Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Nenonen posted:

I have never seen a moose because they don't exist at least in Europe.

https://www.gbif.org/species/2440940

Alces alces

Are you doing a bit?

https://www.itis.gov/servlet/SingleRpt/SingleRpt?search_topic=TSN&search_value=180703#null

"common name: moose"

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Sep 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

His word choice and him saying he is from Europe make me think that English is not his first language, so I am guessing it's not a bit.

The nuance of "North Americans call something 'moose' that most Europeans call 'elk', and North Americans also use the word 'elk', but it's a different animal entirely" is not something I expect non-native English speakers to know or care about.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The elk / moose confusion seems like a thing most people here know about these days because it's happened so often.

The various names of Alces Alces (Moose) in the nordic countries:
Älg (se)
Elg (da/no)
Elgur (is)
Hirvi (fi)

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I've been away on a military assignment and basically been in a news void. Any news on the Swedish election. Are M caving to SD?

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

His Divine Shadow posted:

The elk / moose confusion seems like a thing most people here know about these days because it's happened so often.
I get that, but as someone who has put in a lot of time and effort to learn a foreign language as an adult, the "are you joking or just a total loving idiot for not understanding this particular linguistic idiosyncracy?" rubs me the wrong way.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Feliday Melody posted:

I've been away on a military assignment and basically been in a news void. Any news on the Swedish election. Are M caving to SD?

Nobody's heard anything yet. The parties are meeting the speaker today, and there's gonna be some kinda press conference in the afternoon. But even then it's still gonna be provisional.

The new parliament is gonna choose a speaker next week, and the new speaker is gonna nominate a prime minister, and then there's gonna be some votes in parliament. Things are gonna happen in the next two weeks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Feliday Melody posted:

Yeah the parties are keeping radio silence to not have media interrupt the negotiations. Officially L says they will not back M and KD if SD becomes a full member of the government, with ministers etc., while there was a brief brouhaha among SD leaders on whether they would demand ministerial posts or not before I assume Jimmie knocked some heads behind the curtain and that died down.

Personally I believe that SD has the political craftiness to not go into a government fully, which could give them an alibi and blame M-KD for everything that blows up the coming four years. Instead they can demand a lot of policy red meat to back a M-KD government, demand that L is kept out, and also make lots of demands on the coming budget. You don't want to be in government if you're a populist anti-establisment party because you risk getting exposed as frauds, just look at the painfully embarrassing mess of SD's own shadow budget that was complete fantasy land (like imagining tons of billions just turning up from thin air).

E: funniest news meanwhile is that L is catching a looot of flack in the EU parliament from their group, as the rest of liberals in Europe have a hard time understand why one of their group members says that it is important to rule together with ethno-nationalists.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 19, 2022

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

lilljonas posted:

Yeah the parties are keeping radio silence to not have media interrupt the negotiations. Officially L says they will not back M and KD if SD becomes a full member of the government, with ministers etc., while there was a brief brouhaha among SD leaders on whether they would demand ministerial posts or not before I assume Jimmie knocked some heads behind the curtain and that died down.

Personally I believe that SD has the political craftiness to not go into a government fully, which could give them an alibi and blame M-KD for everything that blows up the coming four years. Instead they can demand a lot of policy red meat to back a M-KD government, demand that L is kept out, and also make lots of demands on the coming budget. You don't want to be in government if you're a populist anti-establisment party because you risk getting exposed as frauds, just look at the painfully embarrassing mess of SD's own shadow budget that was complete fantasy land (like imagining tons of billions just turning up from thin air).

E: funniest news meanwhile is that L is catching a looot of flack in the EU parliament from their group, as the rest of liberals in Europe have a hard time understand why one of their group members says that it is important to rule together with ethno-nationalists.

