Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

SKULL.GIF posted:

I have to admit I didn't actually watch this game, I only saw the RedZone highlights and the recaps. The actual game...

https://twitter.com/zacstevensdnvr/status/1571618040525225984
https://twitter.com/billym_91/status/1571630818426060802

That was a really quick whistle for the delay of game. Clock hit 00, but refs usually give a full second so they can check everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/diannaESPN/status/1571533334047608834?s=20&t=aEt0XnbIzkePEIXWFgBWWQ

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

this is one of the funniest things I've ever seen

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

All the energy of a funeral for someone you only vaguely knew

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Waiting for the queen's casket to enter frame

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

hello my fellow gentlemen, let us partake in a game of the football on this fine day

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Rhule looks like David Cross

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Getting ready to lose to the horrific Giants.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

I just cannot believe this.

"Grim"

Not how you want your professional football team to look before the game against Daniel Jones.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

pasaluki posted:

I just cannot believe this.

"Grim"

Not how you want your professional football team to look before the game against Daniel Jones.

And this is the easy part of their schedule. They've got 3 homegames on deck against pretty flawed teams, but if they're 0-3 in these... he's gotta have been fired right?

Saints
Cardinals
49ers
@Rams
Buccaneers
@Falcons
@Bengals
Falcons
@Ravens
Broncos
<Bye>
@Seahawks
Steelers
Lions
@Buccaneers
@Saints

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Kalli posted:

And this is the easy part of their schedule. They've got 3 homegames on deck against pretty flawed teams, but if they're 0-3 in these... he's gotta have been fired right?

Saints
Cardinals
49ers
@Rams
Buccaneers
@Falcons
@Bengals
Falcons
@Ravens
Broncos
<Bye>
@Seahawks
Steelers
Lions
@Buccaneers
@Saints

Albright said Rhule has to make the playoffs or he’s gone. Unclear if tepper would wait until they’re mathematically eliminated or just be able to read the room.

There’s a lot of coaching drama surfacing between the Rhule/Snow and the rest of the coaches with nfl experience.

Also rumors that chinn and burns want out. Burns has apparently told this to Steve smith and peppers.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Might as well schedule a flight to Nebraska now

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

What does firing Rhule after 5 games realistically accomplish? Even if he opens 0-5, is there anyone on the staff that Tepper thinks has "coaching potential"?

If firing him lets you keep Chinn/Burns and prevents a locker room revolt, then, sure, but I don't see having an interim coach as being a real improvement.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SKULL.GIF posted:

What does firing Rhule after 5 games realistically accomplish? Even if he opens 0-5, is there anyone on the staff that Tepper thinks has "coaching potential"?

If firing him lets you keep Chinn/Burns and prevents a locker room revolt, then, sure, but I don't see having an interim coach as being a real improvement.

I don't think they'll fire him either no matter how bad it gets before season's end. But I see several guys on that staff who could hold the fort down for the rest of the season and not be in danger of winning the job long term which is what I worry about with interim coaches.

Let Paul Pasqualoni run the team, he can do it to the point of things not totally imploding. And even if they somehow end up with a few good wins you aren't hiring him. McAdoo would be the dangerous interim I guess.

e: Now Rhule might leave on his own and Petrino his way out of there, that's a possibility if Nebraska loads up a truck full of money and brings it to him.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Steve wilks or Al Holcomb would be the natural choices to take over head coach, assuming Phil snow is poo poo canned too.

Joe Lombard son Matt is on the staff too if tepper wants to make things worse.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean I haven't watched either game, but going by gdt posts, and that video, the Panthers players look pretty close to if not already having quit on their coach.

At a point you're just firing him to avoid completely losing a year of development for your players.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Matt Rhule very clearly doesn't even want to be there anymore. He's loving miserable.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I just

https://twitter.com/pff_macri/status/1571880730099073025?s=46&t=vAWcG7i83o6J2zdiMHp1FA

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

FizFashizzle posted:

Albright said Rhule has to make the playoffs or he’s gone. Unclear if tepper would wait until they’re mathematically eliminated or just be able to read the room.

