Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Black Knight's worse than Secret Rings

I dunno, I actually kind of prefer Black Knight to be honest (you have more control and Sonic is in prime rear end in a top hat form during the story)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
the storybook games both have a lot going for them in terms of style and tone until you actually pick up a controller to play them

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

First: Sonic 2 at a random kid's house, the first one I owned was Sonic & Knuckles
Latest: Uh...SA1, CD or Mania I don't know
Favorite: Sonic CD (2011)
Least Favorite: Sonic Boom lol. Of Sonic Team games, Forces

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Envious of how blessed a life some goons have led for SA2 to be the worst Sonic game they've played

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

shadow is good actually
It grew on me a little after one and a half agonizing"let's torture myself with terrible sanic" playthroughs, and I think I get it now, but it's still quite bad

ArfJason posted:

theres a lot of stuff i havent played including shadow. i imagine if id played idk secret rings or 06 those would be the worst.
That's fair except 06 is good actually

Anyway I also haven't played Free (or any other) Riders or Labyrinth

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
First: Sonic & Knuckles

Last: Origins

Favorite: S3&K (Multiple playthroughs on Origins just confirms that this is one of the best games ever made. CD is a close second due to the JPN soundtrack being one of the best OSTs)

Least Favorite: Sonic & the Secret Rings (There is nothing redeeming about Secret Rings, even the music is mediocre at best)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

First: Sonic 2

Last: Mania

Favorite: Mania

Least Favorite: 06 or Rings, it's almost a dead heat with 06 having funnier cutscenes and a better main theme

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

shadow has a couple decently fun levels but most of the game is either bland or downright torturous.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i watched the frontier tgs trailer and i'm always amused by how sonic's noodly limbs and giant hands keep him from crossing his arms properly

he looks like he's just giving himself a hug

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

First: Sonic 2 for game gear
Last: Unleashed
Best: Sonic Adventure 1
Worst: Secret Rings and it's not even close

Black knight isn't even in the bottom ten of bad sonic games

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

First: Sonic 2

Last: Origins

Best: Mania probably. That or tie between CD and 3&K

Worst: I haven’t played Sonic Boom so I’ll give this one over to 06 even though I’ve got the lovely game guilty pleasure vibe going on with it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

First: unsure if I owned SA2 or the pc collection first, however the true answer is "the sonic adventure 1 demo at best buy where you fight chaos 4"

Last: sonic lost world, technically. Most recently completed is sonic boom.

Favorite: very hard to choose between SA2 and generations. Generations is undeniably the better game but SA2 is the much more definitive sonic experience, and the story was fun instead of barely present

Worst: some interesting notable mentions for me.

-In terms of what I enjoyed the least for time spent it's definitely sonic 3, as at 8 years old trying to play sonic like mario and never "getting it" I eventually gave up after many, many, many hours of not getting past the third zone.

-in terms of what I'd least want to go back to, sonic unleashed was thoroughly awful to play from an incredibly misconceived concept to a terrible execution of the werehog and really bad controls hamstringing the daytime stages. This would be my least favorite if it did not contain rooftop run, however rooftop run is so good it punches straight through every other problem the game has and because the level exists I must award worst sonic game to:

Sonic heroes sucks rear end and I struggle to find any praise I could give it

Sonic 06 and shadow are top tier sonic games for playing while drunk with friends. I have not played the storybook games nor any of the old junk like labyrinth so I can not comment on those. Sonic boom is really bad but there's at least some joy to be had in experiencing what an absolute mess it is, which sonic heroes does not have

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 18, 2022

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

First Sonic: Sonic 1

Last Sonic: Mania

Favorite: S3&K or Mania, it's really hard to choose.

Worst: Unleashed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

First: Sonic 1 (though the first one I actually owned was Sonic 2 on the Game Gear)

Last: Team Sonic Racing (or Origins if you want to count that)

Best: S3K (minus Sandopolis that is)

Worst: Secret Rings

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 18, 2022

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

First: Sonic 1

Last: S3&K Origins edition

Favorite: Sonic 2

Least Favorite: Sonic 3D Blast (I actually kind of enjoyed that RPG that was on the 3DS. )

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxfuL4mQhPI

Looks like there was a Japanese presentation showing off Sky Sanctuary with clear audio.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The best Sonic is the one you last played. The worst Sonic is the one you're playing right now.

- Confucius

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

sonic unleashed is a top 10 game of all time, everyone itt calling it the worst is insane. theres so much heart in that game

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
actually the worst sonic game is sonic 3d blast

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Dunno if this was mentioned, but the Apple version of Sonic 2 actually has a goddamn director's commentary on it. This is what I've been wanting on all these digital movies for years.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Fartington Butts posted:

Dunno if this was mentioned, but the Apple version of Sonic 2 actually has a goddamn director's commentary on it. This is what I've been wanting on all these digital movies for years.

Had to re-read this to understand you're not talking about an Apple computer port of the 2nd Sonic game.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Breadallelogram posted:

Had to re-read this to understand you're not talking about an Apple computer port of the 2nd Sonic game.

