Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

3D Megadoodoo posted:

In Sweden, you can change your vote.

Wait what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

If you vote by mail only the last one counts, so you can override yourself until the last day. AFAIK

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you voted in advance, you can vote again on election day. e: and the first ballot is discarded unopened.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

credburn posted:

I understand that "monkey cheese" is shorthand for that kind of random comedy that was really popular in the 00s. Didn't realize until now it's a reference to an actual cartoon, created by James Rolfe. Makes perfect sense. Ugh, I hope that guy didn't turn out to be a huge poo poo; I haven't paid any attention to him in quite a while but I recall reading that he was a really decent guy.

Random rear end anecdote: I bumped into him at the Portland Retro Games Expo a year or two before COVID. Literally bumped into him, we apologized to each other, and I said I recognized him from somewhere. He asked if I could remember where, and I couldn't, and we started a short kind of banter, but before we could talk more, a dozen folks identified him and swarmed us, begging for selfies. It was kind of unfortunate; he was clearly on his way out when we collided, but he was super gracious and happy to stop what he was doing to take selfies and sign things.

I think "monkey cheese" humor came from kids watching media characters like Ed from Ed Edd and Eddy, who used a lot of non-sequitur humor and were big in the late 90s-early 00s, and trying to copy them without really understanding what makes them funny. Since their audience was also a bunch of kids it often worked even if the material kind of sucked. I got some big laughs with monkey cheese humor around, I want to say, 1999. Then when their tastes got a bit more refined (say 8th graders vs. 6th graders) they'd look back and say "wait this material is actually pretty bad".

Kids have some intuition for comedy so when selecting "random" words they choose things like monkey and cheese that have associations with fun and zaniness rather than, say, bottle or deer.

I don't think there was a singular progenitor of monkey cheese humor, I'd assume the term was coined by an observer to describe it.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't think there was a singular progenitor of monkey cheese humor, I'd assume the term was coined by an observer to describe it.

I remember "purple monkey dishwasher" being a funny thing, but can't remember where it came from. Simpsons?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

credburn posted:

I remember "purple monkey dishwasher" being a funny thing, but can't remember where it came from. Simpsons?

Yep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lH-yw5vffg

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I blame Chef Brian

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Scaramouche posted:

I blame Chef Brian

This is honestly where I thought monkey cheese came from when this conversation happened some previous time, before trying to look it up.

Garrand has a new favorite as of 03:53 on Sep 19, 2022

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Scaramouche posted:

I blame Chef Brian

No, I refuse to believe that Ctrl-Alt-Del could be that influential.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Bargearse posted:

No, I refuse to believe that Ctrl-Alt-Del could be that influential.

It was influential in creating the biggest you-had-to-be-there reference that has ever existed.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

credburn posted:

It was influential in creating the biggest you-had-to-be-there reference that has ever existed.

And thus, a whole generation came to know the Loss meme without ever knowing CAD.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

credburn posted:

I remember not monkey cheese but the phrase "cheese monkeys" getting a lot of play when I was in 6th grade. Sounds similar to "cheese eating surrender monkeys", which was also from the Simpsons. Looks like someone did eventually write a book called The Cheese Monkeys.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Scaramouche posted:

I blame Chef Brian

Yeah I seem to recall it first from the random word vomit Ctrl alt del comics

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I thought my cat liked to lay in the exact spot in the apartment halfway between my wife and I, but it turns out that is just where the AC blows onto the ground

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Scaramouche posted:

I blame Chef Brian

Everyone's hates on him until they get a transporter-based emergency.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

hawowanlawow posted:

I thought my cat liked to lay in the exact spot in the apartment halfway between my wife and I, but it turns out that is just where the AC blows onto the ground

Lol owned

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Michael Ironside is still alive. I could have sworn he died in 2019.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

TK-42-1 posted:

Michael Ironside is still alive. I could have sworn he died in 2019.

He was supposed to, oddly enough, but they saved him and now we are stuck in this hell timeline

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We branched off into the hell timeline a lot earlier than that when Reagan survived

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Jack and Daxter are not Ratchet and Clank. That's two different video game franchises.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Muscle Tracer posted:

Jack and Daxter are not Ratchet and Clank. That's two different video game franchises.

in a cool world we'd have gotten a couch coop game with all 4

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Add Michael Ironside and I'm in.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

verbal enema posted:

That's Sly you're thinking of.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

verbal enema posted:

You could half do this in Ratchet Deadlocked

(Although Clank and Daxter aren't present, it had a couch co-op mode and you could use Jak as a character model)

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've lived a block away from a large skate park for years and I never knew about it because it's hidden behind some trees.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

:aaa:

I guess I shouldn't be that surprised. Here in metro Detroit, I'm north of Canada.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Japan has points that are farther...

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
So I went to a concert last week and apparently instead of throwing the horns I was just signing 'I love you' to all the bands. Gotta fold your thumb inward, apparently

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon
hey maybe the bands like to feel loved, too

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Golden Dragon posted:

hey maybe the bands like to feel loved, too

This is also tru

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Astrofig posted:

So I went to a concert last week and apparently instead of throwing the horns I was just signing 'I love you' to all the bands. Gotta fold your thumb inward, apparently

The new Jeffrey Dahmer show on Netflix has an extensive episode with a deaf victim, and that Love Sign is shown a handful of times, which is kind of cool (the sign, not the love between murderer and victim).

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I loving hate Dahmer and all serial killer media gently caress.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I didn't figure this out, I had to be directly told, but there's a hip-hop, rap and R&B station in my town called WDKX. What I never knew was it's D for Frederick DOUGLASS, K for Martin Luther KING Jr., and X for Malcom X. My mind was loving blown when I heard that, I nearly drove into a fire hydrant.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Stations don't come up with their own call letters, though?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Idk dude, the bumper and the page both say it

So they're either lying or they got a choice

I'm gonna be honest I don't think you're right

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 00:47 on Sep 28, 2022

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Drimble Wedge posted:

Stations don't come up with their own call letters, though?

Here's a thing we both just learned

quote:

While the earliest radio call signs were randomly or sequentially assigned and intended merely to distinguish transmitters, they soon became an important part of a station's identity, and since the mid-1920s government regulators have allowed station owners to choose their own.

I knew they weren't random (for example here in seattle the station KEXP is affiliated with and broadcasts from the Experience Music Project) but i thought they were assigned by i dunno the FCC or something

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I still remember when I realized why Channel 21 was WXXI. That was a fun early childhood mind-blow.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Brawnfire posted:

I still remember when I realized why Channel 21 was WXXI. That was a fun early childhood mind-blow.

It actually occurred to me the other day why KVAL used those letters. It's in a valley.

Never thought of it before hadn't thought of or been there in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

WDIV, Detroit's NBC affiliate, is on channel 4. I only discovered the connection a few years ago while reading Wikipedia. We also have WADL, founded by the Adell family. :dumb: