Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Has anyone got a shot of the combat patrol from the codex?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

:perfect:
It’s so good.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The combat patrol will be 10 Hearthkyn Warriors, 3 pioneers, 5 Berserks, and a Kahl.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Do they put a limit per customer on preorders? If not it's probably just scalpers flipping everything like usual. Though new faction + squat memes + the general impression that they're going to be busted nonsense even in a wildly powerful meta probably means there was a lot of genuine interest drummed up.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Votann Boxes are still all over eBay from reputable shops for less than (I think) 85% MSRP.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I have a 1k pts game against sisters of battle tomorrow. Im playing tau, so obviously i dont want them close in, but having never played against sisters, i dont know what im in for.

What kind of shennanigans do i need to look out for?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

I have a 1k pts game against sisters of battle tomorrow. Im playing tau, so obviously i dont want them close in, but having never played against sisters, i dont know what im in for.

If they have Arco-Flagellents in a rhino you'll want to kill that/them as it's one of their faster engaging and better CC units. Retributor squads are nasty. They have a strat where they can drop in some Seraphim from deep strike and shoot and then shoot again in the shooting phase. They also can pull the Blessed Bolts strat with Dominions (maybe others) and dish out lots of mortal wounds.

I'm a noob so take that FWIW.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tangy yet delightful posted:

If they have Arco-Flagellents in a rhino you'll want to kill that/them as it's one of their faster engaging and better CC units. Retributor squads are nasty. They have a strat where they can drop in some Seraphim from deep strike and shoot and then shoot again in the shooting phase. They also can pull the Blessed Bolts strat with Dominions (maybe others) and dish out lots of mortal wounds.

I appreciate it. Im playing my buddy and he's the type who pnly has pne army but boy does he have a lot of them. So what he brings is going to be a complete surprise

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Gunder posted:

Has anyone got a shot of the combat patrol from the codex?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Building on this, I'd say look out way more for repentia than arco-flagellents (which are cool but way less common). Repentia have just an ungodly amount of attacks and they'll chew through your best stuff quickly.

Sisters really rely on their characters, maybe more than most armies, so if you see any out in the open, take the shot. Retributor squads with multi-meltas will delete anything, and they have some of the best rhinos in the game purely because they get the extra durability of the 6+ invuln.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

i just beat sob as tau. they had a bad time recovering from crisis team alpha strikes. it ruled. the seraphim double attack is vicious though.

the trick is to shoot their guys without getting shot by their guys. no further notes

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I imagine they will release the box set again, but without the codex, and for the same price.

Nah they'll just jump straight to the separate codex release alongside the Combat Patrol box. It's almost the same thing and all of that stock is sitting ready to go in their warehouse. If I had to bet I'd say:

Around Oct 8th:
Codex, combat patrol, datacards, some or all of the separate kits from the launch box

Around Oct 29th:
Einhyr, Sagitaur, Berserks, some character models

November:
Land fortress & anything else not already out

Late Nov / Dec:
Imperial guard releases begin

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

These are incredible. :pusheen:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Only thing I want from that box is the Ironkin with the axe on their back.
No idea what I would want it for, but I want it either way.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

My Spirit Otter posted:

almost every time I've played against SoB now I've found that they have 5 person teams of sisters that they keep around their characters to benefit from the 'Look out Sir' rule. You only need to kill 3 of the 5 sisters to leave the character vulnerable and once you paste the characters (with indirect fire or heavy ordnance b/c I play guard) they lose access to a lot of their toughness (rerolls and invulns).

I did like 26 wounds against a SoB tank in my first shot yesterday with a plasma executioner Tank Commander using Hail of Fire (full plasma side sponsons). The tank blew up, and did 3 mortals against 3 different sisters squads which left their characters open and with my second - fifth shots I focused fire down Morgan Vahl and a canoness. The first half of my first turn kind of won me the battle at that point.

Sisters love to deep strike seraphim and flame/shoot softer things off of objectives. Lots of melta so keep your vehicles 24" away! Celestine you need to kill in one/two turns (she comes back to life after you kill her the first time) or she heals and brings back her two bodyguards, she's a real demon.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So any rumors on what the LoV set is going to cost? Granted with my pile of shame it will take awhile to get it.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So any rumors on what the LoV set is going to cost? Granted with my pile of shame it will take awhile to get it.

The army box? It's on preorder for $200. The combat patrol will be $150

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

neaden posted:

The army box? It's on preorder for $200. The combat patrol will be $150

Oh sweet that means it will be around $160 at my LGS. I knew it was going up at some point in the near future, just not this soon. Luckily the discount is always there so no rush.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Oh sweet that means it will be around $160 at my LGS. I knew it was going up at some point in the near future, just not this soon. Luckily the discount is always there so no rush.

You might want to call your LGS and check if they're sold out already or not

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/18/sunday-preview-mortal-realms-magic-and-space-marines-made-to-order/

No mention of pre-orders for the Votann box being extended or anything today, so maybe tomorrow as people have theorised.
Otherwise you can pre-order some Made to Order Marine characters as this is AoS time in the spotlight. Even for next week by the looks of it.

