Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Shibawanko posted:

yeah that's the big thing that's missing, the sense that the elves and numenor and all of these cultures are really foreign, in their general outlook as immortals or mortals or just because of their history. it looks flashy but everything feels strangely modern and on the nose

this promotional shot of pharazon just looks so odd, like they're all parks & recreation actors that walked into the wrong dressing room:

there's a sense of remoteness that's essential to make the story work that's completely missing

the lady on the right specifically looks like she serves coffee at starbucks

I'm reminded of this review that really get into how good Tolkien was at creating characters and a narrative voice that felt authentically pre-modern, and how the average fantasy novelist really can't be bothered. It's rather long but I think it describes well a phenomenon that's endemic to the genre:

http://strangehorizons.com/non-fiction/reviews/the-name-of-the-wind-by-patrick-rothfuss-and-the-children-of-hurin-by-j-r-r-tolkien/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it doesn’t help matters that the voice of authenticity in TV today is to just cast everything into modern American voices. Like it’s fun to see BSG guys acting like 9/11 era USAF pilots because that’s the joke. But then “they’re just like us” becomes the standard template and not the exception

E: when I’m in Palo Alto I like to look at the giant tree that the town is named after and imagine a company of 20-something Spanish expeditionary soldiers cracking jokes about the “Big Twig” and I feel a kinship with them, but at a certain point you want some alien-ness again

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

yeah that's the big thing that's missing, the sense that the elves and numenor and all of these cultures are really foreign, in their general outlook as immortals or mortals or just because of their history. it looks flashy but everything feels strangely modern and on the nose

this promotional shot of pharazon just looks so odd, like they're all parks & recreation actors that walked into the wrong dressing room:

there's a sense of remoteness that's essential to make the story work that's completely missing

the lady on the right specifically looks like she serves coffee at starbucks

Man there are so many things to not like about the show and I’m continually amazed at the strange complaints people have.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
ep4 review:

it's coming along
it's still very slow
but trajectory is good
i am giving them a lot of leeway since they're 3000 years of history into a much smaller amount of time and I guess Galadriel visiting Numenor (the entire arc is really dumb) is just an excuse to get Numenor to invade Middle Earth and fight Sauron. Still, there were better ways to have done it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The Rings of Power:

alcaras posted:

Still, there were better ways to have done it.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

OctaviusBeaver posted:

The reason they can't imitate Tolkien is because they aren't from that generation. Tolkien spoke Gothic and Latin and Old English, he actually understood other cultures and could write from other perspectives. We don't really teach history or ancient languages any more, so it makes sense that the only thing they can write is a reskinned 2016 USA. Their minds don't encompass anything else. If it happened before Twitter then it doesn't exist as far as the writers are concerned. That's why the elves wear identical uniforms and bitch about army rules, because what soldiers do now and that's all the writers know. That's why Galadriel is a loose cannon cop, because they have nothing to draw from except American pop culture.

This is pretty much how I, as European and aging Gen-Xer, often feel about contemporary cinema and tv. Everything is a meme, trope or allegory of American politics and society. And often as a regurgigated and more shallow variant than in past iterations.

It's that kind of US-centric writing that will likely ruin the next season of The Boys, if they turn Homelander into an icon for Trump voters.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 18, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I don't think modern writers necessarily lack perspective. I think the biggest issue is how formulaic everything is required to be now. In the 80's you could just go make whatever crazy rear end movie. Now so many movies are formulaic because they know that kind of movie makes money and so there's less willingness to take risks or produce something original.

Look at like Marvel movies. If you've seen one you've seen them all. There's a comfortable formula they use and it's largely followed to the letter.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Even Tolkien in lotr was framing stuff in terms of contemporary politics. It’s unavoidable . I mean doestoyevsky is thoroughly immersed in 19th century Russian politics but it’s still good !!

I think the main issue is the show is not great

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I love how people see “the immigrants will take our jobs” and jump to “they’re injecting contemporary American politics into the show!” As if that’s not a tale as old as time. The Chinese Exclusion Act was passed in 1882.

Xenophobia is not a new thing folks.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I am pretty sure the reason for the Numenorian invasion of the Undying Lands had like 100% to do with Sauron poisoning the humans’ minds with “why do they get to be there and also be immortal and not us” and not DEY TOOK OUR JERBSSS

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

jeeves posted:

I am pretty sure the reason for the Numenorian invasion of the Undying Lands had like 100% to do with Sauron poisoning the humans’ minds with “why do they get to be there and also be immortal and not us” and not DEY TOOK OUR JERBSSS

I mean both are incorrect. Sauron pushed them over the edge but the cloud had long been over Numenor progressively driving them to be tyrannical and reactionary against the Valar, Elves, and Middle Men.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Mahoning posted:

I love how people see “the immigrants will take our jobs” and jump to “they’re injecting contemporary American politics into the show!” As if that’s not a tale as old as time. The Chinese Exclusion Act was passed in 1882.