There’s a lot of coaching drama surfacing between the Rhule/Snow and the rest of the coaches with nfl experience.

Also rumors that chinn and burns want out. Burns has apparently told this to Steve smith and peppers.

Since 1970 only 38 out of 400 teams that started 0-2 made the playoffs
Since 1980 only 6 out of 176 teams that started 0-3 made the playoffs
Since 1980 only 1 out of 113 teams that started 0-4 made the playoffs

Basically Rhule should packing his bags at this point

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

What team was the one?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Hackett looks like the example guy for why there are so many retreads in the league bc if you hire new you might get a dude that's completely in over his head and can't handle basic poo poo like sending a punt returner out on a punt

He’s a Failson, he’s actually making the opposite point

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

DeimosRising posted:

What team was the one?

Wanna say that was a Chargers team at some point in the last decade or so?

Edit: right team but way off on the year. It was 1992 apparently

\/\/\/ Yeah, that.

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 19, 2022

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Quiet Feet posted:

Wanna say that was a Chargers team at some point in the last decade or so?

92 chargers iirc

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I don't know what the context is here but it sounds really dumb.
https://twitter.com/BookofEllis/status/1571920057982418945

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
dumber
by
the
week

Nov 6, 2002

Matt Rhule: whoever is in charge around here needs to look into this.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Docjowles posted:

The charitable part of me wants to say "you can't expect a first time HC to be perfect right out of the gate", but Daboll somehow has the Daniel Jones Giants at 2-0 so :iiam: There's new coach jitters, and then there's the diarrhea Hackett is laying on the field.

The giants are 100% the panthers of last year. Or maybe the year before, whenever they started 4-0 and people wanted to believe despite themselves. They surprised a very questionable and flat titans team by a tiny bit, then squeaked one out against the pretty bad panthers. They're gonna fall back to reality imo.

They haven't scored more than 21 points or won by more than three points. Barkley is a legit bright spot, and they look better talent wise than the last couple years in several areas (o line, WRs, RB, etc), but I don't think they will end up a particularly good team this year and watching their games is still pretty much a slog, just one that happens to end in victory.

Not to say that Hackett hasn't been terrible because he has. There are things purely on him, but I'll also say that RW and the team haven't played up to their ability either

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kalli posted:

I mean I haven't watched either game, but going by gdt posts, and that video, the Panthers players look pretty close to if not already having quit on their coach.

At a point you're just firing him to avoid completely losing a year of development for your players.

Yeah I think firing Rhule to keep players engaged, relatively happy, and developing, is the victory.

Plus, if Rhule is fired then you don’t want to win many games this year. Wind up with a Top 5 pick in a draft with multiple good QB prospects makes the vacant HC position look a lot more attractive.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

DariusLikewise posted:

Since 1970 only 38 out of 400 teams that started 0-2 made the playoffs
Since 1980 only 6 out of 176 teams that started 0-3 made the playoffs
Since 1980 only 1 out of 113 teams that started 0-4 made the playoffs

Basically Rhule should packing his bags at this point

Asterisk: 14 playoff teams only since 2020.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Play posted:

The giants are 100% the panthers of last year. Or maybe the year before, whenever they started 4-0 and people wanted to believe despite themselves. They surprised a very questionable and flat titans team by a tiny bit, then squeaked one out against the pretty bad panthers. They're gonna fall back to reality imo.

They haven't scored more than 21 points or won by more than three points. Barkley is a legit bright spot, and they look better talent wise than the last couple years in several areas (o line, WRs, RB, etc), but I don't think they will end up a particularly good team this year and watching their games is still pretty much a slog, just one that happens to end in victory.

Not to say that Hackett hasn't been terrible because he has. There are things purely on him, but I'll also say that RW and the team haven't played up to their ability either

Yeah I am in no way saying I think the Giants are good. It’s possible if not probable they will finish last in their division despite Dallas losing Dak and their entire O line. They have nothing outside of Barkley.

