Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Hackett may be the first coach fired this season. He is completely out of his depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

The most damning thing for Reich is that we're still seeing the exact problems we saw in the last two games last year that cost us a playoff spot, and you can't blame Carson anymore.

I don't think Reich loses his job during the season. His seat is heating up but I don't think Irsay will do any mid season firing. Especially since I don't think any coaches on staff are really head coach material or would do any better.

It's more likely Gus gets thrown out first if the defense keeps playing like they have.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/TheNickShook/status/1571635340443779072

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
With all the coaches they've been through since Kubiak, how does Hackett by far look like the worst of the bunch.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Benne posted:

As far as I can tell, Bill Callahan is the only coach to get fired just one year after making a Super Bowl. Apparently Zac Taylor really wants to be the second.

Of the guys who won it, the fastest to definitely get fired was Don McCafferty, who coached the Baltimore Colts when they won Super Bowl V in 1970 and got fired 5 games into the 1972 season when he wouldn't bench a mostly dead-armed Johnny Unitas. However, the team had switched owners that season, previous owner Carroll Rosenbloom had traded the Colts for the Rams with Bob Irsay, and neither Irsay or the new front office people had any real loyalty or interest in the former players/staff, so McCafferty got fired pretty quick. I say "definitely" got fired, since there will probably forever be some question how mutual the Jimmy Johnson-Jerry Jones split was just months after winning Super Bowl XXVIII.

Of guys who lost the Super Bowl, yeah Callahan getting fired after the following season is by far the quickest case of a clear firing, since he took most of the blame for the Super Bowl loss and then the Raiders just fell apart in 2003. Jim Harbaugh only lasted two more seasons in San Francisco before losing the power struggle to Trent Baalke, I think they framed it as "mutually parting ways" but he was effectively fired. There's a few others who resigned within 1-2 years of losing a Super Bowl but weren't fired: John Rauch left the Raiders a year after losing Super Bowl II because he didn't want to keep dealing with Al David, Don Shula left Baltimore just a year after losing Super Bowl III because Miami offered more money & GM powers, but I don't think any others got fired in less than 2-3 years of losing a Super Bowl.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 19, 2022

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

syzpid posted:

With all the coaches they've been through since Kubiak, how does Hackett by far look like the worst of the bunch.

Probably because those other coaches knew things like "don't try a 64 yard field goal" and "send someone out to return a punt."

Edit: Lol.

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1571637674888364033

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 19, 2022

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

aperion posted:

I feel like either Hackett who’s overmatched as a head coach

I think it's definitely this unless Russ just stopped caring at all. That is a poorly coached team and everything's coming at Hackett too fast for him to get plays in or make decisions.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Benne posted:

As far as I can tell, Bill Callahan is the only coach to get fired just one year after making a Super Bowl. Apparently Zac Taylor really wants to be the second.

He just signed an extension this offseason. I don't think he is gone this year barring a complete collapse. Now Frank Pollack (oline coach), and Brian Callahan (OC) are definitely on the chopping block.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

korrandark posted:

He just signed an extension this offseason. I don't think he is gone this year barring a complete collapse. Now Frank Pollack (oline coach), and Brian Callahan (OC) are definitely on the chopping block.

"Complete collapse" feels like it's on the table.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Last week I was thinking about who are the worst coaches ever to make a Super Bowl, and somehow forgot Bill Callahan as the obvious answer. So I decided to go a little effortpost and quickly rank all the coaches who made a Super Bowl in the 21st Century. I stopped at 2000 because this is the era I grew up with and have more strong feelings about, if a more old-school poster wants to go through the older coaches that would be cool too.

You can argue with the exact placements if you want, this is not a hot take thing, I just went by general feel and career accomplishments with like 2 minutes of thinking.