SD will have noted the experiences of both Frp and DF in being a junior partner in government and outside of the government, respectively. i think the smart move from their part is to insist on being in government and calling the centrist parties to either collapse the government immediately or fold, but i'm not sure if they have the cohesion to do it. the way these things go key figures can be bought off and momentum can be stalled, especially in the clown parties on the far right - their main objective now is to try and stabilise the situation where they're the bgigest right-wing party. they have a lot of leverage atm and i don't think they would be the ones to suffer from a snap election if one should be necessary

we'll see, i guess. the case of DF definitely seems to indicate that SD are in a precarious place right now. hopefully whatever they choose will go wrong for them.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, that article on the EU group’s reaction was hilarious.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Inferior Third Season posted:

I get that, but as someone who has put in a lot of time and effort to learn a foreign language as an adult, the "are you joking or just a total loving idiot for not understanding this particular linguistic idiosyncracy?" rubs me the wrong way.

Uh, Danish is my fifth language, so I am quite aware of issues around learning languages as an adult.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Ok news coming just this morning: SD still claims that they want to be in the government, says they're ok with L also being part of it. L says nothing.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I vaguelly recall S being open to governing with L (but not V, lol) so I guess it’s theoretically possible that L decides to pull a Centerpartiet and join the Centrists.

Unlikely, but not impossible

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

lilljonas posted:

Ok news coming just this morning: SD still claims that they want to be in the government, says they're ok with L also being part of it. L says nothing.

Where are you seeing this?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Okay, seems to be different reporting of what Åkesson said. Omni writes “Åkesson säger att hans grundinställning fortsatt är att det bästa för Sverige vore en majoritetsregering där SD ingår” but DN cites him saying:

Det är mycket prat om vilka som ska ingå i en regering – de flesta verkar tror att ditt parti inte ska ingå. Hur ser du på det?
– Jag har inget mer att säga i detta. Sverige skulle må bäst av en majoritetsregering.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Star posted:

Where are you seeing this?

https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/a/2BdzLa/akesson-slapper-inte-kravet-pa-majoritetsregering

– Sverige skulle må bra av majoritetsregering, det är min ingång, säger han.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/edvinalpros/status/1571843833213886467?s=46&t=hyqpq0AcCjp1s-6g8MOidg

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

lmao

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
:drat:

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
From Aftonbladet:
Och efteråt förklarade han sitt svek ungefär som en hästskojare hade gjort. Hédi Fried hade missat det finstilta. Han satt inte i hennes kök som Ulf utan som Allians-Ulf och när Alliansen upplöstes hösten 2018 gällde inte hans handslag längre.

Lesson well learned from Lars Løkke who openly and proudly switches between roles (and seemingly even personalities) in the name of political expediency.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jeebus bob posted:

From Aftonbladet:
Och efteråt förklarade han sitt svek ungefär som en hästskojare hade gjort. Hédi Fried hade missat det finstilta. Han satt inte i hennes kök som Ulf utan som Allians-Ulf och när Alliansen upplöstes hösten 2018 gällde inte hans handslag längre.

Lesson well learned from Lars Løkke who openly and proudly switches between roles (and seemingly even personalities) in the name of political expediency.

this is a weird trend in our time

torbjørn røe isaksen left the conservative party when he got a big journalistic job. now shorn of that affiliation he can be expected to be objective

it's like they think that these things have some magical attribute and that you just gain a new set of values when your circumstances change. moreover it's like they think that this would be a *good* thing

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
En Ulf i fåreklæder :haw:

Cirvot
Oct 21, 2012
https://www.svd.se/a/3E6BEL/s-for-samtal-med-kd-c-och-l-i-region-stockholm-skulle-fa-majoritet

This is from the Stockholm region election so not relevant to all but I feel like this is 2022 Swedish politics in a nutshell. S goes into the election as opposition promising to save the healthcare system from failing after the right wing parties have had majority in that region forever and failing at it. Post election S immidiately start looking right for cooperiation rather than left, despite people voting S specifially to get rid of the right's rule in the region.

TL;DR: People vote S to get rid of the right in the Stockholm region. S immediately wants to cooperate right rather than left, post election.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

S are slimy af. C are bougie. V and MP are incompetent morons. Rest are right-wingers.

You lose no matter which one you voted for.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

S are slimy af. C are bougie. V and MP are incompetent morons. Rest are right-wingers.

You lose no matter which one you voted for.