My point is just that Daboll proves it’s possible to be a first time HC, even of a bad team, and not puke on your shoes. Hackett looks like a fan who won a “coach the team for a day” contest.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I feel it's always better to use tiers with rankings like these:

S
Bill Belichick (6x winner, 3x loser)

A+
Andy Reid (1x winner, 2x loser)
Mike Tomlin (1x winner, 1x loser)

A (good but not proven or with flaws like telling the owner he's a little boy)
Sean McVay (1x winner, 1x loser)
Sean Payton (1x winner)
Mike Holmgren (1x winner, 2x loser)
Pete Carroll (1x winner, 1x loser)
Tony Dungy (1x winner)
John Harbaugh (1x winner)
Dick Vermeil (1x winner, 1x loser)
Bill Cowher (1x winner, 1x loser)
Tom Coughlin (2x winner)
Bruce Arians (1x winner)
Jim Harbaugh (1x loser)
Kyle Shanahan (1x loser)
Gary Kubiak (1x winner)

B
Jon Gruden (1x winner)
Mike McCarthy (1x winner)
Lovie Smith (1x loser)
Brian Billick (1x winner)
Jeff Fisher (1x loser)
Mike Martz (1x loser)
Ron Rivera (1x loser)
Doug Pederson (1x winner)
Jim Caldwell (1x loser)
Dan Quinn (1x loser)

C
John Fox (2x loser)
Ken Whisenhunt (1x loser)
Zac Taylor (1x loser)
Bill Callahan (1x loser)
Jim Fassel (1x loser)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I still think its too early to pass judgement on Zac Taylor. He took a team that was a tire fire and got it to the super bowl in three years. The GM drafted or signed good players but it was Zac who hired his staff that coached up the players, old and new. The big example being the DC who found a way to shut down Mahomes enough for the team's offense to get a it in gear and get a lead, in two different games in one season. Falling behind early frequently is a sign of bad preparation or playcalling but being able to catch up and secure a win in those situations is a sign of good coaching in its own way.

I guess some of that is my opinion/how I look at it so I guess my sticking point is that unlike guys like Callahan, Gruden, and Pederson... Taylor didnt inherit a good or at least decent roster and get it to the Super Bowl the next year/within a few years. Taylor took a bare cupboard and coached the team through the meatgrinder that is the AFC to get to the Super Bowl in his third year.

Its a bad sign for Zac Taylor if he sticks with his OL coach if the OL doesnt show improvement this year. Its a credit to him that they got to the big game with a bottom 5 OL but when your team spends that much in FA to try to fix it and your QB gets sacked 12 times in 2 games, uh, shits broke dude.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sean McVay is a tremendous coward and still handing off to Cam Akers somewhere

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I still think its too early to pass judgement on Zac Taylor. He took a team that was a tire fire and got it to the super bowl in three years. The GM drafted or signed good players but it was Zac who hired his staff that coached up the players, old and new. The big example being the DC who found a way to shut down Mahomes enough for the team's offense to get a it in gear and get a lead, in two different games in one season. Falling behind early frequently is a sign of bad preparation or playcalling but being able to catch up and secure a win in those situations is a sign of good coaching in its own way.

I guess some of that is my opinion/how I look at it so I guess my sticking point is that unlike guys like Callahan, Gruden, and Pederson... Taylor didnt inherit a good or at least decent roster and get it to the Super Bowl the next year/within a few years. Taylor took a bare cupboard and coached the team through the meatgrinder that is the AFC to get to the Super Bowl in his third year.

