Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

teagone posted:

With your specs, I would personally keep the 1060 and move onto 12th gen intel platform if I were wanting to make any sort of upgrade. Or wait to see how 13th gen Intel pans out.

I say this because it's similar to what I just did: moved on from an i7-4770 (best-ish in socket CPU for the board it was dropped into) to an i5-12400 I got for $140ish from Microcenter, and kept my GTX 1660 Ti.

Yeah if there's no meaningful benefit to throwing money into the GPU, I'll just keep this set up and wait to upgrade everything at once when there's either a crazy sale or clearance on a PC and get whatever gpu is the best deal at the time. Then this can be my streaming PC. For now it'll play anything if I tweak settings and I have a series X for any blockbuster titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomtrain
Sep 12, 2006
A mood train?

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

So is there a good aggregator for all these random GPU deals going on right now? I've mostly been reliant on SA but trying to look back on past deals or whatever is hard without a dedicated content stream.

Ive always used https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/ in the past. You can filter posts to only GPUs or whatever part you want. The comments of any thread are usually discussing how good a deal it is compared to whatever the previous historical low was.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

RodShaft posted:

I'm right now running at 1060 TI with 6 GB. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade? I'm afraid my ancient server that I use as a gaming computer might be a bottleneck with The CPU in it. If it's not going to be a meaningful upgrade, I'll just wait until I do the whole system and hopefully a better GPU will be around $200 then.

here's my specs

Edit: It now has 48 GB of RAM because I had to make a breakpoint for a coupon on AliExpress, but that didn't really affect anything.

User benchmark is really bad for a wide variety of reasons but take a look at this recently submitted i3 12100/gtx 1650S score: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55362305

All scores are you vs that submission
Memory (cache?): 91.1 vs 82.6
1 core: 89.2 vs 171
2 core: 182 vs 340
4 core: 350 vs 521
8 core (thread): 480 vs 849
Single core RAM: 14.2GB/s vs 17.6GB/s

The RAM on that 12100F submission is complete garbage - 1 stick at default JEDEC timings. I’ll look for another but the point remains that the <$100 cpu is double the single thread. performance.

edit: 33.5GB/s single core on this one at Intel recommended max of 3200MT/s https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/55291007

Oh and normally you don’t say that PCIE speeds matter but in your case it absolutely does because you have a 16x PCIE 2 slot which means the GPU’s DMA is limited to a theoretical max of 8GB/s which is less than your RAM can do. Pascal cards use PCIE3 so can do up 15.8GB/s. Most GPU operations involving moving bits around on the card itself but you’re certainly CPU/RAM/mobo limited when the card needs to load something from main memory.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 19, 2022

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Something I was kind of surprised by in the very niche arena of iGPU decoding:

I have an Asus OLED laptop that I use to stream with an Intel 1165-G7 in it. Streaming Moonlight to the laptop from my desktop with a 3080 (with HEVC 80mbit), I get:

average rendering time: 0.07-0.12ms

Just to compare, from Amazon I bought a newer Asus OLED laptop with a Ryzen 5900HX. Same exact Win11 system version, clean install, everything up to date, nothing else running, Moonlight instead consistently hovers around:

average rendering time: 0.32-0.93ms with spikes past 1ms

That doesn't tell the whole story, swiping the mouse cursor around I can see there's about an extra frame of lag at least.

So I guess the conclusion is Ryzen's newest iGPU HEVC decoder is slower that Intel's last gen, I would have expected the opposite from AMD since they seem to historically have the most powerful iGPUs?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 19, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

So I guess the conclusion is Ryzen's newest iGPU HEVC decoder is slower that Intel's last gen, I would have expected the opposite from AMD since they seem to historically have the most powerful iGPUs?

