Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sywert of Thieves posted:

I remember playing one of the TWD games (they were free) and at some point there's the most ridiculous scene that culminates in something like "press X to chop off your finger" and it was the stupidest thing ever. It was incredibly played up for gore drama and it just fell completely flat for me.

Yeah and games like Last of Us it really becomes ridiculous when you use the same murder takedown on different enemies throughout.. First time it would be “oh jesus christ!” Then it just becomes “yeah yeah stab gurgle gurgle whine, whatever”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It was more a question of why she was doing this, and also why there was such a heavy emphasis on the gore. It's a zombie apocalypse game, people get hurt and patched up all the time.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

It was more a question of why she was doing this, and also why there was such a heavy emphasis on the gore. It's a zombie apocalypse game, people get hurt and patched up all the time.

I really didn't like when GTA had the torture scene. It's like they're trying to teach me a lesson about how bad torture is. Yeah, I'm aware. I just want to play GTA.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

priznat posted:

Yeah and games like Last of Us it really becomes ridiculous when you use the same murder takedown on different enemies throughout.. First time it would be “oh jesus christ!” Then it just becomes “yeah yeah stab gurgle gurgle whine, whatever”

The Last of Us 2 also does the Spec Ops: The Line thing were the character is more weary and messed up the further you get. So besides repeatedly brutally murdering people she also starts cursing under her breath. Nothing like a "gently caress you..." to really accent the person screaming as they are dying because you triggered a death animation where they lost a limb or you hit an artery.

If you enable photo mode after you get a killing blow with a sledgehammer you can see teeth flying through the air...

There are things I like about that game, but it is as subtle as that sledgehammer. "The humans are the real monsters!" and "revenge is bad, m'kay" might as well be sentences visible in every minute of that game.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Sep 17, 2022

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I remember playing one of the TWD games (they were free) and at some point there's the most ridiculous scene that culminates in something like "press X to chop off your finger" and it was the stupidest thing ever. It was incredibly played up for gore drama and it just fell completely flat for me.

e: oh I misremembered, it was Clementine stitching her arm up in excruciating detail. Starts at 22:18 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-dMb08c4LE

You're not remembering wrong. In the first series Lee gets bitten on his arm and you have to decide whether to self-amputate or not

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

404notfound posted:

You're not remembering wrong. In the first series Lee gets bitten on his arm and you have to decide whether to self-amputate or not

And that wasn't gratuitous at all, the game is asking you under time pressure do you have hope Lee is going to survive the game or not

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1glitch0 posted:

I really didn't like when GTA had the torture scene. It's like they're trying to teach me a lesson about how bad torture is. Yeah, I'm aware. I just want to play GTA.

My favorite part of that is it's such a dated reference if it's trying to be like throwing shade on the feds. Yeah we know they were torturing people for information after 9/11 almost instantly. It's like it's their favorite two moves for doing anything, assassinations and torturing people. is anybody shocked by the idea of the FBI/CIA doing that anymore? maybe teenagers the game is marketed for despite most of the jokes being too old for me to really get even though im not even 30. gta5 sucks. the heists were kind of cool though, the whole game should have been that.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Was just planning to play Norco on pc game pass but now I hear it's getting an Xbox release next month so I'll just wait until then. Another win.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Giving Tunic another shot, I think learning how to level up stats, plus moving the camera with LR to look around a bit better has made it a bit better to play.

I remember someone itt ages back said the ingame language isn’t vital to learn, but do you eventually get a cipher or something that reveals at least a few letters?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Norco is real good

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

You won't get a translation feature or anything but understanding the language is also not vital - as a player you're not expected to understand it. The manual should contain all you need.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
It's been a bit but iirc I was able to get every achievement in Tunic without even considering learning the language. Might have gotten around some of it with some TrueAchievements assists though.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Real hurthling! posted:

Norco is real good

It is, OP

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

So when the heck does Goldeneye 64 hit Xbox. Much hype on the internet for it but I don't think I've seen a release date announced. "Celebrate 25 years of Goldeneye" ok sure when?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bond day October 5th probs

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Giving Tunic another shot, I think learning how to level up stats, plus moving the camera with LR to look around a bit better has made it a bit better to play.

