Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
anyway, a day off, cheers MQ, you had a good innings you mad old bag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I was half tempted to play Queen: Another One Bites The Dust really loudly in my flat at 8pm, but doing so would be venturing into rear end in a top hat territory.

I may go out tomorrow with my new mobile. It has an IR blaster built in with This app installed, that allows you to turn off or mute most TV's, and even have it going on a continuous cycle.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HopperUK posted:

I mean - I don't think it's actually that hard to understand. It's bollocks, it's stupid, it should be done away with, but it's not *mysterious*.

Please explain it to me then, coz it is totally mysterious to me. I cannot begin to imagine why anyone would fanny about in a queue for 18 hours, or pay hundreds of pounds for the wrist band of someone who did, just so I could tell people I was there. Because a) it's on the telly, I can already see it isn't remotely interesting & b) I never knew the Queen, she never impacted on my life. I've shed a tear when family & friends died, I've been moved by the death of artists & creators who have changed my life through their art, even in a small way. I do not understand the performative morning for someone who has...I dunno, wave at people?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It really isn't that mysterious. It's no different to any other idol worship. You get the same when famous pop stars die, and you have people camped out for days so that they can mourn. The royal parasites are no different, and a huge chunk of the population know no different.

As for why people are attracted to the monarchy? The population are programmed to be so from a very early age. Some people are protected from it more so than others, but if you were brought up in a military environment, or went to certain schools (including state schools of the day), it was force fed into you. I guess it's not that dissimilar to being in a cult.

I also find all of this shite confusing as hell, as in I have absolutely no emotional attachment to any of this, but I understand why others might, even in the abstract. I don't get it, but I do... kind of, if that makes sense?

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

HampHamp fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 18, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

I do not understand the performative morning for someone who has...I dunno, wave at people?
Very unfair, she's spent decades keeping a close eye on our tax and inheritance laws and given millions of pounds to trafficked women.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm sympathetic to anyone who views this as a historical moment, the end of the Second Elizabethan Era and just wants to be part of that history.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

It really isn't that mysterious. It's no different to any other idol worship. You get the same when famous pop stars die, and you have people camped out for days so that they can mourn. The royal parasites are no different, and a huge chunk of the population know no different.

As for why people are attracted to the monarchy? The population are programmed to be so from a very early age. Some people are protected from it more so than others, but if you were brought up in a military environment, or went to certain schools (including state schools of the day), it was force fed into you. I guess it's not that dissimilar to being in a cult.

I also find all of this shite confusing as hell, as in I have absolutely no emotional attachment to any of this, but I understand why others might, even in the abstract. I don't get it, but I do... kind of, if that makes sense?

honestly it might be because i'm on the old autistic spectrum - i often find myself feeling like an imposter of a human being because it's so hard to relate to how people feel about things like this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm sympathetic to anyone who views this as a historical moment, the end of the Second Elizabethan Era and just wants to be part of that history.
We are in the Sweat Caroline Era now.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
BAAP BAAAP BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, I suppose I understand the emotions themselves, it's just attaching them to aristocratic inbred parasites that is where I struggle. Artists that we enjoy touch us in our core, I just cannot see royalty on the same level but that's because music plays a far more important part in my life than Liz & her creepy ephebophile sons.

It's just weird as hell being on the outside looking in at a national hysteria. I suppose my parents are to blame in that there was no royal worship when I grew up. I like to think I came to my political opinions on my own but easy to avoid indoctrination when you don't experience it

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I was in a bar and 8pm passed like any other minute. I used it as an excuse to get a ludicrously expensive cocktail (laphroig 10 based)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lady Demelza posted:

I really need to sort out my store cupboards, and chuck a load of stuff on Ebay, but I never seem to have a good run of time to do it. Seriously contemplating taking a day off work so I can make a start.

:golfclap:

Yeah, I reckoned lockdown would be the perfect time to finally get round to a really good clearout. Ahahahaha.

The only thing I've got left in that cupboard now is an absolutely massive 1900s-ish early typewriter that I'm wondering about hauling to a physical auction, because there's no way it's selling on ebay and some rich twit might think it's cool enough to pay me scads for, but oh god it's heavy.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

No, we literally did not have heat or hot water, that was money we had to spend on food. The cats were fine, we spent a lot of time under duvets.

I wouldn’t recommend it, it wasn’t much fun, but it is doable, the four of us survived.

Some years back I wax literally able to see my breath indoors. No, not fun, but yes, sufficient duvets and if it gets cold enough your cat will get under them too.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Yeah mine too. I'm kinda thinking of rehoming my cats, it's not fair to them if I have them live in a cold house this winter. That would be a last resort though. They'll probably just rehome themselves anyway they know the neighbours better than I do.

They have fur. Unless they are in obvious distress dont do this, they will be fine and in much less distress than if they lose their home and food ape.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Quite long but interesting read.

https://www.tribunemag.co.uk/2021/09/remembering-the-invergordon-mutiny

quote:

Remembering the Invergordon Mutiny
By
Jamie Greer
On this day in 1931, Royal Navy sailors mutinied against enforced pay cuts, singing ‘The Red Flag’ as they refused orders. Their actions inspired workers across Britain – and sent fear through the ruling class.

... article....

