Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

do u know what SMD means

SuperMechaDogzilla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

He can’t legally run again so uhh we’ll see how that goes

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Strong Sauce posted:

He can’t legally run again so uhh we’ll see how that goes

From the article:

quote:

El Salvador is among the countries that prohibited presidents from serving consecutive terms, a ban that was overruled by the country's supreme court in September 2021. “Developed countries have re-election, and thanks to the new configuration of the democratic institution of our country, now El Salvador will too,” President Bukele said in a speech on Thursday.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Bitcoin: Not the GPU thread.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Sokani posted:

From the article:

He has major authoritarian tendencies (think we all can guess under whose administration these “reforms” took place!) so I imagine he tries for at least 2 more terms somehow

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I bought a pre-built gaming PC in 2021 because it included a 3070 at very near MSRP, the entire thing cost me slightly more than just a cheap 3070 would have :allears:

Same, but a 2060. It's not showing it's age yet despite being a 4 year old card, so I haven't looked into replacing it yet.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So I checked in on how the Ethereum PoW fork is going and lmao

From looking around at various hashrate charts, it seems that about a quarter of the total ethereum mining fleet has been bouncing around the various altcoins the last few days, and their numbers are quickly dwindling as they discover how little money there is to be had. Some seem to be sticking it out in hope that their fortunes suddenly turn, but if there wasn't an immediate boost to these altcoins' price and profitability, then I don't see it happening down the road. Not independent of a wider crypto boom, at least.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Sep 17, 2022

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's dropping prices on on the altcoins too, because there's a sudden influx of new coins before the difficulty adjustments.

"Stablecoins" now make up 3 of the top 7 cryptocurrencies by market cap. It would be interesting to see how man actual dollars are circulating within the crytpocurrency ecosystem at this point.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 18, 2022

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

lmao

edit: the coin offering $0 rewards is somehow not even the least profitable one to mine

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

lmao

edit: the coin offering $0 rewards is somehow not even the least profitable one to mine

They're losing money on every coin but they'll make it up in volume

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

lmao

so this is always the practical limitations of the like "maybe people will mine irrationally because they genuinely believe a coin will go up in future" - you're better off spending the money you'd spend on electricity buying whatever coin. cheaper and would bring up the price.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
If no-one actually mines them, though, they don't work.

It's not dead yet but the crypto economy just got its heart removed with no transplant in sight.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Altcoins? Nah, they're doltcoins.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

So these coins function more like a stress test program?

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

do u know what SMD means

Suck My Dick? Cmon, we all know that's not a technical term for a graphics card. I mean we're all super smart people, we can do this. Wait....is it?

-probably again crypto logic

Bitcoin: suck my dick

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Somfin posted:

If no-one actually mines them, though, they don't work.

It's not dead yet but the crypto economy just got its heart removed with no transplant in sight.

Mining is not the "heart" of crypto, speculation is the heart of crypto. Setting real commodities on fire and minting commemorative tokens for all the waste was never a legitimate enterprise and never created or backed crypto with any value, just a transitional hand-waving fiction to dazzle morons in the time before there was already a shitload of money supposedly floating around to entice new marks. The consumer-facing scam that lives on exchanges and sidechain rugs can carry on with exactly the same value proposition that it ever had.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

, says the man who is very much on the run and wanted for arrest in his home country

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I was recently reminded of this video and the level of thought that most cryptobros put into their investments

https://youtu.be/sVv29oVrtTM

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mozi posted:

super mario doctor? is that on switch now?

Beartaco posted:

Shin Megami Densei

Seven Force posted:

Sega mega drive? Those were so cool back then

Tunicate posted:

SuperMechaDogzilla

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Suck My Dick? Cmon, we all know that's not a technical term for a graphics card. I mean we're all super smart people, we can do this. Wait....is it?

-probably again crypto logic

Bitcoin: suck my dick

and so the question of "could goons make a graphics card?" is answered with a resounding, "No."

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Powershift posted:

It's dropping prices on on the altcoins too, because there's a sudden influx of new coins before the difficulty adjustments.

"Stablecoins" now make up 3 of the top 7 cryptocurrencies by market cap. It would be interesting to see how man actual dollars are circulating within the crytpocurrency ecosystem at this point.

I'm not even sure that's possible anymore with how many random sketchy exchanges are just inventing hypothetical dollars and letting people trade with them

You could try and look at Binance/Binance US/Kraken/Gemini/Coinbase and the other larger exchanges and their real currency flows in and out but the vast majority of the $50,000,000,000 - $100,000,000,000 claimed crypto volume in any given day is internal exchange day trades with those stablecoins. It's how a couple of months ago Binance created* $2,000,000,000* in Buy* Orders* by just posting them on their exchange and claiming they were the seller and purchaser so no actual money traded hands but the entire cryptocurrency market reacted like 2 billion fresh dollars were used to acquire bitcoin which caused a $1,000+ upwards price movement and Created* Tens of Billons* in Market Cap*

You would have to get rid of stablecoins entirely and 95% of the entire cryptocurrency market to see whats leftover and how much real volume actually regulated exchanges have.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

There was a beautiful couple days right after terra/Luna poo poo the bed that it looked like tether was gonna depeg and take the whole thing down

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Sokani posted:

From the article:

now El Salvador will too,

LOL. "Hol' up, y'all. I'm not finished robbing you, and I need more time to get my robber baron issues in order before I flee the poo poo out of this place and never come back."