Yes I'm sure the Chinese Exclusion Act is what they had in mind while writing that scene.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just think it's amusing imagining the economics of Middle Earth. Elves have crafts and trades but do they use a monetary system? Do they have guild unions and supply quotas?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Gonna be honest, I really want to enjoy the Rings of Power, and I mostly am. I think the casting is fine for the most part, I'm fine with some of the changes and grudgingly tolerant of others (Galadriel). But... I am really not digging the Numenor plotline. Like, at all. The actual design of Numenor is excellent and I think the casting is fine for the most part (Pharazon is actually really good, IMO!), but I don't like a lot of the decisions made surrounding it.

I'm not going to nitpick it too closely, but Numenor in general just feels very off from what I imagined, and it's a shame because I feel like it has the best source material to work with? But maybe I'm just being too judgmental, idk

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

SerSpook posted:

Gonna be honest, I really want to enjoy the Rings of Power, and I mostly am. I think the casting is fine for the most part, I'm fine with some of the changes and grudgingly tolerant of others (Galadriel). But... I am really not digging the Numenor plotline. Like, at all. The actual design of Numenor is excellent and I think the casting is fine for the most part (Pharazon is actually really good, IMO!), but I don't like a lot of the decisions made surrounding it.

I'm not going to nitpick it too closely, but Numenor in general just feels very off from what I imagined, and it's a shame because I feel like it has the best source material to work with? But maybe I'm just being too judgmental, idk

I'm getting some strong "15th century Northern Italy city-states, but with more marble" vibes from it somehow and I'm not sure yet if I like that. Some sets like the royal court remind me of renaissance paintings.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Yes I'm sure the Chinese Exclusion Act is what they had in mind while writing that scene.

Way to miss the point.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

I just think it's amusing imagining the economics of Middle Earth. Elves have crafts and trades but do they use a monetary system? Do they have guild unions and supply quotas?

I have wanted to say for a few pages, Elves working is not really something I ever envisioned, for whatever reason.

I figured they hang out and sing songs and whatnot, when they aren’t hunting orcs.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
I just realized that the U-S-A chant would work pretty well with NU-ME-NOR and I hope the writers use it when Pharazon usurps power.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BoldFace posted:

I just realized that the U-S-A chant would work pretty well with NU-ME-NOR and I hope the writers use it when Pharazon usurps power.

They'll need to work in Miriel saying : https://www.starwars.com/video/so-this-is-how-liberty-dies

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Mahoning posted:

The problem is that they are introducing banal concepts to a high fantasy setting, thereby dragging it into the muck of real world issues. Is it worth reducing all the ambience of Tolkien's world down to the lowest common denominator, to make sure that any viewer can understand it?

Have they captured the magic of the source material at any point so far? I can't think of anything memorable. Maybe except for the scenes with the Stranger and the red intro scene from the war against Morgoth.

Someone described Galadriel as a loose cannon cop earlier. Gil-galad as petty politician. Arondir as a war-weary Iraq veteran. Valinor as asylum for inconvenient elves. Numenor as island of chuds.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 19, 2022

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Of all the things to complain about in that episode, I wasn't expecting Númenoreans expressing xenophobia in the same dumb way that xenophobia is always expressed to be on the list at all.

This is a mass-market television show. They want to make sure that viewers notice the important parts. "The people of Númenor irrationally resent elves" is a major theme, so just in case you hadn't noticed it already, they put a scene in near the beginning with like a hundred extras where a guy is irrationally resenting elves. "Galadriel treats every situation like it's the battlefield" is a consistent trait of her character from the start of the show, but for those in the back, they had Halbrand state it outright, so that when she stops doing that it'll be more noticeable that she changed. (Though I do think that having him mansplain Miriel's situation was unfortunate.) This coming Friday I bet we're going to have Poppy say something about being treated like a part of Nori's family.

I'm the last person you'll ever hear say "turn off your brain," but I think that it is important to recognize the signals a story sends about how it is going to be told.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MrMojok posted:

I have wanted to say for a few pages, Elves working is not really something I ever envisioned, for whatever reason.

I figured they hang out and sing songs and whatnot, when they aren’t hunting orcs.

As they say, there are Klingons who make toilet seats, Klingons who sell insurance …

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Saruman in lotr is a straight up allegory on 1930s-1940s “authoritarian” demagogues using media (radio)to entrance people. It’s always been part of Tolkien

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

The problem is that they are introducing banal concepts to a high fantasy setting, thereby dragging it into the muck of real world issues. Is it worth reducing all the ambience of Tolkien's world down to the lowest common denominator, to make sure that any viewer can understand it?

