Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shneak posted:

This poster just sold me on this movie.

Written and directed by Zach Cregger from The Whitest Kids U Know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

is that David Harbour

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Santa but evil has been done and is boring. What a stupid thing to sign up for.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

is that David Harbour

Yup. You're jumping over to Universal marketing, right? You can get the inside scoop.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

Yup. You're jumping over to Universal marketing, right? You can get the inside scoop.

Yes starting on the 26th. Bye, Starz, won't miss you.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm pretty sure every evil Santa movie has used the tagline "You better watch out" except You Better Watch Out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Vintersorg posted:

Santa but evil has been done and is boring.

Name seven examples.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Even the Silent Night, Deadly night series itself got bored with evil Santa by the fifth movie and instead it was about Mickey Rooney making killer toys and robot boys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's like 5 Tim Allen Santa Clause movies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Actually, Santa's not evil in this one. He's the hero saving a family from a group of mercenaries.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vintersorg posted:

Santa but evil has been done and is boring. What a stupid thing to sign up for.

Not to spoil anything but Santa is not evil.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

There's like 5 Tim Allen Santa Clause movies.

Time for the horror reboot The Satan Clause

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Even more tedious than the B-movie "Santa is a murderer" horror concept is just the "Santa is a gruff badass" concept in a ridiculous number of non-horror movies. Rise of the Guardians or The Christmas Chronicles for kids, Fatman or Bad Santa not for kids. This David Harbour movie feels more like the latter.

Edit: I googled because there was no way JK Simmons hasn't played a gruff version of Santa Claus, and sure enough he did in 2019's Klaus.

Xealot fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Sep 16, 2022

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gripweed posted:

Name seven examples.

Bad Santa
Santas Slay
Silent Night (2012, not the 80s)
Fatman
Krampus
Silent Night, Deadly Night
Black Christmas (altho just a Christmas movie really)

Xealot posted:

Even more tedious than the B-movie "Santa is a murderer" horror concept is just the "Santa is a gruff badass" concept in a ridiculous number of non-horror movies. Rise of the Guardians or The Christmas Chronicles for kids, Fatman or Bad Santa not for kids. This David Harbour movie feels more like the latter.

Edit: I googled because there was no way JK Simmons hasn't played a gruff version of Santa Claus, and sure enough he did in 2019's Klaus.

Klaus is really drat good and he's gruff for a fairly serious reason.

Klaus finally tells Jesper about his wife, Lydia, and explains he had made the toys to give to the future children the couple hoped to have, but they couldn't conceive and Lydia died from an illness.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don't think the killer ever dressed like Santa in the original Black Christmas. The batshit 2000s remake, yes.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A badass Santa starring Harbour sounds pretty good to me, actually.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Codependent Poster posted:

A badass Santa starring Harbour sounds pretty good to me, actually.

The Unsaturated Badass Macbeth from Last Action Hero but Santa and David Harbour

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
It's produced by David Leitch's company, who also did Nobody with Bob Odenkirk.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
here's perhaps the best evil Santa movie

https://youtu.be/tSCrg_qMI1s

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Light Gun Man posted:

here's perhaps the best evil Santa movie

https://youtu.be/tSCrg_qMI1s

I think you mean this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RQlikX4vvw

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Never heard of this but drat hell poo poo if I’m going to watch it now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t like that movie because it didn’t go far enough

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

Kind of how I felt about it. It had some excellent creepy spooky bits early on, but they don't maintain the vibe.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah Rare Exports is a fun concept but it had potential to be so much better and bigger. And that was the plan but they didn't have the budget, even at 1,8 M € it was one of the biggest budgeted films in Finland at the time so that tells you something about the size of the industry and what they had to work with. It's obvious in the third act that they had to take some shortcuts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I would I’ve totally taken a big kaiju suit that didn’t look amazing but kept the concept going.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Perhaps you've heard of Sinterklaas, of David Sedaris' "Six to Eight Black Men" fame.

Obviously they had to make some tweaks to the international DVD cover (for every country that is not the Netherlands or Belgium).

There is an odd chance you might remember the name of director Dick Maas, not only because it's funny, because he also directed horror movie De/The Lift from 1983. It received an international remake in 2001 called Down, also known as The Shaft (I recommend the embedded trailer).

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 18, 2022

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
New Ghost album lookin’ real drat cool.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

His new one, Sisu, whips fuckin rear end and is super goopy.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Good to hear!

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Man no wonder Drew Struzan retired.

https://twitter.com/seekandspeak/status/1571478752399441920?s=20&t=qIlpOmF4jRvTnH45rOLSkw

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sounds about right. As computers grant the ability to rapidly change art, the studios use that for more and more feedback and 'tweaks' because they're easier now, which rapidly and inevitably expands out to fully directing the poster design, reducing the poster designer just just an art machine no longer doing design, and of course since the old poster designers know better about how to design a poster then the committee of people in the studio with a dozen different interests behind them, the quality goes through the floor and we no longer see many of the gorgeous older style posters anymore.

The unused hellboy poster:

The studio poster (this is the 'cool' artistic teaser one they used instead of the above, there's also a general all-cast-pose one)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 18, 2022

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Giant robot? Boring! Gotta show Hellboy punching grass!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Believe it or not he's the good guy" would work better if he still had the horns.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Lobok posted:

"Believe it or not he's the good guy" would work better if he still had the horns.

And if it wasn't a sequel where we already had a movie showing he's the good guy.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

If T2 were made today they would have made Cameron use that tagline.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mister Chief posted:

If T2 were made today they would have made Cameron use that tagline.

False.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Sounds about right. As computers grant the ability to rapidly change art, the studios use that for more and more feedback and 'tweaks' because they're easier now, which rapidly and inevitably expands out to fully directing the poster design, reducing the poster designer just just an art machine no longer doing design, and of course since the old poster designers know better about how to design a poster then the committee of people in the studio with a dozen different interests behind them, the quality goes through the floor and we no longer see many of the gorgeous older style posters anymore.

It’s all a gigantic dick waving exercise by people who have to add more and more revisions simply to assert that they hold more power.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

See also the modern state of vfx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

They’re not producers, they’re “creatives”