Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

They are not for eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
people keep saying they're not invested in any characters but im invested in basically all of the harfoots and durin's dope wife and I guess durin too after the whole dad chat

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

the only likeable characters so far are Durin and his dope wife

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

i like black elf spartacus , the dwarf fam and maybe elrond if the actors head didnt look like it was being reflected off 6 different funhouse mirrors at once.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Sauron speculation (ep4): Pharazon doesn’t canonically have a son, right? So that pretty boy who he’s teaching everything to and whom he calls “my son” seems like he could be Sauron’s fair form? It would mean turning around the plot where Sauron is dragged back to Numenorrrr in chains like a magic vercingetorix, but that seems like something that could happen within the bounds of adaptation.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Beefeater1980 posted:

Sauron speculation (ep4): Pharazon doesn’t canonically have a son, right? So that pretty boy who he’s teaching everything to and whom he calls “my son” seems like he could be Sauron’s fair form? It would mean turning around the plot where Sauron is dragged back to Numenorrrr in chains like a magic vercingetorix, but that seems like something that could happen within the bounds of adaptation.

Possibly, but for an ancient demi-god Sauron seems to be awfully focused on making time with Isildur's cute sister instead of corrupting the people as a whole if Sauron is Pharazon's son. That whole thing seems more likely some kind of Romeo/Juliet warring sides romance thing than anything else.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I hope so badly that Sauron isn't any character we've met thus far and that all these hints they've been bashing us over the head with are just misdirects to create speculation and engagement. I hope the writers have the intelligence and restraint not to do what it really looks like they're doing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I hope the writers have the intelligence and restraint not to do what it really looks like they're doing.

Based on the low writing quality so far, they definitely do not.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also speaking of things in towers, I got a big dumb pop when Galadriel just casually walked past Narsil in that big atrium of Important Numenorean poo poo as Míriel goes to show her the palantir.

I'm pretty sure the axe next to it was Tuor's axe, Dramborleg, since there is a shield shaped like swan wings next to it.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 19, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

As a non-book reader, I thought ep 4 was the best yet. RoP remains my must watch ASAP show of the week. Even HOTD can wait a couple hours.

On an unrelated note, Amazon needs to change their official hashtag. It should be #RingsOfPower not #TheRingsOfPower

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
One thing Ive been ruminating over is something from the trailers that might give a pretty strong indication how this season might end.

I think this assault on the Southlands by Numenor, Galadriel and Halbrand is going to end up being a pyrrhic victory if not a totally pointless attack.

Judging by the sequence of shots it seems as if they succeed in routing Adar and returns the people to their village but only for Mount Doom to become active and erupt or some other cataclysm that completely wipes out the Southlands as we know it and ushers in the start of Mordor.

We see the attack, we then see a shot of the village with Galadriel and people in it, then a huge shockwave blast happening and then shots of her waking up in the same village in a hell fire, covered in ashes.

I think we may end this season with basically this whole quest quite literally blowing up in Galadriels face.

Edit: I also forgot that shot of Isildur looking at something in ME and there being fireballs raining down near him.

S1 def ending with Saurons big "Im back bitches" Mount Doom big bada boom

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 19, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i think a lot of you are expecting things to move a lot faster than they will. I do not think Sauron ascends in Mordor until the rings are already made. The whole point is he gives them to people who then don't suspect anything, and then secretly makes the master ring.

I think season 1 ends with us seeing Annatar, and I think all of the speculation is mostly being created by fans because they don't want you to know if The Stranger is good or evil yet. The southlands plot is to get Numenor actively involved in Middle Earth again since the show is not starting with them having a colonial empire. Celebrimbor started the project with Elrond with an insane deadline that he has not explained yet. This implies Celebrimbor has already spoken to Annatar and the deadline may be because of a demand/suggestion from him.

We know they are going to make the rings and there is 0 reason whatsoever to think they are not going to have Sauron as Annatar involved since that is literally the one core story they are basing this entire thing off. Why would he be off in the ocean getting shipwrecked, or loving about in the wilderness?