Have they captured the magic of the source material at any point so far? I can't think of anything memorable. Maybe except for the scenes with the Stranger and the red intro scene from the war against Morgoth.

Someone described Galadriel as a loose cannon cop earlier. Gil-galad as petty politician. Arondir as a war-weary Iraq veteran. Valinor as asylum for inconvenient elves. Numenor as island of chuds.

Are you insinuating that xenophobia is a banal concept? In a fantasy series dripping with fear and hatred of other races?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

euphronius posted:

Saruman in lotr is a straight up allegory on 1930s-1940s “authoritarian” demagogues using media (radio)to entrance people. It’s always been part of Tolkien

Remember the developmental versions of Saruman's speech trying to sway Gandalf?

It's all extremely ripped-from-the-headlines appeasement rhetoric, "we are so smart we'll be able to steer the fascists when they take power" stuff, even more so than the final text

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No what home is it in ? I stopped at book 3 I think

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whichever one covered the development of Fellowship, The Return of the Shadow (VI) I'd guess

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Once I finish wheel of time I will go back to those

Thanks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've been stuck 2/3 through The Great Hunt for about 6 months now

I can only make it about a sentence at a time this run through

lol that Corey Olsen is taking some snide potshots at it lately

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Book 4 is banger so push thru

There is one scene in the beginning of book 4 that just kind of teleports the story to a new level

I heard it slows down in book like 10 or so

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I've been through it all once before, but this time I know what's coming so I know what to watch for. Yet somehow that makes it worse

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Are you insinuating that xenophobia is a banal concept? In a fantasy series dripping with fear and hatred of other races?

Is it? Because the fantasy series I read has been promoting the idea that cooperation and friendship across ethnic boundaries ultimately leads to the achievement of mutual goals. And in one of the Faramir chapters the author even finds kind words for a fallen enemy from a hostile country.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Hammerstein posted:

Is it? Because the fantasy series I read has been promoting the idea that cooperation and friendship across ethnic boundaries ultimately leads to the achievement of mutual goals. And in one of the Faramir chapters the author even finds kind words for a fallen enemy from a hostile country.

Perhaps you misread my comment, I didn’t say it ENDORSED xenophobia. But it does contain it as a central concept and to your point rebukes it. It is one of the themes of the book.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

In this TV show, the protagonists are generally open to cooperation with outsiders, whereas their antagonists tend to be more guarded or hostile.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not sure why they went with xenophobia when the perfectly good motive of envy and distrust was right there.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

Mahoning posted:

Perhaps you misread my comment, I didn’t say it ENDORSED xenophobia. But it does contain it as a central concept and to your point rebukes it. It is one of the themes of the book.

Rebuke it? I pointed out your error when you described Tolkien's work as

quote:

a fantasy series dripping with fear and hatred of other races

while forgetting that another core theme are tolerance and overcoming prejudice.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ravenfood posted:

Not sure why they went with xenophobia when the perfectly good motive of envy and distrust was right there.

As I posted in the show thread, it seems to me that the book angle of "Númenor's upper crust is obsessed with death, so Armenelos is full of necromancers and snake-oil salesmen selling potions and spells to prolong your life, and alchemical embalmers hovering around the palaces promising to preserve your corpse after you die" would be plenty drat cinematic, and kind of novel for TV at that.

Imagine billboards all over the city for long-life elixirs and everywhere you look is a bigger LOOK ON MY WORKS YE MIGHTY AND DESPAIR statue being erected than the one just down the street

The bar fight scene having the union guys making fun of the Low Man for "only" living to 80; "drat, I wish I looked that good when I hit 200 :smuggo:"

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I've been through it all once before, but this time I know what's coming so I know what to watch for. Yet somehow that makes it worse

I found the so-called slog of 7-10 a lot more enjoyable knowing it was The Middle than I did reading the series when there only were ten books and no one was sure how close the end was.

Then again, my last time or two through the series was by audiobook, which just ... keeps going, while I'm commuting or washing dishes.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Ravenfood posted:

Xenophobes often feel envy and distrust for foreigners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

Rebuke it? I pointed out your error when you described Tolkien's work as

while forgetting that another core theme are tolerance and overcoming prejudice.

Tolkien's work contains many important instances of characters who express fear and hatred of other races. It also contains many important instances of characters pointedly refraining from doing this. You might say that xenophobia, which is to say the fear and hatred of other races, is a very common topic for his work to discuss; you might more poetically express that his work is dripping with it.