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

I was in a bar and 8pm passed like any other minute. I used it as an excuse to get a ludicrously expensive cocktail (laphroig 10 based)

Laphroaig based cocktail sounds odd. I'm sure it's a relatively normal thing but i dunno, it seems like the thing makes Laphroaig lovely, the hit you in the face with a brick strong flavours, would make it tricky as a cocktail base.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

It's just weird as hell being on the outside looking in at a national hysteria. I suppose my parents are to blame in that there was no royal worship when I grew up. I like to think I came to my political opinions on my own but easy to avoid indoctrination when you don't experience it
The most amusing thing is that medieval views on the monarchy is that without them there'd be chaos and "Christ and his saints would sleep" whereas one of the most modern defences of the royals I've seen over the past couple of days is that a republic would be 'boring'.

RDevz
Dec 7, 2002

Wasn't me Guv

forkboy84 posted:

Laphroaig based cocktail sounds odd. I'm sure it's a relatively normal thing but i dunno, it seems like the thing makes Laphroaig lovely, the hit you in the face with a brick strong flavours, would make it tricky as a cocktail base.

Does adding a few drops of water to the whisky count as making a cocktail?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My cat is kept warm by one of those heated pad things. She loves it so much I ceded it to her and bought a second one for myself.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Seen in Bristol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and he eats big dinners

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
If you must have whisky in a cocktail or a mixer then use some blended garbage like bells or johnny walker.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
supermarket own label whisk(e)y

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

keep punching joe posted:

If you must have whisky in a cocktail or a mixer then use some blended garbage like bells or johnny walker.

Eh, I dunno. Don't really see the issue with using a £30-£45 single malt in a cocktail if that takes your fancy. Like I can imagine the use of a Speyside or Highland malt in a cocktail. I just think Laphroaig in particular is very overpowering between the smoke and the iodiney seaweed.

Even then I'd assume a skilled mixologist could easily come up with something that works. Actually I'm quite intrigued by the idea and I'm not even a cocktail person (I find the idea of asking a bartender to make something with more than 2 ingredients deeply presumptuous and anxiety-inducing, which is stupid when it is part of their job)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Laphroaig & Irn Bru. And uhhhhh pretty sure the only spirit I have that isn't whisky is Pisco, and at this point I'm just recreating the horrible shitmixes we'd make at house parties where you just pour whatever is open into a large glass & regret it instantly

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
BUCKY && RED-BULL M8

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Red label and drambuie is a decent enough drink. I just hate the idea of mixing a single malt with anything, even a drip of water.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The Google word has changed from grey (for the last week or so) to black tonight (well early hours Monday).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 19, 2022

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
When it turns red and starts pulsating, run

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GrieveWatch/status/1571434153719070721

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
simon says, hated that shite too

who the gently caress is simon anyway

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

crispix posted:

who the gently caress is simon anyway

Conservative Backbencher, obviously

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

honestly it might be because i'm on the old autistic spectrum - i often find myself feeling like an imposter of a human being because it's so hard to relate to how people feel about things like this

fwiw I also really don't get it, I don't get it with other celebs either. I know people do it but I can't at all empathise with the feeling, so I guess I am dulled to the weirdness of it but have never actually understood it.

Like people getting really het up about the footy or something. I know people do it but I haven't ever properly understood it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fuctifino posted:

Seen in Bristol

Banksy here wanting to put the Groom of the Stool out of a job, typical ivory tower lib.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

forkboy84 posted:

Eh, I dunno. Don't really see the issue with using a £30-£45 single malt in a cocktail if that takes your fancy. Like I can imagine the use of a Speyside or Highland malt in a cocktail. I just think Laphroaig in particular is very overpowering between the smoke and the iodiney seaweed.

Even then I'd assume a skilled mixologist could easily come up with something that works. Actually I'm quite intrigued by the idea and I'm not even a cocktail person (I find the idea of asking a bartender to make something with more than 2 ingredients deeply presumptuous and anxiety-inducing, which is stupid when it is part of their job)

I've seen cocktails that used actual smoke as a garnish, I think you could do something interesting with Islay malts and that. I think the best cocktails I've tasted use good liquor; sure, if it's just something that's overwhelmingly sweet it would be a waste to make it with top shelf stuff, but why drink that anyway?

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Albinator posted:

I've seen cocktails that used actual smoke as a garnish, I think you could do something interesting with Islay malts and that. I think the best cocktails I've tasted use good liquor; sure, if it's just something that's overwhelmingly sweet it would be a waste to make it with top shelf stuff, but why drink that anyway?

Penicillin for example is a cool and good cocktail that uses a small float of your islay of choice on top at the end and I think used that way it works great. You get the smoky and peaty nose without really overpowering the rest of the drink, where the major alcohol component is some lighter mixing whisky.

Lunsku fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 19, 2022

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

forkboy84 posted:

Please explain it to me then, coz it is totally mysterious to me. I cannot begin to imagine why anyone would fanny about in a queue for 18 hours, or pay hundreds of pounds for the wrist band of someone who did, just so I could tell people I was there. Because a) it's on the telly, I can already see it isn't remotely interesting & b) I never knew the Queen, she never impacted on my life. I've shed a tear when family & friends died, I've been moved by the death of artists & creators who have changed my life through their art, even in a small way. I do not understand the performative morning for someone who has...I dunno, wave at people?
In a positive way. She has probably helped change your life in innumerable ways, all of which were for the worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I didn't realise literally everything would be closed on Majesty Queen Day. I don't have any lunch fixings in the flat and I gotta be out all day. Where am I going to find my midday vittles???

Unwilling Intermittent Fasting = Ten Fs