AMD has the most powerful iGPUs for gaming, but Intel's iGPUs have niche advantages related to how they're used in lots of laptops and non-gaming productivity contexts (like encoding!)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
QuickSync is huge for low-end stuff like Plex servers. I'm surprised AMD either doesn't have an equivalent or support for such is barely there.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I just hope that the new 4000-series FEs are offered in my market (the Nordics) and retain their compact size. 3-series were not, and the only sane sized AIB ones were the EVGA XC3s that would fit in my obscure selection of a cases (Fractal Design R6, Ncase M1)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
after 3 years, the 1660 supers here finally dropped below their late 2019 prices

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kivi posted:

retain their compact size. 3-series were not, and the only sane sized AIB ones were the EVGA XC3s that would fit in my obscure selection of a cases (Fractal Design R6, Ncase M1)

Not a chance, I'd bet anything they are bigger across the board.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

3 slot 4060 let's go baby.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I don't know, the 4080 16GB is supposedly has about the same TDP as the 3080, and they recently name changed the would-be 4070 to 4080 12GB, so it seems plausible that the TDPs will remain pretty similar across the board.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Zero VGS posted:

Something I was kind of surprised by in the very niche arena of iGPU decoding:

I have an Asus OLED laptop that I use to stream with an Intel 1165-G7 in it. Streaming Moonlight to the laptop from my desktop with a 3080 (with HEVC 80mbit), I get:

average rendering time: 0.07-0.12ms

Just to compare, from Amazon I bought a newer Asus OLED laptop with a Ryzen 5900HX. Same exact Win11 system version, clean install, everything up to date, nothing else running, Moonlight instead consistently hovers around:

average rendering time: 0.32-0.93ms with spikes past 1ms

That doesn't tell the whole story, swiping the mouse cursor around I can see there's about an extra frame of lag at least.

Are you 100% it’s running in hardware not software? Because that’s 5-8 times as slow.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Igor’s Lab tackles the EVGA thing

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Definitely correct me if I’m wrong because I likely am, but the takeaway I’m getting from Igor’s POV is:

-EVGA’s claim about selling things at a loss due to NVIDIA was just shifting blame

-EVGA put a lot of money and resources into making their cards vastly different, and this has had some financial blowback when things get RMA’d more as a result.

-On that note, New World ruined a lot of EVGA cards (did it actually? I had the impression some amount of them were affected but Igor seems to imply this was a much much bigger ordeal).

-EVGAs customer friendly warranty, upgrade policy and RMA process wasn’t helping their financial woes as they were already suffering from the above.

-EVGA used to be petty and withheld review units on things if their products didn’t get high marks.

Did I get the gist of this? The article looks like it’s for an audience more familiar with industry trends than I am so I think I was missing some references

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is $550 shipped for a used 3080 FE a decent deal or should I wait?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

buglord posted:

Did I get the gist of this? The article looks like it’s for an audience more familiar with industry trends than I am so I think I was missing some references

Yeah, that's what I'm pulling from it. I think EVGA is full of poo poo if they are saying they lose money selling cards, they'd have stopped manufacturing a long while back if that were the case. I'm also a little skeptical about the New World's claim, but I can see even a relatively small number of expensive cards soaking up a lot of profit.

quote:

-EVGAs customer friendly warranty, upgrade policy and RMA process wasn’t helping their financial woes as they were already suffering from the above.

This is definitely true. The quote from other partners that if a step-up program was profitable they'd all be doing it is very true.

Also German guy thinks German companies are much better. Shocking.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

buglord posted:

-On that note, New World ruined a lot of EVGA cards (did it actually? I had the impression some amount of them were affected but Igor seems to imply this was a much much bigger ordeal).

I won't comment on the rest of it but the New World thing affected a lot of cards, but EVGA's were what the first people who found out were using so the story became it was an EVGA thing. Then by the time reporting had moved onto realising it affected a lot of 3090s most people had taken "game breaks EVGA cards" as the story.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Yeah, that's what I'm pulling from it. I think EVGA is full of poo poo if they are saying they lose money selling cards, they'd have stopped manufacturing a long while back if that were the case.

I think they were losing money on the 3080 and up but making money on the rest of the stack. I would not be surprised if Nvidia forced AIBs to buy a certain number of those "loss leader" cards (that Nvidia also prohibited from selling above a certain price ceiling) in order to also purchase the ones they actually make money on.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
From the videos I saw on Linus Tech Tips, a lot of companies lose money on card sales but then get it back from NVIDIA as part of a rewards program that basically keeps them hostage to NVIDIAs demands. That might just be sellers though and not AIBs.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kerbtree posted:

Are you 100% it’s running in hardware not software? Because that’s 5-8 times as slow.

Yes, Moonlight lets you force hardware decode, if it can't do it, it simply won't run instead of defaulting to software. I also disable the discrete GPU in Device Manager to make sure it doesn't render with the Nvidia card.