No it's definitely that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Dehry posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxfuL4mQhPI

Looks like there was a Japanese presentation showing off Sky Sanctuary with clear audio.

I like it, hope the other cyber space songs are of similar quality.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Breadallelogram posted:

Sonic 2 for Apple IIGS

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

sonic unleashed is a top 10 game of all time, everyone itt calling it the worst is insane. theres so much heart in that game

ok come on you can tell me the werehog isn't bad but you can't tell me it's a top 10 all time game that's insane

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
So many users having first played Sonic 2 for game gear (like me) explains a lot.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I love Sonic 2 SMS, it's just so tonally weird. Half the soundtrack has an overly serious or even dystopian feel to it, Green Hill is in the middle of the game, Scrambled Egg is an absolute banger, and Robotnik's fortress is made of crystal? Madness, complete lunacy; I love it, everyone who says it's bad is a coward.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

ninjewtsu posted:

ok come on you can tell me the werehog isn't bad but you can't tell me it's a top 10 all time game that's insane

All time? Yes, absolutely deranged thing to say

Of Sonic games? There might be an argument for putting it ninth or tenth, especially if you prefer the 3d games

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
First: Sonic 2 (Genesis), though the first one I owned was Sonic 1

Last: Sonic Origins

Favorite: S3&K

Least Favorite: Just of the ones I've played? Probably 3D Blast, though it's definitely not the worst in the series...

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

actually the worst sonic game is sonic 3d blast

ftfy

flavor.flv posted:

Of Sonic games? There might be an argument for putting it ninth or tenth, especially if you prefer the 3d games

Half of Sonic Unleashed is an awesome Sonic game, unfortunately you also have to play through a mediocre God of War clone to play all of it...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

outside of a small handful of levels daytime unleashed is overhyped. i would broadly call it "cool but very rough around the edges" - a daytime only sonic unleashed would be a middle tier sonic game instead of bottom tier

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I love Sonic 2 SMS, it's just so tonally weird. Half the soundtrack has an overly serious or even dystopian feel to it, Green Hill is in the middle of the game, Scrambled Egg is an absolute banger, and Robotnik's fortress is made of crystal? Madness, complete lunacy; I love it, everyone who says it's bad is a coward.

Maybe if I could get past the first boss I would have better opinion on it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Sonic Unleashed is a game you could fix (performance issues on original hardware aside) with, like, a couple dozen changed static variables. It's purely a numbers issue making that game less fun.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Ms. Unsmiley posted:

Sonic Unleashed is half a competent game stapled to possibly one of the worst games of all time.

The day stages are great and I have a lot of love for them, but the water running is loving abysmal and they only really get that right with time later on.

It's just nowhere near as good as what Colours or Generations managed.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

My main issues with Unleashed are that Eggmanland goes on too long and there are too many QTEs in the game (one thing I will give the Wii version is that they broke the final level up into individual stages and the Super Sonic battle at the end is actually a proper fight).

Putting the homing attack on a separate button from the one used for jumping took some getting used to as well (also this is one of the few games that did that so I’m not sure why they changed it anyway)

Also if you replaced the Werehog with Knuckles I think it might have improved things a bit to be honest

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 19, 2022

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

First: Played: Sonic 1 or 2, Owned: Sonic and Knuckles (Sonic 3 belonged to my older sister and it took awhile before I was allowed to combine them...)

Last: Sonic Origins

Favorite: 2D: S3&K or Mania 3D: Generations or SA2B

Least Favorite: (That I actually touched/played) S2 GG or like Sonic Labyrinth.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

flavor.flv posted:

let's get to the bottom of this

1. Sonic Generations
2. Sonic Adventure 2
3. Sonic Colors
4. Sonic Adventure
5. Sonic 2006
6. Shadow the Hedgehog
7. Sonic Battle
8. Doctor Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
9. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
10. Sonic Unleashed

it would appear that unleashed just barely makes my list, largely off the back of the 2d sonic games mostly getting ruled out by my childhood experiences. i nearly put sonic riders above unleashed but if i'm being honest i would sooner play unleashed than dust off the "just ok i guess" sonic hoverboard racing game. boom above unleashed because at least boom has the good grace to be short, and its incompetence is funny more often than unleashed's

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Lol.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Rate the games away, my thread is in ruins.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

let's get to the bottom of this

1. Sonic Generations
2. Sonic Adventure 2
3. Sonic Colors
4. Sonic Adventure
5. Sonic 2006
6. Shadow the Hedgehog
7. Sonic Battle
8. Doctor Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
9. Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric
10. Sonic Unleashed

it would appear that unleashed just barely makes my list, largely off the back of the 2d sonic games mostly getting ruled out by my childhood experiences. i nearly put sonic riders above unleashed but if i'm being honest i would sooner play unleashed than dust off the "just ok i guess" sonic hoverboard racing game. boom above unleashed because at least boom has the good grace to be short, and its incompetence is funny more often than unleashed's

if this is a top 10 worst sonic games then you nailed it friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The worst sonic games are the best ones