Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I mean yes but I am also limited by the tyrannical trailer park management not letting me park 6 cars in my lot like is my GOD-GIVEN RIGHT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are you in the US? My US Impreza did not have a tow rating. That means that very, very bad things will happen if you need to file an insurance claim or have a warranty issue after towing anything. I wouldn’t risk it. Rent a pickup by the hour from a home improvement store/uhaul.

(Or get a crosstrek)

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Also don't you already have a tow vehicle for your trailer that you're swapping the 350 on?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You need a Baja.

Ugh I need one too.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Rolo posted:

Ugh I need one too.

Really everyone needs one.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I've owned 2 and I want a third. They are amazingly useful, but not great for a big senior dog with bad hips.

Someday though.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Maybe that's what Subaru will do. Electric Bajas. Dad's thinking about getting an F-150 Lightning ahead of 2035, which means I've been looking at F-150 Lightnings, and think, "...yeah, okay, I could probably see myself driving that, if it weren't so FUCKOFF HUGE. Maybe smaller. Like a Baja."

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah I don't expect to be able to tow much, it says 750kg so 1650lb.

This sounds like a european, australian or maybe canadian tow rating. Which is not the same as a US tow rating. So basically:

hobbesmaster posted:

Are you in the US? My US Impreza did not have a tow rating. That means that very, very bad things will happen if you need to file an insurance claim or have a warranty issue after towing anything. I wouldn’t risk it. Rent a pickup by the hour from a home improvement store/uhaul.

sounds like a bad idea, OP. Sell the SVX, get a Baja. Everyone loves Bajas.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Maybe that's what Subaru will do. Electric Bajas. Dad's thinking about getting an F-150 Lightning ahead of 2035, which means I've been looking at F-150 Lightnings, and think, "...yeah, okay, I could probably see myself driving that, if it weren't so FUCKOFF HUGE. Maybe smaller. Like a Baja."

Agree, something like an EV Baja/Bronco/Ranger would be amazing. Maybe we'll get one with an EV Santa Cruz if it weren't ugly as hell.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I managed to bend the Schrader valve core in my A/C line hooking up gauges while not paying attention today. Went to autozone but the Schrader valve core kit they had has a different type of valve. I was able to get it to pop up in place by removing it but it definitely leaks a little now and I'm relying on cap (which has a seal) to keep the refrigerant in until I can get a replacement valve.

It looks like this (two seals in these locations), which is listed for the Subaru Impreza:

But when I do the parts matching to a 2015 STI I am coming up "no valve cores available".

No way the STI uses a different one right? It looks like there are only 2-3 sizes available that have the double seal but IDK poo poo about schrader valves. Anyone know how I can find the "proper" one?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

luminalflux posted:

Also don't you already have a tow vehicle for your trailer that you're swapping the 350 on?

Yes but also it gets much worse mileage than the Impreza and I need something to mount a winch to so I can pull the truck into the garage. OTOH a friend just mentioned that his car has a spot for a winch on the front but no winch so I could mount it there.

I just looked on cars101 and it has a 1500lb rating, so it has a rating, just lower than I thought. I might not get the tow hitch since the immediate need to pull a truck into a garage is no longer a factor. I'd still like to mount a winch to the car somehow but I'm not sure how best to do it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just looked on cars101 and it has a 1500lb rating, so it has a rating, just lower than I thought.

Subaru’s US website doesn’t rate the Impreza for towing at all though. The Crosstrek is rated for 1500lbs, so they probably just put the for the Impreza too. I suspect it’s just lifestyle upsell bs but maybe it has slight stiffer springs in the rear? My Impreza will bottom out and scrap on drive ways with 4 adults and a little bit of luggage.

I just rent when I need to tow which sucks, but a bigger car wouldn’t fit in my garage anyway.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

I managed to bend the Schrader valve core in my A/C line hooking up gauges while not paying attention today. Went to autozone but the Schrader valve core kit they had has a different type of valve. I was able to get it to pop up in place by removing it but it definitely leaks a little now and I'm relying on cap (which has a seal) to keep the refrigerant in until I can get a replacement valve.

It looks like this (two seals in these locations), which is listed for the Subaru Impreza:

But when I do the parts matching to a 2015 STI I am coming up "no valve cores available".

No way the STI uses a different one right? It looks like there are only 2-3 sizes available that have the double seal but IDK poo poo about schrader valves. Anyone know how I can find the "proper" one?