If that's indeed what they do then I'll castigate this show too, but there is no reason to do so right now.

spoilered since it seems that's the convention for later show speculation that might be revealing stuff to non book nerds

Season 1 ends with a temporary victory in the southlands as the people there are rescued, but Annatar is revealed as a final moment of Celebrimbor being "oh hey Elrond, please meet our benefactor"

Season 2 shows the forging of the rings and ends with The forging of The One Ring, Adar ascendant in Mordor as Mt Doom erupts

Season 3 is the war between Sauron and the elves, the conflict is getting Numenor to actually fight a true war, not an expedition, Numenor saves the Grey Havens and western Eregion.

Season 4 is the continuing war, Pharazon sabotages the war effort, stalling it and usurping Miriel. Numenor then easily defeats Sauron, bringing him back in chains

Season 5 is the Downfall and then the lead up to the Last Alliance, which is now just one continued one since the forging of the rings.

Everything can shift on the edges there, like maybe the downfall is the end of season 4, or whatever, but i am not understanding people that think Sauron will be in chains at the end of season 1.

WoodrowSkillson fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 19, 2022

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The show should've paced its story across several thousand years but also should be moving much faster than it is. :eng101:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Sauron began building Barad-dur in Mordor long before the rings were formed, around SA 1000. Whether this was known by the rest of ME I cant recall. But wasnt even Gil-Galad sort of aware Sauron was starting to stir poo poo up again in the east way way early in the SA? Obviously show Gil-Galad doesnt but it wouldnt mean that ME becoming aware of Saurons set up shop in Mordor stops anything with Annatar happening since it sort of played out that way in the source material.

I think it'd be an interesting twist if Annatar proposes the forging of the rings as a way to defeat or protect themselves from Sauron who has announced himself in Mordor.

"Identify their fears and give them a way to master it". (I dont think Halbrand is Sauron)

Honestly I just have no idea what those trailer shots I referenced would be depicting unless its a Balrog but I doubt it.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 19, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

AccountSupervisor posted:

Sauron began building Barad-dur in Mordor long before the rings were formed, around SA 1000. Whether this was known by the rest of ME I cant recall. But wasnt even Gil-Galad sort of aware Sauron was starting to stir poo poo up again in the east way way early in the SA?

I think it'd be an interesting twist if Annatar proposes the forging of the rings as a way to defeat or protect themselves from Sauron who has announced himself in Mordor.

"Identify their fears and give them a way to master it". (I dont think Halbrand is Sauron)

Honestly I just have no idea what those trailer shots I referenced would be depicting unless its a Balrog but I doubt it.

That quote might indeed be FROM Sauron, thousands of years ago and passed down as wisdom. I'm ignoring the timeline stuff like that since the show is, but i do not think they will violate the general order of events, at least they have not made me think so yet. And yeah I think the entire point of the show being the Rings means it will not be a quick process of distributing them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I always felt like one of the necessarily implied aspects of the development of 2nd-age Middle-earth was that Mordor was formed over the course of hundreds of years of slow decay + volcanic eruptions and lava flows; it isn't something that would have or could have happened overnight, or even over the course of like 20 years. It seems more ... geological in nature.

I might just not be imagining it right, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the showrunners have in mind.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Yeah I dont mean Sauron just snaps his fingers and the Southlands is Mordor overnight...

I think what were seeing in those shots is whatever the catalyst is to start that slow decay and that is the first volcanic eruption.

Maybe its not obviously "hey its me Sauron check out my volcano" but perhaps its the first of many geological events that will eventually fully transform the Southlands into Mordor as we know it and serving as a very bad sign.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

That quote might indeed be FROM Sauron, thousands of years ago and passed down as wisdom. I'm ignoring the timeline stuff like that since the show is, but i do not think they will violate the general order of events, at least they have not made me think so yet. And yeah I think the entire point of the show being the Rings means it will not be a quick process of distributing them.
There has been a rising "return of the King" parallel between what we've seen in the LotR movies with Aragorn and what's been said about Halbrand in the show. When Miriel dismisses the Southlands as a shithole, Galadriel says that there is someone who could unite them in an almost 1 to 1 parallel with the Elrond/Gandalf scene in the PJ movies.