I remember someone itt ages back said the ingame language isn’t vital to learn, but do you eventually get a cipher or something that reveals at least a few letters?

You eventually get a manual page that explains a few characters, then I guess you can infer the rest from there. It also extends to the music apparently, musical notes correlate with characters and "Tunic" is likely a pun. Figuring the language out is completely optional, even for getting the best ending. I simply googled for a translated manual after beating the game.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

e: oh I misremembered, it was Clementine stitching her arm up in excruciating detail. Starts at 22:18 in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-dMb08c4LE

The first one has you decide whether to cut off your own arm to delay infection spread so that you can have enough time to save Clementine. Also a whole segment to cut off a person's leg that fails and they get eaten anyway.

I don't get with the TLOU2 gore. It's why I won't play that game. I'm not anti-gore. It's entirely the presentation. I thought it was a bit far in TWD games but it was attempting to highlight an excruciating circumstance that a character had to overcome to continue. In TLOU it's just the language of the game. You press square to brutally murder a girl and then square to brutally murder the next one as they scream over the death of their loved one and break down into tears.

E: sorry, looks like I replied to last page and someone already covered this!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I love gore. Give me a new SoF.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bond day October 5th probs

lmao that literally every franchise now has an "x" day

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Is that the day when James Bond cosplayers take to the streets?

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

acksplode posted:

You eventually get a manual page that explains a few characters, then I guess you can infer the rest from there. It also extends to the music apparently, musical notes correlate with characters and "Tunic" is likely a pun. Figuring the language out is completely optional, even for getting the best ending. I simply googled for a translated manual after beating the game.

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. I remember FEZ having a secret language and I had the best time ever in a game figuring out the translation key. It was 99% optional there too.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I started Fenyx last night. I dunno if I can deal with this corny rear end story the whole game.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lammasu posted:

So you get the Deathloop preorder bonuses if you preload it but that's not an option yet.

It's available now but I don't see anything about the preorder dlc

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The pre-order DLC won't appear in search results but is listed as "Included in this bundle" for the Deluxe Edition: https://www.xbox.com/en-us/games/store/deathloop-pre-order-pack/9nkw0pl318bq

Can't claim it yet.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

I started Thief Simulator. I failed the third mission no less than 6 times before my wife suggested waiting until nobody was home.

I don't think I'd make a good thief in real life. :downs:

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

I started Thief Simulator. I failed the third mission no less than 6 times before my wife suggested waiting until nobody was home.

I don't think I'd make a good thief in real life. :downs:

*Sitcom laugh*

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I started Fenyx last night. I dunno if I can deal with this corny rear end story the whole game.

Turn voice volume off

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Fenyx is actually a lot of fun. The dialogue and story are loving dire but it's basically a mixture of Ubisoft business as usual glut of dumb poo poo to do and Breath Of The Wild. It's not the same frustrating aimlessness that I got from Breath Of The Wild and I've already resigned myself to the fact I probably won't be able to check off every map icon or I'll go crazy.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This is a pretty good deal tbh

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1571658015606214656?s=46&t=MXX_jbXChRxBIwCqwMXMWw

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I liked the story and dialogue in fenyx. It's a light hearted game that the devs obviously gave a poo poo about. Very different to what ubi normally churns out.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That at least is in the same ballpark as NVME drives of the same size and quality (there's some cheap no name ones for $40 just checking microcenter)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
drat, sold out while I was checking out.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

drat, sold out while I was checking out.

:negative:

maybe I'll go check out the target in town tho they might have some...

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I'm probably just going to keep deleting games im done with tbh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Seltzer posted:

I'm probably just going to keep deleting games im done with tbh

Yeah i dont go back unless its something special

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The Deathloop DLC/expansion or whatever is included on gamepass btw. I was confused about that, but good to know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXvyDeApgO0

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

It's nearly here :dance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmsGF-YTHR8

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So, what is everyone's take on the Gungrave games? The next one is coming to game pass so I'll probably try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Worth noting: It'll have cross-platform campaign progress on all platforms (so you can pick up your PC progress on Xbox, etc.) and all consoles will have access to the custom level workshop.

I haven't heard anything about it being on Xbox Game Pass Day 1, but the PC version is already on PC Game Pass and it's published by Humble so, like, probably.