It's probably one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-Condi...ps%2C102&sr=8-1

That's one of the kits I keep around for this kind of thing.

The only way you're going to find the right one is likely be measuring and comparing or just matching it up.

As I'm sure you know the cap, even with a gasket in it, is not a long term solution and you'll lose your charge rather quickly especially if it's the high side valve.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

JawKnee posted:

Hello, I have another new noise that I need some help with diagnosing in my automatic '06 Impreza 2.5i wagon

About a month ago I pulled out drivers side front axle, and then put it back; I did this do deal with a previous clicking noise I was getting only when starting to accelerate/stopping accelerating, or when shifting from drive to reverse, or reverse to drive. That seems to have worked great - that noise is no longer there. For about 3 weeks, including a couple longer trips out camping the car has run quietly.

This last week a new noise has begun - a rhythmic clicking noise that is:

- Not audible if the windows are up (or if there is too much traffic noise)
- Will only become audible at a speed above 30km/h, and will increase in frequency as speed increases, up to 60km/h when it is occurring too quickly to differentiate clicks
- Stops when making a left turn
- Seems to be consistently there when going straight or making a right turn

What I've done:

- Lifted the car on jack stands to see if I could replicate the noise. The noise is not present while the car is lifted, no matter how much I accelerate
- Checked wheels for play in the bearings, no clunking, no play on front or back
- Removed wheels and checked axle boots for damage, none present
- Checked dust shields on front and back wheels. Back rotor has a bit more of a lip than front rotor, but not enough to interact with the shield unless it were flexing mightily while on the ground, shields themselves seem to be in fine shape

Not really too sure what else I can/should look at here. Not being able to replicate the noise makes me think it could be some stress that's being put on the outer or inner cv joint when it's on the road, or maybe something with the struts? Would appreciate any other recommendations for areas to look into

Mystery solved: it was a loose clip-on wheel weight. Found it in my parking spot, and found where it used to be on the inside rim

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!
I got a 2nd Gen BRZ, 2022 edition just by chance. I asked on lead times for them in Aus and one of the dealerships around me had it in the spec and subaru blue racing colour I wanted as their demo model, and were happy to sell it to me.

The car is fun to drive. I opted for an automatic as I do a lot of city driving and start-stop commuting now, but I mostly drive manual using the paddles for fun every couple of days.

Car good! Car fun! No problems so far!

I was not provided with a flannel shirt, though I normally wear one so...

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm not sure how it works with the flannel and RWD Subarus. I think they mail you a vape pen about 6-10 weeks after purchase.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Horsebanger posted:

I got a 2nd Gen BRZ, 2022 edition just by chance. I asked on lead times for them in Aus and one of the dealerships around me had it in the spec and subaru blue racing colour I wanted as their demo model, and were happy to sell it to me.

The car is fun to drive. I opted for an automatic as I do a lot of city driving and start-stop commuting now, but I mostly drive manual using the paddles for fun every couple of days.

Car good! Car fun! No problems so far!

I was not provided with a flannel shirt, though I normally wear one so...

Welcome, brother.

Remember to check your oil levels regularly and keep an eye out for any RTV stuck on your dipstick.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Motronic posted:

It's probably one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Glarks-Condi...ps%2C102&sr=8-1

That's one of the kits I keep around for this kind of thing.

The only way you're going to find the right one is likely be measuring and comparing or just matching it up.

As I'm sure you know the cap, even with a gasket in it, is not a long term solution and you'll lose your charge rather quickly especially if it's the high side valve.

drat thats cheap. Bought. Thanks!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I have a 2018 6mt Subaru Crosstrek and I've noticed a rattling sound when accelerating in 2/3/4th grear between 2k-3k rpm. Doesn't seem too happen in 1, 5 or 6th gear.

I've done in the maintenance on schedule so far, just shy of 50k miles. It was particularly noticable when going up the Cadillac mountain auto road, fairly steep grade in second gear between 2.2-2.8k rpm

Any thoughts to what it might be?

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a 2018 6mt Subaru Crosstrek and I've noticed a rattling sound when accelerating in 2/3/4th grear between 2k-3k rpm. Doesn't seem too happen in 1, 5 or 6th gear.

I've done in the maintenance on schedule so far, just shy of 50k miles. It was particularly noticable when going up the Cadillac mountain auto road, fairly steep grade in second gear between 2.2-2.8k rpm

Any thoughts to what it might be?

