Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

It occurred to me that, with careful pacing and some admittedly tricky reworking of the plot, they could potentially get through the major arcs of the rest of the series in another two seasons.

For Season 2: Season of Mists is usually remembered as an epic but there really isn't that much story to cover: Morpheus visits Hell to collect the key, and then we see the negotiations about who gets to keep it. I think that could be accomplished in a tight two episodes, maybe three. While that's going on, Delirium has been hanging around the castle, trying to convince her brother to go on an adventure. So after the key is dealt with, we jump right into Brief Lives, and follow Dream and Del until they catch up with prodigal Endless, which is our episode 10 cliffhanger.

Season 2's bonus episode would then be an adaptation of World's End. This would provide an opportunity to adapt all of those beloved single issue stories (Ramadan, Emperor Norton, etc.) as 5-10 minute short films, using the scenes in the inn as a framing device. The climax of the episode is the vision of the funeral procession, setting up another cliffhanger for Season 3.

Season 3's premiere shows Dream meeting Destruction with Delirium and then killing his son Orpheus, and episode 2 kicks off The Kindly Ones. If they're committed to doing A Game of You, I think (with a lot of careful thought and effort put into reworking the plot) the events of that story could be folded in here. Since Rose, Lyta and Hal are all in New York City, it would be plausible to bring Barbie and Wanda into their group; we'd spend a few episodes following Barbie, Rose and Lyta's adventures, and then the climax of A Game of You (the stuff with the Cuckoo and Eleanora) would be framed as another of Dream's past mistakes catching up with him in the present. Then Lyta calls down the furies, and we have the entire back half of the season to bring the story to its conclusion.

The screenwriters would need to put in a lot of careful work, making sure the reconfigured subplots still connect logically, and keeping the digressions and character bits, which would be tempting to cut but are arguably just as important to Sandman as the main plot.

But I do think you could tell the whole story in a satisfying way in 20+ hours instead of 30+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Indie Rocktopus posted:

Season 2's bonus episode would then be an adaptation of World's End. This would provide an opportunity to adapt all of those beloved single issue stories (Ramadan, Emperor Norton, etc.) as 5-10 minute short films, using the scenes in the inn as a framing device.

Your idea sucks dude.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
The season 2 bonus episode should be A Parliament of Rooks, maybe paired with Orpheus, but that has early s3 casting inplications (Ideally, though, there would be two bonuses, one before and one after, so the first can be Tales in the Sand+Midsummer's Night Dream.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think the main obstacle is not screentime so much as it is pacing. You don't want to split up the last two books, but you also don't want to have much distance between them and Brief Lives. I think if they're committed to doing A Game of You, the fastest they could speedrun the series would be to do Seasons of Mists/Game of You with a few side stories and then do an extra long season 3 with a cliffhanger break in the middle of Kindly Ones straddling Brief Lives and Wake.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
didn't someone earlier in the thread posted a thing where gaiman was like we figured out a way to like do game of you and seasons of the mists together so sandy wouldn't have to drop out for too long as main character

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I know it's way too early for it to be an issue, but does anyone else worry that the actress playing Lyta Hall is not very good and will not be able to fulfill all the things that Lyta will have to go through?

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Borrowed Ladder posted:

I know it's way too early for it to be an issue, but does anyone else worry that the actress playing Lyta Hall is not very good and will not be able to fulfill all the things that Lyta will have to go through?

At the moment, both her and Constantine come across as a bit too squeaky-clean for me, but on the other hand that leaves plenty of opportunity for them to become more disheveled later as things happen to them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Borrowed Ladder posted:

IIRC her being kinda flat emotionally was explicit in the text. Except when she wasn't.

I did notice though.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dave Syndrome posted:

At the moment, both her and Constantine come across as a bit too squeaky-clean for me, but on the other hand that leaves plenty of opportunity for them to become more disheveled later as things happen to them.

Outside of Thermidor (which would have been a cleaner Constantine anyways) does John Constantine do anything else in the main Sandman books? (I know he's in a couple of Sandman spinoff one-offs, but I can't see those being adapted. God, imagine the Lucifer limited series with Christie...)

