Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
but where are the hurricanes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Paradoxish posted:

The 384h GFS got you

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SirPablo posted:

The 384h GFS got you

Not hitting Lake Charles.

Not credible.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Not hitting Lake Charles.

Not credible.

ugh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SirPablo posted:

The 384h GFS got you

I agree, gently caress FSU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Paradoxish posted:

it's only a hurricane if it's from the hurrica region of west florida otherwise theyre legally required to call it sparkling typhoon

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SirPablo posted:

The 384h GFS got you

#lockitin

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Hurricane Season!

Typhoon Season!

Hurricane Season!

Typhoon Season!!

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
Typhoon nanmadol looking nasty
https://twitter.com/NHKWORLD_News/status/1571400158923091974?t=WA7l0F2sg4TqWmpIHypDTA&s=19

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

The Vinja Ninja posted:

In my home village of Nome, The entire front street is completely tore up, you can even see where I worked in the background (the buildings hit by the waves).

Also the airport is flooded, this is so great.

https://twitter.com/CanaItch/status/1571229311323045891?s=20&t=tVUjwit1xA0DEklWObTt1w

https://twitter.com/BradfordSmithAK/status/1571231445892632576

Everything is FINE.

I am really glad I got my mom to sell her 2 blocks from frontstreet house and move to the hills.

So far one house has washed into the river near the airport, and since the main part of the storm surge isnt there, its gonna get even better.

My fav nugget of wisdom is that all the bars are on front street, and they all store their alcohol in what shouldnt have been built, but in underground almost below sea level basements.

Yikes I hope things work out okay. Thoughts and prayers for all that improperly stored booze

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/CarmenYulinCruz/status/1571573711278317569
https://twitter.com/newsismybusines/status/1571580359225257984
https://twitter.com/AlaStormTracker/status/1571567670163607552

goochtit has issued a correction as of 20:47 on Sep 18, 2022

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
The Fiona stuff is odd because it's a fairly weak storm? Not sure how an entire grid gets knocked out by that

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Brogeoisie posted:

The Fiona stuff is odd because it's a fairly weak storm? Not sure how an entire grid gets knocked out by that

I think the implication is that PR's grid still hasn't been meaningfully/lastingly repaired since Maria, just 'patched to work,' and now that a 'weak' storm has blown through, they're hosed sideways because most Americans don't even know (or care) it's a sovereign US territory and everyone living there is an American.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The last ten seconds of this video give off quite the vibe.

Pare, indeed.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Brogeoisie posted:

neglect, underfunding, being a colonial possession of the united states

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’m not an expert but it appears to be raining rocks?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

TACD posted:

Roofing material of some sort maybe?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

TACD posted:

putting the meteor in meteorology

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

https://twitter.com/adamonzon/status/1571600473693511680

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

https://twitter.com/CC_StormWatch/status/1571604927918772224

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

pretty cool future where we get pretty much daily videos of bridges washing away down overflowing massively flooded rivers

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lol temporary bridge setup by the military for 5 years.

Government didn't fix poo poo after the last storm.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

lol temporary bridge setup by the military for 5 years.

Government didn't fix poo poo after the last storm.

well good thing they didn't spend all the time and money replacing it since it was clearly just gonna wash away again

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

well good thing they didn't spend all the time and money replacing it since it was clearly just gonna wash away again

incredible not making my bed energy

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
if there is one thing ive learned is that living on islands and not islands are both risky propositions

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

We all live on this island called earth :)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Omnicarus posted:

We all live on this island called earth :)

Pale blue dot.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Been listening to an audobook version of Sagans Cosmos and sometimes hes such a nerd and ill catch myself shaking my head going "Comon CARL"

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Do they have any paper towels left that Trump tossed them? Bounty is the quicker picker upper

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

A Bakers Cousin posted:

if there is one thing ive learned is that living on islands and not islands are both risky propositions

only a moron would live near a coastline or on an island with climate change. only a moron would live in a place without water, prone to droughts. only a moron would live in a place that gets too hot, or too cold, or is dependent on fossil fuels. should have climate proofed. buncha morons picked a vulnerable place, smh

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think the implication is that PR's grid still hasn't been meaningfully/lastingly repaired since Maria, just 'patched to work,' and now that a 'weak' storm has blown through, they're hosed sideways because most Americans don't even know (or care) it's a sovereign US territory and everyone living there is an American.

When I was still living there last year, my power would go out randomly, for periods of time ranging from five minutes to 24 hours. In my neighborhood, transformers seemed to explode at random. This would happen every couple of weeks in good weather. After four hours I'd trudge down to the store to buy ice for my groceries.

Sometimes you'll see a story that a town loses power due to an iguana getting fried on the power lines, a substation randomly bursting into flames, etc. The power grid is a complete poo poo show.

random eg to show that I'm not exaggerating about the iguana thing, ("last week the power went out in the metro area due to a cat, and today it went out again due to an iguana ")

https://twitter.com/Residente/status/1108139890154328065?s=19

Thesaurus has issued a correction as of 03:04 on Sep 19, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
So right now Puerto Rico is getting wrecked by a hurricane, Alaska is getting wrecked by a different hurricane, and Japan is getting wrecked by a third hurricane, all at the same time?

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Gripweed posted:

So right now Puerto Rico is getting wrecked by a hurricane, Alaska is getting wrecked by a different hurricane, and Japan is getting wrecked by a third hurricane, all at the same time?

sorry I was told this season would be a nothing burger so that can’t be right

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gripweed posted:

Do we get to guess which hurricane the secrete prize is hidden in? Cos if so I'm going with Hurricane number three!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Better three separate hurricanes than one hypercane wrecking them all at the same time

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

TehSaurus posted:

sorry I was told this season would be a nothing burger so that can’t be right

no hurricanes have wrecked continental us so it sounds like a whole lotta nothing on burgers

pity about all that crab, sushi, and whatever puerto rico is stereotyped for eating

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
wonder if we will ever develop a cool perma super storm like jupiters great red spot, it could even be centered at jupiter florida

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Thesaurus posted:

Better three separate hurricanes than one hypercane wrecking them all at the same time

We 100% sure their not working their way around to meet up somewhere? like maybe in the north pole somewhere?

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

dr_rat posted:

We 100% sure their not working their way around to meet up somewhere? like maybe in the north pole somewhere?

hyper-polar-cane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

dr_rat posted:

Do we get to guess which hurricane the secrete prize is hidden in? Cos if so I'm going with Hurricane number three!

Well careful, if the first one turns out to be a goat, always switch your guess!