I don't think Halbrand is Sauron for 2 reasons:
1) They have to use Annatar in the story and Halbrand is being set up as a major character.
2) Halbrand seems to have a precise story arch already - his ancestor was the king who swore fealty to Morgoth, he is escaping his "destiny" as king of the Southlands, he is going to eventually aknowledge his responsability and, in the end, Sauron will abuse his sense of duty towards his newfound people and exploit his fears to turn him into a Ringwraith, maybe even the Witch King. It would be a nice parallel with Aragorn's story, but with a tragic ending.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Not my theory, but some interesting ideas raised about the possibility that Sauron has "split" his personality into 2 people.

"And into this Ring he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life."

Given that the ring has a will of its own in the PJ movies, it's not a stretch to think that Halbrand might be Sauron's positive personality traits while Annatar is his negative traits (or vice versa idk), and that one of these Saurons will end up getting made into a ruling ring.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Moltke posted:

Not my theory, but some interesting ideas raised about the possibility that Sauron has "split" his personality into 2 people.

"And into this Ring he poured his cruelty, his malice and his will to dominate all life."

Given that the ring has a will of its own in the PJ movies, it's not a stretch to think that Halbrand might be Sauron's positive personality traits while Annatar is his negative traits (or vice versa idk), and that one of these Saurons will end up getting made into a ruling ring.

i would hate this so much

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Theres also a theory Ive heard going around that Halbrand could end up becoming the King of the Dead and that the blood oath to Morgoth he referenced will be the reason they cannot aide the Last Alliance and betray Isildur.

Its me. Im the dork who loves some mystery boxin. Check my reg date. Guess what show I cut my teeth on these forums with.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
New theory: Sauron hasn’t been seen yet, and will first appear in episode 8.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

at this point id be relieved if its just the heavily telegraphed halbrand and not some contrived bullshit

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

wrong tolkien thread lmao'

Torquemada posted:

its going to be this

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Torquemada posted:

I'd like to think that the writers know how Internet works these days and are loving with us.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
The Sauron mystery box is definitely the thing I dislike/find the most unnecessary for the story, but I am confident that no matter who winds up being Annatar, it will be revealed in a very over the top or amateurish way. Like a slow motion turn around with a musical sting at the end of an episode.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sauron will turn out to be an innocuous character that we glimpsed in passing, but in hindsight having this armor on display in his home should have been a dead giveaway.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wouldn't put much stock in preview images since they've established a palantir that projects teasers from future stories.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

at this point id be relieved if its just the heavily telegraphed halbrand and not some contrived bullshit

Call it now, it's won't be Halbrand. For one thing, he's been way too helpful to Galadrial, even saving her life when she fell off the raft and was drowning. For another he's already got the arc of king/heir running from his responsibility to save his people and coming to accept that responsibility. Every time it's come up Halbrand has been "Please for the love of the Valar leave off. I want to stay here and make a life in Numenor. I categorically do NOT want to be King of the Southlands." Of course Galadrial, being the original Elven bull in a china shop, will conspire to push his rear end into that role anyway because Gods-dammit she wants her war with Sauron. For a final thing, Sauron wouldn't be the kind of ignorant dumbass who steals somebody's Guild medal after buying them drinks and then get tossed in jail.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Everyone posted:

For a final thing, Sauron wouldn't be the kind of ignorant dumbass who steals somebody's Guild medal after buying them drinks and then get tossed in jail.

Is he though? I mean, he is, but I don't think the people who wrote that part think so. I don't think they realised how stupid that makes him look. In all of his other scenes he's shown to be very savvy and insightful.

However: I now remember seeing some promotional material of him that's from a point we haven't gotten to in the story where he's dressed up like some kind of proto-Rohirrim holding a sword with a horses head on the hilt.