Its a bad sign for Zac Taylor if he sticks with his OL coach if the OL doesnt show improvement this year. Its a credit to him that they got to the big game with a bottom 5 OL but when your team spends that much in FA to try to fix it and your QB gets sacked 12 times in 2 games, uh, shits broke dude.

there's a chance the bengals o-line just needs time to gel. like the pats o-line last year looked horrific and then got their poo poo squared away after 4-5 games. an entirely new o-line's gonna take a min.

it's still just two games so yea, I agree with waiting to see how things shake out still but they definitely need to make some adjustments

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Relentlessboredomm posted:

there's a chance the bengals o-line just needs time to gel. like the pats o-line last year looked horrific and then got their poo poo squared away after 4-5 games. an entirely new o-line's gonna take a min.

it's still just two games so yea, I agree with waiting to see how things shake out still but they definitely need to make some adjustments
Agreed, I've seen a number of examples like yours over the years like yours about the Patriots OL last year, which is a big reason why I think its early to judge. Just like people talked about the Packers getting blown out week 1 last year then ended up 13-4, I could see the Bengos turning it around midway through the season. That could get Joe Burrow hurt and/or in the AFC keep them out of the playoffs this year, but I just think its way too early to crown Taylor as bad. They just played two teams with ferocious pass rushes so with time and playing weaker teams they could suddenly look great.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

OperaMouse posted:

Asterisk: 14 playoff teams only since 2020.

The last 0-2 team(s) to make the playoffs was in 2018 so expanding the field has not be particularity helpful

Nov 6, 2002

Isentropy posted:

I feel it's always better to use tiers with rankings like these:

Still too complicated.

Helpful
Bill Belichick (6x winner, 3x loser)
Andy Reid (1x winner, 2x loser)
Mike Tomlin (1x winner, 1x loser)
Sean McVay (1x winner, 1x loser)
Sean Payton (1x winner)
Pete Carroll (1x winner, 1x loser)
John Harbaugh (1x winner)
Jim Harbaugh (1x loser)
Kyle Shanahan (1x loser)

Inert
Mike Holmgren (1x winner, 2x loser)
Tony Dungy (1x winner)
Dick Vermeil (1x winner, 1x loser)
Bill Cowher (1x winner, 1x loser)
Bruce Arians (1x winner)
Gary Kubiak (1x winner)
Lovie Smith (1x loser)
Ron Rivera (1x loser)
Doug Pederson (1x winner)
Jim Caldwell (1x loser)

Harmful
Tom Coughlin (2x winner)
Jon Gruden (1x winner)
Mike McCarthy (1x winner)
Brian Billick (1x winner)
Jeff Fisher (1x loser)
Mike Martz (1x loser)
Dan Quinn (1x loser)
John Fox (2x loser)
Ken Whisenhunt (1x loser)
Zac Taylor (1x loser)
Bill Callahan (1x loser)
Jim Fassel (1x loser)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Still too complicated.

:hmmyes:

Lovie would need an asterisk that goes something like "do not let him anywhere near offense" but I like this better

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah. Wentz was clearly not the answer but it’s not like they had some other opportunity to get a great QB. Same for the Rivers season.

I think FR definitely has some flaws but as a coach I think he’s been pretty great overall. The main issue is that he’s never had a good, reliable QB.

One reason why I think FR will stick around at least one more season is because this 2023 draft class has lots of quality QB prospects. Things can change between now and April, but there are like half a dozen QBs who could warrant spending a first on. The reason that’s so relevant to FR and Indy is that even if they wind up with a pick in the late teens or early 20s, trading up for a decent QB prospect is more plausible because there are so many prospects.

It’d be neat to see Frank with a good qb.

Yeah, the real solution here is suck with Matt Ryan and then make it a priority to draft a quarterback in next year's draft, go all in on offensive line during free agency so dude doesn't get turned into Luck regardless of any other positional weakness, take your lumps, and develop things from there all with Reich still in charge, because I don't think he's that bad of a coach and taking shots at a dumpster fire retread and two stars who are just completely burnt out doesn't seem a great estimation of his abilities. But I doubt he gets that far. Hopefully he gets a fresh chance somewhere else, because these issues seem out of his hands and mainly the fault of the GM. But maybe there's something I'm not seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Wait the Colts line sucks now? Thought they'd been doing well