Bill Belichick (6x winner, 3x loser)
Andy Reid (1x winner, 2x loser)
Sean McVay (1x winner, 1x loser)
Sean Payton (1x winner)
Mike Tomlin (1x winner, 1x loser)
Mike Holmgren (1x winner, 2x loser)
Pete Carroll (1x winner, 1x loser)
Tony Dungy (1x winner)
John Harbaugh (1x winner)
Dick Vermeil (1x winner, 1x loser)
Jon Gruden (1x winner)
Bill Cowher (1x winner, 1x loser)
Tom Coughlin (2x winner)
Bruce Arians (1x winner)
Jim Harbaugh (1x loser)
Mike Martz (1x loser)
Kyle Shanahan (1x loser)
Gary Kubiak (1x winner)
Mike McCarthy (1x winner)
Lovie Smith (1x loser)
Brian Billick (1x winner)
Jeff Fisher (1x loser)
Ron Rivera (1x loser)
Doug Pederson (1x winner)
John Fox (2x loser)
Jim Caldwell (1x loser)
Jim Fassel (1x loser)
Dan Quinn (1x loser)
Ken Whisenhunt (1x loser)
Zac Taylor (1x loser)
Bill Callahan (1x loser)

-- Unless you're named Billy and/or have Five Aces, it's really, really hard to reach more than one Super Bowl. A lot of truly great coaches never even got there to begin with Which makes it even weirder that John Fox of all people did it twice.

-- When's the last time you thought about Ken Whisenhunt? I wonder how many people memory-holed him and now pretend Arians coached that 2008 team.

-- I'm just old enough to remember when Steelers fans were tired of Cowher and thought he would never win the big one. Still feels kinda weird to see him hang around long enough to finally get a ring and walk into Canton 15 years later.

-- There are way too many white dudes named "Mike" coaching in this league.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think Reich loses his job during the season. His seat is heating up but I don't think Irsay will do any mid season firing. Especially since I don't think any coaches on staff are really head coach material or would do any better.

It's more likely Gus gets thrown out first if the defense keeps playing like they have.

I think Frank is safe for the season for sure. Irsay is on record as not wanting to do midseason firings, and I think he genuinely likes and respects Reich enough to let him play out the string. But if things continue the way they are I think the whole coaching staff is out on Black Monday, and at that point the only question is whether Ballard gets a chance to hire another coach or if he's out too.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I only saw some pieces of the game but didn't Matt Ryan just suck major rear end? Is that Reich's fault?

The team itself has major issues too. A decent if vanilla defense, okay but underperforming o line but who is the number wideout? Michael Pittman, you've gotta kidding me. They have created some major holes through bad drafting and bad FA

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
If Ryan can't even be better than 2020 Philip Rivers then I don't know what we're doing here. Luck's been gone for 3 years now, you've had plenty of time to find his long-term replacement. They just keep slapping Band-Aids on the position every year and expecting different results.

I haven't liked the Colts' decision-making for a while and it seems like it's all coming home to roost now.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I think Hackett doesn’t make it to black monday

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Benne posted:

If Ryan can't even be better than 2020 Philip Rivers then I don't know what we're doing here. Luck's been gone for 3 years now, you've had plenty of time to find his long-term replacement. They just keep slapping Band-Aids on the position every year and expecting different results.

I haven't liked the Colts' decision-making for a while and it seems like it's all coming home to roost now.

*guy in a business suit smoking a cigar*

"what if we signed Joe Flacco"

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Flikken posted:

Fire Joe Woods

Unfortunately, Haslam will just fire Stefanski at the end of the season. Which I guess does mean we'd probably fire Woods at least.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Play posted:

I only saw some pieces of the game but didn't Matt Ryan just suck major rear end? Is that Reich's fault?

The team itself has major issues too. A decent if vanilla defense, okay but underperforming o line but who is the number wideout? Michael Pittman, you've gotta kidding me. They have created some major holes through bad drafting and bad FA

The team has a lot of talented players, but right now a lot of them just aren't playing up to their ability. The biggest things are that the pass rush just isn't there and it's been something that they've tried to fix and so far it just has not manifested, and that the WR depth is very shaky. Pittman is actually a top 10-15 WR in the league, but after him there's a huge drop-off where there are a lot of young guys with potential but they haven't shown it yet. The other problem is that they did invest a lot into the offensive line, but not at LT which is where it really counts.

Reich's teams have just shown a continued habit of coming out flat for a lot of games and failing to make adjustments until it's almost too late or it is too late. They start slow every year, then will hit a patch where everything is gelling and they're playing like a real contender, then fall flat.

There may be a possibility of Gus not lasting this first season and Reich maybe turning over playcaller duties for offense or something like that mid-season, but he will make it the whole year.