Reading Bukele's Wikipedia page is a trip into WTF land. He's such a slimy piece of poo poo taking criminal advantage of a desperately poor country while also keeping other massive crime organizations, such as MS-13, able to continue their bullshit.

hotdog feet posted:

I'm constantly 5 or more years behind everybody on games so I've been mostly unaffected by coiners. 1070 doing some real work.
I am a laptop gamer. My last notebook had a 1050 and played Cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p on high with a few things set to ultra. I got a new notebook this year with a 12GB RX6800 and I can barely tell the difference in performance. I think I spent the first week wondering if something went wrong or if my GPU wasn't connected.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Sokani posted:

From the article:

well, balls.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

PITY BONER posted:

I am a laptop gamer. My last notebook had a 1050 and played Cyberpunk 2077 at 1080p on high with a few things set to ultra. I got a new notebook this year with a 12GB RX6800 and I can barely tell the difference in performance. I think I spent the first week wondering if something went wrong or if my GPU wasn't connected.

That must have been resolution-scaling like a fucker.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PITY BONER posted:

LOL. "Hol' up, y'all. I'm not finished robbing you, and I need more time to get my robber baron issues in order before I flee the poo poo out of this place and never come back."

Reading Bukele's Wikipedia page is a trip into WTF land. He's such a slimy piece of poo poo taking criminal advantage of a desperately poor country while also keeping other massive crime organizations, such as MS-13, able to continue their bullshit.

Don't be me and have been playing games in 900p for the first few months just thrilled to have quake run at a stable framerate.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The 20xx and 30xx series have material gains in resolution and process gains in ray tracing.

If you think 1080p is fine and don't buy the ray tracing hype yet(it's neat but seems to be really effort full for the developers to not make it look worse, looking at you Cyberpunk) you've not really missed anything during the crypto supply shortage.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I upgraded my CPU from a 1600 to a 5600X and that made a phenomenal difference to performance in games; getting a 3060 to replace my 1060 let me bump up my VR res but it wasn't anywhere near as big a difference at 1080p, and if it wasn't for VR I could have definitely skipped it until now.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you could prolly crank up da ray tracing at 1080p tho. try the new spiderman imo

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
the callousness of this thread. hundreds, perhaps thousands, of crypto miners who KEPT THE GPU BUSINESS ALIVE while you sat back with your 1080p "some settings on ultra" are now LOSING EVERYTHING. and you all laugh? you all salivate over their 30-series GPUs? ridicule sellers' illegitimate runarounds to avoid ebay fees and return policies? this is all funny to you huh. because it is funny, you say? correct. it's very funny.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

drk posted:

, says the man who is very much on the run and wanted for arrest in his home country

Reminds me of his 'I did not take the money and run' tweet.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

erosion posted:

Reminds me of his 'I did not take the money and run' tweet.

do kwon must have quite the t-shirt collection

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I think if anything, this crypto boom has lead to a realization a lot of gamers should've made much sooner: you really don't need to jump fewer than two generations on a graphics card to play games well these days. My 2060 is humming along just fine with most modern games. I'm only just now vaugely considering the 40xx series.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Neito posted:

I think if anything, this crypto boom has lead to a realization a lot of gamers should've made much sooner: you really don't need to jump fewer than two generations on a graphics card to play games well these days. My 2060 is humming along just fine with most modern games. I'm only just now vaugely considering the 40xx series.

100% agree. My 1060 6GB has held up wonderfully for the last 5 years. I've been able to play new releases just fine at 1080p even up to this year. I'm probably not going to upgrade until the card outright dies.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Neito posted:

I honestly feel like graphics haven't improved since crysis

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

100% agree. My 1060 6GB has held up wonderfully for the last 5 years. I've been able to play new releases just fine at 1080p even up to this year. I'm probably not going to upgrade until the card outright dies.

if you look at the steam hardware survey almost all of the top 10 are either 1060s or within one step or generation of the 1060 (1050, 1050ti, 1060, 1650, 2060,1660ti and 1660 super are all roughly in that performance ballpark). there are a number of reasons for this but crypto is for sure a big one, there are finally some 30 series cards at the top of the charts but there weren't for ages. they're all still very good cards for that resolution. and again even cards that were released god six years ago like the 1060 are still going extremely strong, i bet a significant number of those are 5+ years old.

after the last crash you could sometimes get very very good deals on GPUs and it wouldn't even astonish me of some of those 1060s that are still in use mined during that one.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/videotech_/stat...ingawful.com%2F

lol

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
"You’re unable to view this Tweet because this account owner limits who can view their Tweets. Learn more"

lol at social media that allows you to make you own hugboxes.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

PhazonLink posted:

"You’re unable to view this Tweet because this account owner limits who can view their Tweets. Learn more"

lol at social media that allows you to make you own hugboxes.

Sorry you couldn't reply guy whoever it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

CoolCab posted:

if you look at the steam hardware survey almost all of the top 10 are either 1060s or within one step or generation of the 1060 (1050, 1050ti, 1060, 1650, 2060,1660ti and 1660 super are all roughly in that performance ballpark). there are a number of reasons for this but crypto is for sure a big one, there are finally some 30 series cards at the top of the charts but there weren't for ages. they're all still very good cards for that resolution. and again even cards that were released god six years ago like the 1060 are still going extremely strong, i bet a significant number of those are 5+ years old.

after the last crash you could sometimes get very very good deals on GPUs and it wouldn't even astonish me of some of those 1060s that are still in use mined during that one.

I'm also sure that the dominance of the 1060 adjacent cards has led to PC game developers continuing to make sure these old cards are able to run newer games. Maybe with the latest crypto slump and subsequent GPU dump we'll see newer games require more modern hardware as better cards become more accessible.