I have something similar on my 2018 at light throttle and low-ish RPM. Goes away with higher-octane fuel so I'm thinking it's knock or similar. Have a look through here and see if this is similar to what you're hearing: https://www.subaruxvforum.com/threads/unknown-engine-noise.155921/

I've been meaning to replace the EGR as some in that thread have done but I haven't got around to it, just filling up with E10 for now and it doesn't happen.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

VacaGrande posted:

I have something similar on my 2018 at light throttle and low-ish RPM. Goes away with higher-octane fuel so I'm thinking it's knock or similar. Have a look through here and see if this is similar to what you're hearing: https://www.subaruxvforum.com/threads/unknown-engine-noise.155921/

I've been meaning to replace the EGR as some in that thread have done but I haven't got around to it, just filling up with E10 for now and it doesn't happen.

The sound in the op video (while faint in the video) is the sound I'm hearing exactly. I don't have time to fully read through the thread right now but I'll bookmark it for later. If you know, is it harmful for the car long term?

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

The Slack Lagoon posted:

The sound in the op video (while faint in the video) is the sound I'm hearing exactly. I don't have time to fully read through the thread right now but I'll bookmark it for later. If you know, is it harmful for the car long term?

It's not good in the longer term but short term the engine isn't going to fail when you hear that. I'd have a shop look into it when you get a chance, and if you're still under warranty take it to the dealer right away to get it on the record. Mine doesn't do it on higher-octane fuel so I've put off addressing it, will either replace the EGR if I can find the parts for a reasonable price or ask the shop to look into it when I take it in in a couple of months.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm looking at a Legacy with a newly rebuilt short block, I'm assuming the PO was zooming around bouncing off the rev limiter and had a bearing fail or something. Is there anything to be concerned with in the heads, assuming the short block was rebuilt properly? I'm going to have it inspected by a shop, just wondering if a rebuild short block rather than rebuilding the heads as well is a halfass measure that might come back to bite me.

When the short block was rebuilt that meant a new timing belt and water pump and obviously head gaskets so that basically means all that important work was done 1k miles ago, which is a plus in a way assuming the short block rebuild isn't a halfass fix.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm looking at a Legacy with a newly rebuilt short block

I didn't know Toyota made a Legacy. You should not buy this and keep looking for that Toyota Camry or other inexpensive but reliable vehicle that was suggested for you.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I've had 115k miles of good luck with my Impreza, so maybe I'm more biased towards Subaru than I should be, IDK. I also saw your answer in the other thread so I won't go with this one. Simply put I'd ideally like something full time AWD, I was thinking of a Rav4 but from what I remember those have part-time AWD like the CRV that don't do as well for reasons that I've had explained but forget.

There's a 2015 Accord and some 2012-2014 Camrys in my price range so I'll look at those instead. My '09 Camry did terrible in snow but OTOH I didn't have studded snows and I know that makes a world of difference.

I genuinely thought that a new engine would be a good thing assuming it inspected well otherwise.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Sep 18, 2022

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Some fucker backed in to my 2019 Crosstrek and gouged up the rear bumper a fair bit. Where should I be looking to find a replacement bumper plastic assembly to replace this?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That's the bumper cover, you can find them on ebay for <$200 unpainted, or various subaru parts websites. Paint and blend will cost more, but that's going to be more of a local thing depending on the body shops nearby. You're probably looking at $600-1000 total depending on the shop.

Or just drive it like it is. That's the classic Camry Bump corner. Something like that is pretty minor.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDcDpUaiwY4
:getin:

Never has a project car peaked my interest to such a degree. Eagerly waiting for more on this project series. It's a pity that I have to wait until 2039 at the earliest to legally import a Levorg to do this myself. Also, I forgot that in Australia they only get the 1.6L instead of the 2.0L so it's no wonder the general consensus of the car is generally uninspiring.

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 27, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
2.4L is the interesting engine, so they're missing out on almost a whole liter of displacement.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Edward IV posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDcDpUaiwY4
:getin:

Never has a project car peaked my interest to such a degree. Eagerly waiting for more on this project series. It's a pity that I have to wait until 2039 at the earliest to legally import a Levorg to do this myself. Also, I forgot that in Australia they only get the 1.6L instead of the 2.0L so it's no wonder the general consensus of the car is generally uninspiring.

We did not just get the 1.6. That was a lower cost option that didn't do well. Because well... it is uninspiring.