Also if anyone is curious about some of the new Votann lore, here's a nice breakdown of some stuff:
https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/xhcaz9/leagues_of_votann_some_codex_stuff/

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Cooked Auto posted:

Only thing I want from that box is the Ironkin with the axe on their back.
No idea what I would want it for, but I want it either way.

it's cool but his buddy is perhaps the weakest model in the army

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
If I ever get an Votann models they'll be all Ironkin probably

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

War and Pieces posted:

it's cool but his buddy is perhaps the weakest model in the army

I mean obviously the Ironkin axe carrier would be paired up with someone else much cooler if I got one. :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Improbable Lobster posted:

If I ever get an Votann models they'll be all Ironkin probably

Apparently there's only 1 Ironkon head per box of troops so you'll have to get creative.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

Also if anyone is curious about some of the new Votann lore, here's a nice breakdown of some stuff:
https://www.reddit.com/r/40kLore/comments/xhcaz9/leagues_of_votann_some_codex_stuff/

So they're definitely the Men Of Stone and Men Of Iron, rad

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chainclaw posted:

You might want to call your LGS and check if they're sold out already or not

Ah I see, that said it was mostly for the lore in the dex. Luckily that reddit post seems to be a good start and hopefully the lore YouTubers should hsve some videos up soon.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Sounds like they exile undesirables enough for there to be a piratical subculture. That's always welcome

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
The grimdark is 100% going to be them committing like genocide because an AI told them to destroy a planet's atmosphere based on data it was given 300 years ago and took that long to come up with an answer.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/09/18/sunday-preview-mortal-realms-magic-and-space-marines-made-to-order/

No mention of pre-orders for the Votann box being extended or anything today, so maybe tomorrow as people have theorised.
Otherwise you can pre-order some Made to Order Marine characters as this is AoS time in the spotlight. Even for next week by the looks of it.

drat, I just turned my axe praetor into a terminator captain. That model would go great with my terminator chaplain.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I picked up a veteran squad and holy poo poo is that ever an infuriating build. Half the numbers dont match, if you build a confidant veteran, guess what! You cant build the either the plasma/metla gunner variants a few pages later because oops, you already used the only arm they provided thats needed for 3!!! separate variants and this is mentioned nowhere

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you're crafty you can use the gun arms in creative ways and make all the gunners from one box:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I skimmed the spoilers and I was wondering do the LoV have working STCs with complete libraries or just AIs running the planet?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finished this model today

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

My Spirit Otter posted:

I picked up a veteran squad and holy poo poo is that ever an infuriating build. Half the numbers dont match, if you build a confidant veteran, guess what! You cant build the either the plasma/metla gunner variants a few pages later because oops, you already used the only arm they provided thats needed for 3!!! separate variants and this is mentioned nowhere

These are legitimately some of the worst instructions I've ever seen in these kits, compounded by the fact that nothing is numerically next to each other. I love the end results but drat.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So I skimmed the spoilers and I was wondering do the LoV have working STCs with complete libraries or just AIs running the planet?

yes

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

You literally beat me to it lol

Because I'm a nerf I definetly want to read the LoV lore but let's remember basically every faction got like 3 old codexes with inconsistent stuff and it wasn't really until Black Library came into its own that a lot of lore got real deep.

The codex probably has a bunch of half hearted stuff and its only going to be when a bunch of authors write LoV centric books that it will coalesce into something genuinely interesting.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you're crafty you can use the gun arms in creative ways and make all the gunners from one box:

Thanks for this, i used the grenade arm as well. Shaving the hand off of the grip wasnt fun, but im happy with the results.

S.J. posted:

These are legitimately some of the worst instructions I've ever seen in these kits, compounded by the fact that nothing is numerically next to each other. I love the end results but drat.

Its like theres no interdepartmental communication

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I had to do something similar with the imperial navy breachers because I didn't test out which of the torsos the arms would fit on. Luckily I didn't have to shave a hand off the gun like on the guardsmen. Also I completely missed that the gunners and the riot shield dude are on 28mm bases, while everyone else is on 25mm bases. I used as many of the women heads as I could, i'm so happy that they're starting to do this.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Funnily enough similar situation has been plaguing me, so figured I'd ask while it's being talked about.

I recently got a little into Kill Team since it seemed a bit less of a thing to get going than full 40k (my friends got into that and I asked in here about it a few months back, decided not to take the plunge into it just yet) and I'm wrestling with the same thing with the Veteran Guardsmen, I made the Kommandos pretty easily and am now paralyzed a bit by the guardsmen, is the rundown on Goonhammer broadly accurate? From a few of those previous posts it sounds potentially more limited than this list implies? Or maybe it needs some fudging even with the list?

Potential options on the left and then their recommendations for what to make in that slot on the right.
1 Sergeant, Confidant, Veteran Trooper = Sergeant
2 Sniper, Demolition, Veteran Trooper = Sniper
3 Spotter, Medic = Spotter
4 Flamer Gunner, Veteran Trooper = Flamer Gunner
5 Medic, Veteran Trooper = Medic
6 Plasma or Melta Gunner, Comms Veteran, Veteran Trooper = Plasma Gunner
7 Grenade Launcher Gunner, Zealot Veteran, Veteran Trooper = Grenade Launcher Gunner
8 Plasma or Melta Gunner, Bruiser Veteran, Veteran Trooper = Melta Gunner
9 Hardened Veteran, Veteran Trooper (could convert to Comms, Bruiser, Confidant or Zealot) = Comms Veteran
10 Veteran Trooper (could convert to Comms, Bruiser, Confidant or Zealot) = Confidant

I don't mind buying a second box in the future in any case if I turn out to like how the Guardsmen play (local store has people who play a lot and they're happy to let me try stuff out so I'm going to try different ones before I commit to one, I just got the starter cheap), in that same article it suggests you want to have the option to have 4 extra of the basic troopers in your squad anyway. I assume if I were to buy a second box, I could definitely make one of all of the uniques in each pose and have the 4 basic troopers too right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I find how the ig play in 40k to be pretty fun and you can fold veteran squads into a regular ig army so i had no problems buying a second box, albiet months later. But its a frustrsting build and gw needs to be kicked in the balls for it.

I have no advice to give on the matter, just saying if you have a guard army, a second box wont hurt