Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Can y'all recommend some 2+2 local/online co-op games for Xbox? Two folks on the couch and two more online. Any genre, but the more strategic we can get the better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

chainchompz posted:

I'm looking for a single player, FPS, basebuilding, exploration, and/or open world game where I can kinda just chill and explore and use my base as a hub for refueling between treks. I've played Subnautica (and below zero), minecraft and satisfactory to death already. If there's villagers that I can attract and build a tiny village that's semi-autonomous that's also cool.

I know fallout 4 kinda also did what I'm looking for with regards to basebuilding and exploring, but have also played it to death.
Valheim. No NPCs and bosses can get a bit tricky with one player but still great.

There's also the FPS cookie clicker The Planet Crafter

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark

LLSix posted:

It sounds like you are describing Necesse, except it's not first person.

Broke my personal "no Early Access rule" and got this. Thanks for the recommendation. A few hours in and this seems to hit the spot.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

chainchompz posted:

Broke my personal "no Early Access rule" and got this. Thanks for the recommendation. A few hours in and this seems to hit the spot.

picking this up tomorrow.

I had fired up Age of Conan, and it’s fun, but definitely a game designed around multiple people playing, as it gets real grindy real fast, even with stuff tuned. Plus the uh, recruitment, makes me uncomfortable.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does anyon have any recommendations for an single-player isometric party-based sci-fi RPG? I've just finished playing what there is of Colony Ship, and I've got a hankering for more RPGs what have lasers in 'em.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

Does anyon have any recommendations for an single-player isometric party-based sci-fi RPG? I've just finished playing what there is of Colony Ship, and I've got a hankering for more RPGs what have lasers in 'em.

Shadowrun?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

CommissarMega posted:

Wasteland 3 is great, but more post apocalypse than Sci fi. It's full of robots and lasers and poo poo though

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Wasteland 3 is great, but more post apocalypse than Sci fi. It's full of robots and lasers and poo poo though

:shobon: Sadly, I've played these to death as well, though they didn't occur to me at first. I've also played Kenshi and Fallout Tactics, if that helps.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

CommissarMega posted:

There's Tower of Time, which has strong indie b-game vibes, but also has its high points.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Underrail

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

CommissarMega posted:

Encased

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Invisible Inc is probably not exactly what you're thinking of but fits the bill imo

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
Stellar Tactics may be worth taking a look at though it's in EA.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

BrianRx posted:

Stellar Tactics may be worth taking a look at though it's in EA.

Though I havent touched it recently, this is a fine game.
Especially for being made buy one person.

They finally got chapter 1 finished, though its always been a pretty playable game.
There is a place to do randomly generated missions through a portal or just scour the universe.
Which is pretty massive and has different factions to get involved in.
I really should try it again since they finished chapter 1 and added Psionics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfnN1pgrswQ

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Did anyone ever make a game about loving off to go live in the woods by yourself?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

McCracAttack posted:

Did anyone ever make a game about loving off to go live in the woods by yourself?

Among Trees
Firewatch, sort of

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
UnReal World and you could play Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead like that

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

McCracAttack posted:

DF, Rimworld & Medieval Dynasty all spring to mind.

Most zombie games will give you this experience if you don't mind killing dead things.

Valheim, except it's implied you died instead of choosing to be there.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

Among Trees
Firewatch, sort of

I thought Firewatch was varying degrees of good but it felt like the game sorta resented me for not flirting with they lady on the radio. You could tell their heart really wasn't in the "B" route there.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone else. I will give them a look.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

McCracAttack posted:

LLSix posted:

Most zombie games will give you this experience if you don't mind killing dead things.

Project Zomboid is great for this, it's actually a very good game all around that has received 9 years of constant EA development and counting. If you want you can just disable zombies and play a game where you scrounge around empty cities for supplies then return to your cabin in the woods at night. Or you can live entirely in the woods.

edit: Also in a ton of strange ways it is the closest thing to a modern Ultima Online in existence

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 16, 2022

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

deep dish peat moss posted:

Project Zomboid is great for this, it's actually a very good game all around that has received 9 years of constant EA development and counting. If you want you can just disable zombies and play a game where you scrounge around empty cities for supplies then return to your cabin in the woods at night. Or you can live entirely in the woods.

I actually almost always play without zombies in weird survivalist mode and can confirm it's quite fun!

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

McCracAttack posted:

Does Walden, A Game count?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1011700/Walden_a_game/

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

I thought Firewatch was varying degrees of good but it felt like the game sorta resented me for not flirting with they lady on the radio. You could tell their heart really wasn't in the "B" route there.