Citation - My 2 liter Levorg

The new Levorg / WRX Sportswagon is 2.4 only at the moment

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Going from Forester to STi means it's time for me to suck it up and buy a floor jack. What min-max height jack should I shoot for for a stock-suspension 2021 STi if I want to be able to crawl under the car for oil changes and exhaust stuff? I'll be getting beefy stands as well so my survivability increases.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I use a Harbor Freight "racing" jack for my '20 WRX and there's height to get a hockey puck/punch weld saver on top of it. It's HF, so obviously you don't want to rely on it for safety, but combined with good jackstands it works well.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I've got a weird one... I replaced the battery in my 16 STI, and now the high beams are 'stuck' on. High beams are on by default, dash high beam light is off. If I turn the high beams on with the stalk, nothing changes. If I flash the high beams, the low beams go on and the high beams icon shows up.

wtf? any ideas?

edit: Everything was working normally until I put in the battery, that's the only change

Mao Zedong Thot fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Oct 13, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Before doing anything else check the chassis ground connection from the new battery (ie, resistance/continuity check between negative terminal and bare metal on the chassis) . A bad ground can cause anything to happen electrically.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Well, I have the absolute dumbest resolution possible. The problem was that the headlights were turned off. And what I thought were my high beams were my (apparently very bright) fogs.

I leave my lights turned on all the time in every car that has auto-shutoff, so I would never even consider to check that outside of trying to diagnose this. I am a moron.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a 2022 WTX premium, but I wanted to ask the thread if it passed the smell test:

"Used" '22 WRX, 2600 miles, premium trim package, CVT. It's in a Buick/GMC dealer's used inventory. Carfax shows it was bought new in may, registered in MD, drove down to FL, registered in Jacksonville, then drove back up to MD and re-registered at the end of August and sold to the current dealership mid September where it's sat for a month. I checked it out in person yesterday and had no signs of damage, water, engine was clean, ran great in a test drive.

Checked the timeline, it wouldn't have been anywhere near Florida when Ian hit. Nearest I can figure it was a summer toy for some dude who decided he really just wanted a truck.

Price wise it's a good deal (sub $36k), so I was confused why it hasn't been snatched yet.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Interest rates going up have used car sales starting to drop. You might have a little leverage if your local market is slowing drastically.

Try finding comparables in the area, maybe push them to include a warranty if the factory one doesn't transfer.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Interest rates going up have used car sales starting to drop. You might have a little leverage if your local market is slowing drastically.

Try finding comparables in the area, maybe push them to include a warranty if the factory one doesn't transfer.

Factory warranty is included thankfully. But the local inventor for WRXs is very low. Across several search engines/dealerships there's like 12 2022 WRXs listed.

But they've dropped the price twice in the last month, so it's already down $1000 from initial list, and I got them to double their offer for the trade in (a miracle for a 141k 10 year old sentra).

EDIT: There's plenty of decent deals for older model year WRXs, I'm talking about current model year offers.

Crain fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 16, 2022

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Crain posted:

Price wise it's a good deal (sub $36k), so I was confused why it hasn't been snatched yet.
Probably because the MSRP for a new Premium starts around $32K, so why spend $4K more for a used automatic WRX?

DrChu fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Oct 16, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Crain posted:

I have a chance to get a pretty good deal on a 2022 WTX premium, but I wanted to ask the thread if it passed the smell test:

"Used" '22 WRX, 2600 miles, premium trim package, CVT. It's in a Buick/GMC dealer's used inventory. Carfax shows it was bought new in may, registered in MD, drove down to FL, registered in Jacksonville, then drove back up to MD and re-registered at the end of August and sold to the current dealership mid September where it's sat for a month. I checked it out in person yesterday and had no signs of damage, water, engine was clean, ran great in a test drive.

Checked the timeline, it wouldn't have been anywhere near Florida when Ian hit. Nearest I can figure it was a summer toy for some dude who decided he really just wanted a truck.

This read like a purchase by some dude in the Navy at 18% APR. Especially true if it was near PAX river MD then Jville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

This read like a purchase by some dude in the Navy at 18% APR. Especially true if it was near PAX river MD then Jville.

Oooooh, that makes sense. I think the og purchase area was Mechanicsville, like 30 min out from PAX.

DrChu posted:

Probably because the MSRP for a new Premium starts around $32K, so why spend $4K more for a used automatic WRX?

I uh....can't drive stick ☹️. And there's not really any autos in stock new near me.