I think Ballard will probably be feeling the heat as well if some of the draft picks from the past year don't start stepping up and producing.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Hackett looks like the example guy for why there are so many retreads in the league bc if you hire new you might get a dude that's completely in over his head and can't handle basic poo poo like sending a punt returner out on a punt

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Codependent Poster posted:

The team has a lot of talented players, but right now a lot of them just aren't playing up to their ability. The biggest things are that the pass rush just isn't there and it's been something that they've tried to fix and so far it just has not manifested, and that the WR depth is very shaky. Pittman is actually a top 10-15 WR in the league, but after him there's a huge drop-off where there are a lot of young guys with potential but they haven't shown it yet. The other problem is that they did invest a lot into the offensive line, but not at LT which is where it really counts.

Reich's teams have just shown a continued habit of coming out flat for a lot of games and failing to make adjustments until it's almost too late or it is too late. They start slow every year, then will hit a patch where everything is gelling and they're playing like a real contender, then fall flat.

There may be a possibility of Gus not lasting this first season and Reich maybe turning over playcaller duties for offense or something like that mid-season, but he will make it the whole year.

I think Ballard will probably be feeling the heat as well if some of the draft picks from the past year don't start stepping up and producing.

Honestly the one strength Reich brings to the table is his playcalling. If he gives that up there's really no point in keeping him around.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Benne posted:

Rivers in 2020 was pretty good

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

Honestly the one strength Reich brings to the table is his playcalling. If he gives that up there's really no point in keeping him around.

Yeah I like it for the most part, but another of his bad habits is being too cute for his own good and not sticking to the run.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Benne posted:

I mean they did make an effort to find a long term replacement with Carson Wentz, they just chose the wrong guy.

Which might have been obvious at the time to everyone else in the world, but they gave it a shot and thought they could fix him.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Hackett looks like the example guy for why there are so many retreads in the league bc if you hire new you might get a dude that's completely in over his head and can't handle basic poo poo like sending a punt returner out on a punt

The biggest mistake he made was not hiring an old head coach as a coordinator. If you are a new head coach, it's really nice to have some experience to fall back on.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer

OperaMouse posted:

The biggest mistake he made was not hiring an old head coach as a coordinator. If you are a new head coach, it's really nice to have some experience to fall back on.

Dom Capers is a defensive assistant. Someone should probably ask him how to coach.

Or maybe they did and that's the problem, I don't know!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The downside of hiring an experienced assistant is that there's now an experienced assistant on your staff who can take over "just in case." It's about self-preservation more than anything.

Benne fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Sep 19, 2022

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Benne posted:

You can argue with the exact placements if you want, this is not a hot take thing, I just went by general feel and career accomplishments with like 2 minutes of thinking.

Sean Payton (1x winner)
Tony Dungy (1x winner)
Jon Gruden (1x winner)
Tom Coughlin (2x winner)
Bruce Arians (1x winner)
Jim Harbaugh (1x loser)
Mike Martz (1x loser)
Kyle Shanahan (1x loser)
Gary Kubiak (1x winner)
Lovie Smith (1x loser)
Jeff Fisher (1x loser)
Ron Rivera (1x loser)
John Fox (2x loser)
Jim Caldwell (1x loser)
Jim Fassel (1x loser)
Dan Quinn (1x loser)
Zac Taylor (1x loser)
Bill Callahan (1x loser)

yeah I'm gonna argue a bit there

Doug Pederson gave us the best Super Bowl of the century with super playcalling and won as a huge underdog against the top guy on your list.

He certainly outranks all the 1x losers above him on the list. I mean come on, Mr 8-8 himself, Jeff Fisher?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Simplex posted:

Hackett may be the first coach fired this season. He is completely out of his depth.

I wasn’t home to watch the late games. But I walked by a bar and saw them run a galaxy brain sweep to the backup tight end on third and short. Weirdly it did not work

Even the announcers were like “lol. lmao”

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Benne posted:

-- There are way too many white dudes named "Mike" coaching in this league.

John/Jon (Harbaugh, Gruden, Fox) & Jim (Harbaugh, Caldwell, Fassel) could give them a run for their money.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Missing the punt returner feels like it's more on Hackett's coaching staff (particularly the ST coordinator) than Hackett himself tbh. They should be not only watching for this stuff, they should be also coaching the players to be aware of when they might be needed and to be ready to go out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Benne posted:

Last week I was thinking about who are the worst coaches ever to make a Super Bowl, and somehow forgot Bill Callahan as the obvious answer. So I decided to go a little effortpost and quickly rank all the coaches who made a Super Bowl in the 21st Century. I stopped at 2000 because this is the era I grew up with and have more strong feelings about, if a more old-school poster wants to go through the older coaches that would be cool too.