Decoding with the Nvidia GPU is always slower because it has to copy back to the CPU to reach the laptop display, but interestingly that is much lower latency on the Ryzen than the Intel.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
lol amazon killing evga gpu division. lmao

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Does anyone know if that's a DeepL-generated translation or something? All the comments are quoting the German article and some of the phrasing is quite funky. I'm not complaining it just sounds a little bit, well, quaint here and there.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah the English version of IgorsLab is rough, many of their articles have a disclaimer that it's a machine translation with no cleanup

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

lol amazon killing evga gpu division. lmao

Huh? What does Amazon have to do with EVGA?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The game New World (by Amazon) triggered a failure case that caused some cards (particularly EVGA 3090s) to self destruct

Not really the games fault, but the association stuck

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

repiv posted:

The game New World (by Amazon) triggered a failure case that caused some cards (particularly EVGA 3090s) to self destruct

Wasn't it actually even just the game's menu or loading screen?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Wasn't it actually even just the game's menu or loading screen?

Yes, with no fps limit:

https://twitter.com/playnewworld/status/1417950750416596994?s=46&t=WiD5fC54knO5pDSd5LQoMw

https://twitter.com/jayztwocents/status/1418107831786434561?s=46&t=WiD5fC54knO5pDSd5LQoMw

idk why it became “it’s an evga issue” though?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Is $550 shipped for a used 3080 FE a decent deal or should I wait?

If this is new, then yes, it's a decent deal (also share where). If it's used, then those are as low as $500 on ebay. But if you know for sure it's not a mining card, then still yes.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 19, 2022

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

repiv posted:

I’m aware of that but Zedsdeadbaby’s post makes it sound like an Amazon business unit or something.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

idk why it became “it’s an evga issue” though?

Because it happened predominantly to their cards, and it was a result of a hardware flaw. Nobody was really able to substantiate claims that a significant number of other cards were dying.

The issue was likely due to sub-millisecond power spikes frying the memory controller or something.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

In a weird coincidence, that might actually be due in no small part to Igor's lab; they released a series of articles claiming design flaws in evgas cards, blaming the new world thing on the fan controller I think?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

EVGA themselves admitted that the cards probably died due to poor soldering on some batches

https://www.pcworld.com/article/395090/evga-explains-how-amazons-mmo-bricked-24-geforce-rtx-3090s.html

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
How does one know if they got a bad batch?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

I don't think they ever stated the exact batch numbers or serial range, just that the 3090 is the only model affected, and that the flawed cards were early units manufactured in 2020

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If this is new, then yes, it's a decent deal (also share where). If it's used, then those are as low as $500 on ebay. But if you know for sure it's not a mining card, then still yes.

To add to this: remember that it is easy to re-shrink-wrap something. There was a viral post going around earlier of some 3090's "new in box, still shrink wrapped!" but if you looked at the person's old completed listings they had recently unloaded a bunch of empty mining rigs and before then a bunch of "new, sealed" Alienware systems which had the GPUs missing.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I just tried to catch up on something like 400 posts in this thread, which I scanned through admittedly on the quick side, and I'm not sure I'm following all the comments on the economics of the near future, with inflation/recessions etc

I was thinking of buying a new computer sometime Q1-2 of 2023, would it be better to buy now, or to wait? Are components going to become more expensive due to increased scarcity?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d wait.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Femur posted:

How does one know if they got a bad batch?

IIRC it had something to do with partners not putting enough MLCC capacitors and instead using all POSCAPS

https://www.hardwaretimes.com/asus-rtx-3080-gpus-use-the-best-caps-followed-by-fe-zotac-has-the-worst/

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 19, 2022

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
i thought the capacitor thing was a red herring and not the actual problem, just an early theory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Listerine posted:

I just tried to catch up on something like 400 posts in this thread, which I scanned through admittedly on the quick side, and I'm not sure I'm following all the comments on the economics of the near future, with inflation/recessions etc

I was thinking of buying a new computer sometime Q1-2 of 2023, would it be better to buy now, or to wait? Are components going to become more expensive due to increased scarcity?

Wait. There may be some momentary supply chain hiccups following the upcoming product launches, but I don't see the kind of long-term scarcity we had in 2021 returning (absent any additional major world crises)

Crypto mining is effectively dead, and component manufacturers across the industry seem to have more supply than they want. You will have more options available to you next spring, and prices should be lower.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 19, 2022