Not sure they'll have a chance to dirty up modern(!)Johanna, but I have high hopes for Lyta's descent.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
There's a theory that the show will eliminate Thessaly, slotting Johanna Constantine into her place.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Thranguy posted:

There's a theory that the show will eliminate Thessaly, slotting Johanna Constantine into her place.

Huh. That would probably work pretty well actually. The hardest part would be contriving to get her into the mix with the rest of the people in that apartment, but Constantine has friends/enemies/former lovers everywhere, so I'm sure a reason could be found.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

I feel like putting Johanna Constantine into Thessaly's role is fitting a square peg into a round hole. At their core, the Constantine (John or Johanna) are driven to do good in the world. Thessaly is a very petty, vengeful person. There would have to be some serious changes to the role to make these characters fit the same person, especially with Thessaly's role in The Kindly Ones.

I'm eager to see how the modern adaptation of A Game of You would look. I feel like they'd try to especially hammer home the whole "gods are wrong" angle with the Moon, but I'd like to see a happier ending for Wanda.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I’d settle for a “Thessaly is just an idiot” angle but I’m of the opinion that Thessaly should be getting dunked on 100% of the time she’s present in a scene.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Whenever Thessaly is not getting dunked on on screen, the other characters should be asking "Where's Thessaly's comeuppance?"

Happy Underpants
Jul 23, 2007
Dunking aside Thessaly is a great take on immortality. Someone who has hollowed out every other part of her life in order to live forever. She's a very compelling monster. She's practically an open world RPG player character.

Happy Underpants fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Sep 15, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I could see twisting Constantine and the plot to play Thessaly in Game of You, but I don't see how you do it for Kindly Ones. That seems to far, either for book Constantine or the one we saw in S1.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Seems exactly like the thing a Netflix adaptation would do to "play with" viewers' expectations and for expedience, only question is can they convince Gaiman to tweet about how it's actually good

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ravenfood posted:

I could see twisting Constantine and the plot to play Thessaly in Game of You, but I don't see how you do it for Kindly Ones. That seems to far, either for book Constantine or the one we saw in S1.

Constantine is first and foremost a bastard and a survivor. The Constantine who sold his soul to three Lords of Hell to buy himself a few more years cancer-free would absolutely buy a couple of centuries by betraying someone whose life he'd inveigled his way into on the chance that he could exploit them for the same purpose. And by gender flipping the present day Constantine, they've left the door open for her to be the same Constantine who met Dream in 1789 - a Constantine who is making deals for temporary immortality. She knows Hob did it, after all. That is the kind of twist that I'd expect to see, if they were going to use one.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Jedit posted:

And by gender flipping the present day Constantine, they've left the door open for her to be the same Constantine who met Dream in 1789 - a Constantine who is making deals for temporary immortality. She knows Hob did it, after all.

They already made it quite clear that they're different people..!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

They already made it quite clear that they're different people..!

So if you were a showrunner planning a big twist on the existing material you'd be sure to tell everyone about it a year in advance the very first time it's speculated?

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily see it happening and wouldn't particularly like it if it did. I'm just saying they've made it possible and provided a reason for it to happen.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

https://twitter.com/cbr/status/1570435021428920321?s=46&t=5LoWIYDonUvnc1bUtvUCNg

it’s an absolute hit but still not renewed

what the absolute gently caress

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

the escape goat posted:

https://twitter.com/cbr/status/1570435021428920321?s=46&t=5LoWIYDonUvnc1bUtvUCNg

The streaming wars are pivoting from the "see who can light the most bags of money on fire" phase to the "see who can cut their service to the barest minimum" phase

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

Constantine is first and foremost a bastard and a survivor. The Constantine who sold his soul to three Lords of Hell to buy himself a few more years cancer-free would absolutely buy a couple of centuries by betraying someone whose life he'd inveigled his way into on the chance that he could exploit them for the same purpose. And by gender flipping the present day Constantine, they've left the door open for her to be the same Constantine who met Dream in 1789 - a Constantine who is making deals for temporary immortality. She knows Hob did it, after all. That is the kind of twist that I'd expect to see, if they were going to use one.