Sean Payton (1x winner)
Tony Dungy (1x winner)
Jon Gruden (1x winner)
Tom Coughlin (2x winner)
Bruce Arians (1x winner)
Jim Harbaugh (1x loser)
Mike Martz (1x loser)
Kyle Shanahan (1x loser)
Gary Kubiak (1x winner)
Lovie Smith (1x loser)
Jeff Fisher (1x loser)
Ron Rivera (1x loser)
John Fox (2x loser)
Jim Caldwell (1x loser)
Jim Fassel (1x loser)
Dan Quinn (1x loser)
Zac Taylor (1x loser)
Bill Callahan (1x loser)

Dougie P is a way better coach than the entire bottom half of this list and also Jon Gruden

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Grittybeard posted:

I mean they did make an effort to find a long term replacement with Carson Wentz, they just chose the wrong guy.

Which might have been obvious at the time to everyone else in the world, but they gave it a shot and thought they could fix him.

Yeah. Wentz was clearly not the answer but it’s not like they had some other opportunity to get a great QB. Same for the Rivers season.

I think FR definitely has some flaws but as a coach I think he’s been pretty great overall. The main issue is that he’s never had a good, reliable QB.

One reason why I think FR will stick around at least one more season is because this 2023 draft class has lots of quality QB prospects. Things can change between now and April, but there are like half a dozen QBs who could warrant spending a first on. The reason that’s so relevant to FR and Indy is that even if they wind up with a pick in the late teens or early 20s, trading up for a decent QB prospect is more plausible because there are so many prospects.

It’d be neat to see Frank with a good qb.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Missing the punt returner feels like it's more on Hackett's coaching staff (particularly the ST coordinator) than Hackett himself tbh. They should be not only watching for this stuff, they should be also coaching the players to be aware of when they might be needed and to be ready to go out.

The problem is that they burned their last time out in a one-score game to get their punt returner out there, where realistically they might not have even needed a returner at all, because all he did was fair catch it at the 9 yard line.

Why did they only have one time-out? Because Nathaniel Hackett the play-caller couldn't get plays in on time. They still had one timeout, because he didn't call a timeout before the play clock expired before a 58-yard field goal attempt that McManus made. Instead Denver took a delay of game penalty and punted. His coaching was a catastrophe today.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Bengals coach is on the hot seat

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

SKULL.GIF posted:

probably true but assembling a competent staff that can communicate with each other is on the HC

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

pmchem posted:

Doug Pederson gave us the best Super Bowl of the century

52 doesn’t hold a candle to 51 and its records, and 49 had the single most consequential play in the history of American team sports

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

wyoak posted:

probably true but assembling a competent staff that can communicate with each other is on the HC

Oh, absolutely, I just think Hackett's gotten plenty of poo poo for a couple weeks. The punt returner being nowhere to be seen feels like the rot is going deeper than just the HC.

edit: The Broncos have 25 penalties in 2 games. 😯

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 19, 2022

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I have to admit I didn't actually watch this game, I only saw the RedZone highlights and the recaps. The actual game...

https://twitter.com/zacstevensdnvr/status/1571618040525225984
https://twitter.com/billym_91/status/1571630818426060802

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The charitable part of me wants to say "you can't expect a first time HC to be perfect right out of the gate", but Daboll somehow has the Daniel Jones Giants at 2-0 so :iiam: There's new coach jitters, and then there's the diarrhea Hackett is laying on the field.

Also if the ST coach is so incompetent he can't even send the right players onto the field for a punt, hiring someone that bad is absolutely on the HC too.

The fact that Reich's Colts only barely forced a tie with this Texans team is also hilarious. Maybe Houston's role this season is to just dance through the league, sowing chaos and failure in each city they visit whether they ultimately win or lose. They face the Bears next, so, I feel like I'm on to something

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
That might be first pick in the draft material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Plenty of first time head coaches manage very basic things like that just fine so I’d say the issue is that Nate Hackett is a special grade idiot and the Broncos did basically no due diligence and just hired him because he’s been Aaron Rodgers ball washer the past few years.