That bit felt really discordant and came out of the blue. It was a weird thing to do considering why the protagonist was there in the first place.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I am looking for games where I can not only explore, not only get rewarded for exploring, but can get away with going places I have no business going to and absconding with their delicious loot.

Like Might and Magic II where you could do stuff like powerlevel at a fixed location where self-destructing endgame mobs would appear.
Like Might and Magic VII where I could clean out an endgame dungeon at level 12.
Like Xenoblade Chronicles III where I wandered into a dungeon filled with level 75 monsters at level 47 and escaped with all the treasure (shame treasure isn't actually that useful in XB3)
Like Octopath Traveller where I could pickpocket super cool items from random NPCs off the beaten trail and run through high end zones content in the knowledge that fleeing success was so high I could get away with my bullshit.

And ok, I don't know how to explain this: but open worlds have 2 philosophies, The philosophy of most AAA games where exploration mostly amounts to finding a bunch of random icons on a map and the philosophy of Bethesda's Fallout/Elder Scrolls games and now Elden Ring where exploration leads to new, unique areas, new enemies and new unique loot. Are there any other games of the latter variety?

And have any open-world 'blobbers' come out that I'm unaware of? Blobbers being first person RPGs where your 'character' is an entire party like Grimrock or Might and Magic or Wizardry. Most of these type of games are dungeon crawlers but I prefer less confining games.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 16, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

I am looking for games where I can not only explore, not only get rewarded for exploring, but can get away with going places I have no business going to and absconding with their delicious loot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr3T1Kdhtiw
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1637730/Crystal_Project/

It's a Octopath Traveler homage with the exact type of exploration you're after cranked up way past 11 all the way to 12 to the point where it is the core gameplay mechanic and it's only $14. One of the best games released this year IMO

very light on the story - it's all about exploration, collecting classes, and leveling them up. Just be warned that it features lots of platforming - but it's really clever platforming and I say that as someone who hates platforming. Essentially, if you can find a way to make a jump, there's some reward for making it - whether it's an item or resources or a hidden path or a side-area or access to other hidden paths that allow even more fancy jumps, etc. You are always rewarded when you see a jump and think "hmm I bet I could make that" and then you do it, and the open world is both vast and absurdly complex, with lots of things that you can't find without coming back and exploring later with specific mounts (which allow things like high jumps, gliding, or swimming). And every single area is packed with non-obvious jumps you can make. The exploration is never anything like "comb over every tile" or "swing the camera around to look at every side of things", it's 100% always just looking at the terrain and thinking "hmm I bet I could jump from the top of that fence over to the top of that tree, then from the tree to the lightpole, then up the side of that building and drop down from the chimmney, maybe that's how you get to the chest in that locked room..."

The world comes together in a way that's reminiscent of Dark Souls 1 combined with a complex metroidvania - everything is interconnected with lots of verticality so you'll spend the entire game seeing parts of completely different biomes and finding ways to get there, because there are cleverly-placed jumps all over the place that will let you skip to entirely different areas, even well before you're 'supposed' to be there.

You can cleverly platform your way past like 95% of the entire game if you think outside the box, you can find your way into high level areas way earlier than you have any right to be there and you can unlock classes hidden there or find fantastic loot. There are hidden NPCs and "quests" all over the place. It's also 40+ hours long :unsmith: Unironically this solo-dev indie RPG that released with little to no fanfare is my golden standard for making exploration in videogames fun and rewarding.

The only complaint I have based on the entire game is that balance gets a little wacky towards the end, especially on higher difficulties - late-game fights become very annoying on high difficulty without some ridiculous grinding.

Furthermore it's an open-world blobber in every way except the camera perspective, 6dof movement and the 4-person party, you even design all your party members at the start! :kiddo:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 16, 2022

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

My only warning for that game is that you’ll likely want to playing with the difficulty settings, as after a certain point it stops being ‘yeah bring along whatever you’ll make it work’ and delves into ‘need to put together a cohesive party with a strategy’ and also some classes definitely work better than others.

That said, it’s an absolutely great game, I’m really sad it doesn’t get more noise made about it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

CrossCode

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

ChrisBTY posted:

The Eurojank scene has a bunch of games that don't only allow for this, but pretty much expect it from the player. Elex, Kingdom Come - Deliverance and the classic Gothic series come to mind.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Dragon's Dogma.
Witcher 3

ChrisBTY posted:

And ok, I don't know how to explain this: but open worlds have 2 philosophies, The philosophy of most AAA games where exploration mostly amounts to finding a bunch of random icons on a map and the philosophy of Bethesda's Fallout/Elder Scrolls games and now Elden Ring where exploration leads to new, unique areas, new enemies and new unique loot. Are there any other games of the latter variety?
While map markers everywhere and the whole Ubisoft approach is pretty common, there are plenty of games out there, especially these days, that take a more minimalist approach to their open world.