Yeah, Constantines are, to a man/woman, selfish assholes. Sure, they do good things on occasion and can be quite charming, but these people are by and large poison for anyone they care about/come in contact with. Being Constantine's "friend" can be worse than being their enemy. They're also prideful, and I could definitely see Johanna plunging ahead half-cocked with the various magics in A Game of You because they're convinced it's the only way to solve a problem. It would also be less "confusing" wrt the rightness of the actions, since Thessaly is mysterious and self-assured, but Johanna would probably be more visibly winging it.

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 15, 2022

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

the escape goat posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion they are saving the announcement for their big circle-jerk TUDUM event at the end of the month.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s been leaked here and there that they’re already green lit, maybe they’re trying to keep it secret to build up anticipation

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

It’s been leaked here and there that they’re already green lit, maybe they’re trying to keep it secret to build up anticipation

This is the first I've been hearing about this -- I assumed between Netflix having to pay through the nose on covid delays and the WB downsizing this would be dead.

Where did you hear about this?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

This show was almost definitely expensive as gently caress and also painful to film. It kinda works by itself so I wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t renew it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is the first I've been hearing about this -- I assumed between Netflix having to pay through the nose on covid delays and the WB downsizing this would be dead.

Where did you hear about this?

I should walk it back

There are a bunch of reports of pre-production on season 2 happening but I guess that’s no guarantee

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

I should walk it back

There are a bunch of reports of pre-production on season 2 happening but I guess that’s no guarantee

When you say "pre-production" do you mean the writing's started up, or something else?

Because the writing thing's already come up in the thread, and it's not a smoking gun (As I understand it Gaiman's said the exact opposite, that they've decided to jump the gun and open up a writer's room without the show being renewed yet).

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Per the man himself they've written the scripts for season two and the VFX team is working on it (I don't know how if nothing has been filmed, but I trust Neil not to lie). This is the interview he's referencing in the Tweet.

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1571290521343070209

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Even if Netflix doesn't renew, it's a big enough hit that some other network will take it now. The question is what budget it gets.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Even if Netflix doesn't renew, it's a big enough hit that some other network will take it now. The question is what budget it gets.

This is likely the sticking point--I'm sure Netflix wants a season 2 but they may not want to splurge on the budget again.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
in the streaming world of the 21st century, a show is a theater troupe looking for wealthy patrons to show their talents

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Soysaucebeast posted:

Per the man himself they've written the scripts for season two and the VFX team is working on it (I don't know how if nothing has been filmed, but I trust Neil not to lie).

Pre-visualisation. They probably want to make some things feel a bit bigger, there are some CGI characters that they'll want to have designs in place for, and so on.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

Popoto posted:

in the streaming world of the 21st century, a show is a theater troupe looking for wealthy patrons to show their talents

In Sandman terms, Gaiman and co. are Will Shaxberd's troupe performing A Midsummer Night's Dream, and the entertainment industry is the fair folk.

...immortal, abusive, capricious, fond of one-sided contracts and child abduction. Yep, checks out.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Indie Rocktopus posted:

In Sandman terms, Gaiman and co. are Will Shaxberd's troupe performing A Midsummer Night's Dream, and the entertainment industry is the fair folk.

...immortal, abusive, capricious, fond of one-sided contracts and child abduction. Yep, checks out.

poo poo, one of the Hollywood executives stayed behind when they went back to Executive-land and their whereabouts are uknown. I am sure that won't cause problems down the line.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

the holy poopacy posted:

The streaming wars are pivoting from the "see who can light the most bags of money on fire" phase to the "see who can cut their service to the barest minimum" phase

It's this.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've done a little more reading around, and I'm less worried about this show not being renewed now based purely on the timeline of events -- it took The Umbrella Academy around two months to be renewed for a fourth and final season.

That said, I don't think this is a done deal at all, and given covid costs impacting the first season, the state of the WB and the state of Netflix, I'm still not holding my breath.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Gaiman tweeted, and then deleted, that Netflix isn't rushing to green light S2 because people didn't binge S1 so the metrics look kind of lovely after getting split between two monthly cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I can't find any evidence of this tweet's supposed existence.

Unless you mean this, which was not deleted:

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1572648570389692416?s=20&t=R3v90NuXvrj_RDuTE0pI9A