure that someone would google him right away and find a clip like
https://twitter.com/nocontexterica/status/1167891985174106113
and tell him to gently caress off, though.

:lol:

They probably don't tell them it's Eric Andre, just a whole "I'm such and such from X Productions, and we'd like to have Celebrity sit down for an interview with us."

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
IIRC from an interview with Hannibal Buress I half-watched a few months ago, by like seasons 2/3 it was already difficult to get properly ignorant guests and a lot of people would come on set with some amount of awareness or preparedness.

Also, even when guests didn’t know what to expect, most of them were consummate showbiz professionals who put up with a surprising amount of abuse. In either case, it meant filming for hours and hours and hours to basically wear people down and collect a few moments of weird that could be edited into an episode of the Eric Andre Show.

Tbh he seemed pretty ambivalent about the whole thing, and made it seem like he wasn’t too keen to come back or shoot more episodes. He definitely seems bothered that people might mistake his Eric Andre Show persona for how he is in real life, or typecast/pigeonhole him in some way because of it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Y’all, The Daily Show and Colbert Report went for years and clowned on people consistently, well after they reached peak popularity. Has the generational shift moved that much to put the idea of shows like that out of recent memory already?

People are dumb. People want on TV. People are desperate for a platform. That’s how a show like that works.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

dialhforhero posted:

People are dumb. People want on TV. People are desperate for a platform. That’s how a show like that works.

People can find their own platforms. They don’t need to be on tv for their exposure fix. Your factual statement is still factual though.

Automatic Slim has a new favorite as of 17:19 on Sep 22, 2022

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

People can find their own platforms. They don’t need to be on tv for their exposure fix. Your factual is still valid though.
More true than it used to be, but yeah TV's "death" over the past decade is a lot of tech investor noise that coincidentally comes from platforms where tech investors have the loudest voice (e.g: the internet).

Despite their seeming ubiquity most people don't actually pursue content on streaming platforms outside of what their friends/communities are already watching so they all have a shared "thing" to talk about, so entertainers and all their associated handlers still gravitate toward whatever platforms they think get them market penetration and visibility even if you end up looking dumb. Eric Andre was, for a while, a great way to keep your face seen among burnouts and teenagers if you did something memeable but the diminishing returns hit and everyone moved on. I'd be willing to bet a lot of these personalities would love to go suffer under his nonsense for another afternoon if it meant not having to compete with vacuum-sealed TikTok stars.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

'Hey Jude' has Paul McCartney swearing "loving hell" in the background but they left it in because it was otherwise such a good take.

In Good Riddance, Billie Joe Armstrong messes up twice and swears at the beginning of the song.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/qUT97mq.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/9wRfUQU.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/48BiUXI.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/13iMdyP.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/Mjdft1M.mp4
:rip:

https://i.imgur.com/d035xMK.gifv

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

They should bring back American Gladiators, I need some goofy rear end poo poo in my life

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
pretty sure i still have my first wallet sitting in a box somewhere, and if it still exists that wallet definitely still contains my american gladiators fan club card

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

They should bring back American Gladiators, I need some goofy rear end poo poo in my life

https://pluto.tv/en/search/details/series/american-gladiators-1989/season/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

huh, just realized that american gladiators was a key part of my sexual awakening