I'll take incompetent morons over evil bastards any day. Sad to see that S won't.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks an IK election for the memes is not too interesting at the time, so before I go down the shortlist I have, y'all have the option to publicly nominate/debate someone you'd like to see do it, or to try falling on sword yourself (assuming people itt actually support you on that). Speaking of mod preference, Cardiac is not eligible, of course, and McCloud isn't as well - I know they wanted to, and seem to be reasonably well received both here and on the mod forum, but that rap sheet is inadmissable.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Alright then, maybe vote? As much as I as a norwegian am used to having swedes do the skitarbete, it's time for eneveldet igjen. Vote Kong Christian III A Buttery Pastry

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The Transit Costs Project (Alon Levy of Pedestrian Observations et al) released their Sweden case study the other day, and as a train nerd I of course read it. The main takeaway is that Swedish rail tunnel construction is quite cheap by international standards (adjusted for purchasing power), but it's been getting more expensive and some recent trends are not looking promising. The main thing driving costs up is of course trends in public procurement.

Some of the factors that the report points out as keeping costs down are:
  • Project planning is done by apolitical civil servants with infrastructure expertise; politicians get to approve or reject projects but don't really get to meddle in details like where metro stops are
  • Ongoing projects are not usually sabotaged or cancelled when there's a change of political administration
  • Procurement generally does design and build as separate contracts ("design-bid-build") with design generally done in-house by civil servants with consultant assistance, which the report argues is better than one big design-build contract
  • Public procurement contract structures are generally pretty good; changes can be accommodated to some degree during the project without giving the contractor free hands to overrun costs as they wish
  • Contracts are typically not awarded based on lowest cost alone; there is usually also a technical scoring
  • Expensive lawsuits are relatively rare, for various reasons (compromise/consensus culture and Nordic legal tradition are possible contributing factors)

However, there are also some worrying trends and things that could be done better:
  • Trafikverket explicitly wants to get rid of their own in-house engineering resources and transition towards being a "pure client", which is almost certain to drive up costs
  • Relatedly, design-build contracts are also becoming more common, partially because contractors prefer more freedom but also because it's trendy in English-speaking countries
  • The infrastructure community has blind spots; it's happy to learn from other Nordic countries and is influenced a lot by English-speaking countries, but essentially never looks towards southern Europe or Asia
  • Those blind spots are a problem because there's a lot to learn from countries that the Nordics don't consider prestigious, such as Italy, Turkey and Spain - perhaps most importantly, all of those use design-bid-build contracts.

So in other words it's basically the same problems as everywhere else; the civil service is divesting its core competencies and is transitioning to outsourcing things to the private sector instead, and of course the private sector is happy to rip the government off.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Looks an IK election for the memes is not too interesting at the time, so before I go down the shortlist I have, y'all have the option to publicly nominate/debate someone you'd like to see do it, or to try falling on sword yourself (assuming people itt actually support you on that). Speaking of mod preference, Cardiac is not eligible, of course, and McCloud isn't as well - I know they wanted to, and seem to be reasonably well received both here and on the mod forum, but that rap sheet is inadmissable.

out of the candidates shortlisted earlier, A Buttery Pastry, lilljonas and His Divine Shadow would all be fine in my book, but none of them deserve that punishment

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Sep 21, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nice piece of fish posted:

Alright then, maybe vote?

That would be perfectly fine by me. There are a few more people that would fall on the wrong side of mod veto, but I don’t foresee any of them being voted in by a fair thread consensus.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Buttery paste is fine.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Jag gillar fika så en röst för wienerbrödet.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

thotsky posted:

Buttery paste is fine.

:hmmyes:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
+ 1 to the butter regime

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

I’ll give the votes and debate until I wake up tomorrow, but this seems to be predictable enough to go ahead with asking the goon themselves in the meantime, if they’re interested in being one, or at least susceptible to the thread consensus or sacrificing themselves to keep the northern perfidery in line.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Congrats to our new IK, Alces alces

Majestic.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Rust Martialis posted:

Majestic.

This is an idiot i can get behind!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Rust Martialis posted:

Majestic.

Takes a lot of guts to be a moose.

Wanna see?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rust Martialis posted:

Majestic.

Skogens kongle.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Skogens kongle.

Kongälg

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Djungelknugen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I already like elg's policy on car culture. Death to drivers

But also positive on the Austrian idiot, who has the advantage of not being Swedish.