Breath of the Wild
Fallout New Vegas
Red Dead Redemption 2
Witcher 3

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Thank you for the suggestions friends.

~ Crystal Project: Did not care for the platforming. Really good otherwise. I got really frustrated and started to feel boxed in at some point and was stuck wondering if there was some inane jump I missed.
~ CrossCode: Too many puzzles. I hate puzzles.
~ Dragon's Dogma: Played it. Loved it. Wish it had been properly finished. You can see suture wounds all over that game from the stuff they cut.
~ Kingdom Come: I lost what little remaining patience I had left with that game when I was finally able to get a better sword then destroyed it because a graphics glitch cause the blade to be invisible while I was grinding it.
~ Witcher 3: Amazing game, didn't feel super rewarding on the exploration front. Not much moreso than any ubisoft maps anyway.
~ Piranha Bites Eurojank: I played Gothic 2 once. Gothic 2 felt like the illusion of an open world. Gothic 2 every fight felt like 'ok you got XP and stuff, now find the next single encounter on this map that won't kill you so you get can get more stuff'. I couldn't explore because exploration was unrewarded and inevitably ended up with a dead me. Is Elex like this?
~ RDR, Fallout: NV, BotW: Played them all. Technically I only played RDR 1 but that was enough for me. BotW was lovely and NV is one of my favorite games.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 16, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

CommissarMega posted:

:shobon: Sadly, I've played these to death as well, though they didn't occur to me at first. I've also played Kenshi and Fallout Tactics, if that helps.
...fallout 1?
Or rather:
https://www.nma-fallout.com/resources/fallout-et-tu.124/

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

RDR2 does have a much more open world that allows you to wander a whole lot more and find new loot, it's just that most of the loot you can get on your own wandering throughout the map is animal pelts. There's a lot of things that are even purposefully janky for the sake of some kind of immersion or something. The main meat of the game is still the story quests that lead you from spot to spot, there's a lot of room for downtime in between. It might be worth a look. There's also a whole first person mode for people that like that.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's more that the whole wild west thing doesn't really do it for me.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

It's more that the whole wild west thing doesn't really do it for me.

You're probably already aware of this but Zelda: Breath of the Wild's open world seems to fit the bill.

1.) There are entire biomes that the game never leads you to. There were multiple times in the post game where I found an entire new area and asked myself "Well what the hell is all of this doing out here?".
2.) You can absolutely get in over your head and nab loot from mid to late game areas if you're good enough. The problem there is the game's punishing weapon durability system...

The game is full of stuff you won't see on your first play through and often the only reward is a cool view or a neat pond in the bottom of a ravine. I know Nintendo games aren't for everyone but Breath of the Wild's open world is something special even if it's kinda wonky sometimes. Hot take, I know.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 17, 2022

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Are there any games like FTL, but on a ship at sea? I want to order my crew around while pumping water out of the flooding lower levels.

Also interested in any first-person games where I play as a crewmember of a ship or spaceship during a battle, trying to survive.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Chamale posted:

Are there any games like FTL, but on a ship at sea? I want to order my crew around while pumping water out of the flooding lower levels.

Also interested in any first-person games where I play as a crewmember of a ship or spaceship during a battle, trying to survive.

Puzzle Pirates, Sea of Thieves, and We Need to Go Deeper, but sadly those are all mainly multiplayer.

The only game I've played that really feels like it's following in the model of FTL is Bomber Crew, which is about you commanding the crew of a bomber and having to shuffle them around between guns and repair to keep yourself alive against enemy fighters while also managing the pilot, navigator, radioman, and bombardier to get in, hit your target, and get out.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

edit: Also in a ton of strange ways it is the closest thing to a modern Ultima Online in existence

Holy smokes this game seemed neat but it is completely unforgiving. Feels like the sort of game tuned towards people who have been playing it for all of those 9 years.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Chamale posted:

Abandon ship.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I fancy picking up an ARPG to play on the couch on my PS5. I’ve played a fuckton of Diablo 3 over the years but not since at least 2019. Is it still the gold standard? What else is worth considering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kaesarsosei posted:

I fancy picking up an ARPG to play on the couch on my PS5. I’ve played a fuckton of Diablo 3 over the years but not since at least 2019. Is it still the gold standard? What else is worth considering?

Prob Path of Exile which is F2P.