I don't know and I really hope not but they sure seem to be going out of their way to leave Sauron shaped breadcrumbs leading to him.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Gonna make some guesses and check the thread once the season is finished:

Sauron = not shown yet
Stranger = some wizard (not Gandolf)
Halbrand = Witch King (won't find that out for several seasons, I'm assuming)
Adar = dead by end of the season

I'm fairly confident in these because if I were writing a mystery into a LoTR story they would be what I would do. And I, having never written any fiction stories since grade school, am only one writing credit away from having the same industry experience as the show runners.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Arguments like “this character would t do that” don’t work because these aren’t the characters you know and care about. They’re just bootlegs with the same names. They don’t really have much to do with their Tolkien counterparts. If they’re just going to write Galadriel as a dickhead and Elrond as a chump, there’s no reason to believe they wouldn’t write Sauron as a dumbass.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It seems pretty easy to let it slide as salbrand/hauron knowing that doing some dumb petty thievery would make everyone underestimate him, plus he got to brutalize some people which he would be into

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Arguments like “this character would t do that” don’t work because these aren’t the characters you know and care about. They’re just bootlegs with the same names. They don’t really have much to do with their Tolkien counterparts. If they’re just going to write Galadriel as a dickhead and Elrond as a chump, there’s no reason to believe they wouldn’t write Sauron as a dumbass.

Admittedly taken from Tolkiengateway but:

quote:

Galadriel grew beautiful and tall, even for the women of the Noldor, being strong of body, will, and mind, "a match for both the loremasters and the athletes of the Eldar in the days of their youth."

quote:

Indeed, "she was then of Amazon disposition and bound up her hair as a crown when taking part in athletic feats".

quote:

Fëanor and Galadriel were always unfriends, both being the greatest Eldar in Valinor; and if Fëanor was greater than her, she was wiser, and her wisdom grew with the long years. For she also had an outstanding gift to see into the minds of others, and she hated and feared the darkness in Fëanor.

quote:

She was proud, like most of the House of Finwë, and like her closest brother Finrod, "she had dreams of far lands and dominions that might be her own to order as she would without tutelage". But deep in herself, she had the noble spirit of the Vanyar, which did not allow her to forget the reverence for the Valar.

quote:

Afterwards, she even desired to follow Fëanor to disturb him in all the ways that she could, but nothing could have moved her to return since she had begun her way to exile, as her pride was strong then as it was thereafter.

quote:

Being one of the chief leaders of the Noldorin rebellion, Galadriel was not allowed to return and a ban was set upon her, to which she replied that she had no wish to do so. The same pride that led her out of Aman still moved her, and she rejected the pardon of the Valar, for as she had once lived in Aman itself, Eressëa seemed only a "second best".

quote:

Circa the year 500, Sauron began to stir in Middle-earth again, but his name was not known. He was, however, perceived by Galadriel, who noticed there was a controlling evil, and that it was spreading above the world, coming from the East beyond the Misty Mountains. She also thought this 'residue of evil' could only be fought with an alliance of all its enemies. Therefore, she and Celeborn moved eastwards and established the realm of Eregion near Khazad-dûm. Celeborn was not fond of Dwarves, but she saw the importance of getting close to them, for she saw military interests even with them.

Do you think these descriptions are that different from what we see on screen? Seems like Galadriel is supposed to be quite a dickhead and stubborn too.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I haven't read the source material nor have I watched the PJ films in a long time, but it's really jarring to see a commander who's hundreds of years old and part of a very diplomatic race (at least in this show) talking to a foreign noble who's granted her an audience with absolutely no tact. As with a certain other scene in episode 4, they know they want certain characters to personify certain traits but they don't bother making it justifiable.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

If I were amazon I would simply borrow from the hit game middle earth shadow of war and introduce the character of sexy shelob

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I hope the balrog is female and has huge knockers. We need more female monsters with huge knockers in media, imo

rkd_
Aug 25, 2022

Spermando posted:

part of a very diplomatic race (at least in this show)

I mean they're not really and I don't think this show has stressed that too much beyond Elrond and perhaps Celebrimbor. Occupying lands hundreds of years after their defeat does not seem very diplomatic either.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I don't know how the gently caress you get that she was supposed to be a dickhead out of any of the stuff you just quoted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Elves, best known for murdering the poo poo out of each other and then going to war for millennia over a few dumb rocks: top diplomats who make good and definitely not passionate in the moment decisions